The Twilight Saga

It has been 20 years since Edward left. Bella never stopped loving him.
This story is now complete. Hope you enjoy it.

After All These Years

Setting: 20 years after Edward leaves in New Moon.

Chapter 1

Unlike some people, I loved washing dishes. It was the time that I allowed my mind to wander freely; the time where I replayed the day in my head; the time when I allowed memories to wash over me. Maybe it was the warm water. Maybe it was the feeling of washing everything away. Maybe it was that the window over the sink faced the forest and brought Edward back to my mind each day.

I didn’t push Edward from my mind anymore. The first year after he left, I couldn’t even think of him without clutching myself in physical pain. I couldn’t bear to say his name…couldn’t bear to hear it. But that had changed over the years. I welcomed the memories now. For me, there would never be another love. I knew I had found my one true love as a young woman. I knew Edward was the only piece that could complete me. Twenty years later, I still loved him.

Tonight, Edward was so clear in my mind. Jacob and his family had surprised me with a birthday cake. It was the first birthday since Charlie had died and they didn’t want me to be alone. I preferred to skip over birthday celebrations. Like most women, the thought of getting older was offensive, but for me birthdays also signified the end. The end of Edward and me-----the memory of my eighteenth birthday party at the Cullen’s was one of my blackest memories.

Jake and I remained best friends all these years. He imprinted on Anna when he was nineteen and they were married shortly after. Life had changed for Jacob after the Cullens left Forks. He no longer shape shifted. There was no need. Once in a great while, he would tell me that he smelled a sweet smell in the air, warning me to be careful. I think he thought it would scare me. It never did. I only hoped that meant that an old friend was passing by, or more importantly, Edward was near.

As I washed and dried the last plate, I replayed Jacob’s last words to me tonight. “Lock up good tonight, Bells. I smell a strong sweetness in the air.” He had no idea how I wished that were true.

I hung the dishtowel to dry and went out on the back stoop, staring at the forest. It was dark, but it didn’t scare me. Before turning in for the night I spoke out loud, “Good night, Edward. I love you.”

Chapter 2

I still kept the bedroom at the top of the stairs. I had repainted and gotten new furniture along the years. But in all those years, I never replaced the mattress. It was there that we talked for hours; there that he held me, and that we kissed. It was worn now, and honestly my back would most definitely benefit from a new mattress. I just couldn’t part with it.

I got ready for bed and turned on the bedside lamp. I opened my window a crack, like I had every night since he left. Then I took out my journal. I always wrote in it on nights that I felt particularly preoccupied with memories. I learned years ago that writing my thoughts down would often ward off the nightmares I had so often. Somehow I wasn’t sure it would help tonight. My journal, like anything else about my life, was not a typical journal. I actually wrote letters to Edward. I had filled over a dozen blank books with letters to him. Maybe someday, when I was gone, he would read them and understand the depth of my love for him. He would know that I figured out why he really left and that I eventually forgave him. Tonight was a night I knew I needed to write to him. And so I began…

My Dearest Edward,
I’ve missed you so much today. It’s my birthday. I turned thirty-eight today. That means it is almost 20 years to the day since you’ve been gone. I never would have believed that I would be without you after all these years. On days like today, I still feel the hole in my chest. I know it was your love for me that allowed you to leave. But, I wonder, do you still think of me? I love you, Edward...as much now as ever before.

I stopped there because tears were making it difficult to write. I cried myself softly to sleep.

Shortly afterwards, the nightmare began. It was always the same when it came. Wandering in the forest. Calling out his name. Crying. Never finding him. Feeling so alone. And then…waking up in a cold sweat, sobbing for what I would never have again.
I tried to calm myself, counting my breaths, in and out.

Then I heard his voice, “Bella.”

I sat upright and looked around the room. It was empty, of course. But, I didn’t feel alone in the room. Oh, God. Tonight was particularly bad. I was having delusions again. It was years since I had heard the delusions this clearly. I tried to concentrate harder. Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in…

I felt a cool breeze in the room and instinctively pulled the blanket higher to my chin.

“Edward?” I whispered into the dark room.

Table of Contents
Clickable Links

Chapters 1 & 2- on header of each page
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14

Chapter 15 -This is not clickable....look for it near p. 34

Chapter 16

Chapter 17

Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21

Views: 8056

Replies to This Discussion

yay!!!!! tomorrow!!! yay!!!
Is today, tomorrow??!! Cannot wait! *clapping hands and running around living room!!*

Love ya Girlie! You Rock my Edward and Bella world!!

Wendy

Here's the long awaited chapter-the wedding ceremony. Let me know what you think. Since it takes place on a Saturday, I thought you should have it on Saturday! :) Enjoy...

