The Twilight Saga

It has been 20 years since Edward left. Bella never stopped loving him.
This story is now complete. Hope you enjoy it.

After All These Years

Setting: 20 years after Edward leaves in New Moon.

Chapter 1

Unlike some people, I loved washing dishes. It was the time that I allowed my mind to wander freely; the time where I replayed the day in my head; the time when I allowed memories to wash over me. Maybe it was the warm water. Maybe it was the feeling of washing everything away. Maybe it was that the window over the sink faced the forest and brought Edward back to my mind each day.

I didn’t push Edward from my mind anymore. The first year after he left, I couldn’t even think of him without clutching myself in physical pain. I couldn’t bear to say his name…couldn’t bear to hear it. But that had changed over the years. I welcomed the memories now. For me, there would never be another love. I knew I had found my one true love as a young woman. I knew Edward was the only piece that could complete me. Twenty years later, I still loved him.

Tonight, Edward was so clear in my mind. Jacob and his family had surprised me with a birthday cake. It was the first birthday since Charlie had died and they didn’t want me to be alone. I preferred to skip over birthday celebrations. Like most women, the thought of getting older was offensive, but for me birthdays also signified the end. The end of Edward and me-----the memory of my eighteenth birthday party at the Cullen’s was one of my blackest memories.

Jake and I remained best friends all these years. He imprinted on Anna when he was nineteen and they were married shortly after. Life had changed for Jacob after the Cullens left Forks. He no longer shape shifted. There was no need. Once in a great while, he would tell me that he smelled a sweet smell in the air, warning me to be careful. I think he thought it would scare me. It never did. I only hoped that meant that an old friend was passing by, or more importantly, Edward was near.

As I washed and dried the last plate, I replayed Jacob’s last words to me tonight. “Lock up good tonight, Bells. I smell a strong sweetness in the air.” He had no idea how I wished that were true.

I hung the dishtowel to dry and went out on the back stoop, staring at the forest. It was dark, but it didn’t scare me. Before turning in for the night I spoke out loud, “Good night, Edward. I love you.”

Chapter 2

I still kept the bedroom at the top of the stairs. I had repainted and gotten new furniture along the years. But in all those years, I never replaced the mattress. It was there that we talked for hours; there that he held me, and that we kissed. It was worn now, and honestly my back would most definitely benefit from a new mattress. I just couldn’t part with it.

I got ready for bed and turned on the bedside lamp. I opened my window a crack, like I had every night since he left. Then I took out my journal. I always wrote in it on nights that I felt particularly preoccupied with memories. I learned years ago that writing my thoughts down would often ward off the nightmares I had so often. Somehow I wasn’t sure it would help tonight. My journal, like anything else about my life, was not a typical journal. I actually wrote letters to Edward. I had filled over a dozen blank books with letters to him. Maybe someday, when I was gone, he would read them and understand the depth of my love for him. He would know that I figured out why he really left and that I eventually forgave him. Tonight was a night I knew I needed to write to him. And so I began…

My Dearest Edward,
I’ve missed you so much today. It’s my birthday. I turned thirty-eight today. That means it is almost 20 years to the day since you’ve been gone. I never would have believed that I would be without you after all these years. On days like today, I still feel the hole in my chest. I know it was your love for me that allowed you to leave. But, I wonder, do you still think of me? I love you, Edward...as much now as ever before.

I stopped there because tears were making it difficult to write. I cried myself softly to sleep.

Shortly afterwards, the nightmare began. It was always the same when it came. Wandering in the forest. Calling out his name. Crying. Never finding him. Feeling so alone. And then…waking up in a cold sweat, sobbing for what I would never have again.
I tried to calm myself, counting my breaths, in and out.

Then I heard his voice, “Bella.”

I sat upright and looked around the room. It was empty, of course. But, I didn’t feel alone in the room. Oh, God. Tonight was particularly bad. I was having delusions again. It was years since I had heard the delusions this clearly. I tried to concentrate harder. Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in…

I felt a cool breeze in the room and instinctively pulled the blanket higher to my chin.

“Edward?” I whispered into the dark room.

Table of Contents
Clickable Links

Chapters 1 & 2- on header of each page
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14

Chapter 15 -This is not clickable....look for it near p. 34

Chapter 16

Chapter 17

Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21

Views: 8085

Replies to This Discussion

Chapter 7

Edward took off his sweatshirt and spread it on the ground for me to sit on. I sat down cross-legged and rested my head in my hands. My thoughts? Where did I even begin? I shook my head.

Edward sat facing me, trying to give me some time to sort things through. “We don’t have to talk anymore tonight, if you’re too tired, Bella. You haven’t had a lot of time to process all of this. You can have all the time you need.”

I looked up at him. I was tired. In fact, I was outright exhausted, not just because of how late it was, but because of the barrage of emotions I had been through the past few hours. I really didn’t feel like talking anymore, especially since it was apparently my turn. I knew he loved me and that was all that really mattered. What I really wanted to do now was crawl into Edward’s lap and just fall asleep in his arms. But a part of me worried, if I fell asleep, would he really still be here when I awoke?

