The Twilight Saga

COPYRIGHT ALERT: The Twilight characters are not mine, they are Stephenie Meyer's.  The other characters, however, ARE mine, and so is the story idea.  Please do not steal it. Thanks. :)

Summary:

What else could possibly go wrong??  Anira’s life has been a complete disaster this past week, and obviously it’s not going to give her a break any time soon.  The local power plant almost had a meltdown, a bunch of stupid teenagers burnt down half of the forest she lives in, the government found out that she was living in an abandoned shed and threatened to move her into an orphanage, and worst of all, HER BOYFRIEND DUMPED HER.  When she wakes up on the first school day after winter break with that same sinking feeling in her stomach, she knows something else will go wrong, but never in her wildest dreams did she imagine it would lead her on a path like this.  A story of self-discovery, this anything-but-average teenager is forced to confront a past she never knew existed, survive an encounter with deadly yet somehow civilized vampires, and juggle a secret that no one can ever know, right in the middle of the worst week of her life.

Palo, Iowa wasn’t supposed to be this unpredictable.

Chapter 1: Get me out of this mess

I opened my eyes groggily and groaned.  My stomach was twisting and turning again, like it had almost every other day this past week.  And almost every other day this past week, something had gone wrong.  The first day had been the absolute worst though, in my opinion.

Hey, Anira, I need to talk to you, Nick, my boyfriend, had said.  It was the last day of school before winter break, and we had just climbed off the bus to go home.  I had looked at him and smiled, trying to ignore that gut-wrenching feeling I always got when something bad was going to happen.  I… Uh, I think we should just be friends.  We just aren’t very good together, you know?  I hope you understand.  It’s nothing personal.  We can still be friends though, right?  I had agreed with a little too much enthusiasm.

The next day, after I had cried myself to sleep, I’d barely noticed that same feeling when I woke up- I thought it was a side effect from all the sobs- until late in the night when I caught a whiff of smoke and realized that my forest was burning.  Apparently a group of teenagers had thought this was a good place for a bonfire to celebrate the week-long vacation.  Why they had wanted to be outside in December was beyond me, but there they were, burning down the only thing that hid my house from view.

Then, of course, after the trees had been drastically thinned, the inevitable happened: I got a notice on my door saying that my house was on government property and I needed to go to court to get a real home under penalty of the law.  Of course, as soon as I showed up and they realized I was only fifteen, they threatened to send me to an orphanage or foster home until I was legally old enough to live alone.  I had two weeks to pick a foster home of my choice before they forced me into some rotten place with the other homeless kids.

If that wasn’t enough to take in with all I had already been going through, the local power plant was in danger of having a meltdown, and I had to work there for days trying to calm everyone down and take control of the situation.  By the time all the chaos was over, I had only three days left of my break to relax.

And of course relaxation was an impossibility with my home being threatened and my heart completely shattered in my chest.

Now it was the first day of the new semester, and I could tell that something else was going to go wrong.  But what else could possibly go wrong?!  After everything I’d been through in the past week, what else could go wrong?!

I sat up grudgingly and stretched my aching muscles.  I wasn’t used to sleeping so often.  Usually I only had to sleep two or three times a week, but I was so upset during the break that I had actually slept every night. It wasn’t natural.

After going to my closet and grabbing a dull green blouse and khakis, I went into the kitchen to get some breakfast.  It wasn’t a very big room, with only the bare necessities to keep it running: a refrigerator, a sink, a stove, and a little wooden table with one chair on either side.  The refrigerator was actually pretty unnecessary at this time of year.  Since my house had no heater or air conditioner, the food just adapted to whatever temperature it was outside, and since it had just snowed… Well, my food would be plenty cool without manmade appliances.

I knew perfectly well that not having a heater was strange and unthinkable to any of the humans around me.  It was part of the reason why I had never invited anyone to my house.  But to be perfectly honest, I liked my house without all those silly indulgences.  I could really taste the fresh air when the musty air of a machine wasn’t in the way, and besides, the thing would be unnecessary anyway.  I couldn’t feel temperatures.  Well, I could feel when the weather changed, and I could tell when it was hot or cold, but I was never actually affected by temperature.  My skin was just the same 85˚ all the time.

I grabbed an apple from the fridge and went into the bathroom as I ate, my feet dragging a little as I walked.  The bathroom was a little smaller than the kitchen, with a bath tub, a toilet, a sink, and a mirror. I lived in an extremely small house. 

I looked at my reflection in the mirror without interest.  Just a little over a week ago my eyes had been bright and shining with life.  Now they were just a dull forest green, similar to my shirt color, with no emotions and no light.  There were shadows under my eyelids that hadn’t been there before.  I may have been sleeping more than usual, but that certainly didn’t mean I’d been sleeping well.

My hair was an unkempt mess, knotted and tangled from the many days of neglect.  I grabbed my brush from the sink now, not wanting to look like a zombie when I got on the bus to meet Nick.  I couldn’t let him know how much his decision had affected me.  I had to suck it up and act like nothing had changed, as if it didn’t matter in the slightest that he had broken my heart.  It wasn’t really his fault, I guess.  He wasn’t trying to be mean or anything.  He just didn’t think we were right for each other.

