The Twilight Saga

It has been 20 years since Edward left. Bella never stopped loving him.
This story is now complete. Hope you enjoy it.

After All These Years

Setting: 20 years after Edward leaves in New Moon.

Chapter 1

Unlike some people, I loved washing dishes. It was the time that I allowed my mind to wander freely; the time where I replayed the day in my head; the time when I allowed memories to wash over me. Maybe it was the warm water. Maybe it was the feeling of washing everything away. Maybe it was that the window over the sink faced the forest and brought Edward back to my mind each day.

I didn’t push Edward from my mind anymore. The first year after he left, I couldn’t even think of him without clutching myself in physical pain. I couldn’t bear to say his name…couldn’t bear to hear it. But that had changed over the years. I welcomed the memories now. For me, there would never be another love. I knew I had found my one true love as a young woman. I knew Edward was the only piece that could complete me. Twenty years later, I still loved him.

Tonight, Edward was so clear in my mind. Jacob and his family had surprised me with a birthday cake. It was the first birthday since Charlie had died and they didn’t want me to be alone. I preferred to skip over birthday celebrations. Like most women, the thought of getting older was offensive, but for me birthdays also signified the end. The end of Edward and me-----the memory of my eighteenth birthday party at the Cullen’s was one of my blackest memories.

Jake and I remained best friends all these years. He imprinted on Anna when he was nineteen and they were married shortly after. Life had changed for Jacob after the Cullens left Forks. He no longer shape shifted. There was no need. Once in a great while, he would tell me that he smelled a sweet smell in the air, warning me to be careful. I think he thought it would scare me. It never did. I only hoped that meant that an old friend was passing by, or more importantly, Edward was near.

As I washed and dried the last plate, I replayed Jacob’s last words to me tonight. “Lock up good tonight, Bells. I smell a strong sweetness in the air.” He had no idea how I wished that were true.

I hung the dishtowel to dry and went out on the back stoop, staring at the forest. It was dark, but it didn’t scare me. Before turning in for the night I spoke out loud, “Good night, Edward. I love you.”

Chapter 2

I still kept the bedroom at the top of the stairs. I had repainted and gotten new furniture along the years. But in all those years, I never replaced the mattress. It was there that we talked for hours; there that he held me, and that we kissed. It was worn now, and honestly my back would most definitely benefit from a new mattress. I just couldn’t part with it.

I got ready for bed and turned on the bedside lamp. I opened my window a crack, like I had every night since he left. Then I took out my journal. I always wrote in it on nights that I felt particularly preoccupied with memories. I learned years ago that writing my thoughts down would often ward off the nightmares I had so often. Somehow I wasn’t sure it would help tonight. My journal, like anything else about my life, was not a typical journal. I actually wrote letters to Edward. I had filled over a dozen blank books with letters to him. Maybe someday, when I was gone, he would read them and understand the depth of my love for him. He would know that I figured out why he really left and that I eventually forgave him. Tonight was a night I knew I needed to write to him. And so I began…

My Dearest Edward,
I’ve missed you so much today. It’s my birthday. I turned thirty-eight today. That means it is almost 20 years to the day since you’ve been gone. I never would have believed that I would be without you after all these years. On days like today, I still feel the hole in my chest. I know it was your love for me that allowed you to leave. But, I wonder, do you still think of me? I love you, Edward...as much now as ever before.

I stopped there because tears were making it difficult to write. I cried myself softly to sleep.

Shortly afterwards, the nightmare began. It was always the same when it came. Wandering in the forest. Calling out his name. Crying. Never finding him. Feeling so alone. And then…waking up in a cold sweat, sobbing for what I would never have again.
I tried to calm myself, counting my breaths, in and out.

Then I heard his voice, “Bella.”

I sat upright and looked around the room. It was empty, of course. But, I didn’t feel alone in the room. Oh, God. Tonight was particularly bad. I was having delusions again. It was years since I had heard the delusions this clearly. I tried to concentrate harder. Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in…

I felt a cool breeze in the room and instinctively pulled the blanket higher to my chin.

“Edward?” I whispered into the dark room.

Table of Contents
Clickable Links

Chapters 1 & 2- on header of each page
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14

Chapter 15 -This is not clickable....look for it near p. 34

Chapter 16

Chapter 17

Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21

Views: 8083

Replies to This Discussion

Well-I think the main difference is that Jake once was in love with Bella. He is also the one that put Bella back together. Jake is also an Alpha to the pack so he wants the treaty to be upheld. I'm not sure Jacob would think anyone was good enough for Bella! Plus Seth thinks Edward is pretty cool, too!
I AGREE! Jake was in love with Bella and had to put her back together.
I love this story! I love Esme! I have to say I was hurt when renee said she could not come to the wedding - but true to story line! Great STUFF!

