The Twilight Saga

Merciless Angel

Fury and vengeance lurked deep in his emerald eyes; piercing into they soul of whoever looked at him. It was his guard against ever letting anyone come in. He acted like he didn't care—that the world meant nothing to him—but I could see the agony and yearning behind the barrier. He would never admit these emotions of weakness though. Because to him showing weakness was worse than death. Live to kill, Kill to live, and love only to suffer, was his personal motto. He said he would never love anyone or anything, because there was nothing left of a soul in his body. But I didn’t believe him for a second. Angels were created to love...and he was an angel...a merciless Angel.

Please note that I started this story a long time ago, and my writing has improved a lot

Preface-

Hunger. Thirst. Lust. Pain. All unavoidable things. Things that no matter what you do; they come back. Always in the back of your mind like bees--stinging your brain over and over again until you kill them. But some things don’t have to be unavoidable…things like death.

I could avoid death forever; but did I really want too? Did I want to walk this earth forever, searching for something I may never find? Did I want to fight endlessly, never loosing? This city was a clot of death, destruction, unjust behavior, and filled with monsters. Literally. Was this where I wanted to spend eternity? Did I truly want to spend eternity anywhere on this desolate earth?

The answer to all these questions is simply no. I didn't want to walk this earth forever, fighting and killing. I didn't want to stay in this empty city filled with demons. But it doesn’t matter what I want. Because I have to stay in this city and do what I was brought here to do. It’s not my choice…and it never will be. Not everything is about me of course, but the majority of things are.

Chapter 1- (Destiny's POV)

“Destiny, could you please turn your music down for one second and listen to me?” Frank commanded from beside me. I opened my eyes sighing exuberantly in the process, and paused my Ipod before turning to face him.

“What do you want Frank?” I asked, already irritated with the predictable behavior of yet another father figure.

“Don’t talk to me like you’re a pouty five year old; act your age for once.” He grumbled, his perfectly trimmed mustache twitching impatiently.

“Do you even know how old I am?” I challenged innocently. His eyes narrowed resentfully.

“You’re...” He paused, clearly stumped by the question. “...sixteen and much too young to live in Chicago by yourself.”He said a matter-of-factually.

“I’m not living by myself, I’m living with Ryan.” I told him for the fifth time. “Remember, he’s my brother. And by the way, I’m seventeen.” I stated, agitated already. Frank acted like such a know it all, yet he didn't know a thing about me. I clicked the play button on my Ipod and turned it up to block out his angered answer.

I was so sick of Frank. I had only know him for a couple of months, but it was enough of him forever. My mom had gone through many boyfriends in the last few years, and Frank was her latest. He was “stable” as she had put it. He had a retirement fund already, a steady job, and had accomplished so much. My mom thought some stability in life would be good for me.

Of course, like everything she did, she forgot to actually consider what I thought. She never took the time to think about if I even wanted a father, or wanted to meet any of her 'boy toys'. I was used to it by now, because I had met so many, but I still wasn't down with it.

I had moved so many times in the last five years from her crazes that I had actually lost count. I had traveled all over the United States and Canada, never staying anywhere for more than half a year. I never got the chance to make friends, and a boyfriend was completely out of the question.

I would go to school, and pretty much just shut up and do my work. Although sometimes I would start a few fights, disrespect the teachers, or start a fire, they couldn’t punish me because I would already be moving across the country. For the first few moves I had argued with my mom and begged her to stay, but I was accustom to it now.

Truthfully, I was always fine it just being my mom and me, but lately she had suddenly needed companionship, so I would constantly be helping get ready for dates or shopping for 'sexy clothes.' She was like a teenage girl obsessed with boys, except she wasn't actually a teen. Though she was quite young to be a mother.

Her and my dad had 'hooked up' on several occasions when they were young; one time producing my brother, and another time producing me. My mom said we were blessings, but I couldn't believe her. Her life had changed for the worst when she was fifteen, and she had been struggling ever since.

My dad left after I was a few days old, so it wasn't like I missed him. Sure, I wished my mom had someone that would balance her out, but I didn't feel the need for a male presence in my life. One bossy parent was enough.

