And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Everything about Love.
From the deep and insightful ---- What is love? How does it vary between friendship, family, and romantic interests?
To simply take a breather and enjoy and share your favorite quote about love. The quote can be from a song, movie, book.
Note of Caution: Anytime a person is talking about how THEY view love it is very personal. Love and hate are two of the most powerful and personal emotions that a human can experience. So if a person expresses a standard or view of what they believe to be love, please choose your response wisely especially if you happen to have a different view.
Does sex deepen that friendship/connection to a higher level/plane or is it the intial 'friendship' and 'attraction' deeply connecting the mind/body/soul that Bella felt more with Edward over Jacob? Or is Romantic connection different than ideal/soul mate love? Is sex necessary in a soul mate connection? Is sex a humanistic, physical need.... separate, but not essential to experience true "love" on a existential connection of the mind/soul?
-- I think you and I would agree that there is a difference between "sex" and "making love" even thought the mechanics of those two would be the same. So therefore I do not think sex is a requirement for love. However I do think that it is very bonding, even in a culture of random hook ups and "friends with benefits".
Bella and Edward didn't physically consummate their love to the next plane/level until Bella permitted Edward to read her mind/thoughts at the end of Breaking Dawn. She metaphorically had mental "intercourse" with him....exchanging her mind with his...completing each other holistically...the fusion/consecration of the souls. Is that true love?
-- Equally a true statement. They are bonding on a mental level.
Is sexual union/attraction a by-product of friendship/cerebral connection but not essential to to being "in love" with another person?
-- I would say that is a true statement.
I think the element of Edward and Bella maintaining sexual abstinence while dating...reinforces their love to be on another profound plane/level...despite their physical attraction for one another. Bella finds Edward's beauty to be angelic, impossibly ''perfect" and God-like. Edward finds Bella's blood intoxicating like heroin, like no other....yet resists the temptation of killing her to covet her "blood" .
-- I agree with that statement. In their case, the lack of sex makes their love more profound and easier to see. It is not clouded by lust (even though lust is present as well, it is not the foundation).
Why? Does not partaking into their human and innate needs/desires make their love more meaningful, real and profound? Is the first essential ingredient of loving another...not about ''self" but...the needs of another?...The true testament of being "in love" with another is loss of yourself/needs, and promoting the well-being/happiness of another despite no invested interest for oneself?
-- Those are some deep questions right there and need more time to be chewed on. :)
In my opinion, you cannot have true friendship without love.
A true friendship is a relationship based upon love and understanding for one another.
"Is it a real friend if you do not love them" - NO...it is most likely just an acquaintance that you've mis-termed
How are you?
Thanks for reading my personal story...it was actually hard for me to share and articulate. In a positive light....it felt honest and cathartic...but, it was sad revisiting my repressed feelings of pain. I'm a lucky woman though...I have a wonderful, caring husband and three amazing children. The friendship and love for my friend taught me what it feels to love another human with that type of profound intensity/capacity....that I would have never known, if I didn't go through the experience. My relationship with my friend was my first love....and was my soul-mate. Many would often say...".if he was your soul mate...he would still be in your life and you would have been together."
It depends on what someone defines as a soul mate? For me....my friend was my soul mate for various reasons...mainly because....I felt instantly connected to him and felt I knew him for years. Communication was effortless...he understood my mind/thoughts without overt words being vocalized...he just intuitively knew me. I knew he loved me...he didn't have to say it...I felt it...saw it inside his eyes.( I know it sounds cliche'..but, it's true). He loved me deeply...as I loved him.
Why do I declare him my soul mate...when he left me and hurt me? I feel NO MALICE for him...contrary...if I saw him today....I would embrace him like he never left. WHY?...I feel soul mates teach each other lessons about life and to correct deficits within each other. My friend....broaden my world....and taught me to live and feel life...and mostly he taught me how to love on a very deep, spiritual spectrum/realm.