Thank you!!!
Just read everything I missed. I love Seth, he's got such a kind heart. Jake can be to stubborn for his own good sometimes. But I'm glad Edward and Bella will finally get to be together- I just hope nothing gets in the way. Please post more soon- I love reading this story, it's very original.
Loved every single chapter. Voted for you for the next fanfic best ever story. Hope you get to finish this as soon as possible. I can't wait to read the end. But I am like a lot of you, I read too fast cause I want to hurry to the next chapters.
I'm holding on to my patience here until I can read more.
You are awesome...Thanks!!
when r u gona post more?
please write tonight!!! i will love you forever!!!!! haha
cool i like it
Please write more!
OMG, I LOVE THIS STORY, KEEP WRITTING, PLEASE

Chapter 16

It was past lunchtime by the time I got back into Forks and I was starving. I stopped at my house for a quick sandwich before I headed over to Edward’s. As I ate, I dialed Renee’s phone number, hoping I would catch her at home so that I could tell her my good news. The phone rang several times before her answering machine clicked on telling me to leave a message.

“Hi, Mom. It’s me. I have some really big news to share with you. Call me as soon as you get this message. I’ll have my cell phone on, too. Love you!”

I hung up and dialed the bookstore. Angela answered cheerfully, “Bella’s Books. How can I help you today?”

“Hi, Angela. It’s me. How are things going at the store?” I asked.

“A little slow today, but it’s a Wednesday, so nothing unusual about that. How are the wedding plans going?”

“I’m about to see Alice, so I’ll know soon. But, I wanted to ask you if your dad would be willing to perform the ceremony on Saturday.”

“I asked him already and he’d be happy to officiate the ceremony, Bella. Do you want to be married right at the church?”

“No, I don’t think so. The weather is supposed to be beautiful this weekend. Surprisingly, the weatherman predicted Saturday to be warm and rain free…a rare combination here in September. I thought maybe we’d have the ceremony outside. Of course, Alice…”

She laughed, “I hear you. Alice might have different plans.”

“Ang, honestly, I’m a little scared to go over there today.”

She laughed again. “If you need my help, I can come over after I close the store up for the night.”

“OK, I’ll call you and let you know. Thanks. Oh, and put up a sign in the window saying that the bookstore will be closed on Saturday.”

“What did you two decide about a honeymoon?” Angela questioned.

“Another one of the things we’ve yet to discuss, “ I said.

“One thing at a time…it will all work out.”

“I know. Thanks for saying it, though. I’ll talk to you soon,” I said, hanging up.

I looked around at my little house. I wondered where we would live…here in my little house or up at the Cullen’s house? There were positives to both locations, I guess. My house was private and Edward and I could live alone…pro. Edward’s house was lavishly beautiful with every amenity a woman could want…pro. I wondered what Edward would prefer. Hmm…something else to discuss.

I packed myself some dinner to eat later and headed over to Edward’s. I was lost in wedding ideas when my cell phone started to vibrate in my pocket. I glanced quickly at the caller id to see that it was Renee returning my call. I pulled over on the shoulder of the road so that I could talk to her without having to navigate the winding curves of the highway.

“Hi, Mom,” I answered.

“Hi, Bella. Oh, it’s so good to hear your voice. I miss you, Honey.”

“I miss you too, Mom. Hopefully we can see each other very soon…like how about Saturday?”

“Saturday? What do you have up your sleeve, Bella?”

“I’m getting married, Mom!”

“Married?” She let out a screech of happiness. “Oh my gosh, Bella…to who?”

“Edward…he’s back, Mom, and we love each other. The past few days have been a whirlwind but we don’t want to wait any longer. We got the marriage license this morning. Angela’s dad will marry us on Saturday.”

“Oh, Bella. Oh, honey…I’m so happy for you both. Edward…who would have thought?”

“So, Mom, can you come? I’ll order the tickets online for you and Phil tonight.”

“Baby, I wish I could but I’m in running a charity function down here on Saturday night. I’m so sorry. It’s just such short notice and I’ve been working on this for months.”

“It’s OK, Mom. We’ll be sure to take lots of pictures.” I tried to hide my disappointment from her.

“Maybe you can come down and visit me for a while. It’s been a while since you were in Florida. The sun will do you both some good.” she said.

“Sure, we’ll try to do that soon. I love you, Mom.”

“I love you too, Bella. Tell Edward I’m so happy for you both.”

When we disconnected, I continued on my way to the Cullen house. I wondered when or if I really would be able to see Renee again. Everything was dependent on “the change” and how I reacted to it. I knew that once I became a vampire, I would have to leave Forks behind for a while…maybe for good. Should I sell the house…close the bookstore? These were more topics to discuss with Edward.

