The Twilight Saga

Okay, so I've only been reading Stephenie's books for two weeks now. I saw on her site everything about Midnight Sun, and I decided not to even read the chapters she posted there because I wanted to respect her wishes about the whole thing. I thought that, if she felt so strongly about it, then she shouldn't have to finish the thing because, really, that was a completely awful thing for someone to do. And I was really getting upset about how everyone kept going on and on in the forums about how much it's not fair that she might not write anymore. I mean, they're her books, it's her world, and if something happens and she doesn't want to continue, that should be her choice. It was all very simple in my head.

Then I was bored this morning, trying to avoid some studying I'm supposed to be doing for a military promotion test. So I went ahead and gave in to the temptation that I'd been trying valiantly to ignore, and I went to her site and clicked on the dang link because, really, each book that she published in 2008 just got better and better for me, so I wanted to see what she did with another point of view on characters that, frankly, I didn't love much at all, at least at first. I really only kept reading the saga because the story was so good, not because I liked the characters much at all.

I read those twelve chapters in two hours straight. I didn't move from the couch until I was done. As I was nearing the end, I didn't want it to end. And then I started thinking that it wasn't fair.

I don't mean that it's not fair to us fans, although there's plenty of people who feel that way right now, from what I've seen. I mean that it's not fair for Stephenie, because those chapters moved me more than most of the Twilight Saga combined. I think that the characters were more alive, became more complex, and her writing was just better. I actually liked what I read of Midnight Sun much better than Twilight just because it explained so much, and I enjoyed the viewpoint so much better. I also think that it takes true talent to be able to go back to a story you've already written and tell it almost seamlessly in another point of view (and I'm sure the few hitches would have come out with some editing), not to mention true dedication.

So it's not fair that someone took that away from Stephenie, and no, it's not fair that that person potentially took such a beautiful book away from all of us. And, while I'm trying very hard to supress it, there's a corner of my mind that wants me to beg and scream and plead and offer my only child in servitude if Stephenie will only change her mind and finish it. But I'll supress it, because I still think it should be her choice. But it's also still just not fair, to everyone including her.

Views: 21

Replies to This Discussion

I agree. I want to see it completed too. We'll have to be patient.
Your the first and only person that's touched the point exactly. You also hit on the one thing that everyone has either not seen or forgotten and that is how about mrs. Meyers feels about the someone she trusted leaking midnight sun. It's a wonderfull draft so far ,if everyone leaves her to finish it when she gathers her thoughts back on her books and time specialy time. Remember a book is telling a story of a person, family and a world that's either close to reality or fantasy , that is not easy and it takes time. So I bet that when she does finish it is going to be great even wonderfull. So we have to be patience. Like I said you touched the point exactly. thank you

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service