Til this day... I mourn his absence....but, it wasn't meant to be at that given time. He wasn't ready to love/commit to me at such a young age...it over -whelmed him. It over whelmed me as well....it's difficult to process at any age....but, obviously...he wasn't ready....
So, Lorece...I do think love chooses you...you can't chose, manufacture, coerce or contain it...
Love has a life-force of it's own that can't be manipulated or planned....what was meant to be...is meant to be. I was not meant to be with my friend in this life time. My husband was meant to be and we have three beautiful children..that was my destiny....not for myself....for a higher purpose within my husband/children's lives.
I believe I will see my friend again...I feel it in my bone marrow...maybe not in this lifetime or within this human form?
yes...I believe as you do.... Lorece, TRUE FRIENDSHIP is the prerequisite for any type of lasting love, respect, TRUST and compatibility with another person. In my opinion....you have to be true friends with your lover...in order to be really "IN LOVE" with them.....
DESIRE is an element of the flesh....and a physical/biological '"need" which often replaces or fills voids inside the relationship. My opinion is this Lorece,...a person has limitless options to just have mechanical sex with someone...but has the rarity of emotionally connecting with another person with body, mind and soul.
Edward and Bella's relationship was celestial, complete "love"...and Bella's relationship with Jacob was based upon worldly concepts of conditional "love" and expectation...and humanly desire of the flesh. I think Jacob's relationship with Nessie....closely mirrored Bella and Edward's type of love....DESTINY.....hence soul-mates.
Thanks for taking the time to read my words...Lorece!
Thank you for the compassion and empathy as well.....
It has been such a joy and a privilege reading what both you and JJ have to say about love. To me, it is awe inspiring. I've never been in love. I've had the inklings of it and I've certainly developed deep friendships rooted in love but I haven't found that person yet that I've felt was my life partner/true love/soul-mate. Honestly the thought is quite scary when I'm still trying to figure out who I am, lol. I believe that we all have a great capacity to love though and that we were all placed on this earth to learn HOW to love each person that we meet. Sometimes we'll be able to get up close and personal with our loves and sometimes we have to learn to love from afar.
Your story reminds me of the film "The Way We Were" starring Robert Redford and Barbra Streisand. Have you seen it? I hope that I am not speaking out of turn as I know that this is a sensitive issue but this movie makes me sob every time I see it. Two people come together, learn to really love one another but ultimately want different things in life and thus separate knowing that they will always treasure the memories they have shared! It is similarly beautiful and heart-breaking.
I believe in the human capacity to love. I believe that love grows. I believe love is transformative. I believe that love is a form of charity. I believe that love starts with a noun and ends with a verb; originates as a feeling and disseminates through action.
For me, the ultimate form of love is Agape love: unconditional, irrevocable, unchanging, soul stirring, spiritually inspired love. Bella and Edward's relationship represents this form of love to me.
There is also eros and philia, which I would use to describe Bella and Jacob's relationship.
So when I say two people are In LOVE, I'm referring to Agape Love.
Jacob and Bella, while showcasing romantic feelings towards one another at times in my opinion, do not have Agape Love and therefore are not In LOVE with one another. Yes they love each other in other ways but they are not in love. Similarly I would categorize Jacob's love for Renesmee as Agape Love.
As to the topic of sex, I do not believe that sex and love are mutually inclusive. I agree with JJ that while sex may be a bonding factor, it does not constitute the ways in which two people feel about one another. In my opinion, sex should be an expression of love and not the foundation for love.
I think that friendship should be at the center of every important relationship in one's life and I think people discredit how important and essential true friendship is. I think that to some extent we should be FRIENDS with our parents, children, and romantic partners.
