The Twilight Saga

It has been 20 years since Edward left. Bella never stopped loving him.
This story is now complete. Hope you enjoy it.

After All These Years

Setting: 20 years after Edward leaves in New Moon.

Chapter 1

Unlike some people, I loved washing dishes. It was the time that I allowed my mind to wander freely; the time where I replayed the day in my head; the time when I allowed memories to wash over me. Maybe it was the warm water. Maybe it was the feeling of washing everything away. Maybe it was that the window over the sink faced the forest and brought Edward back to my mind each day.

I didn’t push Edward from my mind anymore. The first year after he left, I couldn’t even think of him without clutching myself in physical pain. I couldn’t bear to say his name…couldn’t bear to hear it. But that had changed over the years. I welcomed the memories now. For me, there would never be another love. I knew I had found my one true love as a young woman. I knew Edward was the only piece that could complete me. Twenty years later, I still loved him.

Tonight, Edward was so clear in my mind. Jacob and his family had surprised me with a birthday cake. It was the first birthday since Charlie had died and they didn’t want me to be alone. I preferred to skip over birthday celebrations. Like most women, the thought of getting older was offensive, but for me birthdays also signified the end. The end of Edward and me-----the memory of my eighteenth birthday party at the Cullen’s was one of my blackest memories.

Jake and I remained best friends all these years. He imprinted on Anna when he was nineteen and they were married shortly after. Life had changed for Jacob after the Cullens left Forks. He no longer shape shifted. There was no need. Once in a great while, he would tell me that he smelled a sweet smell in the air, warning me to be careful. I think he thought it would scare me. It never did. I only hoped that meant that an old friend was passing by, or more importantly, Edward was near.

As I washed and dried the last plate, I replayed Jacob’s last words to me tonight. “Lock up good tonight, Bells. I smell a strong sweetness in the air.” He had no idea how I wished that were true.

I hung the dishtowel to dry and went out on the back stoop, staring at the forest. It was dark, but it didn’t scare me. Before turning in for the night I spoke out loud, “Good night, Edward. I love you.”

Chapter 2

I still kept the bedroom at the top of the stairs. I had repainted and gotten new furniture along the years. But in all those years, I never replaced the mattress. It was there that we talked for hours; there that he held me, and that we kissed. It was worn now, and honestly my back would most definitely benefit from a new mattress. I just couldn’t part with it.

I got ready for bed and turned on the bedside lamp. I opened my window a crack, like I had every night since he left. Then I took out my journal. I always wrote in it on nights that I felt particularly preoccupied with memories. I learned years ago that writing my thoughts down would often ward off the nightmares I had so often. Somehow I wasn’t sure it would help tonight. My journal, like anything else about my life, was not a typical journal. I actually wrote letters to Edward. I had filled over a dozen blank books with letters to him. Maybe someday, when I was gone, he would read them and understand the depth of my love for him. He would know that I figured out why he really left and that I eventually forgave him. Tonight was a night I knew I needed to write to him. And so I began…

My Dearest Edward,
I’ve missed you so much today. It’s my birthday. I turned thirty-eight today. That means it is almost 20 years to the day since you’ve been gone. I never would have believed that I would be without you after all these years. On days like today, I still feel the hole in my chest. I know it was your love for me that allowed you to leave. But, I wonder, do you still think of me? I love you, Edward...as much now as ever before.

I stopped there because tears were making it difficult to write. I cried myself softly to sleep.

Shortly afterwards, the nightmare began. It was always the same when it came. Wandering in the forest. Calling out his name. Crying. Never finding him. Feeling so alone. And then…waking up in a cold sweat, sobbing for what I would never have again.
I tried to calm myself, counting my breaths, in and out.

Then I heard his voice, “Bella.”

I sat upright and looked around the room. It was empty, of course. But, I didn’t feel alone in the room. Oh, God. Tonight was particularly bad. I was having delusions again. It was years since I had heard the delusions this clearly. I tried to concentrate harder. Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in…

I felt a cool breeze in the room and instinctively pulled the blanket higher to my chin.

“Edward?” I whispered into the dark room.

Table of Contents
Clickable Links

Chapters 1 & 2- on header of each page
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14

Chapter 15 -This is not clickable....look for it near p. 34

Chapter 16

Chapter 17

Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21

Views: 8073

Replies to This Discussion

WOW!!
That was absolutely amazing!
I loved how you but the new moon quote in there.!

Here is the long awaited scene...I tried to be tactful. Sweet dreams!

Chapter 19

The little crowd followed us to the back porch of the house. The dark of the night was lit by thousands of twinkling lights hanging from the trees and the tent that covered the dance floor. Luminaries lined the walkway and the steps. Candles flickered on each table and were reflected back by the large windows that covered the entire back of the house. The night had a magical quality about it. I felt like I was floating in a dream.

I turned to look at Edward and sighed. I just couldn’t believe this dazzling man was now my husband. There couldn’t possibly be anyone more handsome in the entire world and he was mine.