So that's why I was moving to Chicago to live with Ryan. My mom deserved the chance to let her romance with Frank grow, and I didn't want to be an obstacle. Plus, I was sure it would be easier to live with my almost twin brother. We were the same in spirit and soul, and I was positive we would get along just fine.

Maybe this would be my new beginning. Maybe I would find the thing that would make me fight to stay there. Maybe, and maybe not. It was just a new adventure that I was ready to take on.

“Please fasten your seatbelts, we are preparing to land.” The female attendant’s voice rang over the intercom. I clicked my seatbelt in and got ready to see my newest home.

“This place is a dump.” Frank grumbled, shaking his head as the taxi drove through the cluster of cars. I couldn’t agree in the least.

In this city breathtaking city you could barely tell if it was night or day. All the lights of buildings and billboards twinkled against what part of the dark sky you could see. Throngs of people covered the sidewalks and streets. Every store I had ever heard of seemed to all be on the same street. The skyscrapers towered over all the tiny shops, and the thousands of windows reflected the bright lights.

“It’s…amazing!” I breathed as I continued to look out the window. “Look at all the lights! And the people! Their so colorful and unique!”

“Destiny, be serious! Look at all the homeless people! They cover the street like bugs. And all the prostitutes and gangs! How can anyone want to live here?” He snorted in disgust.

“How can anyone not want to live here? Think of all the cool people you could meet? And all the great parties and concerts?” I half screamed, completely blissful.

“You’re not making me feel any better Destiny. You can’t trust anyone here. Not unless you want to end up in Tokyo missing a kidney.”

“Don’t be so uptight Frank.” I rolled my eyes. I think I had finally found my favorite place in the world. I couldn’t wait to explore this giant city.

“I’m not uptight; I’m just responsible and realistic. I can’t believe your mother agreed to let you live here.” In the reflection of the window I saw him shaking his head still.

“She trusts me. She knows that I’m street smart and I can take care of myself. And she knows that Ryan will help out.” I stated in her defense.

“That boy doesn’t know the difference between drugs and candy.” Frank growled. I turned away from the window to glare at him.

“Did you just diss my brother?” I asked in awe. I loved Ryan more than anything. Ryan was my favorite person in the world, and I had missed him terribly for the last year.

“No, I just told you a fact.”

I sighed loudly and turned back to the window. I just had to get there, then Frank would be out of my life. Well, at least for a while.

“563 Greenwald Street.” The taxi driver announced as he slowed down. I scrambled out of the taxi quickly as it came to a full stop.

“This is where he lives?!!” Frank yelled in surprise. I looked up. I didn’t think it was so bad. It was rundown sure, but it was downtown, and it was better than some places I had lived as a child.

“Yup.” I replied. I opened the trunk of the taxi and grabbed my two suitcases. Frank told the taxi driver to wait for a few minutes while he got me settled in.

“He’s in 3B.” I announced as we entered the building. The inside was worse than the outside. The wallpaper was falling off, green moss piled in the corners, and it looked like it had never been dusted or cleaned. I was sure Frank wanted to say something, but he kept his lips in a tight line.

We climbed up the ancient stairs that felt like they could collapse any second if too much weight was put on them. I tried not to breath, because I was sure that the air mixed with dust and other chemical smelling substances wouldn’t be good for me.

Once we reached the third floor Frank looked like he was going to have a fit right then and there. The hallway had no visible lights, and the floorboards had huge gaps between them that looked like someone had tried to glue them together with gum. It was a comical scene, and I felt like laughing.

“Just take a deep breath.” I said calmly. Not waiting for an answer I walked forward to the door with 3B painted on it. I knocked three times. After a few seconds I heard light steps and then the door opened.

“Ryan!” I yelled. I dropped my suitcases, cringing as the floorboards shifted, and jumped into my brothers arms. His familiar smell soothed every nerve in my body. He smelt musky with a hint of mint.

“Hey baby sister. I missed you.” He whispered into my hair. I pulled back and inspected him. He was taller, probably around 6'1. His hair was shorter than I remembered, put in a spiky style. His eyes seemed a shade of blue darker, but his smile was same.

“I missed you too!” I said, and I gave him another hug.

“Nice to see you again Ryan.” Frank said politely as he stepped forward sticking his meaty hand out awkwardly.

