The Twilight Saga

I've been working on this fan fiction for about a month I suppose and I've been posting it on Fan Fiction.Net. It's called The Twilight Saga - Solar Flare. It's basically the story of what would have happened if Jacob and Bella had kissed in New Moon without that phone call interrupting them. It's the story of what would happen if Jacob and Edward's roles were reversed. I've already got 3 chapters made and I'm working on chapter 4 now. I thought I might as well post them here as well.

The story begins right when they're about to kiss.

1. Promise

BELLA SWAN

"Bella," Jacob whispered.

I was frozen.

No! I hadn't made this decision yet. I didn't know if I could do this, and now I was out of time to think. But I would have been a fool if I thought rejecting him now would have no consequences.

Maybe it would feel nice. Maybe it wouldn't feel like a betrayal. True love was forever lost, so who was I betraying? Only myself.

Keeping his eyes on mine, Jacob began to bend his face toward me. The closer he got, the more unsure I became. Was I really going to do this? How badly would this end up? Would this end badly? He held my face still and closed his eyes as his lips met mine, my eyes shut as well, a little too tight.

As his mouth had discovered my passive resistance, he moved his right hand to the back of my head and his left gently around my waist, pulling me closer now. The closer I became, the more my lips would resist. I wasn't trying to pull away, but wouldn't respond back, I couldn't. Jacob could see this now, he started to rub the back of neck trying to get a response out of me; I just couldn't.

That's when Jacob stopped, his right hand slowly releasing my neck, his left unwrapping around my waist, and his lips fading away. I didn't need to look at Jacob to see the hurt, I could feel it, and his pain was my pain. Something in me broke free just then and I couldn't hold it back. My hands reacted before I could realize it, my left arm wrapping around his waist, my right hand grabbing the back of his head, pulling him closer to me now. Just as I could feel his pain, I could feel his joy now too. Jacob responded almost instantly; he wrapped his arms around me and began kissing me back, his warm lips gentle. I couldn't tell how long we were kissing, it felt like forever, and I didn't want it to stop.

That's when it hit me; I'd been wrong all this time, I'd been lying to myself. Jacob was more than just my friend, he was more than someone I could rely on to make me feel better. I knew I needed him more than I needed most people, but I had no idea just how much until now. I've never felt happier before, after being so abnormal for so long, it's like a breath of air after being underwater for hours. The hole in my chest is completely gone now, I didn't think it were possible, but Jacob cured everything. He is everything to me, I was in love with him. I'd loved him all this time, but I was too afraid to get it through my thick skull. I was too afraid of betrayal, too afraid of him. I wonder if I'll ever hear his voice again, not that it mattered anymore.

Suddenly I felt Jacob stiffen up, he jerked away from me and released his arms. I opened my eyes, ready to pull him back, but he was shaking again. The expression on his face was half angry and half horrified.

He jetted for the front door, grabbing the handle with a little too much force. I stumbled after him with my arm out in front of me.

"No!" I shouted. It was a reflex.

Jacob stopped then, releasing the handle. He looked at me distraught, still standing right next to the door. He took a quick glance at the door handle and back at me, like he was deciding something. I didn't want him to leave, now more than ever. Did he have to leave now? If he did leave, would I go with him? What about Alice?

Jacob turned his entire body in my direction. He slowly walked toward me, wrapped his one arm around my waist, and positioned himself in front of me, as if trying to protect me.

Protect me from what, was Victoria nearby? Did she get past Embry and Jared? Was she attracted her by Alice? That's when it hit me, Alice, of course. Alice came through the back door and walked gracefully into the kitchen, resting her arms onto the kitchen table. Jacob backed us away toward the sink, he was shaking again and his teeth were clenched. Alice's face did not look approving either.

"I see you two get along well," Alice judged, staring directly at Jacob.

I nodded gently, a little embarrassed. Jacob pulled me closer to him.

"Alice this is Jacob. Jacob, Alice," I said, blushing now.

Jacob stabbed me a disgusted look and growled. Alice rolled her eyes at me.

"Bella, I think it's time I left."

Jacob gave a brief sigh of relief, while still holding me tight.

"No!" I shouted. Jacob stabbed another look at me, a look of betrayal.

"Really though, Bella, I think it's time I left. If Edward finds out I'm here…" Alice explained, looking a bit nervous, "He can get really angry sometimes."

I flinched a little and Jacob growled again.

"Do you have to go now? Just a few more weeks, please?" I begged.

"I'm really sorry Bella, but it has to be tonight," She said, looking truly sorry.

"Tonight. Good," Jacob muttered under his breath. Alice seemed to hear that and glared at him again. She looked back at me, suddenly cheerful.

"How about we spend the entire day doing whatever you want together. We could drive around, catch a movie, go to the mall, I'll buy you whatever you want. We won't separate for a second," She said, smiling wide.

I nodded sadly. "Yeah, that sounds good."

"You don't look very happy."

"No, I am. Really."

Alice pouted. "It's the best I can do. All the clothes you want, on me."

Jacob's shaking began to increase, his teeth clenched, and his eyes shut tight. I embraced him, it was almost instinctual.

"Jake, please. Calm," I whispered.

"Right…calm," He whispered back, his body going stiff now with only his hands shaking.

