The Twilight Saga

I thought that it would be nice to have a place to post anything relating to Robert Pattinson without worry of crossing the boundaries of the discussion.  Feel free to add anything that you think might be of interest to other fans.

Tags: Pattinson, Robert

Views: 30790

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rob and Cronenberg discuss Cosmopolis, fans, fame and more with The...

Q. You both have said that you filmed this movie in chronological order, and I know that with many movies, the last scenes are shot first. Was that a luxury — to film from start to finish?
Cronenberg: One of the trickiest things that I had to learn as a director was exactly that. I mean, suddenly you’re forced to shoot the last scene of the movie first. And it’s hard for the actors because they don’t know who they are yet and they’re doing their death scene. As an actor myself, I was in Clive Barker’s movie “Nightbreed,” and the first thing we shoot was my character getting killed. And I said a typical actor thing. I said, “How can I know how to die when I haven’t lived yet?” So it is kind of a luxury. I think Rob can talk about that.

Pattinson: I agree. (Laughs) I don’t think I can add to that.

Q. You have both been very candid in interviews about the fact that you didn’t necessarily know how this novel would translate to film and what it meant to you. Do you have a different interpretation of the text now that you’re finished with the film?
Pattinson: Well, I like it. I don’t think that confusion is necessarily a bad thing. We’ve done hundreds of interviews now and I still find myself coming up with new things to say.

Cronenberg: Those statements that we made, which were very candid, can be misinterpreted as meaning we were inept, incompetent. But not at all. You know, I don’t do storyboards, for example. I don’t really know what I’m going to do at every set up and every shot. It’s all very spontaneous and of-the-moment, even what lens to use. That’s what we’re talking about. We don’t have it all mapped out. We’re trusting the script and trusting the dialogue that is all 100 percent Don DeLillo’s and taken from the novel directly. We know that if we respond directly to that . . . the movie will have its coherence.

Q. You just rang the opening bell at the New York Stock Exchange. What was that like? And what do you think the people there would think of this movie if they saw it?
Cronenberg:
 All through the halls of the stock exchange they have these monitors built into the walls, and they were all showing clips of “Cosmopolis.” All of the people there who were marshaling us were incredibly excited about the movie and really wanted to see it. And they were incredibly friendly and sweet, and I was suddenly thinking, “This is the wonderful, friendly face of capitalism. I don’t know why I’ve been fighting it for so long. I think I’m going to buy some stock.” [Pattinson laughs.] And the stock exchange is about marketing. To link the starting of the day with some product that’s being marketed was a no-brainer. And the fact that it might be rather ironic that we were opening the stock exchange; I don’t think it occurred to them.

Q. Mr. Pattinson, what did you think of the visit?
Pattinson:
 I’m so clueless about anything to do with that world. I was kind of just terrified that I was somehow going to mess it up. And also to see people’s enthusiasm. It’s so alien. Even people’s attitudes there. It seems so alien to me. I mean, I’ve met traders before, but in their own environment — everyone’s extremely happy, which is not what I expected. It doesn’t seem stressful at all. They were all excited about seeing who was going to ring the bell this morning. They had the American gymnastics team closing it that day. It looks like a really fun place to work.

Q. You guys seem like you like each other a lot. You seem so close during this publicity tour. I was thinking, when I looked at pictures from the stock exchange visit, that you actually look like relatives.

[Cronenberg and Pattinson laugh.]

Cronenberg: We get along pretty well and we were kind of wearing the same suit. They were Gucci suits that were connected with the movie — the character wears them — and so, we were Tweedledum and Tweedledee at that point.

Q. Mr. Cronenberg, where do you most enjoy promoting your films? You don’t have to say America.
Cronenberg:
 I have a huge enthusiastic fan base in France. My first films were horror films and genre films, and in France they never had any prejudice against them, whereas in North America, in the old days when I started especially, there was prejudice against them. They weren’t taken seriously as good cinema. So I suppose I feel more comfortable, weirdly enough, in France releasing a film. The level of discourse there is very intelligent, very intellectual, sometimes humorously so, but I like playing that game there.