“Always a pleasure.” Ryan said as he shook his hand.

“Nice place you have here.” Frank said sarcastically. Ryan nodded, stifling a laugh.

“Come in.” Ryan said moving to the side, his arm still around my waist. Frank looked over into the small, messy apartment and shook his head.

“Wish I could, but I have a taxi waiting downstairs. And I’m sure Destiny is sick of me.” He said quickly.

“Um…Thanks for bringing me Frank. Tell my mom I will call her tomorrow.” I said civily.

“Sure, sure. Have fun kids.” He urged. He reached out and squeezed my arm then turned back to shuffle down the dark hallway.

I turned to smile at Ryan, and he smiled back. Then he stuck out his hand and gestured to the door.

“Ladies first.”

I grinned, feeling more at home than I ever had before.

*note* All characters are mine, along with the plot and ideas

Tags: Angel, Fallen, Merciless, Non-Twilight, related

Views: 2824

Replies to This Discussion

OMG!!!! that was amazing write more soon!!!!:}
omg!!! awesome!!! post more asap!!!!
just read your story for the first time--I love it! I hope you update soon!
Hey guys! I'm sorry it's taken me so long to update! I have been doing midterms for the last two weeks, and I've spent all my extra time studying. But I have a week off school now, so I promise to update again right away! Thanks and I hope you enjoy the chapter. (sorry it's short)

Fallen Angel- Chapter 10
(Kale’s POV)

A smile pulled deviously at my lips as I turned the sharp corner. Their feet padded heavily on the wet ground behind me, raspy breathing coming from their mouths. I sprinted easily, not losing pace at all. If it was a chase they wanted, A chase is what I would give them.

“Call Sanders! We almost have him!” A deep voice commanded from behind me. The screech of the cell phone waves flowed through the air, ringing in my ears. I forced my legs to work a little bit faster, putting stress on the muscles. The burn felt nice as it seethed through me.

“Beckett, O’neil, go around the side and cut him off!” The deep voice commanded again and two sets of footsteps turned a different way.

“That’s right, try using some brains.” I grumbled under my breath. When ahead of me I saw the faint shadows of two men, I turned sharply again and jumped up onto a ladder that was a few feet away from the ground.

I climbed up the metal steps fluently, and chuckled as I felt the vibration of them stumbling up it behind me. Once I reached the top, I hoisted myself on top of the building. I walked slowly to the middle of the rooftop and waited.

The leader came up first, followed by two muscular men. The other two still were climbing up the ladder. Too bad they would miss the show. The other three formed a line and inched forward slowly.

“Don’t try anything funny boy.” The tallest one said gruffly.

“Yah, just come nice and easy and we won’t have to hurt you.” A short, dwarf like man said. What an old corny line.

“Did you get a new hair cut? I swear your hair was longer last week when we did this.” I said mockingly at the short man. His brows furrowed and silver streaks flashed in his eyes. A scowl twitched at his lips.

“I take that as a no.” I breathed.

“That is quite enough. We have you this time. There is no running away now.” The deep voiced one said. He took a step forward, and I took one back.

“Sorry to end this party, but I have things to do.” I shrugged and flashed them one more smile before I turned around and jumped off the edge of the building.

( Destiny’s POV)

Dizziness evaded my mind, and nausea spun in my stomach. I vaguely remembered my arm, and how much it had hurt. I wasn’t sure how much time had passed, but my arm didn’t hurt anymore. I sat up and looked around. I was on the couch in the middle of Ryan’s apartment, and he was curled up in the chair sleeping.

“Ryan?” I croaked, my throat feeling scratchy. He stirred slightly, and his head lolled to the side. I rubbed my eyes and observed what was on the table. Unmarked glass bottles lay across it, along with jars of what looked like spice. What was it?

I reached forward and grasped a bowl of salve. It was a dark green color with red specks in it. I lifted it to my nose and sniffed it. The strong sent burned the inside of my nose, and sent a flame down my throat. This couldn’t be a drug; it didn’t give me a buzz or anything.

“Ryan.” I said more strongly as I walked over to him. This time his eyes opened, and he looked around warily.

“Destiny? Is your arm okay?” He asked lazily straightening out in the small chair. I nodded as my fingers traced over the faint marks on my wrist.