I sighed when I was finally done and watched the gossamer strands flow all the way down my legs, halting just below my knees.  The name Rapunzel fluttered through my mind as I glanced back in the mirror.  I was a strange sight to see, with flawless pale skin and pale hair that ran all the way down to my calves.  Maybe that was why Nick had dumped me…

I shook the thought out of my head and checked my watch.  7:30. I still had 30 minutes before I had to be at the bus stop, and I was already set to leave.  What was I supposed to do for 30 whole minutes?

My eyes brightened just slightly as an idea came into my head.  I ran back into the kitchen to look out the windows at the surrounding forest- at least what was left of it.  Was it safe?  Would anybody really be out and about this early in the morning?  Ordinarily I wouldn’t be too worried about getting caught, but after those stupid teenagers had burned down the woods, I couldn’t be too careful.  The coast seemed clear, and that uncomfortable feeling in my stomach had subsided, for now, so maybe I could get some exercise in before I left.

Before I could change my mind, I reached behind me to reveal the crease in my shirt where I had installed the zipper.  Very carefully, I pulled the zipper down until the hole was completely open and exhaled in relief as my wings slipped through the flap.  I had been too preoccupied over my vacation to stretch out my wings, but now nobody was around, I could sense that it was safe, and I had 30 minutes of free time to kill.  What better way to spend that time than to fly as fast as I could and just tune out the world for a few precious moments?

I fluttered my wings experimentally, smiling as my feet lifted off the ground.  It felt so good to finally use them again!  I shot out the back door after a short warm-up and let the world blur around me.

I thought about my past while I flew, all the memories I had before this week that didn’t make me want to hide in bed all day.  Before I had lived on Earth, I had grown up in a small planet called Avalon.  I lived there for eight years, but then one day our Fairy Council had come to my house and asked my parents if they could send me to Earth.  They sent different fairies to Earth every year to help the humans with their natural disasters and magical infestations, but only the ones with the best talents could go.  I was honored to be a part of their program and left immediately.  I had always admired the fairies that came to this planet, and I had hoped they would pick me, but I had also thought that my talent wasn’t good enough.  While some fairies could bend the elements or turn invisible, my only unique quality was my sense of danger.  I knew when something bad would happen.  I didn’t know what it would be, but I always knew, and it had saved my people’s lives many times.  So they sent me here, to this tiny town of Palo, Iowa, where I could live safely undetected and help those in need.

Well, that plan was in the process of being uprooted and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it.  The officials had trusted me to keep our secret, and though nobody knew what I really was, the fact that they had found my house was enough to put us all in grave danger.  Nobody could know we existed, humans and other mythical creatures alike.  We could not be discovered.  It was the law.

I slowed to a more human speed and dropped down to the ground when I heard a rustle in the bushes.  A deer jumped out of nowhere and scampered across the path to disappear into the trees once again.  That same uneasy feeling came back as I watched the creature, and I backed away on foot.  Whatever that creature was running from had to be the danger I was to face today.  I wasn’t going to let it find me here, completely vulnerable and with no witnesses.

I opened my wings and fled back to the house.

Tags: cullens, faeries, fairies, irina, reincarnation, vampires

Views: 2282

Replies to This Discussion

This could be an interesting encounter!

Okay, to my readers:  I'm trying to finally finish this fanfiction, and I know I've told you that before.  However, I'm having another problem with writer's block...  If Tanya and Kate were to suddenly meet up with Irina for the first time in 16 years, what would they talk about?? I'm having real problems with this... Please help!!

I inboxed you with a few ideas. I hope it helps!

Finally finished another chapter!! :D  At most, I only have two more to go, but it's more than likely that I can fit everything I need into one chapter.  So help me, I will get this done before my first day of college!! For now, here's the next chapter:

Chapter 36: A Visit From the Denali Coven

For a few seconds, I couldn’t respond.  Could it really be her?  Could it really be the long-lost sister from my dreams?  From my past life?

Slowly, painfully slowly, I turned around to face her.  Her hair was the exact same strawberry-blonde color I remembered.  The shape of her face, the gentle curve of her nose, everything was exactly the same.  And she wasn’t just a figment of my imagination this time.  She was real.  And I knew her.

We both squealed like excited little girls for a few seconds.

“Tanya!” I said excitedly.  “It’s really you!”  Her face broke out into a huge grin.

“Ah,” she sighed.  “How I have missed your voice, sister.”  My heart ached at the term ‘sister.’

“Where’s Kate?”  As if on cue, Kate walked through the front door of the house and came to stand behind Tanya, her smile just as blinding as mine.

“When Edward told us that you were alive, I must say we were a bit doubtful,” she said, glancing at the Cullens.  “I’m glad they convinced us to come down here now.”

“Yes, three days of travel was well worth it,” Tanya agreed, her eyes sparkling with excitement.  “Come, we have much to discuss!  What have you been doing in these last 16 years?  What do you remember from your life with us?  Do you know if…”  She trailed off, her expression suddenly hesitant.

“What is it?” I asked, intrigued by the question she wasn’t asking me.  “You can tell me.”  She sighed.

“Do you know… what happened to Laurent?” she asked reluctantly, shrinking away slightly.  I laughed.