I disagree with JJ's comment that Bella and Edward did not have a friendship. I think that their friendship is harder to categorize because so much of their relationship is seemingly over-powered by their physical attraction to one another but it is there. They don't allow their physical desires for one another to substitute as the foundation of their relationship...they actually do get to know each other! This is what I LOVED about Twilight and actually missed a lot in the movie. How many times did Edward and Bella just sit in the car talking about who they were, how they grew up, what they liked to listen to? All of these subtle moments in the first book built a friendship. I would say that Bella wasn't JUST Edward's singer but she was his best friend; the person that he opened up to about his hidden fears and insecurities. So again, I think that Bella and Edward pretty much have it all in the end!
I wanted to post this where you would hopefully see it at some point. I saw your post on Pinkie's thread and wanted to acknowledge it. Somehow Pinkie's thread has magically disappeared but here it is:
I'm so happy that you understood what I was trying to say regarding romantic love vs. true love. I was afraid of sounding completely illogical.
I'm really sorry that your feelings were hurt here: I would say, please try not to take it so personally. It isn't worth it in the end. You have much to offer and I for one love reading your posts!
I just read an excerpt from a Stephenie Meyer interview where she said this:
“When Rob and I first met, we had lunch together [and] talked about the script. We sat there and argued for a solid hour and a half about the Edward character. And he was really sure I was wrong [in parts]. I was telling him, ‘This is how Edward feels…’ He said, ‘No, this is how he feels here.’ We went back and forth [that way]. It was hilarious and fun.”
This reminds me of this forum and this fandom...the differing views and opinions and insights. Rob and Stephenie couldn't even agree about Edward, lol. I think that is so hilarious and strangely comforting. Indeed, at the end of the day we all will see in the story what we want to see and feel how we choose to feel. It was interesting to read Pinkie's clinical approach to the material. But in the end, how do you dissect a feeling? How do you quantify an emotion? How do you know when you're in love? You just know, don't you? Twilight may be studied but for me first and foremost it is meant to be felt! So how did I feel when reading? Well I fell in love in Twilight...I speed read through New Moon because I wanted Edward to come back! I huffed and puffed in Eclipse because I hated Jacob the first time I read the book. But certain Team Jacob members on this site caused me to rethink the character and for that I was forever thankful. Jacob is still not one of my favorite characters but I appreciate his role in the story a lot more now and I feel like I gained a better understanding of his character through people like JJ. I actually was never surprised by the revelation in Eclipse. Before I even knew Stephenie Meyer had a website, I could see that Jacob was being built as the romantic alternative to Edward and while I saw Bella's revelation as mostly the ramblings of a dumb young teenage girl (lol) I could also see her confusion and her sincerity in believing that what she shared with Jacob was love even if that is not how I would classify it.
After seeing how Pinkie processes information now, I think I have a pretty fair understanding of where everyone stands on this topic and so I'll probably disappear from this thread. I'll keep an eye out for any new perspectives from you ladies or anyone else lurking in the shadows who finds his or her own voice."
Thank God for copy and paste, lol! It was good to hear from you again Danette! Stay blessed!
JJ, I do not plan to upset your thread, but as I figured that if I could find all three of you, I could say this all in one....I came here. There was nothing 'magical' to it: I did take down the thread. Besides, Elita, it was not something you were able to understand as I hoped. You focus was me and not the material. You were too blinded by your views of me or just not capable of comprehending what was the topic.
Lorece, I did read this comment and wanted you to know that based on your responses? You really learned nothing about how I process anything. I wish you had but you didn't. I do believe I learn some things though. That was helpful to learning why we all differ so greatly.
What are the attributes of two people who are in love in your opinion?
- I think it is enjoying each other's company. Intimacy where you tell each other your secrets. The feeling of love and joy when you are with that person, walking into a room and smiling just because it is him. A desire to spend as much time together as you can. Comfort with physical displays of affection. Honesty! Even if you don't think they want to hear it.
- Most of what I said above could easily describe a friend, what sets a friend apart from a couple "in love" is sexual intimacy. I say intimacy because I do not think it has to be the act of sex but the desire and intimacy.
