The Twilight Saga

First of all, before you all plunge into the life of my newest character (That's here to stay!) I want to give a HUGE thanks to Angel for making this absolutely fantabulous banner that is so absolutely amazing!!!

Now let the story....

Begin.

~

Chapter One

What if?

That’s always the big question, isn’t it? What if I had followed him? What if I hadn’t agreed to go to this new house? What if I had been a rebellious kid? What if I had hung out with the cheerleaders? What if I hadn’t turned out as guyish as I did? What if I did wear makeup once and became addicted to how it made me look?

I could do on and on—these questions pierce everyone’s minds at least once in their lifetime. Thinking questions that start with “What if” is an addicting thing to do—even if it tortures you, and you know it does, you can’t stop. Those two words are like persistent flies that don’t get the phrase, “I’m going to kill you with a fly swatter” until you’ve already done it and they’re long gone—except, they never leave until they’ve been answered.
      I, personally, don’t have many questions like these in my head for several reasons—one key reason being I live in the moment and don’t have any regrets…mostly. The only time I’m not brave is when it comes to emotions—besides that, I just go with the flow without any rhyme or reason. Pretty sweet, huh?
     Now, as I sat on the counter in the local bakery-type-thing-that-also-serves-milkshakes-and-muffins-and-such, I most definitely didn’t have any of that on my mind.
     “Well that sucks,” Jade announced as I gave her the news—I was moving. Not far, really, we were just moving a bit closer to the newest store my dad was working at as he tried to “turn it around”.
     Jade was the gothic one in the bunch of us---I mean, I didn’t view her as goth but everyone else did. She had raven black hair, piercing green eyes, and relatively pale skin. She always had her nails painted black and she loved to complain and be sarcastic—but, she was one of my best friends. From the moment we’d moved here and I’d gotten to my new—erm, old now I supposed—school, I had pinned her down to be my friend since she didn’t seem like the type to pry or care even in the slightest that I was about 75%+ boy—technically. I mean, I was still a girl, I just didn’t act or dress like most girls did.
     “We’ll still get to see you, right?” Lilly’s voice quivered as she asked me this.
     Lilly was a ditzy blond with some memory problems. She, too, had green eyes but hers had more of an Aqua tone to them then Jade’s did. Her skin wasn’t as pale, but still pale and, also, freckle-less. She may have been seventeen, but she acted like any six year old—you know, minus the bratty attitude. She was distracted by shiny objects—basically anything, really--, had wandering thoughts, and an attention span that was roughly the equivalent of a ten year old; maybe a tad bit better than that.
     I laughed at Lilly’s comment, now, though. “Of course you will, Lilly! You live with me and I’ll still work here so I’ll be able to see Jade.” I rolled my eyes, smiling now however.
     Lilly blinked at this then giggled herself. “Oh yeah! I forgot!” She beamed at me, not the least bit phased.
     "You’re moving schools, too, you know,” I reminded her gently since I had a feeling she’d forgotten that, if I was moving schools, she was as well.
     “I knew that, silly Kris!” She laughed again and said to Jade, “Hey, Jade, isn’t Kris silly? She is, isn’t she?”
     Again, I rolled my eyes with a grin but—truth be told—I felt terrible for Lilly. She had no parents, a horrible memory, and she also talked to herself at times by answering her own questions or murmuring stuff to herself when she didn’t know something. I thought she might be slightly insane, but I’d never say that to her—she was a bit too…fragile. Sure, she’d take it good at first, but once it settled in she’d go into hysterias of sobbing and she might run off—I wouldn’t want her to do that.
     While Lilly had no parents that we knew of, Jade had parents—and two brothers as well, though she rarely spoke of them--, her parents were split. Jade lived with her mom—her brothers with her dad-- and had switched her last names when her mom had remarried.
     The chime above the door sounded and Lilly yelled as cheerily as ever, “Hi! Welcome!” She gave the person who had walked in a big smile as she poised at her station behind the counter, ready to grab something at a seconds notice.
     Lilly worked behind the counter getting ice cream, muffins, and milkshakes--whatever the order was. She used to work at the cash register because of her perky and people loving nature, but she’d always press the wrong buttons, give too much change or too little, and she’d take forever as she’d try to remember what to do—so we switched her and put her behind the scenes so she wouldn’t cause as much trouble…although, she did—occasionally—spill something and make a big mess it was really no trouble at all to clean it up.