Q. Mr. Pattinson, how have you taken to the Cronenberg fan base? I imagine that it’s strange to see “Twilight” fans with people who love David Cronenberg movies.
Pattinson:
 Absolutely. We were in London and we did a Q&A and it was two very diverse groups of people who suddenly came into contact with each other for I think probably the first time. And, I don’t know . . . David’s horror film fans . . . and general “Twilight” female fans . . . are actually quite a good pairing. I think both of them didn’t see anything in each other first of all, but they’re quite a good, odd couple. When you see a bearded guy with long hair, who absolutely will weep [for Cronenberg] . . . and then a “Twilight” fan who will weep at that, they actually look like a couple.

Q. Mr. Pattinson, I have to ask, in reference to all of the talk show hosts who are asking you personal questions right now: I’m always fascinated by the ability of celebrities to just disappear during a controversy. How do you do that? Is there a tunneling system? Where do you go to hide when you’re so watched?
Pattinson: There is a netherworld where celebrities go. They’re the only ones that have access to it. A mysterious little network of boroughs. (Giggles.)

The Boston Globe
Source: RPL

Rob talks Cosmopolis, Being an Actor and More - AP

NEW YORK - Robert Pattinson was nearing the end of shooting the last “Twilight” film, concluding a chapter of his life that had picked him out of near obscurity and was preparing to spit him out … where exactly? “Twilight” had made him extravagantly famous, but his next steps were entirely uncertain.

“Out of the blue,” he says, came the script for “Cosmopolis” from David Cronenberg, the revered Canadian director of psychological thrillers (“Videodrome,” “Eastern Promises”) that often pursue the spirit through the body. Pattinson, having never met or spoken to Cronenberg, did a little research: He looked him up on Rotten Tomatoes “and it was like 98 percent approval,” he says.

“It was like: OK, that’s my next job,” says Pattinson.

Pattinson now has the unenviable task of releasing his most ambitious movie, his most adult role, into a media storm that instinct would suggest should be run from like a pack of werewolves. Promoting “Cosmopolis” puts Pattinson in front of cameras and microphones for the first time since his “Twilight” co-star and girlfriend Kristen Stewart last month publicly apologized for having a tryst with director Rupert Sanders.

The awkward circumstance, he says, is “dissociated” from the film, and he’s thus far declined to use the attention to make any kind of public response to the scandal. Rather, he’s sought to deflect it to “Cosmopolis,” a film that, in an earlier interview before it premiered at the Cannes Film Festival, he said “changed the way I see myself.”

If Pattinson is understandably guarded about his private life, he’s refreshingly openhearted and humble about his anxieties as a young actor. At 26, Pattinson may be one of the most famous faces on the planet, but he’s still getting his bearings as an actor _ a profession, he says, he never pined for, fell into by chance and has always found uncomfortable. His unlikely trajectory began with “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire” and “Little Ashes,” in which he played Salvador Dali.

“Then I got `Twilight’ and it suddenly became a massively different world to navigate,” Pattinson said in a recent interview in New York. “Most people who get their big hit have figured out what their skills are, and I hadn’t, really.”
“Cosmopolis” is a radically different kind of film that will surely confuse not only the hordes of diehard “Twilight” fans who will line up on Friday to see it, but art house moviegoers, too. Pattinson himself has watched it four times to try to get his head around it.

The first movie adaptation of a Don DeLillo novel, “Cosmopolis” is about a sleek financier, Eric Parker (Pattinson), slowly making his way in the airless sanctuary of his white stretch limo across a traffic-jammed Manhattan with the simple goal of a haircut. But the journey, which includes visits with his new wife (Sarah Gadon), a prostitute (Juliette Binoche) and Occupy-like protesters (Mathieu Amalric), is a kind of willful unraveling for Parker, who dispassionately watches his fortune slide away on a bad bet on the Chinese yuan.

“He’s an egomaniac who wants to see some kind of spirituality in his egomania,” says Pattinson. “It’s kind of like how actors feel about themselves.”