“You wouldn’t believe me if I told you,” I said wryly.  “But don’t worry; I no longer hold anything against the shapeshifters.  I no longer have a reason for it.”  Tanya smiled in relief.

“Good, very good,” she said.  “Come, let’s go inside so we can talk.”  She and Kate began to walk towards the door, but she stopped.  “Do you need to sleep tonight?” she asked.  I smiled and shook my head.

“I got all the sleep I needed last night,” I assured her.  “So we have all the time we need to get reacquainted.”

“Until school tomorrow morning,” Kate teased.  “Then you have to go learn.”  They both made a face at the word “learn,” making us all laugh.  I remembered that none of us liked going to school, which was why we stuck to living in the wilderness of Alaska.  However, we still frequented the colleges.  The boys we found there were much more interesting than schoolwork…

The three of us went inside, leaving the Cullens by their cars, and up into my new room, the previous “guest room” for all intents and purposes.  The walls were painted a light green color, the bedspread a plain lacey-white.  The bed frame was adorned in fake leaves that spiraled all the way up the bedposts and condensed high overhead, creating a canopy of green.  The dresser matched the mahogany wood of the bedframe, whose dark color contrasted nicely with the otherwise light, airy room.  It was the perfect stereotypical room for a fairy like me.

“So what is it you’ve been doing these last 16 years?” Tanya repeated, sitting down on the bed next to me eagerly.

“Well, I don’t know, a lot of things…” I replied nervously, the images of every vampire I’d ever killed immediately enveloping my mind.  I forced an easy smile.  “School, mostly.”  They both made a face.

“Honestly, Irina, I don’t
know how you manage to go through that torture every day,” Kate said.  I blinked in shock at the use of my old name.

“Well, it’s good for me to know as much as possible about human culture,” I said.  “The current method of education that they have is the best way for me to learn.”  They both deliberated.

“I suppose so,” Tanya said reluctantly.  “On to our next question: Edward mentioned that you have had dreams of our lives together.  What is it that you remember?”  I smiled sadly, thinking through the three dreams I’d had, the most recent one being most prominent.

“I remember our mother,” I said,” and what the Volturi did to her.  I remember how Laurent left me to do a favor for a friend, and then never came back…”  I had to take a deep breath to keep the pain and hate from rising up again.  Vincent was here now.  I never had to go through that again.  “I remember what I did to get my revenge, the stupid choice I made in my futile attempts to kill Jacob.  How it affected all of you.”  I closed my eyes and bit my lip, fighting the tears.  Suddenly, I felt a cold, yet gentle hand on my shoulder.

“But we’re okay,” Tanya replied softly.  “See?  We are all fine and well.  We are okay, Carmen and Eleazer are okay, the Cullens are okay.  Everyone is just as alive as ever.”  She gave me a smile, and I had to giggle at her joke.  (Vampires being alive.  Yeah right).  Kate ran her hand through my hair comfortingly.  When she could tell I was starting to feel better, she turned up the electricity a notch and made my hair frizz.  I swatted her arm away.

“Stop it!” I laughed, trying to fix the fluffy mess she had just created.  They both laughed with me.  “Where are Carmen and Eleazer, anyway?”  The mention of those two names sparked a whole new cycle of memories.  They had just appeared on the streets of Alaska one day, and we invited them into our house to talk.  We’d become inseparable ever since.

“They’re still downstairs, talking to the Cullens,” Kate said.  “They wanted to give us a little “sister time” before they came in to talk with you.”  I rolled my eyes.

“They’re part of the family, too, aren’t they?  Just because we aren’t biologically related doesn’t mean they’re any less important to me!” 

“I told you, Carmen!” Kate said, her voice only slightly louder than when she was talking to me.  From outside I heard the faint, yet unmistakable laugh of our other female housemate.  I was certain Eleazer was down there with her.

“Feel free to come up here any time!” I called down to them, walking over to the window.  I saw both of them wave up at me from where they were standing in the dirt driveway.

“Just a moment, mi querida,” Carmen responded.  “We are making living arrangements for the next few days so that we will get to spend more time with you.”  I turned around and looked at my sisters excitedly.

“Really?” I asked.  “How long will you be here?”  Tanya smiled.

“Well, we’re not quite sure, but a few days, at least.”  I ran over and hugged them in delight.  The idea of touching a vampire was suddenly not quite as disgusting as I had originally thought.

“This is so awesome!  I can’t wait for you to meet Vincent!”  They looked at each other in surprise.  Kate raised an eyebrow.

“Who’s Vincent?” she asked.

I spent the rest of the night explaining everything I could about my life.  I told them about Vincent, about how the government was forcing me out of my house, how big a jerk my ex-boyfriend was becoming, anything I could possibly explain without bringing up my ethnicity.  Even though I completely trusted these vampires, even though I knew that they could never be a threat to humanity, I still couldn’t tell them about me.  Not everything.  I just couldn’t betray my race like that.  Luckily, the topic didn’t come up very often.  The Cullens had probably warned them ahead of time that it was a touchy subject.