     Jade, now, worked at the register---which probably wasn’t the best position for her considering she didn’t really like people, but she was quick with cash. She didn’t mind it, but she didn’t love it. I sensed she would rather be behind the scenes so she wouldn’t have to talk to anyone who came in, but she didn’t complain because she didn’t truthfully care.
     I, on the other hand, was a mixture between the supervisor, behind the scenes person, and register worker. Basically, I did it all when I wasn’t doing what I was now—resting and taking my break.
     I wasn’t going to go to school for a few days, however, because I was procrastinating. I’d told my dad that I needed to say goodbye and that I was a bit nervous—he’d just muttered, “yeah, yeah, sure” in response. If he’d been listening, I’m sure he would’ve said different but, hey, who was I to argue?
     The door chimed again and I glanced over to see a little girl with hair so blond it was almost white and bright blue eyes that were shining. She had regular skin—not tan, but not pale—and a smattering of freckles across her nose. I was proud to call this girl Tatum, my younger sister.
     Tatum had inherited our dad’s looks while I had acquired my mom’s strawberry blond hair and eyes such a pale blue that sometimes they were mistaken for being grey. My mom had always said that, when the sunlight hit them just right, it made it seem like I was in a trance of sorts.
     “Kris!” Tatum shrieked as she saw me. She dropped her backpack and ran over to me as I slipped over the counter just in time to scoop her up and twirl her in my arms.
     “Hey, kiddo, how was your first day at your knew school?” I asked her as I kissed her forehead.
     “It was awesome! I met so many new kids and I got to go outside for thirty minutes and play on the swing set! I slid down the slide and everything! I almost knocked into Adam but he moved out of the way!” she gushed, beaming at me. “And after, Adam’s mom offered to bring me home since dad wasn’t there to pick me up!”
     “Oh?” I raised an eyebrow at her. “You know you’re not supposed to take rides from strangers, Tate.” I shook my head. “Next time, go to the office and call my cell phone, okay?”
      Tatum nodded obediently and I said, “Good girl.” I set her down and walked over to the woman who had come in after her, assuming she was Adam’s mom.
     “I’m Kris,” I greeted her, giving her the smallest of smiles. “Kris Gracelyn, Tatum’s older sister. I’m so sorry you had to take her here.”
     As I spoke, I examined this woman. She had dark brown hair and extremely tan skin—not a freckle in sight. She had chocolate brown eyes and the corners of her mouth were tipped up, as if she were ready to smile at any moment.
     “Oh, it’s no big deal really!” She laughed, her voice slightly high-pitched. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Kris. I’m Mrs. Jackson.” Mrs. Jackson smiled at me and gave me a hug—which I thought was a bit personal considering we had only just met. “I’m actually not Adam’s mom; I just help his dad around the house.” She gave a small smile at this then paused before asking, “Is your real name Kris? Or is it Kristen?”
     I shook my head. “No, my real name is Krissy but I absolutely hate it so I’m Kris.” I looked her dead in the eyes as I spoke, hoping she got my silent message that meant she was supposed to call me Kris as well if we ever met again.
     Mrs. Jackson nodded. “Well, as I said, it was a pleasure to meet you Kris and I’m so sorry to have to rush out on you like this, but Adam is waiting in the car right now and I don’t want him to be late getting home.” She gave an apologetic smile and waved as she left.
     I shook my head, making a face at the back of her car as she left. “I don’t like her,” I announced. “Too…girlish.”
     Jade snorted, but the snort was unsteady and I turned around to see her slightly paler then usually.
     “Jade?” I spoke her name softly—something was off.
     “It’s nothing,” she said, waving me off as easily as if I were asking if she had done her homework.
     I nodded, not pressing her further.
     “Now lets get home, Tatum, Lilly, we’ve got to start unpacking.” I took Tatum’s hand in mine and waited for Lilly to come out around the corner. “Are you okay for the last twenty minutes alone, Jade?” I asked her.
      Jade nodded and said, “I’ll just close up early.” She grinned slightly and waved us off. “Have fun in your new house.”
     “Oh yeah, it’ll be a joy,” I grumbled as I left out the door and walked to my car, slipping in after helping Tatum in her booster seat. I started up the car, backed out, and left as a small sense of unease slipped over me.