There were four cars parked out in front of the house when I arrived at the house. I recognized Edward’s black Corvette ZR1, Alice’s yellow Ferrari California and Carlisle’s Mercedes. I didn’t recognize the silver Hummer, though. Hmmm…company?

I heard laughter as I stepped up onto the porch to ring the bell. Edward was at the door before my finger had time to press the button. He greeted me with my favorite smile.
“You have some people here to see you,” he said, leading me into the house.

I was puzzled. “I do? Who?” I scanned the room, which was empty of people and of voices now.

“Me!” a booming voice said, as I was lifted in the air from behind.

“Emmett!”

He turned me to face him, hugging me in midair. “Hey, Bella you look great! Man, I’m glad Edward finally came to his senses.”

I laughed. “Yeah, me too! Where have you been?”

“Rose and I were still in Africa with Jasper. We were waiting to see what happened between the two of you before we headed back to the states.”

“Are they both here with you? “

“Rosalie’s here,” he said, glancing at Edward.

“Not Jasper?” I looked at Edward now, too.

“No,” Edward answered. “We figured it was best not to take any chances before you were changed.”

“Oh, Edward. I’m sure everything would be fine. Jasper shouldn’t have to miss his brother’s wedding or be away from Alice for so long.”

“It was both of our decisions. He couldn’t risk ruining our chance for happiness this time. And I…well, Bella I can’t take any chances this time either. I can’t lose you,” he said seriously, looking me in the eyes.

“Hi, Bella,” Rosalie’s voice broke through the moment.

“Hi, Rose,” I said, turning to face her. She was still as stunning as ever, and still just as young. Come to think of it Emmett looked just the same, too. Neither of them had changed one bit. How would we handle that at the wedding?

Rosalie had never liked me and I instantly felt the tension take root in my body from just being in the same room with her. To be perfectly honest I would have rather taken my chances with Jasper and had him attend the wedding than have Rose here. Rose had not been quiet about her feelings for me in the past and from the glare she was giving me, I was fairly sure her feelings hadn’t softened much over the years.

“Rosalie has offered to play the piano for the wedding ceremony,” Edward said, pulling me close to his side.

“Oh…thanks, Rose.”

“You’re welcome,” she said flatly.

Alice and Edward’s parents came into the room then. “There’s our beautiful bride,” Esme said, coming to hug me.

“I get her now,” Alice claimed, pulling me out of Esme’s arms and leading me into the dining room. “We can’t afford to waste any time on anything that is not wedding related and there are a lot of decisions that still have to be made tonight.”

Edward followed us and mouthed, “I’m sorry.”

I was actually relieved that Alice had taken me a distance away from Rosalie. I could already feel the uncomfortable sensations dissipate.

Alice had paperwork spread out all over their table. “I have a million questions that you need to answer tonight so that all of the plans can be finalized by tomorrow. So let me just go down my list of questions and get them checked off one by one.”

I nodded and looked at Edward, who was smiling in amusement at his sister. “Alice, I told you today, Bella and I could just elope and make your life a whole lot easier.”

She glared at him. “I’m going to pretend you never said that, Edward. You will cooperate with me! This will be the wedding Bella deserves!”

I held back a snicker and squeezed Edward’s hand. Alice was clearly in crisis planning mode.

“OK, first…Bella, did you speak with Angela’s father? Is he willing to perform the ceremony?”

“I spoke to Angela just before I came here. Reverend Weber will definitely be able to officiate.”

“Good,” she said, dramatically putting a check next to the first item on the list. “Next… have you decided on the location?”

Edward and I looked at each other. “How about here at the house, Bella? We could have a moonlight garden wedding.”

“That sounds perfect, Edward. Alice, do you think you can work with that?”

“Absolutely,” she said, smiling for the first time tonight. “That will make things easy on me, since Esme’s perennial garden is in full bloom. Can you believe that the flowers have still been blooming every year? Now then,” she continued pushing a piece of paper over towards Edward and me, “the guest list. I came up with a preliminary list that I’d like you to take a look at. Then we’ll just address the invitations and you and Edward can deliver them tonight.”

I moved the paper between Edward and me so that we could read the list at the same time.

Bella and Edward

Renee and Phil
Carlisle and Esme
Angela and Ben
Emmett and Rose
Jessica and Mike
Alice
Jacob and Anna
Tanya, Kate, and Irina
Seth, Leah and Sue
Carmen and Eleazar
Sam and Emily
Quil and Claire
Embry

I was impressed. Alice had known to keep the list small. “This looks good but I have some names to cross out,” I said. “I spoke with my mom today and she can’t make it, so Renee and Phil are out. Jacob won’t be there, and honestly I’m not sure the rest of the pack will either, with the exception of Seth that is.”