The next morning came too soon.  I wasn’t ready to leave for school when the Cullens were.  My things were packed, and my homework was done (well, some of it was).  I simply didn’t want to leave my sisters and housemates behind.  I had spent 16 years as an only child who’s sole purpose in life was to protect humanity.  Now I’d found a family who I not only knew on a deep, emotional level, but I completely trusted them, vampires or not.  I’d never experienced that before, and I wasn’t ready to leave it behind, even for a few hours.

“We will be right here when you return,” Tanya promised me.  I hugged her and the others and reluctantly joined the Cullens in one of the cars.  They revved up the engine, and we were off.

School went by too slowly.  I enjoyed Vincent’s company, and the Cullens did their best to keep me focused on my schoolwork, but I still couldn’t seem to keep my thoughts from wandering every few minutes.  I had a family waiting for me at home.  How was I going to apologize for everything I had put them through in my last life?  What could I do to make it up to them?  Lunch, in particular, was extremely difficult.

“I can’t wait for you to meet my sisters, Vincent,” I said excitedly as we sat down at the lunch table.  He looked at me quizzically.

“I thought you were an only child?”

“Well, yes, but remember last Saturday when we were talking with the Cullens about a girl named Irina?  I mentioned that she had a few sisters?”  He shrugged.

“To be honest, I didn’t have a clue what you were talking about.”  He smiled sheepishly.  I chuckled.

“Well, I was Irina.  She was my past life – I also mentioned that, in case you missed it the first time – and when she died, her soul wandered into my body and made me who I am today.  And since she had two sisters, I guess that makes them my sisters, too.”  He stared at me blankly before raising his hands up in surrender.

“I give up,” he said, shaking his head.  “This is just too confusing for me.”  I laughed and put a hand on his shoulder.

“Nevermind, don’t worry about it,” I giggled.  “Bottom line, I have two sisters and two very good friends that I’d like you to meet.  Maybe I could pick you up after dinner and introduce you?”  He deliberated, and then smiled.  I heard Edward snicker from a few chairs down.

“Fine,” he agreed, “but only if we take a car.  No more flights on Faerie airlines.”  I rolled my eyes.

“Chicken,” I muttered, pushing against his arm playfully.  “I guess I can do that, though, if one of the Cullens is willing to drive.”

“Of course,” Alice said immediately, her eyes sparkling in delight.  “I love romantic drives in fancy cars.”  Vincent laughed and pulled me in close to him.  I felt my cheeks warm up and I looked down at my hands shyly.

“Sounds good,” he said.

“Great!” Alice replied.  “We’ll pick you up at 7:00.”

Their first meeting with her in her new form went well!  I wonder what will happen when Vincent meet all of them, and what will happen to Anira/ Irina in  the end?  How will she reconcile/ integrate her old life with her new life?  Looking forward to the next chapter!

S

Chapter 37: My “Obsession”

The final bell couldn’t come soon enough.  I’d waited impatiently all day for school to end, and now that there were only ten minutes left in our final class of the day, it seemed as if time had slowed down just to spite me.  I would concentrate as hard as I possibly could on the canvas in front of me, doing my best to paint the statue in the middle of the room, but when I would look up at the clock, it seemed like no time had passed at all.  The pattern of concentrating and glancing at the time repeated multiple times before it was actually time to leave.  And of course, even the bell couldn’t completely relieve the mental torture I was in.

“Can’t you make these cars move any faster?” I whined to Jasper, who was sitting in the driver’s seat.  He just chuckled.  “Come on!  You’re master of the moods, right?  Can’t you make them want to speed up or something?”

“I’m afraid it doesn’t work that way,” he said wryly, his southern accent catching me off-guard.  I didn’t hear him talk very often.  “I can’t control their emotions from five vehicles away.  And if I only influenced the driver in front of me, he would simply rear-end the person in front of him.”  I pouted for a few moments.

“I could walk faster than this,” I muttered.  He chuckled again.

“Calm yourself,” he soothed.  “We’re all immortal here.  You have all the time in the world to get reacquainted with the Denalis.”  I felt a wave of tranquility wash over me.  My muscles inadvertently relaxed, and I sighed heavily.  Curse him and his ability to control my emotions.  Well, he was right, anyway.  We were all immortal here.  It wasn’t like I had to worry about wasting time or anything.

Then something hit me: we weren’t all immortal here.  All the vampires were, and I was, and probably even Jacob was, but there was one very important person missing from our little anti-aging club.  Vincent.

My dear Vincent.  Some day he was going to pass away and move on from this life.  I would lose my soul mate once again, and it would probably be decades before I could find him in his new form.  If he was even in a humanoid form.  He could turn into a butterfly, for all I knew.  Or he could be born on my home planet in Avalon, where I had little hope of returning.  There was honestly very little chance that I would ever find him again.

Why hadn’t it occurred to me sooner that by fighting to keep him human, I was also fighting to keep him mortal?  

‘He could become a vampire,’ the little voice inside my head whispered.  I immediately pushed away the thought.  I could never do that to him.  It went way beyond what I had been taught as a Faerie.  It was one thing to talk to vampires, and to trust them, even to live with them (those were all milder levels of bad).  But to willingly let a human change into one?  That was just too far.  I had been fighting too hard for too long to keep him from that exact fate, and I wasn’t about to give in now.