-- Lorece, I do agree with you that just because a couple is dating and therefore they would meet all the above standards, that does not mean they are in love. It goes back to love being a choice. I believe that a couple is "in love" because they say they are in love and THEY believe that they are in love.
How do Jacob and Bella personify those attributes?
** From the first time that Bella brings the beat up bikes to Jacob there is a change in Bella. She laughs and not to put on a show for Charlie or to hear Edward's voice, but because she had a moment of happiness, so much so that it lasted even after she returned home and grins at Charlie surprising him.
"I was going to see Jacob again today. The thought made me feel almost... hopeful. Maybe it would be the same as yesterday. Maybe I wouldn't have to remind myself to look interested and to nod or smile at appropriate intervals, the way I had to with everyone else."
-- Immediately Meyers is distinguishing Jacob as different from the other people that Bella sees, including Charlie and her other friends at school. Charlie as an observer also notices the difference in Bella.
-- "I missed him horribly. It has been enough to be alone before I was scared silly. Now, more than ever, I yearned for his carefree laugh and his infectious grin. I needed the safe sanity of his homemade garage and his warm hand and my cold fingers." (while Jacob was "sick")
** They spend time together outside of working on the motorcycles, such as homework. Homework would be a logical excuse to not spend so much time with Jacob (and has nothing to do with seeing Edward's vision) but Bella enjoys Jacob's company and feels better when with him.
"You really like spending time with me?" he asked, marveling.
"Very, very much. And I'll prove it. I have to work tomorrow, but Wed. we'll do something nonmechanical."
-- Bella's concern for Jacob while he is "sick". She misses him far more than she would any other friend that she has.
-- "There was much more to this than an unrequited crush, and it surprised me that Billy would stoop to claiming that."
-- "We're a pretty messed-up pair, aren't we?" Jacob said. "Neither one of us can hold our shape together right." (Jacob refers to them as a pair, which Bella doesn't dispute)
"Pathetic." I agreed, still breathless.
"At lease we have each other," he said, clearly comforted by the thought.
I was comforted too. "At least there's that," I agreed.
** Sharing secrets and intimate feelings
- Jacob sharing his struggles with Sam and with Embry ignoring him, is the begging of them sharing things that are personal and intimate.
- Jacob clearly goes out of his way to make sure that Bella remembers the story that he told her because he WANTS her to know his secret. He doesn't want to keep it from her. "I know you can do this. I need you to understand. I won't lose you, Bella, not for this."
- The anger flashed hot inside me. "I hate them!" - Bella about Sam and the guys. That is clearly very strong emotions towards someone she thinks is hurting Jacob or has "brain washed" him in some way.
-- Their intimacy is much closer once Bella knows about his wolf and she is able to tell him about the Cullens and their abilities. They are often isolated for privacy. I am not going to quote their conversation just hanging out in the rabbit, but it is obviously very comfortable and no longer keeping secrets from each other. - "It was bizarre how much I could tell Jacob now. We had no more secrets."
-- "No. nothing would happen to Jacob. I had to believe that or I wouldn't be able to function."
-- "He already knew I was broken, that part wouldn't surprise him, but he'd need to know the extent of it. I'd even have to admit that I was crazy - explain about the voices I heard. He'd need to know everything before he made a decision."
-- His face twisted. "I knew how you felt about them. It shouldn't have taken me by surprise like that."
"Can't I be friends with you both at the same time?" I asked, my voice not hiding an ounce of the hurt I felt.
He shook his head slowly. "No, I don't think you can."
I sniffed and started at his big feet. "But you'll wait, right? You'll still be my friend, even though I love Alice, too?"
"Yeah, I'll always be your friend," he said gruffly. "No matter what you love."
"I'll miss you, Jacob whispered, echoing my thoughts. "Every minute. I hope she leaves soon."
-- As Bella leaves - "What if I never saw him again? The thought pushed me past the silent tears; a sob broke out from my chest. I threw my arms around his waist and hugged for one too-short moment, burying my tear-wet face against his chest. He put his big hand on the back of my hair, as if to hold me there.