Edward looked at me with concern. “It’s been a hard day for you, hasn’t it?”

“I’m OK…I have you, don’t I?” I smiled and gave him a quick kiss before looking back at Alice.

“Well, we’ll invite them and let them decide for themselves,” she said.

“Alice…I really don’t want to go back to the Rez tonight to deliver those.”

“Do you think Seth would pick up the invitations and deliver them for you?” Alice asked.

“I could ask,” I said, flipping open my cell phone.

Seth answered on the second ring. “Hey, Bella…you got some news for me?”

“Yep, we’re just putting together the invitations. Are you doing anything Saturday night at 7:00?”

“Just givin’ away the prettiest woman in Forks.” I could tell by his voice that he was smiling that great big smile of his. “Where’s it gonna be?” he asked.

“At Edward’s house. Are you going to be OK with that?”

“This is your day, Bells. I’ll be OK with whatever you decide.”

“Seth…Could you do me one more huge favor?”

“Anything, Bella. Just ask.”

“Would you be willing to pick up the invitations and deliver them to the pack tonight?”

“Sure…I can deliver them to everybody you’re inviting if you’d like. I’m just sittin’ here anyway.”

I looked at Alice. She had heard what he said and was nodding her head “yes.”

“That’d be great, Seth. What time can you be here?”

“I’ll be there in an hour.”

“K…bye Seth.” I closed my phone and Alice handed me a simple, elegant invitation. It was white with gold lettering that read:

Isabella Marie Swan
and
Edward Anthony Cullen
Joyfully invite you to share
In their happiness
As they unite in marriage
This Saturday, September 21, 2025
At seven o’clock in the evening
Cullen Residence
Forks, Washington
Regrets only 360-555-1717

“It’s perfect, Alice. Thank you.”

Edward smiled over to Alice, “Told you she’d like them.”

Alice called Esme and Carlisle in to start addressing the envelopes so that Alice could continue down her list. Emmett would run to Denali later tonight and deliver the invitations to the Denali Coven.

“Edward has asked Carlisle to be his best man at the wedding. Have you chosen a maid or matron of honor yet, Bella?” Esme sweetly asked me.

I was torn. On one hand I really wanted to ask Alice, but on the other hand, Angela had been my best female friend for the last twenty years. How in the world would Angela even get a dress on such short notice, though? Alice, I was sure, would have an assortment of dresses in her closet she could wear for the occasion. As if reading my mind, Alice interrupted my thoughts. “Bella, I really think you should ask Angela. She has been a very good friend to you over the years. And, I found the perfect dress for her this afternoon. If you call her and ask her before Seth gets here, he can take it over to her when he delivers the invitation.”

I smiled at her. “You are really something, Alice. Do you know that? Oh, my gosh… I almost forgot, thank you for my dress. You were right as usual…it is exactly right!” I went around the table to hug her.

If she could blush, I think she would have. Her eyes sparkled like topaz gemstones and her smile lit up the room. “I just want everything to be perfect for the two of you.”

I went out on the back porch to call Angela. The sun was starting to set and the sky glowed shades of pink, purple and red. What a gorgeous evening. I leaned on the porch rail and dialed Angela’s number for the second time that day.

“Hi, Angela. I hope I’m not bothering you.”

“Stop, you are never a bother. I’ve actually been waiting to see if you needed me to save you from Alice the Wedding Planner,” she laughed.

I laughed too. “She’s fine really. I actually was calling about something else. Ang, would you be my matron of honor?”

“Oh…Bella, really? I thought you might ask Alice. Oh…I’d be honored. Thank you!”

“I should be the one thanking you! Alice picked up a dress for you today. Seth can bring it over for you when he brings your invitation tonight.”

“Geeze, she does think of everything, doesn’t she?”

“She is amazing,” I agreed, and then filled her in on some sketchy details about Jake. There were a lot of holes in my story, but once again in true Angela form, she took my story for what it was. She got the gist of the story…Jacob did not want me to marry Edward and would not be attending the wedding.

“I can’t believe he’d miss your wedding, Bella. I just can’t see it. He’ll be there… watch.”

“You are such an optimist, Angela! Anyway, call me after you try on the dress and let me know what you think.” We said our goodbyes and disconnected.

The door to the house slid open and I turned to see Rosalie walk out on the porch. “Can I talk to you for a minute, Bella?”

“Um…OK,” I stammered.

“Let’s go for a walk,” Rosalie said, stepping off the porch stairs.
I'm loving your story! Well written!

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service