Pattinson is in every scene of the film, which relies on his callow, hyper-literate performance to carry the movie through its limited setting and DeLillo’s heightened dialogue _ much of which Cronenberg transcribed verbatim from the novel. Though some reviews have found the film static and impenetrable (perhaps intended responses), most critics have praised Pattinson’s performance, with many citing it as proof that the heartthrob can indeed act.

The stylized language and atypical nature of the film made it a risky and intimidating choice for Pattinson.

“I couldn’t hear the voice of the character at all. There was nothing,” he says. “It was scary to say yes to something which you didn’t know what it was. I knew it was interesting, I knew there was something special but I had no idea how to do it or what I could add to it. But when you start saying no to Cronenberg because you don’t think it’s good enough, it’s a stupid decision to make.”

It’s clear that his “Twilight”-fueled celebrity weighs heavily on Pattinson, who says he knows people watch his films “through a cultural context.”

“Rob, he’s popular,” says Cronenberg with deadpan understatement.

“I couldn’t have cast Rob without `Twilight’ just as I couldn’t have cast Viggo (Mortensen) without `Lord of the Rings,’” says the director whose previous three films _ “A History of Violence,” “Eastern Promises,” “A Dangerous Method” _ starred Mortensen. “The fact that somebody who has clout is willing to do a movie that’s difficult is a gift to a director because you’re not only getting the right guy as an actor, but you’re getting financing interest and you get to make the movie. This is not an easy movie to get made.”

Pattinson seems energized by the freedom of choice in front of him following the final “Twilight” installment, which will be released in November. He’s lined up parts in gritty films far from blockbuster size: “Mission: Black List,” a military thriller, and “The Rover” by Australian director David Michod (“Animal Kingdom”), a role he says he fought for more than any before.

Embarking on “Cosmopolis” appears to have been a process of letting go for Pattinson _ of self-awareness, of worry, of fear. Asked if he now feels certain he’s an actor, he quickly replies, “No.”

“As soon as you start existing in a certain world, you feel like you have tremendous amount of baggage all the time,” he says. “You get stuck in this rut where you want people to think you’re something else, but you’re too scared to do what that is to actually be the other person.

“Then you get a gift like this movie where it’s way easier than I thought it was,”
 he says. “You just do it. It doesn’t really matter if you fail.”

Associated Press - posted by various outlets - via The Washington Times
Source: RPL

Great News For Robert Pattinson & David Cronenberg As The Weeke...

UPDATE: Added Revised estimate (still great news) & some more figures from Boxofficemojo
Something that I'm sure will put a smile on David Cronenberg and Robert Pattinson's face are the weekend estimates for "Cosmopolis"

Check out this tweet from Boxoffice 

Photobucket

Also ERCboxoffice tweeted that "Cosmopolis" had the best theatre average of all films in release! How great is that?

Some more figures via Boxofficemojo

Photobucket
Source: Robsessed

Robert Pattinson Will NOT Be Attending This Years Twi-Tour In LA

According to the twilightconvention.com website Robert Pattinson Will NOT Be Attending The Twi-Tour In LA this year.
Check it out below for more info.
(FYI this is the convention they are talking about NOT the premiere.)

Photobucket

From twilightconvention.com

They say all good things must come to an end and so it is with our three year long The Twilight Saga: Official Convention Tour which has visited cities across The United States and Canada. Along the way we've met tens of thousands of fantastic fellow fans and it has been a particular joy celebrating the unprecedented success of the films and novels and working with so many talented and gracious stars. The passion and dedication of Twilight fandom has been amazing and we're out to throw one last giant convention, a final gathering to see old friends that have made up the Twilight family.

Although Rob, Kristen and Taylor will not be with us this time out
 we will have a super line-up of other Twilight stars and the weekend will be filled with special events, movie prop and costume displays, contests, panels, auctions, parties, exclusive merchandise, music and much more, including some surprises!

The last chapter in the film series, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 opens in America on November 16th, just a few weeks after the convention. So with excitement and anticipation in the air we invite YOU to be part of the fun…. make your plans to be with us NOW! for the wrap-up event of "The Tour!"

Robert Pattinson's manager, Nick Frenkel, clarifies report on Twico...

Nick...always watching...always listening...

