The Twilight Saga

It has been 20 years since Edward left. Bella never stopped loving him.
This story is now complete. Hope you enjoy it.

After All These Years

Setting: 20 years after Edward leaves in New Moon.

Chapter 1

Unlike some people, I loved washing dishes. It was the time that I allowed my mind to wander freely; the time where I replayed the day in my head; the time when I allowed memories to wash over me. Maybe it was the warm water. Maybe it was the feeling of washing everything away. Maybe it was that the window over the sink faced the forest and brought Edward back to my mind each day.

I didn’t push Edward from my mind anymore. The first year after he left, I couldn’t even think of him without clutching myself in physical pain. I couldn’t bear to say his name…couldn’t bear to hear it. But that had changed over the years. I welcomed the memories now. For me, there would never be another love. I knew I had found my one true love as a young woman. I knew Edward was the only piece that could complete me. Twenty years later, I still loved him.

Tonight, Edward was so clear in my mind. Jacob and his family had surprised me with a birthday cake. It was the first birthday since Charlie had died and they didn’t want me to be alone. I preferred to skip over birthday celebrations. Like most women, the thought of getting older was offensive, but for me birthdays also signified the end. The end of Edward and me-----the memory of my eighteenth birthday party at the Cullen’s was one of my blackest memories.

Jake and I remained best friends all these years. He imprinted on Anna when he was nineteen and they were married shortly after. Life had changed for Jacob after the Cullens left Forks. He no longer shape shifted. There was no need. Once in a great while, he would tell me that he smelled a sweet smell in the air, warning me to be careful. I think he thought it would scare me. It never did. I only hoped that meant that an old friend was passing by, or more importantly, Edward was near.

As I washed and dried the last plate, I replayed Jacob’s last words to me tonight. “Lock up good tonight, Bells. I smell a strong sweetness in the air.” He had no idea how I wished that were true.

I hung the dishtowel to dry and went out on the back stoop, staring at the forest. It was dark, but it didn’t scare me. Before turning in for the night I spoke out loud, “Good night, Edward. I love you.”

Chapter 2

I still kept the bedroom at the top of the stairs. I had repainted and gotten new furniture along the years. But in all those years, I never replaced the mattress. It was there that we talked for hours; there that he held me, and that we kissed. It was worn now, and honestly my back would most definitely benefit from a new mattress. I just couldn’t part with it.

I got ready for bed and turned on the bedside lamp. I opened my window a crack, like I had every night since he left. Then I took out my journal. I always wrote in it on nights that I felt particularly preoccupied with memories. I learned years ago that writing my thoughts down would often ward off the nightmares I had so often. Somehow I wasn’t sure it would help tonight. My journal, like anything else about my life, was not a typical journal. I actually wrote letters to Edward. I had filled over a dozen blank books with letters to him. Maybe someday, when I was gone, he would read them and understand the depth of my love for him. He would know that I figured out why he really left and that I eventually forgave him. Tonight was a night I knew I needed to write to him. And so I began…

My Dearest Edward,
I’ve missed you so much today. It’s my birthday. I turned thirty-eight today. That means it is almost 20 years to the day since you’ve been gone. I never would have believed that I would be without you after all these years. On days like today, I still feel the hole in my chest. I know it was your love for me that allowed you to leave. But, I wonder, do you still think of me? I love you, Edward...as much now as ever before.

I stopped there because tears were making it difficult to write. I cried myself softly to sleep.

Shortly afterwards, the nightmare began. It was always the same when it came. Wandering in the forest. Calling out his name. Crying. Never finding him. Feeling so alone. And then…waking up in a cold sweat, sobbing for what I would never have again.
I tried to calm myself, counting my breaths, in and out.

Then I heard his voice, “Bella.”

I sat upright and looked around the room. It was empty, of course. But, I didn’t feel alone in the room. Oh, God. Tonight was particularly bad. I was having delusions again. It was years since I had heard the delusions this clearly. I tried to concentrate harder. Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in…

I felt a cool breeze in the room and instinctively pulled the blanket higher to my chin.

“Edward?” I whispered into the dark room.

Table of Contents
Clickable Links

Chapters 1 & 2- on header of each page
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14

Chapter 15 -This is not clickable....look for it near p. 34

Chapter 16

Chapter 17

Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21

Views: 8052

Replies to This Discussion

omg i loved it but will you please write more i love it so much and i would like to know about the wedding and what happens after it so please let us know i loved it all....
LOL!!! Best part of the new chapter:

“I think whatever Bella wants, Bella gets,” he said, kissing my wet nose.

