The Twilight Saga

It has been 20 years since Edward left. Bella never stopped loving him.
This story is now complete. Hope you enjoy it.

After All These Years

Setting: 20 years after Edward leaves in New Moon.

Chapter 1

Unlike some people, I loved washing dishes. It was the time that I allowed my mind to wander freely; the time where I replayed the day in my head; the time when I allowed memories to wash over me. Maybe it was the warm water. Maybe it was the feeling of washing everything away. Maybe it was that the window over the sink faced the forest and brought Edward back to my mind each day.

I didn’t push Edward from my mind anymore. The first year after he left, I couldn’t even think of him without clutching myself in physical pain. I couldn’t bear to say his name…couldn’t bear to hear it. But that had changed over the years. I welcomed the memories now. For me, there would never be another love. I knew I had found my one true love as a young woman. I knew Edward was the only piece that could complete me. Twenty years later, I still loved him.

Tonight, Edward was so clear in my mind. Jacob and his family had surprised me with a birthday cake. It was the first birthday since Charlie had died and they didn’t want me to be alone. I preferred to skip over birthday celebrations. Like most women, the thought of getting older was offensive, but for me birthdays also signified the end. The end of Edward and me-----the memory of my eighteenth birthday party at the Cullen’s was one of my blackest memories.

Jake and I remained best friends all these years. He imprinted on Anna when he was nineteen and they were married shortly after. Life had changed for Jacob after the Cullens left Forks. He no longer shape shifted. There was no need. Once in a great while, he would tell me that he smelled a sweet smell in the air, warning me to be careful. I think he thought it would scare me. It never did. I only hoped that meant that an old friend was passing by, or more importantly, Edward was near.

As I washed and dried the last plate, I replayed Jacob’s last words to me tonight. “Lock up good tonight, Bells. I smell a strong sweetness in the air.” He had no idea how I wished that were true.

I hung the dishtowel to dry and went out on the back stoop, staring at the forest. It was dark, but it didn’t scare me. Before turning in for the night I spoke out loud, “Good night, Edward. I love you.”

Chapter 2

I still kept the bedroom at the top of the stairs. I had repainted and gotten new furniture along the years. But in all those years, I never replaced the mattress. It was there that we talked for hours; there that he held me, and that we kissed. It was worn now, and honestly my back would most definitely benefit from a new mattress. I just couldn’t part with it.

I got ready for bed and turned on the bedside lamp. I opened my window a crack, like I had every night since he left. Then I took out my journal. I always wrote in it on nights that I felt particularly preoccupied with memories. I learned years ago that writing my thoughts down would often ward off the nightmares I had so often. Somehow I wasn’t sure it would help tonight. My journal, like anything else about my life, was not a typical journal. I actually wrote letters to Edward. I had filled over a dozen blank books with letters to him. Maybe someday, when I was gone, he would read them and understand the depth of my love for him. He would know that I figured out why he really left and that I eventually forgave him. Tonight was a night I knew I needed to write to him. And so I began…

My Dearest Edward,
I’ve missed you so much today. It’s my birthday. I turned thirty-eight today. That means it is almost 20 years to the day since you’ve been gone. I never would have believed that I would be without you after all these years. On days like today, I still feel the hole in my chest. I know it was your love for me that allowed you to leave. But, I wonder, do you still think of me? I love you, Edward...as much now as ever before.

I stopped there because tears were making it difficult to write. I cried myself softly to sleep.

Shortly afterwards, the nightmare began. It was always the same when it came. Wandering in the forest. Calling out his name. Crying. Never finding him. Feeling so alone. And then…waking up in a cold sweat, sobbing for what I would never have again.
I tried to calm myself, counting my breaths, in and out.

Then I heard his voice, “Bella.”

I sat upright and looked around the room. It was empty, of course. But, I didn’t feel alone in the room. Oh, God. Tonight was particularly bad. I was having delusions again. It was years since I had heard the delusions this clearly. I tried to concentrate harder. Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in…

I felt a cool breeze in the room and instinctively pulled the blanket higher to my chin.

“Edward?” I whispered into the dark room.

Table of Contents
Clickable Links

Chapters 1 & 2- on header of each page
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14

Chapter 15 -This is not clickable....look for it near p. 34

Chapter 16

Chapter 17

Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21

Views: 8052

Replies to This Discussion

i love this!!!!
i wanna know more of what bella wrote in her journals... i loved those parts
post more soon
Check back later tonight or tomorrow...new chapter should be up by then. :)
Hey. Lori-Welcome back!
awe!
way cute!
seriously!

Chapter 21

I woke up to the sounds of the tropics. I could hear birds singing, insects humming and waves gently hitting the shore. I smelled the salty ocean air mixed with the tangy scent of coffee brewing. When I finally opened my eyes, I realized I was alone in the bed. I got up and padded over to the kitchen to see if I could find Edward in there. Sure enough, he had his head in a cookbook and was whipping up something for me to eat for breakfast. Still in his bedclothes, he looked better than anyone in a kitchen had a right to.