"We can go as soon as you put the dog out," Alice said critically. Jacob began to shake again.

"Calm," I reminded. His shaking only slowed down this time. He released me and started to back away.

"Don't worry, leech. I was just going," He hissed. He looked at me, his expression broken, "Bye, Bella."

Jacob began to walk towards the front door. I wrapped me arms around him, trying to get him to stop. "No, please. Stay. Please," I begged.

Jacob turned to look at me. "Bella, I have to go. I was only supposed to come here and get information. I have to report back."

My face fell, of course he was right. He was a werewolf, she was a vampire, and Jacob had responsibilities. But I didn't want to let him go, it was either go with Jacob and abandon Alice or go with Alice and leave Jacob betrayed. Stupid conflict. Why couldn't they just get along?

"Can't you just tell Embry and Jared, and then come back?" I insisted.

Jacob made a disgusted sound. "I don't think so, Bella. Besides, we've been neglecting treaty lines enough as it is."

Alice sighed. "Well, I'm the only Cullen here. So I guess if I say it's okay for now, than there shouldn't be a problem. For now." She grumbled.

My face lit up giving Alice a look of thanks. Jacob looked at her half angry, half confused, and back at me.

"You seriously want me around her? Remember what I said earlier, Bella."

I hadn't forgotten. This could end badly, very badly. By the end of the day, both of them might end up… I couldn't even think about it. I'm not going to let my selfishness hurt them both. I had to choose.

Before I could say a thing, Jacob wiped a tear from my eye. I was crying, I hadn't realized. He stood there for a few seconds, once again distraught. He then grabbed my arms and freed himself from my embrace. He stomped out the front, slamming the door behind him. My legs started to shake.

Alice made her way next to me and put her arm around my shoulder. "Sorry." She mouthed the word.

I rested my cheek on her head trying to fight back the tears that were welling up. This was for the best, right? I can manage to be away from Jacob for today, couldn't I? Just then, Alice groaned and released her arm from around me, folding them over her chest.

"Great. Just wonderful," She said with heavy sarcasm.

"What? What's wrong?" I asked, my voice breaking.

"The dog's tagging along."

I gasped, my eyes widened at the thought. I then heard a shout coming from outside, followed by angry and irritated voices. Were they arguing? My eyes were locked on the front door now. After a minute, I heard the sound of an engine starting up, followed by the squeal of the tires driving off, all a little too quickly. My eyes were still locked onto the door, my heart was racing.

The door slowly opened and Jacob came through. He looked at me and smiled, I smiled back wiping the tears that had escaped my efforts. Jacob glared at Alice, eyes very distrustful. Alice stared back at him with the same eyes.

"You better watch yourself," Jacob warned.

"Oh please, I should be saying that to you." Alice turned toward me, changing her expression to cheerful again. "So, where to first?"

"Really, you should decide. I'm sure you have better ideas than me."

"Oh, but I'm doing this for you."

"I think your last day here," I grimaced at the words, "Should be exactly what you want."

"Hmm…" Alice looked far off in concentration. Jacob put his arm around me again and backed away from Alice.

"It's okay," I whispered to him.

"Don't wanna take any chances," He whispered back through his teeth.

Alice groaned loudly, suddenly very irritated. She glared at Jacob.

"This would be so much easier if I could see our plans and go by those." She put extra emphasis on 'see'.

Jacob raised one eyebrow in confusion, but his face quickly lightened into one of understanding. He laughed once mockingly. "What? The future to blurry for you?"

Alice's mouth fell open for a split second, she gave me an accusing look. I let my head fall, looking up at her with apologetic eyes.

Alice sighed. "Yes, because you're around."

Jacob's eyes widened in surprise. "You can't see the future when I'm around?" That's great!"

Alice let a growl escape her teeth. I changed the subject. "Why don't we go see a movie first? Sound like a plan?"

"Sure," Alice agreed, "As long as we take Carlisle's car."

"Deal."

Alice headed out the front door leaving it wide open. Jacob hesitated to move, I tried nudging him with my elbow, no effect. Alice came back into view, seeing her clearly through the open door, she gave Jacob a mocking smile.

"Scared?" She called back.

Jacob rolled his eyes, but it seemed to do the trick. Jacob kept his arm securely around me and headed out the door slowly. Alice had already gotten in the driver's seat and the car door to the backseats was already open. Alice must have guessed that we'd want to sit together. Jacob walked up to the car at the same pace and hesitantly got in with me alongside him. I closed the door.

"Ugh, it stinks," Jacob groaned silently.

Alice turned the keys in the ignition and drove off immediately. Alice drove fast, almost as fast as Edward did; to think that I was frightened by the speed of the motorcycles. Jacob was very restless the whole way. He fidgeted, shifting his body from side to side and re-adjusted his arm around me. This was ridiculous, the point of this was to have fun with Alice, have fun while she's still here. How are we suppose to have fun when she and Jacob will be at each other's throats the whole time, it defeats the purpose. Maybe this is what I deserve, for being so selfish.

We were almost there, took no time at all, Jacob groaned and started staring at the car floor. He then, to my surprise, started to laugh.