…So why was it that the idea kept getting stuck in my head?

I still hadn’t shaken the concept by the time we got home, and when Tanya and Kate talked to me, it was like I wasn’t really there.  My physical body was, but my mind had gone to a different universe, out where Vincent and I could be together without worrying about age or persecution or pain.  I didn’t snap out of it until I realized that Edward had entered the room, talking to my sisters quietly about what was going on in my head.

“…having the same problem I did 18 years ago,” he murmured, pursing his lips.  Kate looked at me wearily.

“And I’m guessing she’s going to be just as stubborn about it, too?” she asked matter-of-factly.  He grinned.

“Even more so, if possible.”  She groaned.

“What are you guys whispering about?” I said cautiously.  Carmen glanced over at me from where she was reading in the corner.

“Oh, look, she’s finally awake!” she mused, her eyes dancing.

“It’s almost time to get Vincent,” Edward said.  “You still want him to meet your family, right?”  I blinked a few times.

“Oh. Yes, yes, of course.”  I was a little bit flustered by how completely out of it I had been.  How long had they been talking about me?  And what in the world had they been talking about??

The car ride was quiet all the way down to Vincents.  By now everyone must have gotten the memo that I wasn’t all there tonight, so they just let me be.  They knew I’d have to snap out of it, eventually.

“Hi, Anira,” Vincent said cheerfully, climbing into the backseat next to me.  I locked my gaze with his and smiled weakly.

“Hey, Vincent.”

“So I guess we’re going to meet your family?” he asked, glancing around the car.  “Why didn’t any of them come with you?”

“Oh, I wanted it to be a surprise,” I replied, starting to get a little more animated.  “Just wait until you meet them.  They’re the nicest vamp… people you’ll ever find around here.”  He laughed.

“It’s okay, Anira.  You can say the word ‘vampire.’  I might as well get used to it, since I’m probably going to become one soon.”  I froze for a second.  Had Edward ratted me out to him?  Did he know what I’d been thinking about for the past few hours?  Why would he say something like that?

“…What?” was all I managed to respond.  He instantly looked worried.

“You know, because of the Volturi.  Bella said that if they found out, I would have to choose between dead and undead, and it seems like it would be really hard to keep a secret from them, so you know, I just assumed…” his voice trailed off and he touched my face gingerly.  “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to upset you.”

“No, it’s fine,” I gasped, taking a deep breath.  “It’s just, you know, I don’t want to put you through that kind of pain.  Ever.”  He cringed a little at the thought of just how awful we had described it to be.  Then he collected himself.

‘It’s okay, Anira,” he said again.  “I’ve accepted it.  And I know you’ll help me through it in any way you can.”  I smiled sadly and nodded.  “Besides, it’ll be worth it if I get to stay with you forever.”  My heart ached at such a blunt proclamation.  He always knew what to say to get me out of my sour moods.

I flung my arms around his neck and gave him an awkward hug, our seatbelts futilely trying to pull us back against the seats.  “Forever,” I agreed.  “But I still think we should wait a little while.  At least until I’ve stopped aging.  I’d hate to look like an old hag in 5 years while you’re still all in your 16-year-old glory.”  I nudged him in the ribs playfully and he laughed.

“Yeah, that would be a little weird,” he agreed.

We arrived at the house a few minutes later and all got out of the car.  As I expected, Tanya, Kate, Carmen and Eleazer were waiting for us in the living room.

“Hello, Irina,” Carmen greeted me.  I nodded, smiling brightly.  “And this must be Vincent.  Hello, mi guapo.”  Vincent smiled a little and waved.  “I am Carmen, and this is my husband, Eleazer.

“A pleasure to meet you, lad,” Eleazer piped up.

“It’s nice to meet you, too,” Vincent mumbled.

“And this is Tanya and Kate,” I said, pointing to my two sisters.  They both waved, the grins on their faces as cheeky as ever.

“Hey there, Vincent,” Kate said.  “Why don’t you have a seat?”  She patted the couch next to her innocently.  Hesitantly, he accepted, with me right beside him.  Something strange was going on here, and I wasn’t sure I was comfortable leaving him alone just yet.

“So tell us a little about yourself,” Tanya said, putting her head in her hands as she stared at my boyfriend.  It almost looked like she was staring at his neck…

“Well, there’s not much to tell, really,” he said sheepishly.  “My dad works in France, and he sends paychecks to my mom and me every month to help us pay the bills.  I was born in Paris, but I’ve lived here for about half of my life now, and I’ve been friends with Anira every minute of it.”

“Oh, I’m sure you have,” Kate responded, her eyes twinkling.  I raised an eyebrow at her.  What was going on here?  “And I’m sure you’ll be friends with her for the rest of your life.  Or more than friends, as it appears.”  Before I could ask her what in the world she was leading up to, Edward stepped in.

“Um, Anira, could I talk to you for a minute?” he asked uncomfortably, the concern on his face unmistakable.  I looked at him in surprise for a moment, then nodded.  He ushered me into the kitchen nervously.

“We’ve all noticed that you’ve been a little… out of sorts today,” he started, rubbing his neck awkwardly.  I nodded in agreement.