“Good morning, Love. Did you sleep well?” he asked.

“I did…thank you. What are you cooking?” I asked, as I wound my arms around his waist.

“Omelets. You like eggs, right?”

I nodded, “Where did you get the food?”

“Alice called yesterday and had the caretakers bring up food from the mainland to stock the kitchen for us.”

“Edward, you never did tell me. What plans did Alice make you change yesterday?”

He was silent for a minute before he answered. Then finally he said, “I originally planned to take you to Isle Esme. Alice insisted on Carl Isle instead.”

“Why?” I asked.

His response was guarded and I noticed that he didn’t look at me when he spoke. “For one thing, Carl Isle is closer to Forks than Isle Esme. Also, it’s closer to the mainland for hunting…in case we extend our stay.”

I wasn’t satisfied with his answer so I pressed further. “Did she see something terrible happening at Isle Esme? Was someone going to hurt me…Victoria?”

“No, Bella…nothing like that,” he said with his back to me.

“Edward, tell me. We are not starting married life with you keeping secrets from me.” I was clearly annoyed.

He sighed and stared at me for a moment. “Fine. Alice had a vision that I would change you on our honeymoon. She thought we should be here instead of Isle Esme, because Carl Isle is closer to an uninhabited section of the mainland where you could safely hunt without running into any humans. I told her it didn’t matter where we were because I would not change you without Carlisle nearby and certainly not on our honeymoon. I told her she had nothing to worry about. She was ridiculously adamant. So here we are. It’s OK…when we get back to Forks I can tell her I told you so.” He laughed at his last comment.

“But what if she’s right? What if that is something I wanted to happen?” I questioned.

“It’s not going to happen. We are going to enjoy our honeymoon. Besides, without Carlisle…well I just don’t know if I’m that strong. Now, enough about Alice and her vision.”

“I always bet on Alice,” I replied.

“Not this time,” he said resolutely. It was clear the subject was closed when he began to ramble on about lighter topics such as the weather, today’s agenda, and the menu he had planned for my dinner tonight.

A few minutes later he had an appetizing dish sitting on the table in front of me. In front of him sat a journal. “I finished another notebook last night. It wasn’t as heavy as the first one. Still, you suffered more than I had ever thought you would have. How were you able to forgive me for all the pain I caused you?” He caressed my face with his finger.

“Love.” I said, standing to go and retrieve a third journal from Edward’s luggage. I opened to a page I thought he should hear. “I’d like to read you something. It’s been ten years since you’ve been gone and not a day goes by that I don’t think of you. You are my first thought each day and my last thought each night. I don’t have to hide you from my memories anymore. I’m through grieving. “When life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it’s not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end.” (Meyer, 2005,Twilight, Preface p.1) I cherish the memories of you now and I am so thankful that I was able to experience the love we shared. Many people will never find the type of love we had for each other. It took me quite a while to finally realize that you left because you loved me. But once I came to that realization, my heart began to repair itself. The missing piece was still there, but the open aching wound started to heal. In my heart, I have been betrothed to you, Edward. I know there will never be another man for me. You will always be the love of my life. “No one’s ever loved anyone as much as I love you.” (Meyer, 2008, Breaking Dawn, p.753)

He pulled me close. “What did I ever do to deserve you?” he asked, his voice and eyes both filled with emotion.

“You loved me,” I said, tenderly.

The rest of our day was beautiful. Edward took me on a trek around the island and made me a picnic lunch on the beach. We spent the afternoon swimming in the ocean and lying on the sand. I wore one of the skimpy bikinis Alice had packed for me and Edward was definitely having a hard time keeping his eyes off of me. I especially enjoyed watching him try to maintain control when I asked him to rub sunscreen on my back. Throughout our day, I was playfully affectionate and for the most part, he was not shutting me down. After a delicious dinner on the patio, I told Edward that I was getting tired and wanted to start getting ready for bed.

I drew a bath for myself, hoping that Edward would join me. Of course, he turned me down, saying that he didn’t think that was such a good idea. When in fact, I’m sure he knew it was an exceptionally great idea. I didn’t pressure him to get in, but asked him to keep me company while I bathed. He sat on the marble edge of the tub and talked with me as I soaked in the water. Then I turned on the heat…I lathered myself with soapy bubbles, trying to look sexy as Edward spoke to me. I could see his eyes start to smolder as they followed the movements of my hands. I turned and asked him to wash my back and then to wash my hair. When he finished, I stood and turned the showerhead on to rinse all the bubbles from my skin. He swallowed audibly, taking in the sight of my wet body and held out a fluffy towel for me to step into. I smiled to myself, knowing I was starting to wear on his resolve.

While drying my hair, I heard Edward showering in another bathroom. I considered going to him, but thought better of it and continued on with my original plan. After drying my hair, I padded into the bedroom, and lit dozens of the small tealight candles I had found earlier. When he came back into the bedroom with a towel wrapped around his waist, I was sitting on the bed waiting for him with the hairbrush in my hand.

“Edward, would you brush my hair again? It felt so good last night.” I smiled at him sweetly, holding out the brush to him.