Photobucket

We mentioned HERE that Rob would not be attending the final Twilight convention in Los Angeles this fall. However, Rob's manager nonpublicist-publicist, Nick, had more to add.

Excerpt from The Hollywood Reporter:
According to Pattinson's manager Nicholas Frenkel, the truth is that "We have not canceled any confirmed professional appearances for Robert. Specifically, he was never invited or set to attend these events."
Wonder if Nick knew it was a competition between him, Dean and Stephanie on 44DoR today? Wanted to edge them out and beat them by reminding fandom he works hard for Rob. ;)

Rob's next scheduled appearance? Jimmy Kimmel this Wednesday! PromoRob's not done with us yet. :))

Robert Pattinson and David Cronenberg Interview with AZ Central   

From AZ Central

The phone call began with Pattinson and Cronenberg laughing.

Question: Sounds like you two aren’t having any trouble having fun.

Pattinson: We rollick and frolic. We have no problem.

Q: And Robert, you haven’t been in the news enough lately.

Pattinson: Heh.

Q: Your character is a disconnected guy trying to connect. Or maybe it’s the other way around. How do you play that?

Pattinson: I think he’s just very, very self-obsessed. It’s going deeper and deeper into self-obsession until it kind of implodes. It’s also just the words. Everything is done for me. I sort of instinctively felt like I knew what to do from the beginning because the script was so good.

Q: Is it tricky to direct someone having a prostate exam (as Packer does in the film)?

Cronenberg: For me? Oh, no problem.

Q: Robert, I assume you’re rich. But Packer is incredibly rich. Is there a freedom to that?

A: I think it’s actually quite a difficult way to live. I’ve met a few people who have fictional money (laughing). If you have any interest in the world, it’s very difficult to see. Your eyes are totally different to most people. Money really does change people. You have to make an effort to be normal, I think.

Q: Did you go through that when you became successful?

Pattinson: It’s different. Dealing with fame is different. Everyone gets stuff thrown at them in life, and you have to figure out how to deal with it.

Q: There’s a ton of publicity surrounding you now, good and bad. Presumably you’re in a bubble while shooting the film, so not as many people are keeping up.

Cronenberg: In fact, a lot of the “Twilight” fans were keeping up. They made websites, and they had spy-cams. But all of that was really quite sweet. It was quite gentle and quite affectionate, and you had these young girls who had never read anything but “Harry Potter” and “Twilight” before (but) were reading “Cosmopolis,” they were reading Don DeLillo and writing about it on their blogs.

Q: Robert, “Twilight” is winding down. What has that been like?

Pattinson: Pretty crazy (laughing). No one ever believes me, but no one involved with the first movie had any idea that it was going to turn out to be what it was going to be. We didn’t even know if we were going to make the sequels. You go on this runaway train that I was entirely unprepared for. And at the same time, I was kind of figuring out whether I wanted to be an actor or not, which is kind of interesting. You’re in your 20s, you’re trying to figure out what you want to do with your life.

Q: What about the fame aspect of it? Isn’t that kind of a weird way of life? You can’t even walk across the street without someone taking a picture.

Pattinson: Yeah. It’s just how you deal with it. Everyone has to figure out how they want to live. It’s a challenge.

Cronenberg: I can say that Rob was definitely able to walk across the street in Toronto (where “Cosmopolis” was shot) and no one noticed. And he could go to a bar and he could go to a restaurant. Really, part of it has to do with where you are and how much you’re publicizing yourself. If you’re Lindsay Lohan and you’re making sure that everybody knows where you are at all times, then you know what the consequences will be. But if somebody doesn’t want that, there are ways you can do that.

Source Via

Great Cosmopolis Review By HitFix   

From HitFix

“Cosmopolis” seems to be a perfect fit for Cronenberg, and my experience with the film was complicated a bit by the screening room where I saw it.  There was no air conditioning, and it was mid-afternoon during the recent crazy heat here in LA.  The screening room was completely full, every seat taken, and by the middle of the film, I was so hot I felt like I was slow-motion-fainting.  Awful.  And with a film that’s designed to make you uncomfortable anyway, my first reaction was to recoil.