“What is all this stuff?” I asked gesturing to the assortment of goods on the table.

“Healing ingredients.” He answered quickly, but truthfully. My eyes darted across the apartment to the window. Outside it was dark, early in the morning I guessed. I would have to get to school soon.

“What happened Ryan, to my arm? Why did I react that way to a few cuts?” I pushed hoping he wouldn’t try to get out of telling me the truth.

He seemed to struggle with words for a moment, and then his voice went quiet and soft. “I’m sorry Destiny. For everything. I’m sorry I brought you here.”

His words hurt me. He was sorry I was here? “You don’t want me here?”

“That’s not it Des, I love you. You’re my little sister. But you’re in danger here, in a city like this.” He said, not clarifying why exactly.

“I am in danger anyplace Ryan. But I need you to tell me what’s going on.” I stated.

“I can’t.”

“Why not? Whatever kind of trouble you’re in, I can help you.” I replied honestly. I wanted to be able to help him, to be able to live with him without these problems.

“I’m not in any trouble Destiny. It’s just…” he leaned towards me, his eyes serious. “There are things you don’t know, dark things out there that could hurt you.”

His words sent chills down my spine. I swear I could see flashes of lighting in his eyes as he said the words. My mind was racing with all the possibilities of his words, but I still came up blank.

“Please Ryan. Tell me what the hell is going on.” I somewhat begged.

He considered for a moment, then answered. “I will pick you up after school. Then we can talk further. OK?”

“Ok.” I whispered. He leaned back in the chair and closed his eyes. I sighed, and then headed for a long, hot, shower.

After I was done my shower I put on some makeup and ran a brush through my wild hair. I pulled on some black jeans, a dark blue shirt, and a black hoodie. I grabbed my backpack, ignoring Ryan who was sleeping in the chair again. I headed out of the house a few minutes earlier than I had too.

It was a partially sunny day out, no more rain. I walked slowly down the already crowded streets toward the school. I half hoped to bump into Kale, but my hopes were crushed as I got closer to the school.

When I came through the glass doors the secretary, Ms. Rudson, glared at me just like the first day. I guess I still didn’t live up to the expected appearances of the students.

I was the first one in the classroom, so I took the quiet to my advantage. I pulled out my sketch book and pencils and began to sketch. Once again I didn’t check my work, or concentrate even. I just let my fingers guide the pencil across the page.

Eventually others began to show up, but I completely ignored them. I didn’t dare pull my eyes away from the work until a familiar voice interrupted me.

“That’s kinda creepy.” Chase said humorously from above me. I looked up at him and smiled. Then I looked back down at my picture. He was right, it was kind of creepy. But what he didn’t know was that it was of Kale again.

Destiny's Drawing

Whoa!!!
I hope her brother does finally tell her the truth this time though :D
Really? I want to read that book:-)
It was great!!!! wow!!!! you need to write more asap!!!!!! =)
Awesome!!!!
great !! :D
hi iim a new reader, and well I was wondering if this is the second book or is this the first? oh and I loved it so ccan you keep me updated?
It's the first. And sure, I'll update you
Chapter 11 (Destiny’s POV)

“I want everyone to pair up with a partner.” Mr. Salmon announced. Before I could even look around Chase was at the side of my desk.

“Would you do me the honor of being my partner?” He asked, bowing. I smiled and stood up. I grabbed my pencils and followed him to the back of the room. We sat at the table closet to the wall made of glass.

“I want you to work together to create one picture, using your individual talents.” Mr. Salmon explained. A few students murmured as he said it. It wasn’t going to be too hard, I concluded.

Chase grabbed a piece of white paper from his binder, and set it in front of us. “What should we create?” He asked, raising an eyebrow.

“I’m not sure. What do you like to draw pictures of?” I asked.
Chase thought for a second then answered, “I mostly like landscapes…maybe we could do something of a city.”

I smiled, agreeing. I had always wanted to do a picture of a cityscape. We began discussing exactly what to draw, the rest of the class disappearing.

“What if you drew the city at night, and had like a whole bunch of lights and different shades?” I said excitedly. Chase nodded in agreement.