“What are you thinking, Bella?” he asked, kissing my hand.

I laughed. “Honestly? I was thinking about how dazzling you look tonight.”

He smiled. “You are the one dazzling everyone tonight, Bella. Your beauty takes my breath away.” I could feel the blush creep over my cheeks. “Oh, how I’m going to miss that,” Edward said as he caressed my cheek with his thumb.

Our guests had followed us back to the reception area and gathered to embrace and congratulate us. I was surprised that everyone we invited was able to make it on such short notice. Edward introduced me to his Denali “family.” I took particular notice of the beautiful strawberry blonde vampire named Tanya. How Edward had passed her up for me, I would never understand. As if reading my thought, he turned and whispered in my ear, “No competition…ever!”

After everyone ate and the cake ceremony was finished, we wiped the frosting from our faces and headed to the dance floor for the traditional first dance. Emmett, playing DJ, introduced us and started the music. I looked up at Edward, stunned that he would have thought to play this song - Flightless Bird - the song we had danced to on our prom night under the beautiful gazebo. Edward took me in a gentle embrace and led me effortlessly around the dance floor. “Are you enjoying yourself, my beautiful wife?” he asked.

“I am. It’s everything I’ve always dreamed of. We need to thank Alice for all of this.”

As the dance ended, Jacob approached and asked if he could have a talk with us both. He led us off the dance floor to a gathering of people whom I now realized were all the members of the pack. I stiffened. I was sure I knew what this was about and it was nothing good. This, I knew, must be the pack reminding us about the treaty. Was that the real reason Jacob had shown up at the wedding? I instantly tensed as I felt anger rising in my body. Edward squeezed my hand. “It’s not what you think, Bella,” he whispered. “Everything will be fine.”

Jacob spoke in a low, solemn tone. “For many years, the Cullens and the Quilete nation have lived peacefully, honoring the treaty that was forged so many years ago.” He turned to directly face me. “Bella, I know the depth of your desire to be one with Edward. Although I cannot understand your wish to become a vampire, I respect the intensity of your love and devotion to him. I have come to believe that he will love and honor you with all of his being. As the pack’s Alpha, I hereby amend the original treaty, allowing one and only one exception… Edward, you may take Bella and make her all you both desire her to be. However, I must warn you, that if there is any kind of…hmm… accident, we will avenge her and you will rue the day you were born.”

“I wouldn’t have it any other way,” Edward replied seriously.

Jake shook Edward’s hand and hugged me in a warm embrace. “May the Great Spirit be with you both,” he said. Each member of the pack followed Jake, shaking Edward’s hand and hugging me. Then, Seth broke the seriousness of the mood. “Alright, now that that’s all taken care of, let’s get that dance floor hopping!” Everyone followed him except for Edward, Jacob and me.

“Jake, I know how hard that must have been for you. Thank you so much,” I said, hugging him again.

He nodded and then faced Edward. “Take care of my girl, OK?”

Edward smiled, taking my hand in his. “I will. But Jake, Bella’s hardly what I’d call a girl anymore. And…actually she’s mine.”

Jake nodded, smiling. “Yeah, she’s turned into quite the beautiful woman. Will you let me steal a dance with her?”

Edward handed me off to Jake and we walked to the dance floor. “You are a terrific guy, Jacob Black,” I said, as we danced.

“Yeah, I know,” he laughed.

He held me close and silently led me around the dance floor. Then he pulled back to look at me. “I know this is a weird time to bring this up but, do you ever think about what might have happened if I hadn’t imprinted on Anna?”

I nodded, “Hmm…we would have each missed the love of our life. It’s how it was meant to be, Jake.”

“Hmpf…yeah, you’re right, Bella. Still love you though.” He kissed the top of my head and we finished the dance in silence.

Renee called to talk to Edward and me, wishing us love and a happy future. Then, Edward and I danced with everyone, it seemed, before we finally found ourselves dancing in each other’s arms once again. “Welcome back, Mrs. Cullen,” he teased. “I’ve missed you.”

“Mrs. Cullen,” I repeated. “I like the sound of that.”

He smiled his beautiful crooked smile. “Me, too…more than you know.” I lost myself in his embrace for several more songs until I heard Alice calling my name.

“Bella, I think its time you said goodbye to your guests. We need to get you ready to leave for tonight’s accommodations.” Although I was annoyed that she interrupted our romantic moment, I was also very eager to get started on the remainder of my wedding night. So, Edward and I said our goodbyes and thanked everyone for coming. I hugged Seth and Anna, saving my last goodbye for Jacob.

“Bells, you will call me to let me know about any upcoming changes?” Although it was worded as a question, it was more of a statement.

“I’ll let you know, Jake, before or after. Promise.”