"I cannot believe I'm doing this," Jacob laughed at himself, "Not only am I tagging along for your girl time, but with a bloodsucker as well. I've really lost it."

I hung my head down, slightly turning to look at his face. I was about to apologize, but Alice caught me off guard.

"We're here!" Alice sang, "So, what're we going to see?"

My head snapped up at her voice, that was a good question. I suggested the movies, but had no idea what to go see. I just wanted to get out of the house before Alice and Jake killed each other. My past experiences going to the movies were not entirely pleasant ones, I hoped that this wouldn't be the worst.

Alice waited for my answer; I grimaced at having to be the one to decide. Jacob raised his head and sighed.

"I hear Tomorrow and Forever's pretty popular," He suggested, looking directly at me, ignoring Alice.

I nodded my head, eager to agree, I was up for anything. Then it came back to me, I remember I'd turned down this movie before, back when Mike asked me. It was back when I was too broken to handle a romance. How would I feel now? I truly believe that the hole in my chest is somewhat gone at least, plus I have Jacob and Alice, for the moment. Maybe it won't be so bad.

"Bella," Alice looked at me doubtfully, "Is that what you want?"

"Yeah, sure."

"All right."

Alice got out and opened the door on my side. She reached out and took my hand, a warm smile lit up her face. Jacob, with his arm still securely around my waist, pulled me back. Alice grabbed my hand again and yanked, while Jacob firmly resisted. It was a brief match of tug-of-war with me as the rope, both competitors glaring each other down.

"Jake!" I snapped at him.

Jacob grimaced but gave up, releasing me hesitantly. Alice yanked me from my seat, causing me to stumble, but she caught me before I could cause any damage to myself.

"Sorry," She apologized, "Forgot how fragile you were."

"You sound like Edward."

Jacob got out on his side and made his way next to me, Alice to my right and Jacob to my left. We headed toward the theater; Alice bought two tickets for herself and me, leaving Jacob to pay for his own.

There weren't that many people in the theater, I'm assuming everyone had seen the movie already. It had been out for a while, this might be it's last week in theaters. We sat down, Alice to my right and Jacob to my left like before. I kept my eyes on them both cautiously; they wouldn't fight in here would they?

Alice suddenly started giggling, I looked up at the screen and a man was coming up with every excuse in the book to keep from getting fired. I was so occupied with watching Alice and Jake that I hadn't realized that the movie started already, for who knows how long.

I actually began to watch now; the man that got fired meets a rich woman who enjoys working with children. They fall in love and the man begins to help out with the children too, while still jobless. The man is secretly involved in some shady business involving loans and dangerous favors. The woman finds out what he's up to and the man confesses all that he's done, which in turn gets the woman involved.

So far the movie was pretty good; I wasn't feeling any pain from what I've seen up until now. Unfortunately, I'd spoken too soon. The man felt terrible for burdening the woman in his problems and decides to leave her.

I winced at the words "I don't want you to come." The man had spoken the same words as his. My head sank, I didn't want to look up at the screen anymore, I felt tense.

Jacob saw this; he put his arm around my shoulder and leaned his head against mine. I rested my head on his shoulder and shifted closer to him. Normally, something like this would set me off. I could see myself breaking into tears, screaming, and running out of the theater after witnessing this. But Jacob made everything so much better, he was my own personal sun again, but something else radiated from him besides the usual happiness and comfort. Love.

I let out a deep sigh of relief and looked up at the screen. Apparently I had missed a lot; the man was already begging the woman to take him back, saying that they can work something out as long as they're together. The woman all too happily takes him back and they agree to start a new life together somewhere far away.

The credits started rolling and the lights came back on. Alice eagerly got up and started toward the exit, Jacob and I followed.

Back in the car, Alice started the engine immediately but left it in park for a few minutes.

"Mmm, cliché ending," Alice said, looking thoughtful. Jacob nodded his head, looking past Alice.

"Yeah," Jacob looked at me now, "It's better than that other movie you took me to, though."

He laughed and I joined in; comparing it to Tomorrow and Forever just makes Crosshairs seem even more ridiculous. Alice looked back at me, a wide smile across her face.

"Shopping now?" Alice asked, delighted. I rolled my eyes.

"Of course, Alice."

"I'll make sure you have the most beautiful clothes in the store."

"Don't overdo it."

Alice pouted; she started driving straight for the mall which wasn't far from the movie theater at all. It took only two minutes to get there.

I told her not to overdo it, but in the end she ignored me. We went to every clothing store the mall had to offer, buying at least three things from each one. Every so often Alice would find something that she wanted for herself and get me the same one in my size. Jacob was enjoying the ordeal even less than I was; Alice was making him carry all the clothes. I could tell Jake was trying very hard not to lose his temper, I had to tell Alice to ease up a little. Alice was having the time of her life however, at least she was happy.

By the time we were done, it was dark out. The bright headlights of cars were passing by, avoiding people as they walked out of the mall and varies other stores around us.

"Well, I'd better get you home," Alice reminded.

I nodded slowly, knowing what will happen afterwards. The drive home felt longer, either Alice wasn't driving as fast as before or I was just trying to cling onto this moment for as long as I could.