“Well, I’ve had a lot on my mind, as you’ve probably noticed.”  I could tell he was unsure how to continue.  I let him think for a moment.

“Yes, I’ve heard what you’ve been thinking about,” he admitted.  “In my defense, it’s hard not to.  However, we can’t help but feel that we might want to intervene before your obsessing gets too out of hand.”  We?  Who was we?

Before I could question his strange behavior further, I heard a startled yell from the room next door.  It was Vincent.

I rushed out to see what all the commotion was and stared in horror at what I found.  Vincent was writhing on the couch, clutching his arm in obvious agony.  Immediately I understood what Edward was talking about.  We want to intervene before your obsessing gets too out of hand.  How was biting my boyfriend supposed to help anything?? He wasn’t ready for this!  Heck, I wasn’t ready for this!

I ran over to Vincent in panic, removing his hand from his arm so I could see the damage.  A very faint, yet very clear crescent shape was now sporting on his skin.  I glared at my sisters.  Kate raised her hands up defensively.

“Hey, he agreed to it,” she said.  “Edward told us why you’ve been acting so strangely.  We thought that if we got rid of the problem, you would have nothing to worry about.  We gave him the choice, though, of course.”

“You have no idea what you’re pulling him into,” I growled through my teeth.  “He hasn’t gotten a chance to say good-bye to his mother, or his humanity.  And he hasn’t even finished high school!  We don’t know if he’s ready to handle the bloodlust, and we certainly don’t know if he’ll be able to go back to school this semester.  We’ll have to wait a long time before he’s ready to be around that many humans again.”  I felt a hand at my arm and had to consciously keep myself from ripping it away.

“It’s okay,” Vincent choked out, pulling me towards him.  “I want to do this.”  He groaned as another wave of pain hit him.  I whimpered as I watched him suffer.

“Not right now, you don’t,” I said decisively.  “We’ll do what we talked about in the car.  Remember, we wanted to wait five years, just in case I look like an old lady?”  He smiled, then flinched.  “Don’t worry, I can get you back to normal.  We don’t have to do this now.  Please let me change you back,” I pleaded.  After a few moments of consideration, he finally nodded, his eyes scrunched tight as he fought the pain.

“Fine, but let’s get this over with, shall we?”  His breathing picked up pace as his body fought the venom.  I hated seeing him in this position.

I needed a knife.  Now.

I rushed into the kitchen and began rummaging through the drawers.  There had to be a knife drawer somewhere.  It was a kitchen, for crying out loud!  Whether they used it or not, there had to be at least a few useful utensils there.

Finally, I found what I was looking for: a steak knife.  Given, it was a bit large, but the sharper it was, the less it would hurt.

I ran back out to the living room, where everyone was now watching Vincent.  I got quite a few strange looks when they saw what I was holding.

“There’s one thing I haven’t told you about Faeries,” I panted, gritting my teeth as I slit my own palm.  I heard everyone take in a breath to keep from smelling my blood.  I rolled my eyes.  “Please, it smells the same outside my body as it does inside.  Now, as I was saying, our blood has healing abilities.  Since our job as a race is to protect humans and eliminate threats against them, naturally we have the antidote to vampire venom running through our veins.  Our tears also have a numbing effect, but they can’t actually heal the wound.”  As I explained the procedure I was going through, I carefully reopened the bite wound that had been inflicted just minutes ago and put my hand down on top of it.  I could feel my blood dripping down into the cut, and as gross as it felt, I couldn’t help but feel relieved.  He was going to stay human for just a little while longer.  He wasn’t going to change tonight.  He wouldn’t have to change for years.

I removed my hand after about 5 seconds and gingerly pulled my face close to his arm.  I thought about the way I had lost him 18 years ago, the way I could lose him again if the Volturi ever found out about him.  It didn’t take long for tears to form in my eyes, and I gladly let them sink into his skin.  Within minutes, he was slumped over on the couch, asleep.

“He’ll wake up when all the venom is gone,” I said, standing up from my crouched position.  “It might take a few hours.”  Everyone stared at me in disbelief.

“Is there anything you can’t do?” Bella asked, her voice awed.  I shrugged, feeling my cheeks heating up.

“Everything I can do is a defense mechanism against your kind.  I’m sure if you were really vulnerable to garlic, we would have that built into our bodies, too.”  Everyone chuckled, not sure how else to react.  “Come on, he’s had a long day.  Let’s take him home.”  With that, I heaved my boyfriend over my shoulder and strut out the door.

Interesting ability she has!  Let's hope she made the right decision!

Chapter 38: Farewell

Naturally Vincent’s mom was confused when we came to her doorstep with her son sound asleep.  We just told her that he must have been staying up pretty late recently, because he practically passed out when he hit the couch.  She seemed to accept this answer and helped us all carry him to his room (of course I couldn’t show up holding him all by myself.  I was just a weak, skinny human girl to his mother).  After we set him down on his bed, everyone began to leave, but I held back.  When everyone was gone, I tiptoed over to sit by his side and kissed his forehead.

“Good night, Vincent,” I said quietly, brushing the hair out of his eyes.  “I’ll call you tomorrow.”  Not that he could hear me, but I figured I’d tell him, anyways.  Then I got up and left with the rest of my family.