Tags: If, What, Yuuki

Views: 271

Replies to This Discussion

Chapter Ten

That night, I barely got any sleep—the whole “date with Eli” thing was killing me. Every time I managed to get to sleep, Josh’s pained expression haunted my dreams and I’d wake up with a start, feeling awful, feeling like I’d betrayed someone—even though I hadn’t. I mean, it’s not like Josh and I had been dating, right? We were just friends.

I groaned loudly and, at last, decided to get up and go outside onto the roof. I grabbed my guitar on my way out and propped open my window and carefully slid down my roof, making sure I didn’t slip on the slight dip.

I flipped my bangs out of my eyes and quietly strummed random chords on my guitar, humming softly until a song finally hit me and I began playing the acoustic version of “Lullaby” by “One Republic” with a smile, softly singing the words.

Days feel hard earned 
Night grows longer 
Summer says its goodbyes 
And darkness covers 
We find shelter 
Our own place to hide 

Oh 
As the light goes out 
Thoughts turn to angels 
Over us 
Oh 
As the night comes in 
Dreams start their drifting 
And you hear 
A lullaby 
Ooooooh 
A lullaby 
You and I 

Trees touch windows 
Say their hellos 

We hear this house as it settles in 
Worry slips away 
It don't know your name 
It don't know where to find us 

Oh 
As the light goes out 
Thoughts turn to angels 
All around us 
Oh 
As the night comes in 
Dreams start their drifting 
And we hear 
A lullaby 
A lullaby 
You and I 
You and I 

Ooooooooooh

I smiled as I finished and suddenly felt myself growing dreary. I turned to crawl back into my room, but found I only had enough energy to gently put my guitar in and lay my head down on the roof. One night couldn’t hurt…

SSS

The next morning I awoke to the sound of my name being yelled from down below me by two voices that sounded familiar…

My eyes fluttered open and I slowly sat up and yawned, rubbing the sleep from my eyes with a murmur of, “What the…?” I heard my name once again and I glanced down to see Josh and Eli down below the roof, still shouting at me.

“What do you guys want?” I groaned.

“It’s 7:30,” Josh said, raising an eyebrow at me.

“Time for this thing called “School”. Have you heard of it?” Eli teased me with a grin.

“7:30!? Why didn’t I wake up!?” I now realized there was a faint beeping behind me in my room—of course I wouldn’t have heard that, I was a deep sleeper. It barely woke me up when I was next to it.

“I tried to wake you up from your room but your door was locked,” Josh said with a shrug.

Suddenly, I cursed. “Tatum! And Lilly!” I banged my head on the roof. I was awful!

“I got Tatum ready and your friend Jade dropped Lilly off earlier all ready for school,” Josh said calmly.

“Good god that was close,” I murmured. “Thank you so much, Josh, you’re a life saver!” I said and quickly slipped into my room and shut the window along with the blinds as I took off my pajamas, turned off my alarm, and quickly changed into the first things that I saw—a blue T-shirt that had flames all across it that seemed like a tattoo and black shorts that cut off at my knee. I grabbed my red guitar hoodie as well and quickly half-way brushed my hair and brushed my teeth before running downstairs, slipping my hoodie on it the process. I grabbed my backpack at the end of the steps and went outside, locking the door as I went.

I glanced to see Lilly and Tatum already in the car and quickly ran my To-Do list through my hair. At last, I cursed. “My history homework!” Agh! This weekend of all weekends I had to forget?!