Charlie wasn't there when we walked in. He must still be at the Clearwater's, probably doing whatever he can to help out. I felt bad that I wasn't there too, felt even worse that I was keeping Jacob away. I sat down on the sofa and Jacob joined me. Alice was arranging the clothes she bought in one pile and the clothes for me in another on the kitchen table. In a flash, she darted upstairs and my new clothes disappeared. The next second she was back, looking as cheerful as before.

"Hope you don't mind, but I'm sure you'll find your new beautiful clothes in perfect order," Alice said confidently.

"It's fine."

Alice started to stare off into the distance, her expression lost. Jacob shifted himself closer to me in a protective position. Alice let out a gasp, her cheerful expression didn't return.

"It's time for me to go."

I couldn't speak, I just let my head fall.

"I'm sorry Bella, but it's time. I can't stay any longer."

I just nodded. I was starting to feel the pain come back to me.

"Come on." Alice grabbed my hand and lifted me off the sofa. She led me outside to her car, Jacob followed quickly.

She let go of my hand to give me a hug. Her hard cold skin felt strangely soft and gentle when her arms wrapped around me. The wind blew her sweet clean scent toward me, I'd remember it for a while. I embraced her back, trying very hard to fight back tears. It seemed to last for a lifetime.

"Bye Bella," She said quietly in my ear, "I promise I'll be back."

"Promise?"

She nodded, "Promise."

Tags: alternate, bella, ending, fan, fiction, flare, jacob, saga, solar, twilight

Views: 2689

Replies to This Discussion

I just read the title :shock:... I hope it's not what I think it is..
:$;Mah bad, was a great chapter duddee!
Ooooh.. Bella's bad ***.
I love it how you still explain everything SM explained in Eclipse. You're really good!
Thanx! :3

6. Imprinting (Part 2 of 2)

BELLA SWAN

The next morning, things went as they always did. I took a quite shower, put on the clothes I'd prepared, had a quite bowl of cereal, and headed out. Yesterday, Jacob had time to surprise me with a ride to school on his bike, but today it was the usual truck. At school, talk about the Cullens seemed to die down a little bit, but not nearly enough to put me at ease. I decided not to look for them anymore; it was a waste of time and only made me feel worse. At lunch, I decided to sit by myself at a table to the far right corner of the cafeteria. My friends all looked at me every so often with concern clearly in their eyes. I felt bad that they were worrying about me and I knew they probably would make sure not to say anything about the Cullens, but I thought it was best to play it safe. I just hope they didn't think I was going through another zombie phase.

Once school was finally over, I walked outside to see Jacob leaning on my rusty truck. My mouth popped open when I saw that he was wearing his usual wolf attire, nothing but a pair of cut-off jeans. I looked around, not able to control my expression when I saw that almost every girl's eyes were on him. Some were smiling, some whispering to each other, and the look on Jacob's face told me he wasn't too fond of the attention. I stomped over to him, looking him critically in the eyes. He grimaced at my arrival.

"Would you mind explaining this?" I demanded, gesturing my hand toward his bare chest.

"Uh, w-well," he stuttered while scratching the back of his head, "Sam got us out of school early today. He picked up an unfamiliar scent a little ways away from the border line."

"What? Was it Victoria?"

"I think it was just a false alarm."

"Are you sure?"

"Well, it's either that or one of the Cullens trying to break the treaty."

I shook my head. "They wouldn't do that."

"I'm not so sure." He then muttered something that I couldn't make out.

"They're better than that." My head began to fall. "They're good at keeping away."

"Anyway," he said, eager to return the subject to what I originally asked, "We were already close to your school; so I figured it'd be easier just to come here. Plus, we're going for a run later anyway. I mean, going home to put on more clothes and coming all the way back here, just to go back and take them off again, is a bit of a pain."

"Couldn't you have just gone home and waited for me there? I can drive myself."

"Yeah, but I like picking you up. You like it too. Besides, wouldn't you get worried if I suddenly wasn't here?"

"Yeah, you're right. It's just, I'd rather not have dozens of girls ogle my boyfriend, thank you."

He grinned wide, obviously pleased at my show of protection and jealousy.

My face turned red. "Lose the stupid grin."

"Sure, sure," he chuckled. The grin still wasn't gone.

I opened the door to the driver's seat, handed Jacob the keys, and attempted to push him in. He sighed and got in as I walked around to the passenger side. He put the key into the ignition and my truck groggily roared to life, shaking underneath us. He slowly backed out of the school parking lot and steadily drove down the highway.

"Man, this slow truck of yours," he muttered.

"That's my slow truck of mine," I sighed.

We both laughed. As we finally reached La Push, I noticed that Jacob wasn't driving down the usual road to his house. The smooth path I was all too familiar with was much too rocky and the trees were lush green with moss.

"Wait, where are we going?" I asked.

"Oops, sorry, I forgot to tell you. We're actually headed to Emily's today. She wanted all of us to meet someone before we went off," he explained.

"Oh, who did she want us to meet?"

"Her little niece, Claire. Emily's sister came down from the Makah reservation to visit. She brought her two daughters along with her, Claire and Mia. Today she had to run an errand, and since Claire wanted to stay with Emily, she's babysitting for her."

"Wow! I didn't know Emily had a sister."