ZZZ

The next morning was hectic.  As soon as we had gotten home the previous night, I had locked myself in my room, still fuming about how my family had almost turned Vincent before he was ready.  I’d fallen asleep around 1:00 in the morning, and since I had locked my door, nobody could really come wake me up.  Well, I suppose they could have broken their way in, but I got the feeling that nobody had any desire to do that.  So they let me sleep, and I woke up around 10:00 am, an hour and a half after school started.  When I realized this, I began to panic, but then I realized I wasn’t going to school that day; I was going to court with Carlisle and Esme.  This almost made me panic even more.  Today was the day that I would legally belong to the Cullens.  I wasn’t sure how to feel about that.  I was excited, yet somehow I also dreaded it.  I could just imagine what the Faerie Council would say to me.  If they found out.

“Anira, it’s almost time to leave,” Esme said from the other side of the door, shocking me out of my thoughts.  “Are you awake?”

“Um, yeah, I just woke up,” I replied, scrambling out of bed and over to my closet.  “Just let me get some clothes on, and I’ll be ready to go!”  I flipped through my clothes hastily, looking for anything weather-appropriate.  I finally found a dark green wool dress with a turtleneck and long sleeves and slipped it on.  After rummaging through my dresser for some black tights, and then through my shoe box for my tan ballet flats, I was ready to go.  I unlocked my door and flitted down the stairs, where Carlisle and Esme were waiting.  To my surprise, Tanya and Kate were there, too.  I scowled at them.

“Oh, don’t be like that, Irina!” Tanya fussed, walking up to me.  “Everything we did was for your best interests.”  I glared at her.

“You could have at least told me what you were going to do,” I muttered.  “Vincent isn’t ready yet.  In due time, he will be.  But right now, I just want him to enjoy being a human.”  She pursed her lips.

“Well, I guess you have a point,” she admitted.  “And you’re not being nearly as difficult as Edward was with Bella.  At least you’ve admitted that he will, in fact, become a vampire someday.”  I heard Jacob make a rather unflattering noise from the kitchen.  He hated talking about turning humans into vampires.

“So you won’t be pulling any tricks like that again?” I asked skeptically.  She and Kate grinned.

“Cross our hearts,” Kate said.

“And hope to die,” Tanya added wryly.  I laughed.

“Thank you,” I said, hugging them both.

“It’s time to leave, Anira,” Carlisle said, touching my shoulder lightly.  I nodded.

“I guess I’ll see you later,” I said to my sisters.  They smiled and waved good-bye as I left with my soon-to-be parents.  Within minutes, we were speeding off in the car.

ZZZ

The court case went pretty smoothly.  After the vampires ensured the judge that they did, in fact, want to adopt me, all we really had to do was sign the papers.  After that, we sucked up to the judge a little bit (just in case we ever needed to be on his good side), and then left.  We got back home about two hours after we’d left.

“It’s official!” Esme sang as she got out of the car, waving the papers around in her hand.  From inside the house, I heard over-exaggerated cheering.  At first I thought I would have heard more sarcasm, but then I remembered that most of the Cullens were still at school.

“That’s right,” I said, flouncing into the living room.  “Now you can’t get rid of me.”  Tanya, Kate, Carmen, and Eleazer all chuckled.

“Actually, I think our biggest issue is you getting rid of us,” Eleazer said, standing up and walking over to me.  I looked at him in shock.  “I’m afraid it’s time for us to go back to Alaska.  I would ask if you want to come, but I understand that you have a job that requires you to stay here in Palo.”  I sighed.  He was right.  As much as I wanted to go home with my family, to see my old home with new eyes, I had an obligation to stay here.  Even if I wasn’t actually doing my job at this point, I still needed to stay in this small town so that I could keep the Cullens safe from my government.  If I suddenly stopped sending in reports, or if I started sending letters from a different address, they would undoubtedly look into it.  And the last thing I wanted was to put the Cullens in danger because I was too selfish to stay.

“Yeah, I should stay here,” I agreed.  “It wouldn’t feel right to abandon my parents on the day of adoption, anyway.”  Everyone chuckled again.

“Well, we won’t be leaving for a few more hours,” Tanya said.  “We will wait until all the others come home, so we can say good-bye to them as well.”
            “Plus, it’s more fun to travel at night,” Kate said.  “You never know when you’ll find a drunk college boy just begging for your… company.”  She giggled.  I rolled my eyes.

“Well, if we only have a few hours left together, we might as well make the most of it,” I said.  They all nodded.

“Then what would you like to do?” Carmen asked.  I grinned slyly.

“Let’s race.”

ZZZ

The races didn’t last very long.  I had a feeling that everyone else was getting tired of losing.

After we raced, we decided to brush me up on my battle skills.  I figured that I might as well prepare myself for a fight with the Volturi, just in case they found out about me and Vincent.  Besides, tackling people was almost as fun as beating them in races. 

This was what the Cullens found us doing when they came home from school.

“Oh, come on, Irina!  You can do better than that,” Kate teased, crouching down and growling playfully.  I rolled my eyes.

“You do realize that I’m going easy on you, right?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.  She laughed.

