The Twilight Saga

I  N  T  R  O  D  U  C  T  I  O  N

.          .          .

Welcome to the banner effects class!

I'm Nikki and I will be your banner effects mentor this term.

I know I may not be the best mentor on the site, but I do my best =)

My overall goal is to show everyone the simple, yet fun ways to make your banners POP within your blending techniques and texture.

Now somethings I know you know. And other things you may THINK you know (xD, JK)

But maybe I do something differently whether that is technique or pressing a different button.

Again, I know I'm probably not who you were expecting for teaching such an AWESOME class, but hopefully I'll grow on you =)

-Nikki

.           .          .

S  T  U  D  E  N  T  S

Well, I have a list of you below, and I will check your name off on the list regularly.

What I mean is, every time you complete an assignment or just respond to a tutorial, I put a check reminding me who has been "handing in" assignments. Every week will be a different colored check so that way you will be able to think: "Oh, I'm missing the red check. Let me do that assignment!"

Unlike school, there is no punishment for not turning in homework, I just recommend you do it so that it may help you in the future =)

Pupil List

.          .          .

T U T O R I A L S

This is just where the links to tutorials are because it is just more convenient to post them here rather than you going through the whole discussion to find your assignments.

(Click banners to go to lessons. You may have to scroll up or down depending on when I posted the link)

.          .          .

A  S  S  I  G  N  M  E  N  T  S

Okay, so I'll be posting all of your assignments here at the bottom of the discussion so it is the last thing you will look at and it sticks in your head.

I hope to have 1 to 3 assignments per week, depending on how long it takes to teach each tutorial.

I generally like posting assignments in Word Documents (it just looks neater to me)

BUT IF YOU CANNOT OPEN WORD DOCUMENTS, LET ME KNOW!

This way, I can post them in a different format.

Now, your assignment(s):

Assignment: Complete the form I have posted as a comment to the discussion. Basically tell me what you know, and what you want to learn. =)

Assignment: Say what you think banner effects means. Include if you can find/download brushes.

Assignment: Complete the tutorial. Find an image that you can use your gradient on. Feel free to use layer modes if you know how to use them. If you cannot do the image thing for any reason, just post a screenshot of your gradient and I'll give you a check. I also ask, do you know how to use layer modes? Answer that question along with your image.

Assignment: Complete the artificial gradient tutorial and share your results. Preferably: Post a before/after product =)

Assignment: Do your best to complete this tutorial and share your results. IF and only IF you are a person who CANNOT download brushes, you are excused from this lesson. Just leave a little comment reminding me so that I can give you an orange check =).

Assignment: Okay, so I know Claire taught you Layer Modes with text, and I showed you gradients, and most of you knew what Layer Modes were already.

So, in this assignment, I want you to combine the two.

The twist? Your text can only be ONE SINGLE WORD.

This is a banner effects class, not text, right? Oh, and you must use at least one gradient. Excited?

Assignment: I want you all back in the habit of making textures. So, this will be an ongoing assignment. Once a week, I want you to make a texture and share it. At the end of the term, you'll get your yellow check even if you only did it once =) But, I'll give you guys something really cool if you do one a week til the term's end!!

Assignment: Create a "crack brush" effect with only ONE image.

I'll show you the two image one tomorrow.

Don't forget to make another texture going towards your yellow check assignment!!

Views: 2169

Replies to This Discussion

Your Name: Ashlii |or Ash|

Your Username: Ashlii Reckless Hepburn

Can You Open Word Documents?: Yuppp

What do you prefer I post tutorials as?: (comments, discussions, documents) anything is fine except seperate discussions.