“That would definitely be cool.” He beamed at me, and I smiled back. “But you know Destiny, this is going to take a lot of work.”

“I know. Everything nowadays takes a lot of work.” I said, snatching the paper from his hands. I began to draw a very rough outline of a small part of the city I had seen when I was in the cab. I drew the tall buildings I had seen, and the big billboards.

“What I meant is that we will have to work on this outside of school.” Chase said a-matter-of-factly. I paused, and considered what he said.

“I don’t mind if you don’t mind.” I said, staring into his almond eyes. He was a good friend, and I was glad that he liked me.

“Don’t insult me. Of course I don’t mind.” He snorted, then grabbed the sheet away from me. “Now, it’s my turn to draw.” Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye I saw something.

Across the street a shadowed figure was moving in an alleyway. My breath caught in my throat as I picture the strange boy from last night. I sighed in relief as Kale emerged, wearing dark jeans and a black shirt.
I
n such dark colors his skin seemed paler, and his eyes brighter. In the mist of the light rain he seemed more exquisite, more untouchable. I caught the thought and threw it away. I didn’t even know
Kale, and he was probably just wandering around.

“Destiny?” Chase said, and my concentration was broken.

“What?” I replied, dazed.

“Are you checking that guy out?” He chuckled, humor on his face. Embarrassment caused my cheeks to flood with blood. That was exactly what I had been doing.

“I know him, he’s kinda a friend of mine.” I said, covering the nervousness in my voice.

“Right.” Chase said sarcastically. He bent back down and continued to draw on the paper.

I looked out the window again, and to my surprise Kale was on this side of the street, heading towards the door to the school. What was he doing here? My heart raced at the thought of him coming to get me.

I shook my head, and turned to Chase. “That looks great.” I muttered, barely looking at the sketch of the cityscape he had started. I nervously waited to see if Kale would show up, or if something would happen.

The minutes ticked by slowly, and suddenly there was a knock on the classroom door. I froze, waiting. Mr. Salmon trudged to the door, annoyed. When he opened it the secretary came in, her face flushed. She wore a tight red dress and black heels that made her a few inches taller than Mr. Salmon. He looked up and down her body, smiling. I scowled in disgust.

“Destiny Sanders,” She began, her voice weak. “You are to be excused from class for the rest of the day.” She smiled, then walked out of the room, the click of her heels getting quieter. I was stuck in place for a second, shocked. Chase looked at me waiting for an explanation. I shrugged, and grabbed my stuff. I hastily stuffed my papers in my backpack and half ran out the door.

Down the stairs, Kale was leaning against the glass desk casually. The secretary was back in her chair, smiling at him and batting her eyelashes. I felt a pang of jealousy for no reason. When I reached the bottom of the stairs Kale glanced up, smiling a little.

Without saying anything he grabbed my arm, and gently pulled me behind him. I snuck a glance at the secretary, who was glaring at me. I was tempted to stick my tongue out at her, but I decided against it.

Once we were out the door Kale dropped my arm. “You don’t mind ditching school, do you?” He asked. I shook my head. I followed him, without saying anything. He stopped suddenly, and veered inside a small café. He sat down at the first table on the left, overlooking the street. I sat down across from him, and stared at him with wonder.

“Um…Can I ask why you helped me get out of school?” I questioned.

“I wanted to talk to you.” He answered, looking out the window. I waited for him to say more, but he didn’t. A waiter walked up to us, and asked to take our order. Kale ordered a coffee and a muffin. I asked for the same.

“What did you want to talk about?” I said once the waiter left to fetch our order. He didn’t answer for a minute. “Kale?” I said softly.

He looked at me then, his eyes emotionless. “It’s about your brother.”

I gulped loudly. “What about Ryan?” I asked shakily.

“What has he told you about me?” He asked, staring into my eyes. I was dazzled for a second, but then I regained myself.

“Nothing, just that I should stay away from you.” I answered honestly. He rolled his eyes and shook his head.

“Of course he would tell you that.” He said to himself.
“What do you mean by ‘of course he would tell you that?” I said a tinge of anger in my voice.

When he didn’t answer I asked a different question. “What do you two have against each other?” I was starting to get real sick of all the secrecy.

“Now that is a long story.” He said, leaning back in his chair.
“I have time.” I pushed.