“Hmm,” I said, kissing him. “Bella wants Edward.” I tried to make my expression look sultry.

He raised his sculpted brow and swallowed loudly. “Saturday it is, then.”

LOVE IT!!!!!!! PLEASE WRITE MORE SOON???????????????????
He laughed, kissing my hand again. “I don’t know if I can think of a word that describes what you do to me. When I look at you all I know is that the world is in perfect alignment. Everything seems more beautiful when I am with you. I feel perfectly blissful, utterly and completely content.” He sighed, taking my face in his hands. “I love you. You are my world, Bella.”

wow! that was amazing!
yay!! i cant wait for the wedding!! :D
You did a wonderful job describing Edward.
Great story! I love it!
Thanks, Lisa!!
Thanks!!!
Haha I like how he kisses her wet nose like shes a dog, okay that was weird of me...

Chapter 15

Edward found Everything Vintage quickly, so quickly in fact that it hadn’t even opened for the day.  The “Closed” sign hung in the window with the hours of operation written neatly below.  They wouldn’t be open for another half hour so Edward suggested that I get a real breakfast.  I had spotted a McDonald’s on the way and had him head over to the drive-thru.  He ordered a sausage biscuit and a cup of hot chocolate for me, and then pulled around to the window to pick it up.  A pretty, young blonde slid open the window to collect his money and hand him the bag.  She smiled brightly at Edward and almost dropped the change as she handed it back to him.  I sighed.  It had been a while since Edward and I had been out in public and I would once again have to get used to his good looks turning females’ heads to mush. 

Edward drove back toward the store and parked on the street while I ate my deliciously greasy sandwich.  He looked over at me and laughed at my expression.  “Is it really that good?  Because honestly it looks truly revolting.” 

“It’s one of my favorite junk food indulgences.  Do you want to try a taste?” He made a face and nodded his head.  “Chicken,” I teased.

“Not chicken, just choosy.  There is only one thing in this car that would appeal to my tastes.  Unfortunately, that would be you.” 

I stopped chewing and stared at him.  He sensed that he had shocked me and began to speak again. “Sorry, Love.  That was uncalled for.  It’s just that you smell so good from the rain that my thinking is a little clouded.”

“Should I get out of the car now?  Are you in pain?”

He took my hand, “No, no.  It’s not bad.  I just hunted recently…I’m not thirsty.  Your scent is just so… intoxicating.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be.  I love it,” he said, kissing my wrist.

“So, I am still your drug of choice?”  I laughed, remembering a similar discussion.

“You are exactly my brand of heroin.”  The precise words I had remembered him saying to me so many years ago.

I finished up my breakfast and gathered my garbage to be thrown out.  The shopkeeper had turned the sign to “Open” and turned on all the lights.  “Do you want to wait here or come with me?” I asked.

“Alice will kill me if she knows I saw your gown.  Isn’t that against tradition, anyway?”

“Edward, we are far from the traditional couple!”  I said, laughing.

“I still don’t think we should tempt the fates,” he replied.

I browsed through the store while Edward waited in the car.  It was a tiny shop, overflowing with treasures wherever I looked.  A pretty, auburn haired woman polished a silver teapot behind the counter and looked up as I made my way around the obstacle course of items she had displayed.  “Can I help you find something?”

“Yes, my friend told me that you carried wedding dresses.”

“You must be Bella, ” she said smiling.

“I am…did Alice tell you I’d be coming?”

“She did.”  She reached out to shake my hand.  “My name is Penelope.  I have the dress hanging in the back. Follow me.”

I wove my way to the back of the store, praying that I wouldn’t fall over some near priceless antique. I still wasn’t the poster child for gracefulness.  I was a little worried that Alice had sent me to an antique shop.  I really couldn’t picture myself in some old, elaborate gown.  What if I hated it?  Alice would be so upset. 

Penelope led me into the changing room and told me to wait there while she got the gown.  I sat on one of the pink velvet chairs while I waited for her to return.  The room was small but lovely.  It had mirrors on three walls; the fourth was wallpapered with pink and cream roses. Two side windows brought in light through the ivory lace curtains.  It was very feminine and I wistfully wished I had a female here to share this moment with me…the moment I tried on a wedding gown for the first time. 

“Here it is,” Penelope said, carrying in the gown.  It was enclosed in an opaque garment bag so I couldn’t see it at first.  Penelope quickly removed its protective covering and held it out for me to view.