"Bye, Jake." I pulled my hand from my hair and kissed his palm. I couldn't bear to look at his face. "Sorry," I whispered. Then I spun and raced for the car.
-- After Jacob brings the Bikes. - "I looked back at Jacob, torn. would I see him again?
"Sorry," he whispered so low that I had to read his lips to understand. "Bye, Bells." "You know how hard I've tried to keep that promise, but... I can't see how to keep trying. Not now..." He struggld to keep his hard mask in place, but it wavered, and then disappeared. "Miss you," he mouthed. One of his hands reached toward me, his fingers outstretched, like he wished they were long enough to cross the distance between us.
"Me, too," I chocked out. My hand reached toward his across the wide space. Like we were connected, the echo of his pain twisted inside me. His pain, my pain. "Jake..." I took a step toward him. I wanted to wrap my arms around his waist and erase the expression of misery on his face."
** Physical intimacy.
-Bella hugs Jacob when he expresses his concerns about Sam and Embry. Bella calls Jacob her friend, but at the same time acknowledges an emotional connection.
"It was strange for me, being this close - emotionally rather than physically, thought the physical was strange for me, too - to another human being."
- The lines of friendship and romance blurring.
"I took the candy. But I was trying to think of some way to make the boundaries clear. Again. They seemed to get blurred a lot with Jacob." (Bella attempts to bring up her school friends and a planned event that doesn't include Jacob in order to create that distance but fails when she doesn't want to hurt Jacob's feelings.)
"How was I ever going to fight the blurring lines in our relationship when I enjoyed being with him (Jacob) so much?" (said while watching the movie with Jacob and Mike)
- By the time of the movie "date" Jacob is in the "habit" of taking her hand. Habit implies repetition and something that happens quiet often. Bella acknowledges the difference of a theater and the intimacy that implies, she also makes the assumption that Jacob knows it is different which is why he doesn't take her hand like he normally would. Once alone again Jacob takes her hand, Bella protests and then gives in. It is also significant that Bella knows exactly how Jacob feels about her (prepared to be annoyingly persistent) and yet she accepts his friendship.
I sighed. "You shouldn't waste it on me," I said, though I wanted him to. Especially if he was willing to accept me the way I was - damaged goods, as is.
"It's what I want to do, as long as you still like to be with me."
"I can't imagine how I could not like being with you," I told him honestly.
-- "When we walked along the beach now, he always held my hand. This made me brood over what Jared had said, about Jacob involving his 'girlfriend'. I supposed that that was exactly what it looked like from the outside."
-- "I couldn't imagine my life without Jacob now - I cringed away from the idea of even trying to imagine that. Somehow, he'd become essential to my survival. But to leave things the way they were... was that cruel, as Mike had accused? I remembered wishing that Jacob were my brother. I realized NOW that all I really wanted was a claim on him. It didn't really feel brotherly when he held me like this." "I'd have to explain it right, so that he'd know I wasn't settling, that he was much too good for me."
- "He threw his other arm around me, crushing me against his chest, binding me to him. Again, this felt nice. almost like being a whole person again."
- "If I turned my face to the side - if I pressed my lips against his bare shoulder... I knew without any doubt exactly what would follow. It would be very easy. There would be no need for explanations tonight." - Why? Wouldn't there be? Shouldn't there be questions when you kiss your best friend? (At least a DTR conversation) -- When this opportunity is lost is Bella glad or disappointed? "Wait, I wanted to say. Just a minute." - Bella hadn't made the decision yet and she seemed disappointed to me.
- Kissing Jacob - "Maybe it would be easy - like holding his hand or having his arms around me. Maybe it would feel nice. Maybe it wouldn't feel like a betrayal. Besides, who was I betraying, anyway? Just myself. Keeping his eyes on mine, Jacob began to bend his face towards me. And I was still absolutely undecided. ... I was too muddled to react, even to take advantage of the distraction (the phone).