I walked away blaming the movie, but thinking it over for the last week or so, I can’t get it out of my head.  It’s exquisitely made, carefully controlled, a simmering look into the dead empty eyes of Eric Packer (Robert Pattinson) as Rome burns around him.  Based on a novel by Don DeLillo, it’s all character, all mood, a slow surreal ride through Manhattan during a meltdown that seems to have been caused, in part, by his own hubris, and Pattinson is fascinating in the role.  He seems to constantly be shifting through a complicated but subterranean inner implosion, pieces of himself shutting down at random, little by little.  His stated goal for the day is simple enough.  He wants a haircut.  Never mind that the entire city seems to be on high alert thanks to the visit of a President and construction and protests and traffic and madmen and giant rats and angry wives and dirty lovers, all complications thrown in the path of Packer as he attempts to make his way across this tiny island, locked inside his sterile bubble.

I do not think I’m out of line when I observe that Robert Pattinson is from outer space.  Part of what makes him so compelling in the film is that whatever weirdness Cronenberg throws at him, he rolls with it, staring out of that blank passive face with furious eyes.  People race in and out of his personal orbit.  He gets a physical from a doctor inside the cab at one point, carrying on a conversation while this guy’s got half his arm inside him, and the way Pattinson plays that scene is impressive.  On the whole, Pattinson delivers in this difficult role, and I can’t picture anyone else tuning in more completely to what Cronenberg has done here.

It helps that Pattinson interacts with truly great performances from the supporting cast.  Juliette Binoche shows up to have some sex, drink some booze, and lay some ugly truth on Pattinson’s character.  Sarah Gadon is Packer’s wife, newly married and already looking for a way out, away from this shark-eyed and alien “other” who she has barely gotten to know as a husband.  Jay Baruchel and Kevin Durand both do sharp and specific work in small roles here, and there’s a wonderful but oh-so-short appearance by Samantha Morton as well.  Paul Giamatti almost steals the film in the last ten minutes, and it’s a testament to how good Pattinson is in the film that he stands there and refuses to let Giamatti run away with it.  He gives as good as he gets.  Giamatti is great, giving voice to all the frustration and powerlessness of everyone caught up in these forces at work in the modern world, these soft little boys dressed up in expensive suits, untouchable in their coffins on wheels.  Giamatti is determined to break through the expressionless exterior of Packer to find the soft and vulnerable heart, and once he does, he plans to rip it out.

Read the rest of the review here

Source: ToR

Great read: More than just ‘Twilight’: Robert Pattinson gains broader box office chops with ‘Cosmopolis’   

Great read from Inside Movies:

Robert Pattinson, after years of puckering his sparkling vampire lips and gaining female fans with every perky strand of his swoopy hair in the Twilight films, has finally graduated with alumni cred at the box office, showing he has what it takes to draw in moviegoers beyond the romantic realm of blood-lusty (and just lusty) Edward and Bella.

Pattinson’s whoozy, philosophy-laden pairing with director David Cronenberg, Cosmopolis, racked up a solid $70,339 in three theaters this past Friday through Sunday, when it opened in tightly limited release domestically, according to box office tracker Hollywood.com. The film, about Pattinson as a disillusioned, overly sexed billionaire making his way across Manhattan to get a haircut, has made roughly $266,900 in North America, including theatrical screenings in Canada. Next weekend the film jumps into nationwide limited release in 60 theaters across the U.S., said Dylan Wiley, vice president of theatrical marketing and distribution for the movie’s distributor Entertainment One Films U.S.

“Rob, with this performance, has shown there is more to him than just Twilight,” Wiley tells EW. “This is a very serious actor playing a very serious role with a very serious filmmaker.”

Others agree – somewhat.

Read more after the jump!

While EW’s review — similar to other critical takes — panned the film itself as flat and robotic, it noted that Pattinson delivers his purposely emotionless role with “rhythmic confidence.” The New York Times said Pattinson “made a fine member of the Cronenbergian walking dead, with a glacial, blank beauty.”

Last year’s traveling circus romance Water for Elephants with Pattinson and blondie Reese Witherspoon ranked No. 3 at the box office in more than 2,800 theaters its opening weekend, making $16.8 million at the box office, a far cry from the latest Twilight installment, last year’sThe Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1, which reaped $138 million during its opening weekend, in 4,061 theaters. But Pattinson didn’t fully carry Water for Elephants — Witherspoon did.