Josh grinned at me and unzipped his backpack and took out his history homework and handed it to me. “You can give it back to me later—history isn’t until 5th hour, right?” He smiled and waved over his shoulder as he walked back over to his house—Eli following—and slipped into the drivers seat of his car, Eli getting into the passengers seat. I waved, a bit miffed, and got into my car as well, quickly putting the history homework in my backpack before following them to the Elementary where I dropped off Tatum, Josh dropping off Adam, and watched as the two hurriedly went over to the other, smiling and linking hands as they walked into school—typical, my little sister got a romance before I did, I thought with a slight laugh as I followed Josh—yet again—to the high school.

I got out of the car, only vaguely listening to Lilly gush about her night with Jade. I walked Lilly to her 1st hour and waved. “I’ll see you at lunch, okay Lilly?” I said with a smile and she waved and yelled, “Bye, Kris!” I rolled my eyes and went to first hour, taking out Josh’s history homework and copying it down before I could forget.

SSS

Fifth hour came in a flash and I walked in—with my hood up, of course, although I knew the teacher was going to tell me to take it off soon—and glanced around. I spotted Josh and I took out his history paper, walking over to him and Alex, who were chattering rather loudly.

“Thank you so much, Josh, I owe you one,” I told him sincerely and was about to walk back to the corner when he grabbed my hand and gently tugged me back.

“You know, it’s rude not to sit with your sisters boyfriend,” Josh teased me, glancing at Alex.

“My sister…?” I raised an eyebrow then got it. “Ohh! You mean Lilly? I suppose—but she’s not my sister.” Not like I thought she knew that… I rolled my eyes at him and took the seat just in front of his. “I suppose you’re right.” I grinned at him and stood in line in front of him as we walked to lunch, walking backwards so I could look at him as we walked and talked, one time laughing so hard I bumped into Alex—who was walking in front of me—which only made me laugh harder.

I managed to stammer out a sorry and turned back around, spotting Lilly in the distance. I smiled and waved for her to come over—I felt really stupid, though, because it took her almost five minutes to see me so I was just waving like a moron.

“Kris!!” She shrieked and ran over excitedly, bringing me down to the ground in a tackle hug.

“Hey, Lilly,” I laughed out with a smile. “You’re acting like you haven’t seen me in years!”

“Five hours seems like years to me,” she pouted and got up, reaching out a hand to me to help me up. I took it and she—with surprising strength—yanked me up next to her.

“I need to talk to you later, ‘kay Kris? It’s important,” She told me and I raised an eyebrow. What was so important that she couldn’t tell me in front of Josh and Al--…okay, so a lot of things were important that they shouldn’t hear, but she’d never acted like this before. Oh well…I guess I’d see later tonight.

“You got it—tell me later at work?” I offered and she nodded happily then skipped past me and up to Alex, giving him a big hug and a kiss on the cheek in greeting, which made him flush slightly. I chuckled quietly to myself at this then returned my attention to Josh.

“Might want to turn around,” He said. “You might miss all the food if you do.” He winked playfully and I stuck my tongue out at him but turned around anyways.

Josh and I went through the line, laughing and chatting as we went. When we came to the dessert—freshly baked chocolate brownies—I grabbed two and set them on my tray, prompting a raising of his eyebrows from Josh.

“What?” I asked him as I paid for my food and waited for him to do the same.

“You just got two brownies,” He told me like the idiot he was.

“No, really? I thought these were apples!” I gasped.

“Ha, ha, funny.” He stuck his tongue out at me with a grin. “What I mean is-why two? On Friday all you ate was an apple and drink of your water.”

“Because on Friday, I had breakfast—today I haven’t eaten anything and I’m freaking starving,” I told him, and my stomach rumbled as if to prove this. “Oh, Hush, you! Can you not see the food on this tray that you’re about to get?” I told it, annoyed. Great—I was annoyed with my stomach.

