The Twilight Saga

Against All Odds (PG) AU/AH One-Shot - Edward is Mute, Bella is Blind

Background on this one-shot fan fiction:
Many of you have read TwiHigh’s hysterical parody: Mindreading the Mindreader. But how many of you knew she was also an accomplished piano player and even composes her own songs sometimes? Well, neither did I. . . until today!

In one of our many side-bar conversations, TwiHigh brought up an idea she had for an All-Human Edward/Bella story where he is mute and she is blind. At first I didn’t see the draw for such a story. It seemed a bit depressing, but the longer I thought about it, the more it grew on me. In Twilight, the love that grows between Edward and Bella catches our hearts because it seems so IMPOSSIBLE to begin with. They are from different worlds and the mythical and the real are not supposed to be intermixed. The challenges they face, and overcome, set their story above so many others. They are truly the Romeo and Juliet of our time.

TwiHigh’s characters face a different kind of challenge, but their love seems just as impossible. How can a mute boy and a blind girl communicate? Their love will accept no setbacks and it knows no boundaries. Despite their handicaps, they find a way. And the journey they take to know and love one another is sweet, tender, and edifying.

I was so inspired by our discussion that this scene popped into my head and I just had to write it. TwiHigh knocked my socks off when she replied a few days later with this original composition. Together? Grab a box of Kleenex.

Meeting TwiHigh and working with her on this and other ideas is truly one of the joys that I never expected when I started writing fan fiction. I have met so many incredible people on TTS, gncore.net, and freedomfanficwriters.ning and I am involved in so many projects that I sometimes have to step back and pinch myself to make sure it’s all real. And yeah, it is. Wow.

Bella's POV:
(Play attached MP3)

Climbing the steps to Edward's house should have been frightening. I had no reference for where to put my feet. No memory of the sounds of the wind in the trees behind me or the feel of the rough stone walkway beneath my feet. I was walking through the blackness with nothing to guide me except the two hands that clasped my left hand and elbow to draw me forward.

I should have been afraid, but I wasn't. His grip was steady and confident as he lifted my hand to indicate the first step, and he squeezed my palm three times so I could count the steps off to myself. His hand left mine and I heard the jingle of his keychain and the scrape of metal on metal as he unlocked the door. When the door opened, the first thing I felt was a warm wave of sweet scented air. A hint of apples and cinnamon made my mouth water. This was not the fake scent of candles and heated oils. . . The buttery richness of home-made pie crust is impossible to simulate. Esme was making apple pie for dessert. I looked up to where I felt his face would be and waited with a tentative smile.

He reclaimed my hand, pressed a kiss to my knuckles and led me over the threshold.

“Edward, Bella! I’m sorry I can’t step away from the stove right now, but we’ll be eating in about 30 minutes. Carlisle got called back to the hospital. He is going to be a little late, so it’s just us for now, okay?” Esme’s voice was so warm and affectionate. Everything about her was comforting. I could see why Edward adored his mother so much.

“Thank you, Esme,” I replied facing her direction. “That smells wonderful, I can’t wait!” My stomach was anticipating dessert already. I felt Edward’s hands leave me and I knew he was signing something to his mother.

“Edward says he wants to play something for you while you wait.”

I could feel Edward’s eyes on me, waiting expectantly. He seemed tense and excited about something. Blushing, I nodded assent. His hand reclaimed mine and he led me to the right. The hardwood floors were warm and solid under my feet.

Edward helped me sit on the narrow piano bench. He sat down next to me and the bench creaked. My stomach muscles tightened in response; I did not feel entirely secure on the tiny bench. But my feelings of insecurity vanished when Edward struck the first chord.

The music that sprang forth from the grand piano was more sensual, more alive, than anything I had ever heard. The soaring melody and plunging arpeggios evoked feelings and emotions that I could not even identify. They encompassed all the joy of a warm embrace, the comfort of a favorite chair, the hope of new love and the vibrant energy of a spring morning. My eyes brimmed with moisture, but I made no attempt to wipe away the tears that slowly trickled down my cheeks. As the melody drew down to a wistful end, I raised my face to Edward's. His warm hands framed my face and he gently wiped away my tears with his thumbs.

It was then that I realized how much of life I was missing without my sight. I did not know the color of his eyes. I knew the texture of his hair, running through my fingers, but I could not see the sunlight glinting from it, or appreciate the way it fell across his forehead when he looked down thoughtfully. I would never know the curve of his lips, or the expressions that crossed his face as he looked at me.

Never before had I felt my loss so deeply. My throat closed off and I could barely breathe. Seeing my obvious distress, Edward pulled me from the piano bench and led me to stand before an open window. The warmth of the setting sun was full on my face and a fresh evening breeze carried with it the rich earthy smell of the forest. He squeezed my shoulder and then I heard his steps as he walked quickly back toward the kitchen.

Esme's voice, sweet and mellow, spoke then. "You want me to read this to her? Okay, Edward."