“Oh!”  I breathed, putting my hand over my mouth.  “It’s beautiful.”

“Would you like to try it on?” she asked, smiling.

“Yes… please.  I’d love to.” 

She took the white satin gown from the hanger and helped me slide into the silky smooth fabric.  Then, she effortlessly zipped me into the dress.   Alice had been right…the dress was a perfect fit.  She placed a small headpiece and veil onto my head and spun me around to face one of the mirrors.  

My eyes welled with tears as I stared at myself in the mirror.  It was absolutely perfect. “Anne Shirley.  I look just like Anne Shirley! ” I finally said aloud, wiping away a lone tear.

She laughed, “You are very observant!  This is the very dress that Megan Follows wore in the production of Anne of Green Gables.  I recently acquired it by auction.  Do you like it?”

“I love it!”

“I’m glad.  I loved it when I first saw it, too…and it looks lovely on you.  Shall I get it ready for you to take with you or would you like it delivered?”

“I’ll be taking it with me,” I said, handing her my VISA card. 

“That won’t be necessary.  It’s already been paid for,” she said, smiling.

“Who… Alice?”  I asked full well knowing it had to have been.

Penelope was still smiling.  “She’s a great friend!”

“Yes,” I said, smiling back,  “and soon to be my sister-in-law.”

Edward had the trunk open when I got to the car.  “Do you like Alice’s gift?”

“You are all ridiculously generous.  I certainly could have paid for my own gown.  As a matter of fact…”

“Bella…” he interrupted, “let Alice be Alice.  Enjoy your gift and stop worrying about money…that’s something you don’t ever have to worry about again.”  He kissed my cheek. 

I let out a deep breath.  I did tend to forget just how wealthy the Cullens were.  I didn’t know exactly how much money Edward had, but I knew that it was quite a lot.  That would take some getting used to. 

On the way home I got to thinking about Jacob.  I really needed to let him know about the wedding.  That was a scary thought given our last conversation.  But I needed to get this settled.  I needed him to accept Edward and me being together.  I needed to feel I wasn’t losing him as my friend.  But mostly, I needed him to walk me down the aisle. 

“Edward, could you drop me off at La Push?”

“Hmm…have some things to settle with Jacob?” he asked.

“Yes... he was really upset last night.  I need to make things right with him.  I want him to give me away to you on Saturday.”

“Oh, Bella.  That is not going to be easy for him.  You know how he feels about me. Why are you setting yourself up for heartache?”

He knows how I feel about you.  I need to try to talk some reason into him.  You can just drop me off at the borderline and I’ll walk to his garage.  It’s just a few miles down from the border.”

“Don’t be silly, Bella.  You take the car.  I can run home, ” he said.

“OK.  Or, you could wait for me.  I won’t be too long,”

“No.  You take as much time as you need.  Alice will be happy to get me working on the wedding plans.  Just come up to the house when you’re finished.”  He pulled up to the borderline and put the car in park.  He turned and kissed me deeply.  “If you need me to come and get you…for whatever reason, call me.” 

“Edward, I’ll be fine.  Don’t worry about me.  I’m more worried about you being alone with Alice,” I laughed.

He rolled his eyes.  “Yes.  I’m sure she’s feeling a great deal of pressure with the wedding coming in three days.  Maybe we should just elope?”

“And risk her wrath?  Oooh, no!”  I said. 

We both laughed and I kissed him once more before he got out of the car.  I watched him walk into the forest and then saw a streak of light go through the trees…he was running.

I drove the five minute drive to Jacob’s garage, trying not to think about how the upcoming conversation might go.  I was nervous enough…no need to put myself into a complete panic attack.

Pulling into the gravel lot, I saw Jacob’s pick-up parked on the side of the garage.  I pulled along side of his truck and slowly walked to the front of the garage.  Anna was working in the office so I decided to go and see her first. 

“Hi, Bella,” she greeted me cheerfully. 

“Hey, Anna.  How are things?”

“Hmm…ok.  Jake’s in a mood though,” she grimaced.

“Still?”

She nodded.  “He’s mad about your …um….situation.  And he’s mad that he lost it with you last night.  He was sooo angry last night.  I swore he was going to phase right in our living room.”

“Did he phase at all?”

“No, but he did put a decent size hole through my wall,” she said.

“I’m sorry, Anna.” 

“Don’t be.  I told him that he needs to grow up.  You can’t help what you feel.  I told him you imprinted on Edward years ago.  This is your destiny.”

“What did he say to that?”