“You’re bluffing,” she said.  “I don’t believe you.”  Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Emmett, Jasper, and Edward crowd around the back door to watch our little scuffle.  I grinned.

“Am I?”  I crouched down, too, allowing my wings to escape from the fabric of my shirt.  She smiled back at me challengingly.

“Definitely.”  She lunged at me, fangs bared and ready.  My smiled widened as I dodged the blow.  She shot past me, travelling several yards before she skidded to a halt and turned around.  Her eyes narrowed in concentration as she sized me up again.  I smirked at her.

She jumped at me again, this time making contact with my body before I could get out of the way.  I instinctively put my hands on her shoulders and pushed down.  She wiped out into the dirt and I flitted up into the air.  She sat up and wiped her face with her sleeve, spitting dirt out of her mouth.

“That’s cheating!!” she whined.  I rolled my eyes.

“All’s fair in love and war,” I replied smugly.  She pounced once again, this time taking me off-guard.  I was expecting her to make some sort of witty retort before she attacked me again.

Before I could move, her hands were grasped around my ankle.  And without warning, I was writhing on the ground.  I couldn’t even begin to think of what caused it.  All I knew was that I was in pain, and I wanted it gone.

That is, until Kate stood up and brushed herself off.

I gasped as the feeling disappeared, blinking a few times to clear my vision.

“And you call me a cheater?” I grumbled, pushing myself off the ground.  “At least flying and dodging doesn’t electrocute people!!”  She shrugged.

“Sorry,” she said impishly.  “You know how I tend to get competitive.”  I rolled my eyes again.

“It’s a good thing I like you,” I said, “or I might just have to dig up some rubber gloves so I can beat you fair and square.”  She chuckled.

“Oh no! Rubber gloves.  How threatening.”  I stuck out my tongue and trotted back into the house, ignoring the boys’ snickers as I passed by.

“Believe me, Kate, she could beat you if she wanted to,” I heard Edward say as I headed towards my room.  I smiled.

Yes, I could.

ZZZ

The Denalis left a few hours later.  They were sad to leave, but they missed their home.  Besides, not many of the boys around town were the right age for Tanya and Kate to “get to know,” so they wanted to start travelling for that reason, as well.  I watched them walk out into the forest glumly.  Within minutes, they were gone.

“You know they can always visit,” Carlisle said as I walked back inside.  My lips pulled up into a small smile.

“I guess so.”

“And we can always visit them.”  I bit my lip.  That wasn’t really a possibility for me at the moment.  Leaving the city for any period of time could rouse suspicion within the Faerie Council.  No, it was better to stay here.  For now.

I spent the night in my room again.  Now that my family from Alaska was gone, I wasn’t sure what to do with myself.  After a few hours of staring at my ceiling, I just decided to sleep; after all, my sleep from the night before was rather… disturbed by all my fuming, and I would hate to fall asleep in class.  So, I changed into my pajamas and crawled into bed.  I was asleep within minutes.

When I got to school the next morning, I couldn’t help but worry about Vincent.  What would he say when I saw him?  What would I say?  Would he be glad I stopped the transformation, or would he be upset?  If he were upset, would I have the strength to bring him back to my home to be bitten again?  By the time I met up with him by my first class, I was downright terrified.  He looked up at me without any expression, his left hand massaging his scar gently.

“Why’d you do it?” he asked quietly, looking down at his feet.  I sighed.

“Vincent, I just…  You weren’t ready,” I said, touching his cheek.  “I know you had the best intentions, but believe me, it’s best if you wait.  If you had turned last night, you would have been forced to leave town, simply to keep from hurting anyone.  And what if, in five years, I were to look like an old lady?  You would still look like your 16-year-old self, and you would have no way of changing that.  Would you really want that?”  He pursed his lips.

“I guess not,” he admitted.  “I would love you no matter what age you were, though.  Don’t forget that.”  A small smile formed on my face.

“Just wait five years,” I said.  “That’s all I’m asking.  And after I’ve settled into my own skin, we can start worrying about yours.”  He smiled back at me and nodded, taking my hand in his and kissing my knuckles.  I giggled.

“Hey, Anira!” Nick called, breaking us out of our moment.  I scowled a little as he walked up to us.

“Uh, hey Nick,” I said, masking my irritation.  “What’s up?”

“Well, I’ve been thinking,” he said, grabbing my hand away from Vincent, “and I’ve decided to give us a second chance.”  I raised my eyebrows in surprise.

“Um… what?”

“Yeah,” he said.  “I shouldn’t have broken up with you.  So what do you say?  How would you like to be my girl again?”  I hesitated, glancing at Vincent in disbelief.  Was he being serious?

“Sorry, Nick,” I said, pulling away.  “You’re a wonderful guy, and some day you’ll meet a wonderful girl who’s just right for you.  It’s just not me.”  I shrugged apologetically and walked into my classroom, with Vincent’s arm wrapped protectively around me as we went.

I was no longer the desperate little ex-girlfriend I had been two weeks ago.

I had been borne again.

Good for her!  I hope there will be a sequel!

There might be.  But wouldn't start posting it until it's done (if I were to start writing it), simply because of how inconsistent I've been with this one.

Let's hope!

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service