In Cosmopolis, he’s the main star, going toe-to-toe with the likes of heavy hitters Paul Giamatti and Juliette Binoche, with the oeuvre of Cronenberg (The Naked LunchEastern PromisesA Dangerous Method) pounding behind him. As Wiley notes, Pattinson’s also in every single scene.

Plus his theater-going fans are growing older. That shrieking TwiHard tween with her tattered copy of Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight book in hand at 2008’s first film premiere? She’s older now, and maybe, just maybe, her tastes have skewed as well.

“The theatrical audience in general ages up every year. When you think about Rob’s fans, and Twilight’s fans, you think of 13-year-old girls. But Rob’s fans now are five years older,” says Wiley.

Box office experts also see some hope in Pattinson, a relatively shy, musically inclined intellectual sort, compared to other Twilight graduates (Taylor Lautner, anyone?).

“Perhaps of all the Twilight folks, he’s the one, with this movie, who has gained credibility,” says Paul Dergarabedian, president of the box office division of Hollywood.com. “His personal life has not been great, but his acting life is just beginning. I think Pattinson has a lot of gravitas, and that translates on screen.”

Mostly, to straddle the hurdles of both mega movie franchise fame and artsy indie flick gusto at the box office, he needs guys to go out and watch him too, not just women.

That may or may not happen with upcoming films such as the Werner Herzog-directed Queen of the Desert, in which he’ll play T.E. Lawrence — Lawrence of Arabia — alongside Naomi Watts. There’s always The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2, the franchise’s fifth and last installment, set to premiere in November.

“The challenge for Pattinson is winning over the male fans, who stayed away from the Twilight films,” says Dergarabedian. “I think he can do it… If he were to work with a [Quentin] Tarantino or [Steven] Spielberg, who have that kind of credibility themselves, he’ll gain credibility. He’s still pretty young, and has time to build his career. He may be able to bounce between the big budget films and independently minded films. Look at Jeremy Renner.”

Source | via RobPattzNews

Source: ToR

Adorable New/Old Robert Pattinson Comic Con Portraits

SO handsome

Photobucket

And Adorable

Photobucket

Click for Larger

Source

Robert Pattinson Comic Con Portraits (Now UHQ)

We had these gorgeous Robert Pattinson Comic Con Portraits before but now they're in UHQ and you know what we always say? Bigger is better.

Photobucket

Lots Of UHQ's After The Cut 

Click for UHQ

Source

New/Old Interview with Robert Pattinson from UK Cosmopolis Press Ju...

New/Old Interview with Robert Pattinson from UK Cosmopolis Press Junket

Photobucket

This was from UK promo in June that we missed. Thoughtful interview from our favorite guy :) Also, we posted there review of the film HERE under our Cannes reviews of Cosmopolis.
Robert Pattinson is magnetic as Eric Packer, slick, jaded 26-year-old CEO of Packer Capital who decides to take a fleet of Limousines across New York City in search of a haircut. This is his best performance to date by some considerable margin."
From Little White Lies:
Written-off Robert Pattinson as just another fleeting tween sensation? Then listen up. Because Cosmopolis, David Cronenberg's smart adaptation of Don DeLillo's futurist novel, is about to announce the 26-year-old Brit's true arrival. LWLies met up with Pattinson recently to chat about the making of Cosmopolis and why he'll always be up for a challenge. 

LWLies: We were in Cannes when Cosmopolis first screened. How was that whole experience for you? 

Pattinson: It was kind of terrifying, but mainly because I've never been to a premiere with potentially a hostile audience. It's a film which could potentially be quite divisive because it's quite wordy and in Cannes there's the added complexity with the language barrier. I remember sitting there and looking around at all these blank faces. No one was laughing. I genuinely thought it was going to get booed. I was so grateful it wasn't savaged.

The whole Cannes booing thing is kind of a carnival, you can't take it too seriously. 