“Hasn’t talked to me since,” she laughed.  “It’s ok, he’ll get over it.”

“Or not.  What I say to him today is probably just going to add fuel to his fire.  But, really, please don’t argue with Jake, at least not about Edward and me.”

She looked at me for a moment.  “You’re going to marry him, aren’t you?  Is that what you’re here to tell Jacob?”

I nodded.  “I love him.”

She came around the counter and hugged me.  “I know you do, Bella.  And for all it’s worth…I’m happy for you.”  She nudged me towards the entrance to the garage.  “Good luck.”

I didn’t see Jake at first, until I noticed his feet sticking out from under an ancient jalopy. 

I kicked his boot and called out to him.  “Jake?”

He didn’t answer.  “Jake, I need to talk to you.” I said a little louder.

“Hmm?” He grumbled.

“I’d kind of like to see you when I am talking to you,” I said.

He rolled out from under the car, but didn’t stand.  He stared at me without saying a word.

“Thanks.”

He nodded.  Why was he so darn difficult?  I crouched down next to him.  “Do you have some time to talk?” I asked.  “I thought maybe we could take a walk down to the beach.”

He finally stood and headed over to the sink to wash his grimy hands.  I was obviously getting the silent treatment.  So… that’s how we walked until we got to the beach, in complete silence.  He finally turned to me then and began to speak.

“I don’t know what you want me to say,” he started with an agitated tone.  “I hate that he’s come between us again.  I hate knowing I hurt you last night.  But, Bella, I just can’t help the way I feel about him.”

“Neither can I.  Jake, if I told you to stop loving Anna could you do it?”

“It’s not the same, Bella.  Anna and I are soul mates.  I imprinted on her.”

“Could you do it?” I questioned him again.

“No…of course not…”

I cut him off.  “Well that’s how it is with Edward and me.  I love him.  Jake, you know I’ve always loved him.  He has always owned my heart.  I cannot be without him again.  I shouldn’t have to be.”

He continued to walk down the beach without looking at me. 

“Jacob, I’m going to marry him…on Saturday.” My heart was beating wildly in anticipation of his reaction.

He stopped abruptly.  His face turned a dark shade of red and his fists clenched down close to his sides.  He was so angry that his whole body shook.  “You can’t!  Are you crazy, Bella?   He’s a frickin’ blood-sucking vampire. You can’t have a normal relationship with him.  Do you have a death wish?”

“Don’t be ridiculous.”  I said calmly.

He turned me around to face him, holding me by my arms.  “Me?  I’m the one being ridiculous?  You will never truly be able to live as husband and wife.  Never!  Do you understand what I am saying?  You’ll never be able to consummate your marriage.   For God’s sake, he’d kill you,” he yelled.

“That is truly none of your business!  But even if it were, you know that I won’t always be this fragile, Jake,” I said harshly.

He let out a horrible growl then, interpreting correctly the meaning of what I had said. “Oh, so that’s the plan?  And just when is that going to happen?” he snarled.

“I don’t know.  We haven’t really discussed a time frame.  Soon though…”

“So, the bloodsucker is going to break the treaty, then?” he demanded.

I raised my voice now, too.  “Does it really count if the person being bitten wants to be?  Because, Jake, I want to be bitten!  I want to be changed.”  Then I softly added,  “It’s the only way.  I love him more than anything, Jake.” 

He sat on a large piece of driftwood and put his head in his hands.  I joined him, watching the waves roll onto the shore.  We sat there for a long time in silence.  When I saw his color had returned to normal and his breathing had calmed, I laid my hand on his arm and began to speak, quietly. 

“Jake.  I love you…you know that.  You have been the best friend that I ever could have asked for.  You’re like a brother to me…family.  I had hoped that you loved me enough so that you could get past this…that we could get past this.  But, I need you to know I am going to marry Edward with or without your blessing.  I had hoped you would be the one to give me away.”

Those words incited him again.  “Never!  And that is the problem, Bella….I do love you…too much to give you to that leech!”

I stood up, fighting to hold back my tears.  “Alright then.  I guess I’ve said everything I needed to say.”  And then I walked away.  He didn’t follow me.  But then again, I hadn’t expected him to.

As I reached the parking lot for Jake’s garage, Anna ran out to meet me.  “Not good?” she asked.

I shook my head; tears running silently down my face.  “Nope…Anna, the wedding will be on Saturday.  I hope you will still come...if he lets you.”

“Wouldn’t miss it, Bella,” she said enveloping me in her arms.  I broke down and cried harder now.  “It’s okay, Bella.  He will get over it.  He just needs more time than the rest of us.”