“Edward,” I spoke softly, “I’m not going to pretend to know what all of this means. All I can tell you is that I love you more than anything in this entire world…I’ve never stopped loving you. Is that enough for tonight?”

“It’s enough for forever.” He answered emotionally, gently kissing my forehead.

I lay my head down in his lap. His hand softly stroked my hair away from my face. For the first time in years, I felt perfectly and blissfully content. Edward was back and he wanted me. He still loved me…after all these years. I didn’t know what our future would hold, or even what tomorrow would bring……..

I flinched. Something was tickling my cheek. I swiped my hand across my cheek and tried to convince my eyes to open. It was so bright.

“Good morning, sleeping beauty.” A voice whispered.

I blinked in the sunlight, trying to gain focus as Edward’s face came into view. I smiled. “You’re here.” I said and then softly gasped. “ Oh, I forgot how beautiful you are in the sun.” His skin shimmered and rainbows danced around him.

“Do I still dazzle you?” he laughed.

I smiled sitting up, “Completely.”

I couldn’t even begin to imagine what I looked like after sleeping on the ground all night. I was stiff, hungry and really needed a bathroom. “Edward, I need some human amenities. Do you think we could head home?”

“Sure. You ready for a morning run?” he asked tying his sweatshirt around his waist.

I nodded and without hesitation, he tossed me up on his back. I wasn’t taking any chances, so I shut my eyes tightly once again. I held on strongly and he began to run. I loved the feel of my body pressed against him. I nuzzled my face into his cold, hard back and softly placed a kiss there. My heart sputtered in reaction to where my thoughts were leading.

I felt us slow up and finally opened my eyes. He was walking now and I could hear the sounds of the highway. I lightly rubbed my hands down the length his back, feeling the definition of his body. I retraced my movements then slowly ran my hands up and down the length of his arms, I felt him shudder. “Careful, Bella,” he said grabbing me gently and standing me upright.

I didn’t want to be careful. And I said so, “No!”

“No?” he questioned.

“No, Edward. I will not be careful. I’ve been careful for thirty -eight years. Where has being careful gotten me?” I said defiantly. “I finally have you back and let me tell you something, being careful is the last thing on my mind.”

His jaw set in a line and without responding, he grabbed my hand and walked me towards the car. “I will not risk hurting you,” he said seriously.

I laughed an angry laugh, “You’re kidding me right?” I said. And then it was as if the walls all came tumbling down. “Edward, you risked that twenty years ago. You leaving me was the worst hurt I could ever possibly endure.” I could see the pain in his eyes but I couldn’t stop. “Nothing, nothing could ever hurt worse then that did. No physical pain could ever measure up to that.”

“I’m so sorry, Bella. And I’ll spend your entire lifetime trying to make it up to you. I only left because…”

“Stop, Edward.” I interrupted. “I know why you left. And I’m not trying to make you feel guilty. I just know what I want.” I said leaning in close to him.

“I still won’t risk your life.”he said with resolve..

“You’re not risking my life. I am.” I responded. And then I kissed him.
He started to pull back away, but I wasn’t going to have that. I braided my fingers into his hair and held him closer. Pressing my lips more firmly against his. He made a soft growl into my mouth and for a moment kissed me back more deeply before I felt him go unresponsive. He pushed me back gently and took a deep breath.

“What am I going to do with you, Bella?” he asked shaking his head.

“I have some ideas, “I smiled devilishly.

He continued to shake his head as we walked to the car. We drove most of the way in silence, until my cell phone rang. I glanced at the incoming number, confirming my guess that it was Jake.

I flipped the phone open, “Hey.” I said.

“Hey, yourself. I was just at your house. Where are you?” Jacob asked.

“I’m on my way home right now.” I answered.

“Are you alone?” he asked.

“No.”

Jacob groaned. “Bella, what are you doing?”

“Having fun.” I said.

“Let me guess, he wants you back right?”

“Yes.”

“And, you want him?”

“You know that answer, Jake.”

“I don’t like this, Bella.”

“I don’t remember asking you.” I responded.

There was a pause. “You’ll be careful?” he pleaded.

“Oh, for God’s sake. I wish people would stop saying that to me today.” I huffed.

Edward chuckled, obviously hearing both sides of the conversation.

“Let me talk to him.” Jake said roughly.

I handed the phone to Edward.

“What can I do for you, Jake?” Edward asked businesslike.

“Just wanted to remind you that you are still under a treaty.” Jake barked.

“I am well aware of that fact.” Edward answered impatiently. “Anything else?”

“Nope-I think I made my point perfectly clear.” Jake added.

“Crystal.” Edward answered, handing the phone back to me.

“Goodbye, Jake. You know this is not your business, right? I said.

“You will always be my business, Bella,” he answered back.

Then I flipped the phone closed as Edward pulled the car into my driveway.

“We are far from being finished with this ‘being careful’ discussion, Edward.” I warned turning towards him.

He nodded. Gazing into my eyes he squeezed my hand. “Then I would say we have some very serious decisions to make, my love.”