** Meyers makes a point of contrasting Mike and Jacob.
"I found that I was able to smile and laugh with him (mike), thought it wasn't as effortless as it was with Jacob.
"I believe that... we have a date," he (Jacob) said, his tone thick with implications.
It took me a second before I got it."
-- Bella doesn't seem nervous about what those "implications" might be before she understood that he meant the motorcycles. In contrast when Mike had just before that asked her to the movie, she immediately wanted to clarify that it was as just friends. Bella didn't feel the need to make that distinction with Jacob.
- "Also, the idea of having his (Jacob's) company for the ordeal - I had promised Mike, but really didn't feel any enthusiasm at the thought of following through - was just too tempting.
"You'd like me to come, with your friends there?"
"Yes," I admitted honestly, know as I continued that I was probably shooting myself in the foot with my words. "I'll have a lot more fun if you're there. Bring Quil, and we'll make it a party."
-- I won't quote everything, but there are lots of comparing and contrasting Mike and Jacob when Bella goes tot he movie with them both. Bella is clearly more comfortable and closer to Jacob than she is Mike. Why do you think that is? In theory Bella has spent more time with Mike than Jacob. She see Mike at school as well as works with him, but it is clear that Mike and Jacob are not equal.
-- Jared refers to Bella as Jacob's girlfriend and she doesn't object. (granted Bella did have a lot on her mind after witnesses Paul and Jacob's phasing in front of her and them fighting) - "He (Jacob) shouldn't have brought his girlfriend into this." - moments later - "Bella Swan," Jared told her, shrugging. Apparently, I'd been a topic of confersation before. "Who else?" "Leave it to Jacob to find a way around," Emily murmured. - Interesting that Emily and Jared are so familiar with Bella and know of Jacob's relationship with her, to the point that Emily is not surprised that Jacob found a way to get Bella in the inner circle.
-- Mike also notices: "Are you dating that kids from La Push? The sophomore?" He asked, poorly disguising the resentment in his tone.
- Let me make it very clear. I do NOT believe that Bella has to be OUT of love with Edward in order to be IN love with Jacob. There are multiple examples of Bella still being in love with Edward and I do not contest that Bella loves Edwards. I believe that Bella loves Edward more, even when he is away, and always loves Edward more than Jacob.
- Bella almost being killed by Laurant is a clear example of her still loving Edward.
- "Maybe it would be fun. A date with Jacob and a date with Edward... I laughed darkly to myself.(I find it interesting that Jacob is said first and Edward said secondly.)
- Paris: Jacob and Romeo: Edward -- "What if Juliet knew she couldn't survive without him (Paris)? What if he really loved her and wanted her to be happy? And... what if she loved Paris? Not like Romeo. Nothing like that, of course. But enough that she wanted him to be happy, too?" (That's why it was a good story. 'Juliet gets dumped and ends up with Paris' would have never been a hit. - I agree Bella, I agree. lol )
- "Would it be so wrong to try and make Jacob happy? (and I have read nothing to imply that Bella would be unhappy, and she herself would also be happy) "Even if the love I felt for him was no more than a weak echo of what I was capable of, even if my heart was far away, wandering and grieving after my fickle Romeo, would it be so very wrong?"
- I would also like to say that I believe that Meyers writes Edward and Jacob as OPPOSITES on purpose. So therefore to look at how Bella loves Edward and then try and use that as the "standard" for how Bella should love Jacob, is NOT what Meyers did. However she did the opposite.
-- RANDOM and off topic: But does anyone else wonder why Bella knows Carlisle's car so well? She knows the make and model, the leather seats, the tinted windows, the sound of the engine. Does that seem really odd to anyone else?
** Bella's heart
- Bella feels better when she is with Jacob.
"My chest seemed to relax as soon as I saw him, making it easier to breathe."