"Yep. They don't see each other that often and Emily's only met her two nieces one time before. I'm assuming everyone's already over there by now."

We were heading uphill now and I started to recognize the road to Emily's. I was looking forward passed the horizon to see if we were getting closer to our destination, when something out the window to the right caught my eye. Two giant figures were blurring through the trees in a zigzag motion. They darted forward and jumped back; leaped and swerved through the trees only to jump back again, like they were keeping our pace of speed. One figure was a chocolate brown color, while the other, a sleek gray.

"You see that?" I asked, pointing out the window.

"Oh hey, it's Quil and Embry," he said and gradually accelerated faster.

As I looked closer, I could make out paws trampling the ground underneath them, leaving clouds of brown dust behind. The two suddenly disappeared into the trees; I looked forward to see that we'd arrived at Emily's house. Jacob slowed to a stop and got out immediately. As I got out, heading to Jake's side, I saw Quil and Embry come from out of the trees, on two legs this time. They were wearing the same thing Jacob was, nothing but cut-off jeans, and smiled at us as they got closer.

"Did you guys go on a run without me? Are you that impatient?" Jacob accused.

"No, not exactly," Embry explained, "We got bored, so we went to Quil's place real quick to pick up a DVD. He's letting me borrow it."

"I'm surprised it didn't get ruined or fall off on our way here," Quil said, smirking at Embry.

"I tied it to my leg really tight. Besides, I never lose stuff."

"Where's everyone else?" I asked.

"Yeah, what she said," Jacob said curiously.

"They're all inside, waiting for us," Embry answered.

"Yeah, let's go in. I can smell Emily's cooking now and I'm hungry. Plus, I wanna get back to running, I almost beat Embry today," Quil said, giving Embry a challenging look.

Embry chuckled and patted Quil's shoulder. "You're not there yet Quil, not there yet."

Quil rolled his eyes and everyone laughed. We all started toward the front door of Emily's. Half way there, Embry started nudging Quil in the side.

"So what was with that rose on your dresser, Quil?" Embry asked, grinning wide.

Quil smiled triumphantly to him. "I've got a date with a junior tomorrow. She said she liked roses, so I got one for her."

"A junior, eh? Smooth," Jacob joined in.

"Was that sarcasm? Don't act all smug just because you're dating a senior girl." Quil looked at me with one brow raised. I rolled my eyes.

"No, really, I'm happy for you."

"I worked hard on this one."

"Is she cute?" Embry asked.

"I wish I had a picture, but yeah, she's really cute," Quil assured.

"Well, tell us how the date goes, man," Jacob said, reaching his arm out to turn the handle on the front door.

As the door opened, the powerful aroma of Emily's cooking hit us at full force. The boys all sighed in unison at the smell and I was suddenly hungry too. There was a huge plate of chicken legs on the table and a large bowl of mashed potatoes, yellow with butter and laced with pepper. The boys each grabbed a plate from the nearby cabinet, filling it with as much food that they could handle. Jacob fixed me a plate as well, though it wasn't nearly as much as everyone else. We all sat down and ate, but in the living room, I heard people chattering.

"It's about time they got here," a low annoyed voice said. Paul.

"Who, who?" a high pitched voice that I didn't recognize squealed.

"More of our friends, sweetie," a soft voice answered. Emily.

"Hey guys, get in here!" another female voice shouted. Leah.

"Jeez, Leah. Loud much? You could've scared Claire," a voice said in a teasing tone. Jared.

"Sorry, sweetheart," Leah apologized.

"Wowd! Cwaire like wowd!" the high pitched voice yelled again. That must be Claire. We heard everyone in the living room laugh.

The boys got up and put their plates on the table. I wasn't even half way down with my meal, but as I looked at theirs, I saw that all that was left on their plates were bones. Holy crow! If anyone of these guys entered a food eating contest, they'd win hands down.

We all went into the living room and there they all were. Sam, Jared, and Paul were sitting on the couch, all wearing nothing but shorts. Leah stood on the far end of the couch, possibly to be away from Sam. Emily was crouched down to be on the same level as the toddler on her left. The tiny girl had beautiful black hair cut to ear length and a pink heart shaped bow was tied in the back. The cute pink dress she was wearing had small red flowers patterned on. She looked like a little princess.

"Claire, this is Bella, Jacob, Quil, and Embry," Emily introduced, pointing us out as she said each name, "Say 'hello', Claire."

"Hewwo!" Claire shouted and gave a beautiful smile.

"Oh, she's adorable! Hi," I cooed, bending down to wave at her.

Jacob smiled at her and waved too. "Hi there, Claire."

"Aww," Embry chuckled, "Hey cutie."

Claire giggled excitedly at our words and that made us all laugh back.

"How old is she?" I asked.

"Claire is how old?" Emily smiled, looking at Claire.

"I tu, tuuu!" Claire announced proudly, holding up two fingers.

"Two. That's great, kid," Jacob praised, making Claire smile even more.

"Um, where's Mia, you're other niece?" I asked Emily curiously.

"Oh, Mia's with my sister. Unlike Claire here, Mia's a little shy. Claire wanted to stay, but Mia went with her mother," Emily explained.

"Oh, I see, but she'll be back tomorrow?"

"Yep, that's right."