“I had hoped he’d walk me down the aisle since my dad is gone,” I said, wiping at my tears.

She nodded, not knowing what to say. 

“I’ll let you know the wedding location and time as soon as everything is set,” I said, giving her one more quick squeeze before leaving.

I started the car and turned on to the dirt road.  The car seemed to be driving itself…right to Seth’s house.  He was outside hacking down weeds when I pulled up.  As soon as he noticed it was me, ran over to the car and greeted me with a huge, happy grin.  “Bella!  To what do I owe this honor?”

“Jacob!  He’s being an unreasonable idiot!”  I fumed, slamming my car door.

“Hmm…let me guess.  This having anything to do with Edward?” 

I nodded angrily. 

“I figured as much.  He’s been in a crappy mood all week.  Did something happen today to make it worse?”  He ran his hands through his long brown hair, awaiting my answer.

“I went to talk to him… to let him know that Edward and I are getting married on Saturday.  I wanted him to walk me down the aisle.”

“Oh geeze.  I bet that went over REAL well,” he joked.

I snorted. “Yeah…” 

“Come ‘ere, Bella.”  Seth took me into a brotherly hug.  “We’ve always been close.  If you’d like, I’d be happy to walk you down the aisle.”

A tear rolled down my cheek.  “You’d do that for me, Seth?”

“Absolutely.”

“Jake will kill you, you know.”

“Nah.  I’m not worried about it.  Just tell me where and when to show up and I’ll be there.  I’ll even wear a monkey suit,” he laughed.

“Thanks, Seth.  This really means a lot to me.  I’ll let you know the details as soon as I can.  Alice has been working on plans all day.  That’s where I’m headed right now - to the Cullens’ house,” I told him as I opened my car door.

He gave me a kiss on the cheek.  “Jacob is just a little glitch in your plans, Bella.  Don’t let him ruin this for you.  He will get over this in time.”

“That’s exactly what Anna said, too.  But I’m not so sure, Seth.  You didn’t see him.”

“Stop…really it’s not like you told him that Edward was changing you into a vampire, Bella.  You just told him you’re getting married.” 

I stared at him.

“Oh…oh…oh *edited by mod* That’s what you told him?” He asked in disbelief.

I nodded.

“Aw, man,” he said shaking his head.  “Are you sure, Bella?  Are you sure that’s what you want?”

I nodded again.  “It’s the only way it could ever work, Seth.  You know that.”

He stared at me for a minute, and then nodded his head.  Taking a deep breath he said, “You’re right.  I can’t see any other way it could really work either.”

“Thank you, Seth,” I said, hugging him.

He patted me on the back.  “Nothing to thank me for.  You can’t change who or what you love.  You need to be with him.  I’ve known that forever.  Vampire or not, Jake won’t be able to stay mad at you.  He loves you almost as much as he loves Anna.”

I smiled, still not holding out hope for Jake.  “I’ll call you soon,” I shouted from the car window as I drove away. 

Chapter 15

Edward found Everything Vintage quickly, so quickly in fact that it hadn’t even opened for the day. The “Closed” sign hung in the window with the hours of operation written neatly below. They wouldn’t be open for another half hour so Edward suggested that I get a real breakfast. I had spotted a McDonald’s on the way and had him head over to the drive-thru. He ordered a sausage biscuit and a cup of hot chocolate for me, and then pulled around to the window to pick it up. A pretty, young blonde slid open the window to collect his money and hand him the bag. She smiled brightly at Edward and almost dropped the change as she handed it back to him. I sighed. It had been a while since Edward and I had been out in public and I would once again have to get used to his good looks turning females’ heads to mush.

Edward drove back toward the store and parked on the street while I ate my deliciously greasy sandwich. He looked over at me and laughed at my expression. “Is it really that good? Because honestly it looks truly revolting.”

“It’s one of my favorite junk food indulgences. Do you want to try a taste?” He made a face and nodded his head. “Chicken,” I teased.

“Not chicken, just choosy. There is only one thing in this car that would appeal to my tastes. Unfortunately, that would be you.”

I stopped chewing and stared at him. He sensed that he had shocked me and began to speak again. “Sorry, Love. That was uncalled for. It’s just that you smell so good from the rain that my thinking is a little clouded.”

“Should I get out of the car now? Are you in pain?”

He took my hand, “No, no. It’s not bad. I just hunted recently…I’m not thirsty. Your scent is just so… intoxicating.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. I love it,” he said, kissing my wrist.