Two sets of footsteps returned and I felt Edward behind my right shoulder. He took my hand in his and leaned his cheek against mine. The faint scratchiness of his whiskers bore a sharp contrast to the silkiness of his lips as they caressed my cheek.

"Bella, Edward wants me to tell you. . . I want to show you the sunset."

Esme's voice wavered slightly. She was confused by Edward's statement.

Edward put firm pressure on both of my shoulders, telling me to stand in this spot. The familiar creak of the piano stool was the only warning I received. A new melody floated through the room. It spoke of warmth, and beauty, but there was a slightly melancholy turn to the harmony. A wistfulness that sang of endings. Not regret, but a drawing down and a closeness that was intimate and haunting and slow.

He played on for several minutes. As the notes grew softer and more drawn out, I felt the air around me cooling. The sun was dipping below the trees, coloring the skies with shades and hues of colors that I would never see or be able to speak of. But Edward was illustrating them for me. Sharing how the setting sun made him feel.

For the second time I felt myself crying, but there was no strain in my throat or tightness in my chest. Edward was showing me the sunset. And it was breathtaking.

Views: 667

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Angel, thank you! Thank you for your nomination, your words of encouragement, for telling others about the story, and for being so supportive.

And everyone, definitely check out Angel's story: Dangerous Obsession. It is addictive and fascinating!

http://www.thetwilightsaga.com/group/fanfiction/forum/topics/danger...
"When the Cold One falls for The Flame, all will be redeemed and nothing will be the same. . ."
And thanks for telling me about the Awards Group. I just joined and placed my first vote! It's nice to be able to say thank you to the authors who have put so much work into feeding my Twilight Addiction. LOL
sorry if this is a very FAQ but when will you be posting more? =D
Morgan,
No plans to post more, at this time. This was truly a one-shot, just based on a side-bar discussion. TwiHigh and I may develop the story further in the future, but we are both buried in other projects at this time. Thank you very much for reading, and wanting to read more!
Hayle,
That is by far one of the most generous, thoughful, and heartfelt reviews I have ever received. Thank you so very much! I can honestly say that I never imagined writing would bring me so many friends or so many unusual and wonderful experiences. As I said in my lead-in to this piece, I never expected any of this, but I am so deeply grateful to be here and share all of these stories (Those I wrote, and those I am enjoying as a reader) with so many beautiful people.

Thank you!
Hayle,
Again, thank you. My Fan Fiction writing is, in many ways, a tribute to Stephenie Meyer because The Saga has meant so much to me. I copied her writing style as closely as possible for that exact reason. So, I am happy that people see and appreciate the effort.

I am glad that my feedback on your story was helpful. I have received a lot of requests to read and review other writer's work. I enjoy it, but I do not always have the time to get to everyone. So, perhaps when I post The Honeymoon next weekend I'll be able to do more reading and commenting again. I have a LONG list of stories to catch up on!

Could you post the link to your complete story here? I would love to go back and read it all again now that it is complete.

I understand about keeping your writing semi-private. My husband did not know for almost a month. I was so nervous to tell him about my new passion because I thought he would say I was being ridiculous, but I could not have been further off the mark. He was so happy and excited for me. He had noticed a positive change in my energy and attitude and was very proud of me for trying something new. He encourages me every day. So, you may be surprised by your friends and family. They just might be more supportive than you think!

I hope you continue to write and grow in confidence!

Maggie
Dear NTF, I just wanted to say that when I'm feeling blue, I reread your story and I feel better. I Printed the last two pages with the Shakespeare quotes and put them in my briefcase. I read them once in a while in my office or at home.
And then today I just stopped by to check for any updates, and found this amazing short story, needless to say I loved it, and the music along with it made it even more special. I suppose that sometimes your fans say really nice and heartfelt compliments to you, and I don't doubt their sincerity, but today I want to tell you that you really do make a difference in my life with your gift of writing, I only wish that my vocabulary would be richer so that i could express my gratitude to you. (English is my second language) You probably do not remember my first email to you, but to make it short, reading Twilight helped me thru some very difficult times, My life is slowly getting better and with my faith in God, I know I will smile freely to my children,and I won't have to worry if we are going to have enough money to eat or pay our bills. Once again thank you for making so many of us happy and hopeful, in our little heaven with Edward and Bella. May God bless you and your loved ones! Liliana
Liliana,
I hope you received my private message. Yes I remember our early conversations well. I am just happy and feeling very blessed to have affected your life in a positive way. Hold on to your strength, faith, and tireless spirit. You are wonderful. Thank you!
omg....this is amazing! I love it:)
Thanks, Lamb! (I can't call you stupid. I just can't!)
omg...this was the best fan fic i have ever read....i want to cry...its sooo good plz write more
Thanks so much, twilight1395.

We will definitely let everyone here know if we decide to and get around to writing more of this story.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service