"Hey, Quil?" I heard Embry call out.

I looked over to see Quil staring blankly in Claire's direction. He looked like he was lost, not in thought or location, but just in general. His eyes were wide open and he didn't blink or even move. He didn't look like he was thinking of anything either, his expression was completely blank. Embry shot a confused look at Jacob and he leaned in closer to Quil.

"Yo, Quil? Quiiiiiil," Jacob called to him, waving his hand in front of Quil's face.

Jacob and Embry looked at each other a little worried. Suddenly, Quil's head snapped back up; he looked surprised for one second and dazed the next.

"You alright?" Embry asked.

"Uh, yeah. Sorry about that," he assured, turning his head to look down at Claire again, "Hi, Claire. How are you?"

"Hiii! Cwaire fine, fine!" Claire shouted at Quil and giggled.

"That's great, Claire."

"Gweat, gweat!"

"Are you having fun with Auntie Emily?"

"Cwaire hab fun! I pway wif dowwies!"

"Oh, you have dollies to play with?"

"Ya, you pway dowwies with me!"

Quil laughed. "Sure, of course I'll play with you."

"Dey in kithen, on cookie taybo. I no weach!" She pouted.

Quil looked at Emily confused. "Cookie table?"

"By the sink, actually," Emily corrected.

"Okay, I'll get your dollies, Claire," Quil offered.

"Den we pway?" Claire asked, her eyes beaming at Quil.

"Yeah, then we can play."

"Yaaaaay!" Claire jumped up and down in excitement.

Quil laughed again. "Come on, Claire."

Quil reached down to Claire and she grabbed his big arm with both hands. They walked into the kitchen and headed toward the sink. Paul suddenly burst into laughter which startled me a little.

"Wow! Looks like Claire's got a new playmate. Aw man, poor Quil," Paul teased, shaking his head.

Jacob and Embry started laughing too and I saw Leah in her same spot holding back a smile.

"Good luck, Quil," Embry called out to him, laughing some more.

"Oh, I think it's sweet of him," Emily defended.

"Yeah, me too," I agreed, "It takes a real man to care for kids like that."

"I can care for kids," Jacob said to me immediately.

"Really? I never really thought of you as the fatherly type."

"I could be, just, you know, not right now."

I laughed in response to his statement and he rolled his eyes. Embry decided to put his new DVD in to watch as they waited on Quil. There being no room on the couch, Jacob sat on the floor right next to it on the opposite side of Leah. I sat down to join him. He looked comfortable enough; I was comfortable just being next to him. Just about ten minutes into the DVD, Sam got up from the couch and headed into the kitchen where Quil was playing with Claire. He had a very stern look on his face as he went and I wondered if something might be upsetting him. Was it because of some Leah conflict? Leah didn't look much happier either, though she usually looks that way.

"Hey, Leah, how come Seth isn't here?" Paul asked.

"He had schoolwork to do and Sue thought it would be better for him to stay home today," Leah said with slight irritation.

"Huh. I bet he wasn't happy about that."

"Was it really even necessary to ask?"

His face turned into irritation as well. "Why not? I was just curious."

"Why else would he not be here? He's been absent before and it's always the same reason. Schoolwork or just for safety."

"Who knows, this time might be different."

"You should really know better. Don't ask useless questions."

"God, you always gotta make things so difficult, damn!"

Leah turned his back on him and Paul clenched his hands into fists.

"Calm down, guys," Jared said with little enthusiasm.

I looked over at Jared to notice that he was staring into the kitchen; focusing all his attention in that direction. From down here, I couldn't see what was going on in there, but maybe he could. He looked really concerned at whatever was going on.

"Jared, are you okay?" I asked.

He looked at me a little startled and scratched his head.

"Uh, yeah, yeah I'm okay," he said, though it didn't sound convincing.

I decided not to think too much about it. Another ten minutes passed. Paul was getting restless; he had his arms crossed and constantly tapped his foot on the small decorative table centered in the middle between the TV and couch.

"Ugh, when are going?" Paul asked in an annoyed tone.

"We're waiting on Quil," Jacob answered.

"Hey, Quil!" Paul called into the kitchen, "Are you ready to go yet?"

It took Quil a few seconds to answer back. "N-not yet. Just wait a little longer."

Paul groaned. Thirty minutes passed this time and even I was starting to wonder what the holdup was. Embry was enjoying the DVD. Jacob watched too, though it didn't look like he was paying attention. Paul grew more and more anxious and Leah shared the same annoyance Paul did. Emily sat patiently where Sam used to sit, watching us more so than the TV. Jared was still staring into the kitchen with the same look of concern. Now I'm starting to worry too, what's going on in there? All I could hear from the kitchen were Claire's occasional squeals and a laugh here and there. I remembered that Sam went into the kitchen too, though I didn't hear him at all. Maybe he just left out.

Leah suddenly groaned loudly. "Let's just go, okay."

"So eager to out run us, are you?" Embry said with a smirk.

"Yes, that's exactly it."

Paul jumped up from his seat and sighed in relief. "Quil can have his little playtime later."

Jacob and Embry started getting up too and I followed. Embry pushed the eject button on the DVD player and put the DVD into its case. Jared got up too, but he was still looking into the kitchen.