- "The hole came back, the way that it always did when I was away from Jacob" - the hole being in her chest. So Jacob fills that hole? If it comes back, that means it was filled and then comes back again. So is it fair to say that Jacob is filling that hole in her heart that Edward made?
- "I couldn't stand hurting Jacob; we seemed to be connected in an odd way, and his pain set off little stabs of my own."
- "I waited for the memory to hit - to open the gaping hole. But, as it so often did, Jacob's presence kept me whole."
- Was Bella pushing Jacob away because she really believed that she was broken and could never love him like she felt he deserved? Like she knew she was capable of loving? So is she trying to protect Jacob? "Now I was a little improved. The front room was in better repair. But that was all - just the one small piece. He deserved better than that - better than a one-room, falling-down fixer-up-per. No amount of investment on his part could put me back in working order." Bella calls herself selfish for keeping Jacob close, but is it also for Jacob's best interest that she keep him at a distance.
- "How much I wished that Jacob Black had been born my brother, my flesh-and-blood brother, so that I would have some legitimate claim on him that still left me free of any blame now. Heaven knows I had never wanted to use Jacob, but I couldn't help but interpret the guilt I felt now to mean that I had. Even more, I had never meant to love him." -- Bella acknowledges here that her feeling for Jacob are not brotherly, BUT that she wishes that they were. She also admits to loving Jacob. "But I needed Jacob now, needed him like a drug." (Sound familiar? Didn't Bella also compare Edward to being like a drug to her?) "I'd used him as a crutch for too long, and I was in deeper than I'd planned to go with anyone again." - AGAIN, does that imply that she is comparing her current feelings for Jacob to how she felt about Edward?
-- Bella's heart is constantly filled and empty, filled and empty, both descriptions are given to her heart throughout the book. Maybe this is inconsistency on Meyer's part or maybe this is confusion or lack of awareness of Bella.
-- "I'd never seen him (Jacob) look at anyone like that, least of all me. It hurt with a surprising intensity - a physical pain, a stabbing in my head."
-- "Are you breaking up with me?" The words were all wrong, but they were the best way I could think to phrase what I was asking. After all, what Jake and I had was more than any schoolyard romance. Stronger." - Could that be love that they shared?
-- "I'd cried myself to sleep over this boy. His harsh rejection had punched a painful new hole in what was left of my chest."
- "I was getting in deeper and deeper with Jacob without ever having consciously decided to progress in that direction and I didn't know what to do about it. - none of these very real, very deserving of thought, very pressing concerns could take my mind off the pain in my chest for long."
- "The hole had been festering lately, like it was getting revenge for the times that Jacob's presence had tamed it. The edges burned."
*** I know that there was a lot of information given here and maybe too much. I take these many many thoughts from Bella and combine them together to say she is a girl who has fallen or IS falling in love with her best friend.
1) Do you believe that a 2-3 day (I don't remember the exact number of days) love affair can be "true love" and love that lasts a life time?
2) Does the heart really go on?
First......OMG!!! I am so shocked this site is still going. Have not been here in about a year...Now here's my two cents.....
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love......Some translations replace the word LOVE with CHARITY....which i feel is more fitting.....when you think of Charity you think of GIVING.....putting your own needs aside to give to another....be it Time -Money-or Yourself....with Easter nearing I can't help but this ...for God so loved the world that he GAVE his only Son.........with friends, family, life mates, ect....showing your love to the people around you commands that you give of yourself....and of course i think that Bella/Edward gave and would give all for each other....in my mind I do not see them as seperate entities....i have a new moon poster of them entertwined as one unit....both just want to make the other happy....love never ends....
Hey welcome back :)
Interesting that love or "charity" would be greater than hope and faith. Thank you for the great Easter illustration of the ultimate act of giving and also the greatest love ever given or received. :D
During Edward's proposal, does Bella seem like a girl who is being asked to marry her soul mate and love of her life? This particular scene has always really bothered me.
(I'll add some quotes that I find odd about the proposal when I have time)