He sat beside me on the bed, brushing my hair gently. When he stopped I stood to face him, letting my towel fall to the floor. I looked him in the eyes and pushed him back on the bed, pressing my lips to his.

He pushed me back slightly, “No, Bella. We can’t.”

“I say we can.” I traced my tongue across his jaw to the hollow beneath his ear. He shuddered slightly.

“No. You’re too breakable. It’s not safe yet. ”

“Mmm,” I said, planting soft kisses down his chest. “It’s never been safe for me to be with you and yet here I am.” I lay on top of him, letting my body melt right into his. My fingers wove through his hair and I kissed him until I had to let up for air.

He was breathing hard when he flipped me onto my back. He rose up on his palms, and looking me in the eyes, said more firmly, “No, Bella…”

“Edward, please. I’m your wife. It’s our honeymoon. Don’t shut me out,” I begged.
His face looked pained, as he considered the risks. I ran my hands over his back, unraveling his towel while I nibbled on the skin of his chest. “Please, Edward.”

He made a small growl and with an intensity I wasn’t prepared for, he brought his lips down onto mine and kissed me so sensuously I felt like my heart would beat right out of my chest. Electricity flowed through me as his hands memorized my body, igniting sparks wherever he touched. Our breaths were coming in ragged pants, and when I finally thought I couldn’t possibly handle much more passion, he took me.

When our breathing had just about returned to normal, we lay facing each other. I felt completely and utterly loved and adored. It was truly one of the most spectacular, intimate moments of my life. I knew this was the perfect time for me to give myself to him fully. “Edward, take me now.” I said, gazing at his exquisite face, running my finger softly across his cool lips.

He laughed, huskily. “You are the greedy one tonight. Are you sure you’re ready so soon?”

His honey sweet breath blew across my face, intoxicating me, drawing me closer to him. “I’ve never been more ready.” I continued to stare at him while I pushed my long brown hair aside and stroked my neck.

He rose up on his elbow, recognizing what I was really asking for. He shook his head disapprovingly and said, “No, Bella...”

“It’s time, Edward. I’m ready. Take me,” I said, longingly.

“Are you…sure? I...I’m not certain if I’m strong enough to stop. Carlisle should be with me when…” His topaz eyes told of the confusion he felt inside.

I kissed him passionately, with abandon and he did not push me away. “Change me.”

He stared at me for a moment, then cradled me in his arms and slowly bent towards my neck. Lifting his head and looking me in the eyes, he said, “I love you, Bella…more than you’ll ever know.”

“And I love you.” I smiled, and touching his face I said, “See you in forever.”

He kissed me gently on the lips, slowly gliding his mouth across my jaw and down to my neck. I could feel him shaking, but as nervous as he was, I was not. This had been something I had wanted for so long…the moment I had been waiting for. I knew there would be pain, Edward had warned me of that. But I knew at the end of that pain, there would be Edward. I felt his cold lips linger on my neck kissing me softly.

“Forever.” I heard him say. Then, I felt his teeth on my skin and the burning began. This was my beginning…our beginning of forever…after all these years.

The End

I hope you all enjoyed the story! Please take the time to comment. Thank you to all of you who voted this as one of your fav fanfics. It's not too late to vote: http://www.thetwilightsaga.com/group/fanfictionawards/forum/topics/...

Also-They are still taking nominations for several categories--so go check them out and vote for your favorites...
http://www.thetwilightsaga.com/group/fanfictionawards/forum
Excuse me??!! What do you mean, the end??? I am writing and crying through tears! This was absolutely awesome and you could not have been more perfect.

I always bet on Alice!!

Wendy *sighs lovingly and sadly*
Hi, Wendy---How's my #1 fan holding up?
Not very well right now!! I seriously had a hard time sleeping last night!! You better start something else and soon girlie!!

How are you holding up, ending your story finally? That has gotta be just as hard for you as it was for me!

In all seriousness, I have to say that this was such a great post BD story! It is so exactly what would have happened if Edward did not come back for 20 years! And you totally captured our Edward and Bella so perfectly! The honeymooon, the journals, the essence of the Edward and Bella we love sooooo much! Thank you so much for this great story and I truly look forward to whatever you write next, cuz I know you will be writing something else VERY soon!! Right?!

Love ya girlie and will be voting for ya in fanfic!!

Wendy *sniffles, and smiles*
It was hard, actually, I cried too. you readers have been so great. I think I'm actually going to try to finish a piece I started last summer. It's not Twilight related--who knows maybe it its any good a publisher will pick it up. That would be a dream come true. :)
I know were just awesome!!! LOL.

My mom had to forcefully remove me from the computer. I could barely see I was crying so hard!!!!

Please tell me when you start something new!!!

Your Fan,

Cullen_Lover♥
i really loved this story i'm so sad that it's over
but i still wanna know what happens
thanks for writing this
I look forward to whatever you decide to write next.
You are a fanfic rockstar!!

MyHotComments.com

Wendy
Twilight and FanFic Addict!

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service