He glanced down at my hands, which were sitting in the table. His eyes widened in shock suddenly. He leaned forward and grasped my arm in his hand. I looked down, and realized he was looking at the scars on my wrist.

“Where did you get those from.” He asked angrily. I pulled away from him, and stuffed my hand in my pocket.

“I got cut.” I lied, but I knew he could see through it. His face got angry then, and I felt fear.

“Destiny. Tell me how you got those.” He said in a strong voice.

“A boy grabbed me and his nails cut into my skin, okay!” I half yelled. His anger got greater and he leaned back into his chair with an exaggerated sigh, and closed his eyes. He breathed deeply, and I didn’t dare disturb him.

“Who was it.” He asked as he pinched the bridge of his nose with his pale fingers.

“Who was who?” I asked innocently. His eyes flashed opened, and the fierceness radiating from the emerald colored eyes was enough to make me gasp.

“I-I don’t know who it was. It was just some teenage boy….I think his name was Caleb.” I stuttered, trying to remember.

“Damn it!” He growled, and slammed his fists on the table. I waited silently, not wanting to make him angrier. A few seconds later the waiter came back and set or orders on the table without saying a word. I hesitantly took a sip of the coffee, not meeting Kale’s eyes.

There was vibrate in my pocket, and I fumbled to pull my cell phone out. It was a text message from Chase.

Hey why did u have to leave?

Kale decided to help me ditch school so we could talk. I text back quickly.

Is Kale the friend that u were checkin out??

Yah, but I can’t talk now. I sent back and stuffed my phone back in my pocket. I looked up at Kale, and saw that he was staring at me.

“What?” I asked rudely.

“I’m sorry for getting angry at you.” He said unemotionally.

“It’s fine.” I said back softly. I didn’t feel angry at him, or upset that he had yelled at me. I wasn’t sure why though. “Just tell me what’s going on.”

His face got angry again, and his jaw clenched. “I could, but I won’t.” He said simply.

“Why not?”

“Because it would be a waste of my time. I owe nothing to you, and I don’t do things for free.
Especially for nobody’s like you.” He said his eyes hard with determination.

For a single second I felt like crying, but that was soon washed away but anger. “What the hell I your problem?!” I growled.

“It looks to me like you’re the one with a problem.” He gestured to the marks on my hand.
I covered my wrist with my other hand and glared at him. “Why did you bring me here then? You said you wanted to talk to me about my brother.” I said between gritted teeth. He smiled wickedly.

“I’ve had a change of heart.” He said, and stood up. He through a couple of bills on the table, then walked towards the door. I grabbed my backpack from the floor and chased after him. He wasn’t getting away that easily.

When I walked outside a strong wind pushed against me, sending chills down my spine. I ignored it, and ran after the quickly moving shape of Kale. Once I was close enough to him I grabbed his shoulder to pull his around.

His hand snapped on my wrist, and wrenched it from his shoulder. “Don’t. Touch. Me.” He stated.

“Don’t mess with me Kale. I’m not one of those girls you can just play around with and expect to give up. Tell me what is going on before things get messy.” I said in a stronger voice than I ever thought I have. He just smirked.

“Are you threatening me?”He said playfully. “What could you possibly do to me?” He said, leaning towards me. When I didn’t answer he chuckled. Suddenly my fingers curled into a fist and snapped out hitting him square in the face.

He stumbled backwards, and gripped his nose. I reached my hand out and waved my pointer finger, trying to urge him on. “Bring it.” I spat.

His hands dropped from his face, and to my surprise there was not blood. He stared at me for a minute longer. I was shocked that he didn’t get angry. “You can punch me all you want, but that won’t get you any closer to what you want to know.” He said, then turned and walked away. This time I didn’t follow.

Chapter 12 (Destiny’s POV)

Somehow, while I walking towards Ryan’s apartment I ended up in a clothing store. It was a brightly colored store, with tons of racks filled with all sorts of clothing, from; neon colored shirts, to extremely wide bellbottoms, to shirts that almost didn’t classify as shirts, but more as thin rags.

I decided that I wanted a distraction, so I browsed through the racks, seeing if there was anything I wanted. Stuck in my shopping mind, I didn’t hear anyone approach me. A slight tap on my shoulder made me jump, and let out a gasp.