“So, I am still your drug of choice?” I laughed, remembering a similar discussion.

“You are exactly my brand of heroin.” The precise words I had remembered him saying to me so many years ago.

I finished up my breakfast and gathered my garbage to be thrown out. The shopkeeper had turned the sign to “Open” and turned on all the lights. “Do you want to wait here or come with me?” I asked.

“Alice will kill me if she knows I saw your gown. Isn’t that against tradition, anyway?”

“Edward, we are far from the traditional couple!” I said, laughing.

“I still don’t think we should tempt the fates,” he replied.

I browsed through the store while Edward waited in the car. It was a tiny shop, overflowing with treasures wherever I looked. A pretty, auburn haired woman polished a silver teapot behind the counter and looked up as I made my way around the obstacle course of items she had displayed. “Can I help you find something?”

“Yes, my friend told me that you carried wedding dresses.”

“You must be Bella, ” she said smiling.

“I am…did Alice tell you I’d be coming?”

“She did.” She reached out to shake my hand. “My name is Penelope. I have the dress hanging in the back. Follow me.”

I wove my way to the back of the store, praying that I wouldn’t fall over some near priceless antique. I still wasn’t the poster child for gracefulness. I was a little worried that Alice had sent me to an antique shop. I really couldn’t picture myself in some old, elaborate gown. What if I hated it? Alice would be so upset.

Penelope led me into the changing room and told me to wait there while she got the gown. I sat on one of the pink velvet chairs while I waited for her to return. The room was small but lovely. It had mirrors on three walls; the fourth was wallpapered with pink and cream roses. Two side windows brought in light through the ivory lace curtains. It was very feminine and I wistfully wished I had a female here to share this moment with me…the moment I tried on a wedding gown for the first time.

“Here it is,” Penelope said, carrying in the gown. It was enclosed in an opaque garment bag so I couldn’t see it at first. Penelope quickly removed its protective covering and held it out for me to view.

“Oh!” I breathed, putting my hand over my mouth. “It’s beautiful.”

“Would you like to try it on?” she asked, smiling.

“Yes… please. I’d love to.”

She took the white satin gown from the hanger and helped me slide into the silky smooth fabric. Then, she effortlessly zipped me into the dress. Alice had been right…the dress was a perfect fit. She placed a small headpiece and veil onto my head and spun me around to face one of the mirrors.

My eyes welled with tears as I stared at myself in the mirror. It was absolutely perfect. “Anne Shirley. I look just like Anne Shirley! ” I finally said aloud, wiping away a lone tear.

She laughed, “You are very observant! This is the very dress that Megan Follows wore in the production of Anne of Green Gables. I recently acquired it by auction. Do you like it?”

“I love it!”

“I’m glad. I loved it when I first saw it, too…and it looks lovely on you. Shall I get it ready for you to take with you or would you like it delivered?”

“I’ll be taking it with me,” I said, handing her my VISA card.

“That won’t be necessary. It’s already been paid for,” she said, smiling.

“Who… Alice?” I asked full well knowing it had to have been.

Penelope was still smiling. “She’s a great friend!”

“Yes,” I said, smiling back, “and soon to be my sister-in-law.”

Edward had the trunk open when I got to the car. “Do you like Alice’s gift?”

“You are all ridiculously generous. I certainly could have paid for my own gown. As a matter of fact…”

“Bella…” he interrupted, “let Alice be Alice. Enjoy your gift and stop worrying about money…that’s something you don’t ever have to worry about again.” He kissed my cheek.

I let out a deep breath. I did tend to forget just how wealthy the Cullens were. I didn’t know exactly how much money Edward had, but I knew that it was quite a lot. That would take some getting used to.

On the way home I got to thinking about Jacob. I really needed to let him know about the wedding. That was a scary thought given our last conversation. But I needed to get this settled. I needed him to accept Edward and me being together. I needed to feel I wasn’t losing him as my friend. But mostly, I needed him to walk me down the aisle.

“Edward, could you drop me off at La Push?”

“Hmm…have some things to settle with Jacob?” he asked.

“Yes... he was really upset last night. I need to make things right with him. I want him to give me away to you on Saturday.”

“Oh, Bella. That is not going to be easy for him. You know how he feels about me. Why are you setting yourself up for heartache?”

He knows how I feel about you. I need to try to talk some reason into him. You can just drop me off at the borderline and I’ll walk to his garage. It’s just a few miles down from the border.”

“Don’t be silly, Bella. You take the car. I can run home, ” he said.