"Let's go, Quil!" Paul called out, "We're leaving now!"

Like before, it took Quil a few seconds to answer back. "You guys go without me, I'm staying here."

This made everyone's brows furrow in confusion. The only one who didn't react was Jared.

"Why? I thought you wanted to go especially," Jacob called to him.

It was silent again, this time longer than just a few seconds. Finally, Quil and Sam emerged from out of the kitchen. Sam had the same stern expression on and Quil looked…scared? Sam walked over to Emily's side, leaving Quil standing in the middle of the kitchen entrance, facing all of us. Sam nodded to him and I saw Quil swallow hard. Now everyone was concerned. Whatever was going on, it had to be big.

"Well, you guys are going to find out eventually anyway, so I might as well tell you now," Quil began to say. He twiddled his thumbs and looked off in a thoughtful manner, like he was thinking of what to say next. "Um, you know how Sam told…well, showed us, about finding our soul mates and stuff? Y'know, how you see that person and they become just that? Jared should know too."

He put his hand out toward Jared and he nodded. Apparently Jared fully understood what was going on. I felt Jacob stiffen beside me. Tension was thick and I was somewhat afraid of what he might say next.

"I, uh, I think I know exactly what he means now. Like, I fully understand one hundred percent, about the whole," he muttered, hesitating to say what was next, "Um, imprinting thing, or whatever."

Jacob's eyes suddenly popped open in what looked like horror. "No. Quil, no, you didn't."

Quil nodded slowly to him and then to everyone else. And just like that, the roar of voices came so fast and all at once, that it was hard to make out who was yelling.

"Ah! Quil!"

"Are you serious? Is he serious?"

"You actually…on her…? Dude, what the hell, man!"

"Wait, he did what? On my niece? How dare you!" That was Emily.

"I can't believe it! You imprinted on her?"

"Please, tell me you're joking. Tell me you're joking, Quil!" That was Jacob.

"I can't believe you! What were you thinking?" I joined in.

"You do realize that she's two, right? She said it herself, twooo!"

"Ugh, that's sick! Quil, why?"

"Dammit, not her! Not her!"

"I had no idea you were into that kind of stuff, Quil. You think you know a guy, especially considering you're in his head every single day!" That was Leah.

"A joke, Quil. Right? Just tell me that!"

"God damn, I hope Claire just slapped you in the face with her dolls one too many times or something."

"We should never have let him come over here!"

"Just stay away from her, you hear me!"

Quil's teeth clenched together and his body shook in what I assumed was anger toward our anger. His face was definitely mad, but I also noticed a bit of sadness too. He breathed deep and fast, I started to worry that he might lose control if we kept this up.

"Hey!" an angry voice bellowed at a volume I didn't think was possible, causing me to jump.

Jared darted in front of Quil, turning to face us head on. His eyes were furious, his teeth clenched, his hands balled into fists that shook violently, and he breathed in the same dangerous manner that Quil did. Sam put his hand out to him in a warning motion and Jared struggled to nod.

"Back off, okay!" Jared shouted, "You guys should know better. It's not like he asked for this, it's not like he expected this, it just happened. We can't control anything! No one's at fault here, so just shut the hell up!"

Everyone was silent and I was shocked. I've never seen Jared so angry before, though it makes sense. It's understandable that someone who's experienced imprinting before would defend Quil, even in a situation like this.

Quil's shaking body began to slow down and his breathing became more stable. Finally, he looked at Jared, smiling gratefully.

"Thanks, Jared," he said in a calm voice.

Jared turned his head to smile back. "No problem, buddy."

Sam took a step out into the middle of the room and sighed. "Jared's right, this isn't Quil's fault. He imprinted and that's that, no one is to blame. There's nothing we can do about it now; there's no changing the past. What we can do is support our brother in this trial. That's what a pack does and that's what we will do. Is that clear?"

Quil smiled at Sam and nodded in thanks. Sam smiled back, gesturing with his right hand for him to speak again. Quil took a deep breath before he began.

"And it's not like what you guys think," he assured, "All I want is for her to be happy and healthy. I wanna be there for her whenever she needs me. That's all it is."

Everyone remained silent for a good minute. They all looked at each other, wondering who would be first to say something to Quil. Jacob wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me in tight. He sighed.

"I-I'm sorry, Quil," Jacob said, being the first to apologize.

"I'm sorry too, really," I quickly followed up.

Embry nodded. "Sorry, man. I can't believe I acted like that, we're friends."

"Yeah, I'm sorry too. It's just kind of a…anyway, sorry," Paul apologized.

Emily let her head drop and moaned. "I guess I'll have to get use to it. I apologize for the way I acted."

Sam reached his arm around to rub Emily's shoulders comfortingly. Leah was the only one to not apologize; she stood in her same spot, looking away from the commotion. It irritated me a bit. I understood that imprinting was a sensitive area for her and this was an odd situation, but she could at least say 'sorry'.

"Thanks everyone," Quil said, finally completely calm and back to being Quil.

"So, are we still running today?" Paul asked.

"Of course, we can head out the back," Sam instructed.

Sam headed for the back door and Paul, Leah, and Embry followed. Quil and Emily both went into the kitchen to where Claire was. Jacob didn't move. I looked up to see his face, but I soon regretted it. I heard the back door open up a second time and Embry came into the living room.