Chapter 18

The rest of the week went by quickly. Alice had everyone busy, making sure everything was just the way she wanted it. Before I knew it Friday night had arrived and Edward was leaving with Emmett and Carlisle for his “stag.” In reality they were going hunting just north of the Canadian border. Alice had invited me to spend the night with her, but I declined. Since Edward and I had decided that we would live at the Cullen house, it would be my last night in Charlie’s house…the last night in my tiny room in my tiny bed… alone. Tomorrow night Edward and I would share the beautiful bed he had bought for us. At least, that is where I thought we’d be staying. Edward was in charge of all the arrangements that would take place after the wedding. And, he wasn’t willing to share his secrets…not about the honeymoon…or the wedding night. I tried to weasel the plans out of Alice, telling her I needed to know what to pack but she wouldn’t give any hints.
She just told me not to worry about anything and that she had already packed a bag for me.

I crawled into bed, knowing I probably was too excited to really fall asleep. It would have really been good to have Jasper here tonight. I could definitely use some calming. I pulled my journal from my nightstand. My last entry was written, one week ago from tonight. Who would have guessed that after writing that tearful entry my entire life would be turned upside down and re-righted. I uncapped the pen and decided to write one final letter in this notebook.

My dearest Edward,

For years I have kept a journal of my deepest thoughts…things I would have told you had you been here. But you are here now and I can tell you all my hopes, dreams, and fears so tonight will be my last entry as I close this chapter of my life. It has always frustrated you that you couldn’t read my mind, so I am giving you this and all of my journals so that you can know the thoughts I have had in the years we were apart. Please don’t be sad when you read some of the more difficult parts, as it will only prove my undying love for you. I love you Edward.

Completely Yours,
Bella

Saturday proved to be a gorgeous day, although I had to admire it from the windows in Alice’s dressing room. She had called to summon me up to the house shortly after I woke up. As soon as I saw her and Rosalie, I knew Alice had already been working her makeup magic, as she and Rosalie looked like they had aged significantly in the last twenty-four hours. In the hours that followed I had been soaked, massaged, buffed, waxed, lotioned and polished. The last things to be finished were my makeup and hair. Alice started on my makeup while Rosalie worked on my hair, following Alice’s specific instructions. When they were satisfied with their handiwork, Alice took me by the hand and led me from the elaborate bathroom back into her dressing area. They called Esme and Angela in to help with the dress and pin the veil in my hair. “Have you seen yourself yet, Bella?” Angela asked excitedly.

“No. I’m too scared.”

“Why? What is it you are afraid of, dear?” Esme asked. All four of them awaited my response.

“Well, it’s just I’ve always known how plain I look standing next to Edward. I would like to fantasize that today maybe I look just a little less plain and seeing the truth reflected back to me might just break that fantasy.”

“Bella,” Alice said, turning me to face the full length mirror, “You don’t need to fantasize. You look stunning.”

I stared at my reflection. Looking back at me was a lovely dark haired woman. Her hair fell in smooth spiral curls cascading from the intricate braiding that held her hair in a half updo. Her skin was cream and roses. The woman was me and…well I was beautiful. ”Oh, Alice, Rosalie, thank you,” I managed, my voice full of emotion.

“Don’t cry!” Alice ordered. “You’ll ruin your makeup.”

Then Rosalie said, “Bella…it’s almost time. I’m going to start playing some music on the keyboard.”

“And I’m going to start greeting guests,” Esme added, giving me a final hug.
Almost as soon as they shut the door, there was a knock. Alice went to the door and spoke loudly, “Edward, go away. You are not seeing her before the ceremony.” There was no response, so she opened it a crack and peeked out. “Oh… um…Bella…there’s someone here to see you.”

She opened the door wider to reveal a very handsomely dressed Jacob. He stood, not knowing whether he should enter the room or not. Angela excused herself out of the room. Alice ushered him in and then headed to the bathroom to get dressed, yelling over her shoulder, “Do…Not…Cry!”

That was a hard request to honor because that was exactly what my eyes wanted to do. I was happy and scared at once. Happy because if Jacob was here in a tuxedo, that must mean he was staying for the wedding and scared of what he came to say to me.

“You look amazing,” Jake said softly.

“Thanks, you look pretty great yourself.”

There was a pause.

“I’m glad you’re here,” I said.

“Yeah. Me too…Bella…I’m sorry. I’ve been such a jerk.” I was literally willing the tears not to come.

“Why…why did you decide to come?” I asked him.

“Anna…and Seth. They helped me to see that I didn’t have to lose you. That I…I was the one pushing you away…cutting you off. Anna told me that I didn’t have right to tell you who you could love…that it was beyond your control anyway…that you couldn’t stop loving him. I spent a lot of time thinking. So… here I am.”

“Oh, Jacob,” I said, hugging him. “This is the best wedding gift you could have ever given me.”

He hugged me back. “I know you said you didn’t need it, but I’m going to say it anyway…Bella, I give you my blessing.” It was the second time this week that two of the most unlikely people told me that.