“OK. Or, you could wait for me. I won’t be too long,”

“No. You take as much time as you need. Alice will be happy to get me working on the wedding plans. Just come up to the house when you’re finished.” He pulled up to the borderline and put the car in park. He turned and kissed me deeply. “If you need me to come and get you…for whatever reason, call me.”

“Edward, I’ll be fine. Don’t worry about me. I’m more worried about you being alone with Alice,” I laughed.

He rolled his eyes. “Yes. I’m sure she’s feeling a great deal of pressure with the wedding coming in three days. Maybe we should just elope?”

“And risk her wrath? Oooh, no!” I said.

We both laughed and I kissed him once more before he got out of the car. I watched him walk into the forest and then saw a streak of light go through the trees…he was running.

I drove the five minute drive to Jacob’s garage, trying not to think about how the upcoming conversation might go. I was nervous enough…no need to put myself into a complete panic attack.

Pulling into the gravel lot, I saw Jacob’s pick-up parked on the side of the garage. I pulled along side of his truck and slowly walked to the front of the garage. Anna was working in the office so I decided to go and see her first.

“Hi, Bella,” she greeted me cheerfully.

“Hey, Anna. How are things?”

“Hmm…ok. Jake’s in a mood though,” she grimaced.

“Still?”

She nodded. “He’s mad about your …um….situation. And he’s mad that he lost it with you last night. He was sooo angry last night. I swore he was going to phase right in our living room.”

“Did he phase at all?”

“No, but he did put a decent size hole through my wall,” she said.

“I’m sorry, Anna.”

“Don’t be. I told him that he needs to grow up. You can’t help what you feel. I told him you imprinted on Edward years ago. This is your destiny.”

“What did he say to that?”

“Hasn’t talked to me since,” she laughed. “It’s ok, he’ll get over it.”

“Or not. What I say to him today is probably just going to add fuel to his fire. But, really, please don’t argue with Jake, at least not about Edward and me.”

She looked at me for a moment. “You’re going to marry him, aren’t you? Is that what you’re here to tell Jacob?”

I nodded. “I love him.”

She came around the counter and hugged me. “I know you do, Bella. And for all it’s worth…I’m happy for you.” She nudged me towards the entrance to the garage. “Good luck.”

I didn’t see Jake at first, until I noticed his feet sticking out from under an ancient jalopy.

I kicked his boot and called out to him. “Jake?”

He didn’t answer. “Jake, I need to talk to you.” I said a little louder.

“Hmm?” He grumbled.

“I’d kind of like to see you when I am talking to you,” I said.

He rolled out from under the car, but didn’t stand. He stared at me without saying a word.

“Thanks.”

He nodded. Why was he so darn difficult? I crouched down next to him. “Do you have some time to talk?” I asked. “I thought maybe we could take a walk down to the beach.”

He finally stood and headed over to the sink to wash his grimy hands. I was obviously getting the silent treatment. So… that’s how we walked until we got to the beach, in complete silence. He finally turned to me then and began to speak.

“I don’t know what you want me to say,” he started with an agitated tone. “I hate that he’s come between us again. I hate knowing I hurt you last night. But, Bella, I just can’t help the way I feel about him.”

“Neither can I. Jake, if I told you to stop loving Anna could you do it?”

“It’s not the same, Bella. Anna and I are soul mates. I imprinted on her.”

“Could you do it?” I questioned him again.

“No…of course not…”

I cut him off. “Well that’s how it is with Edward and me. I love him. Jake, you know I’ve always loved him. He has always owned my heart. I cannot be without him again. I shouldn’t have to be.”

He continued to walk down the beach without looking at me.

“Jacob, I’m going to marry him…on Saturday.” My heart was beating wildly in anticipation of his reaction.

He stopped abruptly. His face turned a dark shade of red and his fists clenched down close to his sides. He was so angry that his whole body shook. “You can’t! Are you crazy, Bella? He’s a frickin’ blood-sucking vampire. You can’t have a normal relationship with him. Do you have a death wish?”

“Don’t be ridiculous.” I said calmly.

He turned me around to face him, holding me by my arms. “Me? I’m the one being ridiculous? You will never truly be able to live as husband and wife. Never! Do you understand what I am saying? You’ll never be able to consummate your marriage. For God’s sake, he’d kill you,” he yelled.

“That is truly none of your business! But even if it were, you know that I won’t always be this fragile, Jake,” I said harshly.