“I agree. But first, I really need a human moment. “ I said rushing out of the car.
its getting interesting cant wait for the next chapter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yay! So happy to see a new post. Lovely and funny. I wonder how it would play out. I wouldn't want to live forever at 38 if I were in love with a perpetual 17 year old but I wouldn't want to live without him either. I can't wait to see what happens next.
*laughing* thats bella
:)
awww i cant wait to see what happens next!
LOVE IT!!!

AMAZING!!!

i NEED more :D:D

xxxxxxx
Another great chapter. Cant wait for the next.
wow that was awesome...no more carefulness for bella....hahaha you go gurl!!!!!!i love your story..keep writing & please keep me updated...tnx!!
Great story. I love it. Please write more. I love what you have done with Bella. She isn't a shy little girl anymore but a woman. Watch out Edward.
Chapter 8

The hot shower did a great job loosening all the little knots of tension I felt in my body. I felt human again. I laughed at that because in reality I wanted to be totally inhuman, immortal. I needed Edward to change me-the sooner the better. The decision was very clear in my mind now. The problem was that I would need to convince Edward that my decision was the right one.

I wrapped the towel around myself and headed for my room. Disappointed that
Edward wasn’t waiting for me in there, I stepped back out into the hall, and called out to him, “Edward?”

“Down here, Bella. You have a visitor.” I heard voices, but couldn’t make out who exactly Edward was talking to. I hurriedly threw on a clean pair of jeans and a new long sleeved t-shirt, sighing. Our discussion would have to wait.

Heading down the stairs I could make out the familiar ring of Alice’s voice. Before I could say a word she ran up and embraced me. “Bella, It’s been way too long.”

Once again I was crying and at a loss for words. She looked so beautiful and so young, that I instantly felt every one of my thirty-eight years.

“Don’t cry, Bella. Everything is going to be ok now. Trust me, “ she said hugging me again.

And I did trust her. I always bet on Alice. I smiled, wiping my tears away. “I have missed you so much.”

“I missed you, too! Here I brought you a little something,” she said handing me a bag.

I groaned. “You didn’t have to bring me anything, Alice.”

“Of course I did. You just had a birthday, and well, your going to need it tonight.”

I was curious now and opened the bag. I reached I and pulled out a beautiful powder blue pashmina shawl. “Oh, Alice, it’s beautiful but why am I going to need it tonight? Where am I going?”

She smiled, kissing me on the cheek, “Just trust me, Bella, ok?” Then turning to Edward, “I need you to have her at the house by 5. Don’t be late.” She said leaving.

I looked at Edward. I was clearly puzzled, which he enjoyed. “Don’t ask me, Bella. I promised Alice, I wouldn’t give you any hints.” he said smiling.

“Now,’ he continued suddenly serious, “I need to take care of a couple of things, too.” He kissed the top of my nose.

“You’re going, too? Why?” My face immediately fell. I didn’t want him to leave. I felt like a spoiled child who had just been told they couldn’t have candy before dinner.

He smoothed the crease between my brows with his finger. “I’ll be back before you know it, ”he said heading towards the door.

“Wait, am I supposed to be dressed a certain way for whatever it is we are doing tonight,“ I asked.

“You are perfect just the way you are, “he said giving me a chaste kiss on the cheek.

I snorted quietly, yeah. Thirty-eight years of perfection, I thought sarcastically.

I set off to occupy myself for the next couple of hours, opening yesterdays mail, starting a load of laundry, washing the plate and cup I had just used this morning. That used up a whole 15 minutes. I needed to do something or I’d throw myself into a panic attack if I let myself imagine what Alice had planned for tonight. Then I knew exactly what I needed to do.
I grabbed my keys and headed out to the car. It was raining lightly now, no big surprise for Forks. The windshield wipers provided the only background noise as I drove to the cemetery. I parked as close as I could to Charlie’s headstone and walked the short way through the wet grass. I outlined the carved letters of his name with my fingertip. I really missed him.

“Hi, Dad.” I said out loud. I didn’t expect any answers. I didn’t believe in ghosts, but I always got the sense he heard me when I spoke to him here.

“You know how you always said that you wanted me to find someone? How you wanted me to happy? Well, I think I have that chance again.” I paused taking a deep breath.

“Now I don’t want you to get all upset about this-so just hear me out, ok? It’s Edward. He’s back. He loves me, Dad. And, well, I know you’ve always known how much I love him.” I stopped again, searching for the right words.

“There was a lot I was never able to tell you about Edward before. Not, that you would have believed me even if I did tell you. You probably know everything now since you’re up there hanging out with your Quileute buddies. I just want you to know that I’m going to have to do something very drastic if I want to have a real life with Edward. Really drastic-you know what I mean. But I want this. I want to be with Edward. OK, Dad?”

The rain had stopped and suddenly I noticed that the sun had peeked through the clouds. And I…I was standing right in a ray of light. I smiled. He was answering me. “Thanks, Dad. I love you.” I said kissing his headstone. I walked back to the car feeling happy and more optimistic than I could ever remember feeling about my future.
aww! that is sooo sweeet!

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service