What do you wish to learn more about?: (if you'd like a list of things I'd like to teach, let me know, I have one handy.) uhh...no clue >./p>

Your Favorite Bands/Singers?: Sleeping WIth Sirens ; Motionless in White ; Asking Alexandria

Your Favorite Actors/Actresses: none

Your Celebrity Crush?: Kellin Quinn, Andy Biersack, Ben Bruce

Favorite Color?: BLack, BLue, Red, and Purple. I can't pick xP

^Kellin Quinn^

So perfect<3

Your Name:Elena

Your Username:A Thousand Years

Can You Open Word Documents?:Yes

What do you prefer I post tutorials as?: (comments, discussions, documents)Comments or Documents. I dont like the whole seperate discussion thing XD

What do you wish to learn more about?: (if you'd like a list of things I'd like to teach, let me know, I have one handy.)Blending Tips and how to make banners pop

Your Favorite Bands/Singers?:Florence+The Machine, Demi Lovato, Taylor Swift, Paramore, Bruno Mars

Your Favorite Actors/Actresses:Ian Somerhalder, Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, Ariana Grande

Your Celebrity Crush?:Ian Somerhalder, Paul Wesley, Taylor Lautner

Favorite Color?:Blue

HI NIKKI!!!!!!!!

Long time no see... xD JK

Welcome!

Now, I have one last "questionnaire" question I forgot to ask.

You guys know how to find/download brushes right? I just ask because I'll be recommending brushes and stuff all the time.

Now for your first OFFICIAL assignment. I want to know what you think banner effects means.

I know, it sounds BORING, but I want to see what you think you signed up for so I can organize lessons properly.

Now, I'll ask this question again at the end of the term to see how your opinion/answer changes.

Have fun and be honest, don't base your response on what other people say, have your own opinion =P.

-Nikki

Yes I now how to download and find brushes. :) I think banner effects are what makes the graphic interesting and a total attention grabber. Banner effects add to the graphic if it was somewhat boring at first to make it look magical or yet colorful. Banner effects help the graphic look even more appealing than it already is, just adding a little spark.

Good answer =)

Thx :)

I do know how to find and download brushes. I think banner effects means a couple different things. I think its kinda a way to make a banner thats boring and make it pop.It also makes the graphic your making more interesting and fun to look at. It makes it colorful and great to the human eye ;)

I know how to download brushes and find them. Sadly though, my laptop won't load the brushes once I download them onto GIMP. It does the same for fonts. Banner effects? Well, I guess I think that's what you do to a graphic to make to stand out. Adding your own little touch to it. Maybe adding one of your favorite gradients, or anything like that. Just making the banner speak for you I guess would be a betetr way to put it. Also, instead of some boring banner that no one will look at it'll give it a flare. Maybe dramatic, mysterious, whatever jsut something you  like and can add to it to make it your own, and make it stand out from all the other graphics someone sees.

Yes, I know how to find and downlod brushes/fonts. To me, banner effects are the things that make a graphic stand out. Masks, gradients, brushes, etc. Things that will make the banner pop and catch your eyes. Things like gradients and brushes will make your banner have a certain feel to it, depending on what you use. You can make your graphic look dark and mysterious or light and happy, all depending on the different effects you use. You don't want your graphic to look boring, but at the same time you don't want too much going on.

yes, i do know how to find and download brushes:) I think banner effects make the graphic less plain. effects make it stick in people's heads and make them think 'oh, that was really cool.' They make the graphic really just POP. mainly, i signed up for this class because i only know a few effects, so many of my banners are very similar. i thought this might help:) sorry my answer isn't awesome or anything lol:3

Your Name:Juliee

Your Username:Romance is my Fiction 

Can You Open Word Documents?:Yes

What do you prefer I post tutorials as?: Anything is fine 

What do you wish to learn more about?:I really want to find a new way do my banners :) 

Your Favorite Bands/Singers?:Taylor Swit, Sweet thing, Ingrid Michaelson, katy perry, and maroon 5.

Your Favorite Actors/Actresses::Selena g. Taylor Swift, Nina D. and Every member of the cast of BONES!

Your Celebrity Crush?:Steven R. McQueen

Favorite Color?: purple

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service