He let out a horrible growl then, interpreting correctly the meaning of what I had said. “Oh, so that’s the plan? And just when is that going to happen?” he snarled.

“I don’t know. We haven’t really discussed a time frame. Soon though…”

“So, the bloodsucker is going to break the treaty, then?” he demanded.

I raised my voice now, too. “Does it really count if the person being bitten wants to be? Because, Jake, I want to be bitten! I want to be changed.” Then I softly added, “It’s the only way. I love him more than anything, Jake.”

He sat on a large piece of driftwood and put his head in his hands. I joined him, watching the waves roll onto the shore. We sat there for a long time in silence. When I saw his color had returned to normal and his breathing had calmed, I laid my hand on his arm and began to speak, quietly.

“Jake. I love you…you know that. You have been the best friend that I ever could have asked for. You’re like a brother to me…family. I had hoped that you loved me enough so that you could get past this…that we could get past this. But, I need you to know I am going to marry Edward with or without your blessing. I had hoped you would be the one to give me away.”

Those words incited him again. “Never! And that is the problem, Bella….I do love you…too much to give you to that leech!”

I stood up, fighting to hold back my tears. “Alright then. I guess I’ve said everything I needed to say.” And then I walked away. He didn’t follow me. But then again, I hadn’t expected him to.

As I reached the parking lot for Jake’s garage, Anna ran out to meet me. “Not good?” she asked.

I shook my head; tears running silently down my face. “Nope…Anna, the wedding will be on Saturday. I hope you will still come...if he lets you.”

“Wouldn’t miss it, Bella,” she said enveloping me in her arms. I broke down and cried harder now. “It’s okay, Bella. He will get over it. He just needs more time than the rest of us.”

“I had hoped he’d walk me down the aisle since my dad is gone,” I said, wiping at my tears.

She nodded, not knowing what to say.

“I’ll let you know the wedding location and time as soon as everything is set,” I said, giving her one more quick squeeze before leaving.

I started the car and turned on to the dirt road. The car seemed to be driving itself…right to Seth’s house. He was outside hacking down weeds when I pulled up. As soon as he noticed it was me, ran over to the car and greeted me with a huge, happy grin. “Bella! To what do I owe this honor?”

“Jacob! He’s being an unreasonable idiot!” I fumed, slamming my car door.

“Hmm…let me guess. This having anything to do with Edward?”

I nodded angrily.

“I figured as much. He’s been in a crappy mood all week. Did something happen today to make it worse?” He ran his hands through his long brown hair, awaiting my answer.

“I went to talk to him… to let him know that Edward and I are getting married on Saturday. I wanted him to walk me down the aisle.”

“Oh geeze. I bet that went over REAL well,” he joked.

I snorted. “Yeah…”

“Come ‘ere, Bella.” Seth took me into a brotherly hug. “We’ve always been close. If you’d like, I’d be happy to walk you down the aisle.”

A tear rolled down my cheek. “You’d do that for me, Seth?”

“Absolutely.”

“Jake will kill you, you know.”

“Nah. I’m not worried about it. Just tell me where and when to show up and I’ll be there. I’ll even wear a monkey suit,” he laughed.

“Thanks, Seth. This really means a lot to me. I’ll let you know the details as soon as I can. Alice has been working on plans all day. That’s where I’m headed right now - to the Cullens’ house,” I told him as I opened my car door.

He gave me a kiss on the cheek. “Jacob is just a little glitch in your plans, Bella. Don’t let him ruin this for you. He will get over this in time.”

“That’s exactly what Anna said, too. But I’m not so sure, Seth. You didn’t see him.”

“Stop…really it’s not like you told him that Edward was changing you into a vampire, Bella. You just told him you’re getting married.”

I stared at him.

“Oh…oh…oh man. That’s what you told him?” He asked in disbelief.

I nodded.

“Aw, man,” he said shaking his head. “Are you sure, Bella? Are you sure that’s what you want?”

I nodded again. “It’s the only way it could ever work, Seth. You know that.”

He stared at me for a minute, and then nodded his head. Taking a deep breath he said, “You’re right. I can’t see any other way it could really work either.”

“Thank you, Seth,” I said, hugging him.

He patted me on the back. “Nothing to thank me for. You can’t change who or what you love. You need to be with him. I’ve known that forever. Vampire or not, Jake won’t be able to stay mad at you. He loves you almost as much as he loves Anna.”

I smiled, still not holding out hope for Jake. “I’ll call you soon,” I shouted from the car window as I drove away.

yay!!!!!!!!!! im sooo happyy! :]

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service