"Hey Jake, you're coming, right?" Embry asked.

Jacob looked directly at Embry, his expression didn't change. "No. I think I'm gonna go home for today."

"Really? Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm sure."

Embry looked closer at Jacob's expression and didn't push the issue any further. He went back out the back door, making sure that it didn't slam too loud.

"You coming, Bella?" Jacob asked without looking in my direction.

"Of course," I answered.

Jacob kept his arm securely around my waist as we walked through the kitchen outside.

"It's okay, Claire. Everything's fine now," I heard Quil say as we walked out.

Jacob opened the passenger side door for me and walked around to the other side to get in. He put the keys into the ignition and as soon as my truck's ancient engine warmed up, he barreled down the rocky path at fifty-five; possibly the fastest my truck could handle. The expression on his face did not go away; it may have even gotten worse. He looked so broken, like he was in so much pain. I hated seeing Jake like this, it broke me too. I wanted to say something, but we were almost to his house. I'll wait until then to see what's wrong.

It didn't take long at all, as he drove up to his garage, skidding to a stop. He got out and slammed the door behind him. He came over to open my door, but I got out before he had the chance. We started over to the garage, but a window on the side of the house suddenly opened up, stopping us in our tracks. Billy's head poked out to look at us in surprise.

"Jacob, I thought you'd be home later than this. Aren't you with Sam?" Billy asked.

"I just decided to come home today, Dad," Jacob said in a low rough voice.

"Are you alright? Did anything go wrong?"

"I'm fine, Dad! We'll be in the garage."

Billy stared at him suspiciously. Jacob obviously didn't fool him, but he pushed down the window and rolled himself out of view. I guess Billy just didn't want to push it any further like Embry.

I followed Jacob into the garage. He drearily went up to the Rabbit, resting his elbows on the hood and hiding his face in the palms of his hands. I couldn't take it anymore.

"Jake, please. Tell me what's wrong. You know I hate seeing you like this," I demanded.

He didn't respond.

"Jake!"

More silence passed. I felt like I would go crazy if he didn't say anything soon.

"I thought it was supposed to be rare," he finally spoke, keeping his face hidden, "Now that's three of us. Why? Why? And to think, it could happen so young too."

I gasped. Of course, of course. Why didn't I understand sooner? Imprinting.

"I don't want…never, I'll never," he murmured to himself.

First Sam, then Jared, and now Quil. This imprinting must be much more common than they thought. If three of them have already imprinted, would it happen to Jake too? No. NO! I hated this, I hated this so much. It's not right that he needs to be forced into loving someone else and have no choice in the matter. Was that really love? He's obviously scared to death at this, so how would imprinting be any good? He loves me; he doesn't want to love anyone else. Imprinting can't just force him away from that. It's not fair! But, maybe I'm the one at fault. Could I just be keeping him away from his soul mate? I'm obviously not it, or else he'd have imprinted on me. Maybe I'm being selfish. Maybe he would be happier if he imprinted. But as it is now, him imprinting would hurt us both, right? Especially me, I'd be just like Leah. I think I am just selfish. I can't let Jacob go, I just couldn't handle that. I need him, I feel myself breaking apart just thinking about him being gone. If it happens, if he does imprint, could I continue onward? I've already experienced this kind of loss before and I doubt I'd be able to handle it again. So that was just it, I couldn't let him go, but if he did leave…

I started to tremble. I covered my reddened eyes with my right hand as the tears fell onto the stone floor of Jacob's garage. I spread my fingers apart just a bit so I could see him, but he wouldn't see my pain. He heard my sobs though and looked at me even more hurt than before. He turned toward me, spreading his arms out and finally opening up. Why should I hide anything if he wasn't? I rushed into his warm embrace, wrapping myself around him tight. I buried my face into his bare chest and let the tears flow smoothly down my cheek and onto him. He kissed my forehead three times lightly and sighed unsteadily.

"Please, don't cry," Jacob whispered.

I wasn't sure if he was talking to me or to himself. His voice was trembling as if he would begin to cry soon too. If I ever needed an even bigger reason to hold onto Jacob and never ever let him go, this would be it.

Wow. That was a big chapter.

It was also an awesome one! You did a good job with Quil's imprinting, that's exactly how I imagined it happening.

You should write more really soon
love this!!!!!! its super good!!!! cant wait for more.
This is fantastic!!   I'm going to be late for a Dr's appt but I just can't stop reading!!!   WOW!!!   I hope I can find this page when I get back!!!

It's a Good Story but There are a few mistakes ;

I think It's time I left , should be I think It's time I leave

& me arms should be , My arms

;P But it's a Great story , I don't think It is too Long

X Freyaa

Oh I understand. Some of those mistakes I've fixed, just not on this site since there's no restrictions. Thanks for telling me.

Your Welcome ;P I don't Know if there aren't any  more mistakes because English is not my native Language xD 

XFreyaa 

ohmyGod!

I LOVEEE THIS! It's awesome ! Lol, like legit! I lovee it!

Your such a great writer! -.- im jelouse. Lol

And, i absolutely LOVE the length of the chapters.tehe. (;

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service