When I turned around, ready to fight off anyone, I was relieved to see Chase. “Oh my god, you scared me!” I breathed, letting out a deep sigh.

“Sorry, but you really should be more observant.” He chuckled. His bleach blond hair fell over his blue eyes as he leaned forward. I bit my lip, not sure what to say. I kinda wanted some time alone so I could figure out what to do.

“So…”

“So how was coffee with lover boy?” He asked jokingly, but I could see the seriousness behind the question.

“It was…” I struggled on how to describe it. “Difficult. He wasn’t very pleasant.”

Chase eyes widended and he grabbed my elbow tightly. “Did he hurt you?” He whispered.

“No! Of course not!” I revolted, and pulled my arms from his grasp. His hands fell to his side limply.

“Then what happened?” He questioned.

“It’s not really your problem Chase.” I mumbled, picking some invisible lint of my shirt.

“Destiny,” He reached out and lifted my chin with his slightly cold hand. “You are my business. I really-“ He was cut off by the door slamming against the window as Kale burst through the door.

Kale’s POV-
5 minutes before

I walked through the crowds of people furiously, not caring if I knocked into them. The wind blew hard against my face, but the bitterness of the cold didn’t get a fraction of my attention. I didn’t want to think about anything, or anyone.

But like usual, I didn’t get what I wanted. That girl, Destiny, who did she think she was? If it had been under any other circumstance, or any other person, they wouldn’t have gotten away with punching me in the face. She was an exception only because I needed to save her for later, when I really wanted to make Ryan angry.

Suddenly a hard figure slammed into me, and I stumbled backwards. I looked up into two piercing black, silver streaked eyes. I smiled to myself at the irony.

“Hey Caleb.” I said amused. His eyes flickered with anger, but they quickly returned back to normal.

“Nice to see you again so soon.” He said sarcastically. I nodded, and checked out his appearance.

Under his black cloak I could see a sword, a machete and a few daggers. He didn’t hide them very well though; I could see the thin figures under material.

“What are you doing here, in the middle of the day?” I questioned. I got an uneasy feeling in my stomach that he was here for Destiny.

“I actually came to get Ryan’s sister. But I’m sure you already knew that.” He stated. He walked past me quickly, but I grabbed the back of his jacket and slammed him against the concrete.

While he struggled on the ground, I turned and sprinted towards the way I had seen Destiny go. I passed by shops, glancing into the windows quickly hoping to see her. I stopped in front of a small clothing store when I saw her inside with a unfamiliar boy, who was holding her chin up.

The emotion I felt inside was new to me, and completely uncalled for. It made blood pulse through my veins, and my hands clench into fists. But I shoved the emotion away, and burst through the glass door.

“Destiny!” I shouted, walked forward quickly. She turned around, and her eyes widened in shock. She pulled away from the boy and crossed her arms over her chest.

“What do you want?” She asked angrily. I guess I deserved it.

“You have to leave. Right. Now.” I said strictly, hoping she would do it without asking questions.
But of course she didn’t. “Why?”

“Because I said so!” I yelled, as I reached forward and grabbed her arm. The boy next to her suddenly stepped forward and pushed against my chest, causing me to release her arm.

“Don’t touch her!” He demanded. I smiled, and stepped right in front of him, towering a good foot above him. He gulped and I saw the fear in his blue eyes.

“Don’t be stupid.” I muttered. “You wouldn’t want to get hurt.”

“Stop it Kale!” Destiny said and grabbed my shoulder. She turned me towards her, and glared at me with an intensity I had never seen before. Her almond eyes had a fierceness in them that told me she was on the brink.

“Des-“ I was interrupted by a shattering of glass from beside us. Glass shards rained over me, a few idly cutting into my skin. I whipped my head around to look through the broken window and saw Caleb with his fist out, dripping with blood.

The cashier screamed, and ran towards the back room. I didn’t waste a second of time, I grabbed
Destiny around the waist and easily lifted her over my shoulder.

“Hey!” She protested, but I ignored her. I turned the opposite way and ran towards a window that showed the back alley. Destiny screamed, realizing what I was going to do. I turned my body so I would take the impact and picked up speed.