I know, I know. But then David [Cronenberg] was telling me about when Crash screened and people were screaming in the audience. Like, actually going wild during the movie. And I was speaking to Gaspar Noé the other day and he was saying that with Irreversible everyone was yelling 'How would you like it?!' and all this nonsense. He was sitting next to the guy who plays the rapist [Jo Prestia] thinking, 'I'm going to get killed after this'.

Did it put you at ease being in David's company? 

Yeah, totally. He was really relaxed. The thing is, normally when you go to a premiere you don't often stay for the whole movie, but in Cannes you sit through it wondering if you're going to get clapped or booed afterwards. It's a pretty terrifying experience and a strange environment to watch a film in. But I'd seen the film before Cannes and I knew I loved it, which is a pretty rare thing for me because I don't normally like the stuff I'm in. (Tink: I love all his stuff. Rob's choices never fail to intrigue.)

Was Cosmopolis something you chased or were you approached? 

I read the script about a year before we made it. Someone sent it to me on the basis that it was just a really well-written script. I really liked it then but we didn't act on it right away because initially Colin Farrell had been cast, but he dropped out and suddenly I was in a position to go for it. (Tink: Thank the gods!)

What was it like working in an environment where you're in a small closed set, in the back of a limo for most of the film, and you only share a few minutes of screentime with the other actors? 

I worked with everyone for about two or three days, but actually the further we got into the shoot the less time the scenes took. So where the early scene with Jay Baruchel took, like, three or maybe four days, a the others were generally much shorter. After two weeks of shooting a movie you normally just relax into the routine of the work, but with Cosmopolis we had big names coming in every few days shooting their scenes and then going. It really keeps you on your toes and in many ways it's like shooting loads of different, or smaller movies. But you get used to it and actually you get quite comfortable because you're so familiar with the set.

Was it difficult having David direct you remotely from outside the limo? 

It was a little odd a first. But you know I did this Harry Potter movie where we filmed a lot underwater, so I was kind of experienced in not having the director standing next to you. It was similar in some ways to that because you can't see anything apart from what's inside the limo and a camera that's mounted on this remote-controlled crane. David always had the camera positioned incredibly close to your face as well, with a really wide lens on it. So you have a totally different relationship with the camera because normally you're trying to communicate with the guy behind the camera, you ignore the camera. Here you're doing everything for the camera, but it's like no one's watching, like no one's ever going to see it. It's like you're close friends with this little machine.

Do you see this as a significant juncture in your career? 

Not really because the film is so obscure. It's not like everyone's going to get it. But yeah, it's definitely a good step in terms of my career and where I'd like to end up. (Tink: It was a fantastic step in his career.)

Having done a lot of mainstream films are smaller, more out-there films now more appealing to you? 

Um, I mean... Sometimes. But it's not like I went out looking for the highest risk project. To be honest what attracted me was working with David and the quality of the writing, which was just insane compared to some of the garbage I'd been reading around the time. I'd never read any Don DeLillo before, so it was a bit of an eye-opener. But I'm not looking for obscurities the whole time. The movies I've signed on to do after this aren't quite as odd as this but they're certainly artistically ambitious. (Tink: They certainly are and we can't wait to see them!) 

So few actors ever receive the level of exposure you have right now, do you feel a pressure to try to maintain that by taking on bigger roles? 

I don't really know. If I could stay at a level where I was consistently working then I'd be happy. But I can't predict the way the industry is going to go. Things change so quickly, there are so many people who were huge a few years ago and now can't even get a film made. Right now people seem to care about me, but I'm sure that won't last. (Tink: GAH. I'm believing it'll last forever, right DR??) Frankly I find it all a bit absurd. I'm just trying to do as much interesting stuff as I can for as long as I can.

What do you love about movies? 

I think it's the easiest was to educate people about, like, a million things. I remember watching Godard movies when I was younger and being introduced to Henry Miller and from there discovering Tom Waits and suddenly you've learned so much. Cool movies taught me so much more than books in school ever did. I didn't even realise I was interested in working in movies when I was watching them when I was younger. Now I can't imagine doing anything else. (Tink: I'm grateful he shares his talent with such a wide audience.) 

Via: Those British Boys

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service