The tears spilled over now and I hurried to dab them up. “I love you, Jake.”
“I love you too, Bells,” he said emotionally. He changed his tone to a more animated one and said, “Now let’s get this show on the road. I’ve got a bride to give away.”

“But, Seth…”

“Seth knows all about this. We’re tight…besides, who do you think gave me the tux?” We both laughed. I would have to make sure to thank Seth tonight…for everything.

Alice opened the door then. “Are you ready? Angela is waiting to start her walk down into the garden.”

I nodded and Jake took my arm and led me outside into the twilight. I heard Rosalie playing the keyboard and saw our friends turn to watch Angela start down the stone walkway through the garden. She looked lovely in the jade green gown that Alice had purchased for her.

Then it was our turn. The music changed to the traditional wedding march as Jacob and I entered the garden. The candles flickered in the gentle breeze as I walked under trellises dripping with orange blossoms, lilacs and white lights. Those must have cost a fortune because neither of them were in season in Forks. I glanced around at our little crowd and finally found what my eyes were searching for. At the end of the aisle, waiting for me, I saw Edward’s perfect face. He was dressed in a black tuxedo and looked so astonishingly handsome that I made an audible gasp when I saw him. He met my eyes and smiled a breathtaking full on smile. Jacob led me to him and put our hands together.

Mr. Weber asked, “Who gives this woman?”

“I do,” Jacob said clearly, before taking his seat.

Mr. Weber had us repeat the traditional wedding vows he had offered at so many weddings before ours. Then he turned to our friends and said, “Edward and Bella will now share some words that they have written for each other as they give each other their rings.” He gestured towards Edward to begin.

Edward looked deeply into my eyes, his own golden orbs overflowing with emotion.
“Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars- points of light and reason. And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason for anything.” (Meyer, 2008, New Moon, Chapter 23). He continued, “Now that you have returned to my life the world has beauty and meaning again. I have a reason for my life.” He lifted my left hand and placed the gold band on my ring finger, saying these words, “I give you this ring as a symbol of my love…with all that I am and all that I have, I honor you in front of God and all these witness. I will love you and cherish you all the days of my life.”

Forgetting anyone was in the garden with us, I held his hand and spoke, “Edward, before you came into my life, I never knew true joy…never fully experienced the beauty of the world or the happiness life could bring. Then you came into my life and my heart opened itself to you. When you left, you took part of my heart with you. I’ve lived with that missing piece, never finding anything or anyone who could make me whole again…until you returned. You have made my heart and my life complete once more.” I reached for his left hand and putting the ring on his finger said, “I give you this ring as a token of my love for you. I pledge to you all that I am and all that I will become as your wife. With this ring I join my life to yours.”

Mr. Weber put his hands over ours and said, “Now that Edward and Bella have given themselves to each other by the promises they have exchanged, I pronounce them to be husband and wife, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen. Edward, you may kiss your bride.”

Edward kissed me tenderly as he held me in a cool embrace. I never wanted this moment to end. Because I was unwilling, he broke the kiss and, holding my hand, turned us to face our family and friends. Mr. Weber said, “Ladies and gentlemen, I now present to you…Mr. and Mrs. Edward Cullen.”

The small crowd clapped their hands as we walked down the aisle together for the first time as husband and wife.

Check out the categories for fanfiction awards...lots of great stories. http://www.thetwilightsaga.com/group/fanfictionawards
This is brilliant!
I wish I could write like you!
I'm so glad that they got married after all this time!
I nearly cried when Jacob came back, he had to give her away, it was only right!
xx
So sweet...thanks!
*tears, happy tears*
This is beautiful! And I am so happy that Jacob "finally saw the light"! Anna and Seth must have really had to work hard on him, LOL!!
I am so happy for Bella and Edward. Now the reception and then the honeymoon.....mmmmmmmmm!!!
i so agree with you Tami..
the line made me cry.. whaaa...
and the vows, very romantic!
just want to be in Bella's shoes.. lol
great chapter Bella43..as always.. :))
Tami! Was that not flippin' genious!?!?! My favorite line too! Also, LOVED the fact that Jacob came through for her! Go Seth and Anna!!! Yall Rock! Such an emotionally satisfying chapter in every way!!

By the way, I recant my question about Renesmee, as Jacob is married, therefore, imprinting on "Nessie" is not gonna happen, Right?! So, looking forward to the honeymoon!

Yall both Rock in your storytellin'!!

Wendy
Thank you! No, you are right...Jake has already imprinted.
That is okay, I can live with whatever you do with this story cuz it is awesome! I am so enjoying it!

So, reception and honeymoon?? WooHoo, Let's Party!! Celebrate Mr. and Mrs. Edward Cullen, FINALLY!! After all these years!!

Hope to have a new chapter soon!

Wendy
Thanks, Tami. It was one of my favorites from The Saga!
love it!!!!!!!!!
this was amazing!!!!

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service