As I jumped through glass shattered around us, a high screeching from the shards erupting in my ears. A few seconds later I landed a few feet down on the concrete, glass clinging to my skin and jacket. I didn’t stop, and ,ust kept running down the dark alley as fast as my legs would take me.

“Stop Kale! Chase is back there!” She screamed, slamming her fists against my back. I barely could hear her over the sounds of cars honking and people shouting as I ran across the street smoothly.

I continued to run down an abandoned road, hoping I had lost him. But to my dismay the sound of feet lightly running behind me told me he was there.

Ahead I saw a pile of garbage bags filled with household garbage. Without breaking pace I lifted Destiny up from my shoulder and gently threw her a couple feet towards the garbage pile. She landed with a faint thud on the bags, a few breaking open and spilling over her.

Then I turned around and snapped my fist out. I caught Caleb in the jaw, and before he could recover I punched him with my other fist in the gut. His breath came out in a rasp, and his hands wrapped around his abdomen. I reached into my jacket and pulled a sharp dagger out from an inside pocket.

In those few seconds Caleb recovered, and out of his black boot he pulled out a small machete. I smiled, and waved my fingers, aging him on. He took the bait and ran forward at an inhuman speed. I twisted out of way of his shot and stabbed the dagger into his shoulder blade. I pulled against it, cutting through his back. He howled in pain, and quicker than I could dodge it he smacked my in the back of the head with the butt of his machete.

I lost grip on the dagger and backed into the hard wall of the brick building. He lunged forward again, his blade headed straight for my neck. I reached out and grabbed his arm, twisting it around his back.

I pushed him to the ground, smiling as his arm cracked against the pressure.

I wasn’t expecting him to be so strong, so it knocked me off guard when he pushed up and I fell off his back. He squirmed out of my grasp, and pinned me to the ground. His black eyes flashed silver as he breathed deeply. I grunted in disgust and struggled, reaching for the dagger still in his back.

Destiny gasped, and suddenly she crashed against Caleb’s body. She landed hard on the ground, Caleb on top of her.

“Destiny don’t fight me! I’m on your side!” He grunted. She punched him in the face before he could plea his case any further. I stood up and wretched the dagger from his back, and stabbed in into the base of his neck. He collapsed on top of Destiny, winding her. I grabbed him, and threw him against the side of the building.

He fell to the ground, and before he could get up I stuck my foot on his back, and pinned him back down. “You’ve lost this round Caleb.” I chuckled weakly. With a last burst of strength I pushed the dagger farther into his neck, until he collapsed in a useless bunch. His body stayed for a second, then turned into ash and blew away into the wind, leaving the dagger behind.

I picked it up with a deep sigh and turned to face Destiny. Her face was a mask of horror mixed with shock. She was still on the ground, covered in blood and garbage. Her long brown hair was plastered against her face, falling into messy ringlets. She was….I struggled for the right word—pretty, I guessed, except for being covered in garbage and all.

I quickly erased the thought from my mind, and walked towards her. “That wasn’t so bad.” I said. Her expression didn’t change, except she began to stand up, but she quickly lost feeling in her knees and began to fall back down. I quickly reached out before she hit the ground, and supported her.

Her fingers clung to my jacket for a second, but then let go almost immediately. She pushed me away weakly and stood shaking. Cuts covered her arms and face along with multiple bruises.

“Are you okay?” I asked. She nodded, and took a deep breath.

“What the hell just happened?” She said with a sudden amount of roughness in her voice.

“What do you mean?” I asked, dumbfound.

“I mean you just picked me up and ran with me, then killed a guy who burst into ashes! Not to mention you were like a commando, flipping around and stabbing him!” She shouted in hysteria.

I stuck my hands out in defense. “Calm down.”

“Don’t you dare tell me to calm down! You owe me an explanation right now! And no crap, I want the truth!” She said, tears in her eyes. She suddenly began to cry uncontrollably, and I wasn’t sure what to do.

I took a step forward and put my arm around her shoulder. “It’s okay Destiny. You’re safe with me. Don’t cry.” I whispered.

She lifted her head up, and her eyes raked over my face. “You have really nice eyes.” She whimpered before she fell limp in my arms.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service