“Ahhh,” He said with a nod, as if he got it, then made his way to the table—me following behind him.

I saw Lilly and Alex already at the table and I slid in on the empty side next to Lilly, since Alex already had the other side, and dug into my dessert—which prompted more raised eyebrows from everyone at the table but Lilly.

“Good lord, you guys, am I a criminal today or something!?” I exclaimed.

“No…but you’re eating your brownie first,” Cindy said, making a face.

“Duh.” I rolled my eyes.

“Well…why?”

“Why aren’t you eating yours first?” I shot back.

“Because it’s called dessert for a reason! Now what’s your backup to your argument?” She grinned at me, laughing a bit.

“If I got hit with a randomly falling meteor right now, and died, I would want to die knowing I’d already eaten my dessert,” I said with a grin in return that was, okay, a bit smug.

“Okay, then why do you have two?” Heather questioned.

“Good god it’s like an interrogation room,” I muttered then sighed loudly and explained, “I skipped breakfast this morning because I fell asleep on the roof last night—“ This earned me a frightened gaze from Lilly—“ and I’m a heavy sleeper so I didn’t hear my alarm going off in my room—and no, Lilly, I didn’t fall off.” I gave her a reassuring smile and hug. “Now, if you’re done asking me a billion questions—I’m going to eat,” I said and promptly dug in.

SSS

All through-out lunch Heather and Cindy kept shooting me looks that I did not get at all, so when Lunch ended and I’d thrown my food away they both grabbed my arms and tugged me aside from the rest of the group.

“Kris!” Heather hissed quietly. “Did you not get our message?”

“No? What message?” I shot her an odd look.

“We want to prep you for your date with Eli tonight!” Cindy squealed happily, beaming at me.

My eyes grew wide and I took a step back, my hands in the air. “No,” I said firmly. “Whats wrong with just going in my jeans and T-shirt!?”

They both gasped like they’d just been told the world was about to end and Heather piped up, “You can’t do that! It’s Eli and your first date! You have to dress up!”

I groaned loudly and put my head in my hands. “I don’t even own a dress! Or a skirt! Or a frilly tank-top! My closet consists of things you’d find in your brothers closet—unless he was a cross dresser or had a tendency to wear girls clothes.”

Cindy gave me a face. “You at least have makeup, right?” She prompted and I shook my head. She groaned loudly and shook her head in disappointment. “You are awful! This is going to be really hard to work with!” She sighed.

“You and I look to be the same size,” Heather mused, glancing me up and down. “So I could bring a dress from my house.”

“And I suppose I’ll bring my make-up kit,” Cindy mused.

“You’re not going to drop this until I agree, are you?” I sighed and they gleefully shook their  heads in response. I rubbed my temples and grumbled, “Fine. But nothing pink or girly, and I get to have limits. A black dress would be preferred and please don’t bring lipstick?”

The both nodded obediently, smiling. “You won’t regret this, Kris, swear!” Cindy said chipperly and I muttered something in response then earned me a light slap on my shoulder.

“We’ll swing by around 4:30!” Heather said with a smile and they both walked off, already chatting about what they could do.

“What was that about?” Josh asked me as he came from where he’d been standing a ways away.

“They’re planning my demise,” I muttered, arousing a laugh and a smile from Josh.

That was amazing!!!
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! love it post more soon!!!!!!!!

O.o make-over?? oh no! If they make her girly...hehehehe!

This was amazing! and the song was so beautiful!

Josh! I'm glad he laughed... O.o that's not strange right?

Ik! D: Poor Kris xD

Awh, thanks Moonie!!

O.o a bit... (;

UGhh, You sooo need to update again, like now!!

Please!!!

OMG i loved it! Cant wait for more

Lol!!! :D

Thanks!

hahahaha! right after I ask for more story you post more! Any way great chapter MORE PLEASE.
Thank you, guys! All your comments mean a lot to me ^_^

Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You really don't like Eli O.o

I will! :D

Thxxx!

sorry i havent commented in awhile i just got caught up with the story

loved it! :)

Thx u!

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service