Alice pulled me up the stairs into her bedroom and helped me back out of the dress she had zipped me into just hours ago. Laid out on her bed was a beautiful white lace teddy. “Put that on first, Bella.” It was frillier than I was used to but I wasn’t about to argue with her. When I had it on, she gave me a white velour jogging suit to put on over it and put a backpack over my shoulders. I must have looked confused because she laughed at my expression. “You’ll understand in a few minutes. Just trust me.”

“Alice, before I leave, I just want to thank you. You made this day seem like a fairy tale. I couldn’t have asked for a better wedding…or a better sister.”

“I’m glad you enjoyed it,” she smiled, hugging me.

Alice went to open the door, sensing that Edward was waiting on the other side. He was dressed in a silver track suit and running shoes. “Ready?” he asked, beaming at me. I nodded.

We said our goodbyes to Alice and he led me to his room. He opened the glass doors and told me to get on his back. “We’re running?” I asked.

“Yes…and that’s all I’m telling you!” he laughed, helping me up. And then he was running.

It was a perfect night for running. The air was cool but moist and it felt soft on my skin as Edward maneuvered through the dark trees. We streaked through the night heading towards our unknown destination. In just a few minutes, he slowed to a walk as we reached the edge of the forest. He helped me down and held my hand as we walked out of the black of the trees. It took a moment for me to realize where I was and what I was seeing. Edward watched me intently, waiting for me to understand where we were.

A beautiful fire flickered in the night, casting a glow on the satin bedding that was to be our wedding bed. I looked at Edward, his eyes full of love. “I…I don’t know what to say. It’s perfect.”

He embraced me. “I’m so glad you like it. I thought it was perfect, too. What better place could there be for us to spend our wedding night besides our meadow?” He kissed me, then…so deeply that I forgot how to breathe. He pulled back and ran his fingers through my hair. “I love you so much,” he whispered. My heart was beating wildly now and I knew that he could hear it. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled his lips back down to mine. I sensed a bit of tension in his embrace but as the kiss deepened again, that all faded away. Removing my right hand from his hair, I unzipped the zipper on my jacket. Edward’s lips moved softly across my jaw and down to the hollow of my throat, his breathing growing as uneven as mine. He pushed the jacket from my shoulders. Surprised by what he saw underneath, he drew in a deep breath, gliding his hands over my arms. He held my gaze as I removed his jacket, revealing his muscular chest. Gently, I glided my hands over his chest. Holding me close to him, he whispered, “Bella, I said we’d try. But if I hurt you at all, you need to let me know right away.” When he pulled back slightly, his face looked pained.

I caressed his face with my hand, “Edward, you’re not going to hurt me. We’ve waited our whole lives for this night. I am not afraid.”

His eyes smoldered as he took my hand and led me to the makeshift bed. I removed my pants, leaving on only the white lace teddy. Without saying a word but keeping his eyes on me, he slid off his pants and stood facing me in only a pair of black silk boxers. Then lifting me gently he placed me in the middle of the bed and kissed me. His cold tongue outlined my lower lip, sending chills through my body. “You are so beautiful,” he said, beginning the kiss that would take us to into unknown territory. Every touch, every kiss incited the fire within until we reached the point of no return. “Please, Edward…now,” I whispered. The lace that had been the only thing between us was now in tatters on the ground. Edward groaned and let go of any remaining resolve he had…taking me to places I had never been. And then…we revisited those places again and again. Until exhausted and sated, I finally fell into a blissful sleep.

Waking up in Edward’s arms had always been my favorite way to start the day. Waking up in Edward’s arms…wearing his wedding ring… watching the sunrise… in the meadow was over the top. Feelings of happiness and elation flowed through my body. I was Mrs. Edward Cullen…Bella Cullen. I smiled and rolled to face him. “Hi,” I said, trying to sound sexy.

“Hi, yourself,” he replied, kissing the top of my nose. He tried to smile, but the smile never made it to his eyes.

I rose up on my elbows to see him better. “Edward, what’s wrong?” There was worry in my voice.

“Look,” he said, pointing over our heads. The floor of the meadow closest to the bed was destroyed. Chunks of grass and soil were ripped out of the ground. “I did that…trying to divert some excess energy, trying to hold myself back.”

I laughed. “That’s what you are so worried about?”

“No. I’m angry at myself for being so selfish.” I wasn’t understanding him, so he continued. “Bella, I knew how much this meant to you…to have the first time be a human experience. Even though I knew how incredibly dangerous it would be, I thought once would satiate us both for a while until you decided you were ready to be changed. But last night was horribly dangerous, Bella. Each time we made love, I tasted the venom filling my mouth. As you slept all I could think about was you waking up, so that we could make love again. It was the most incredible night of my life. But now…now I find myself wanting you to change…hoping it will be soon. Don’t you see how selfish that is?”

I kissed him. “Edward, it’s not selfish…it’s what I want, too. I’m ready. Do you want to change me now?”

“No…I want us to enjoy our honeymoon first. I CAN control myself,” he said more for himself than for me.

“But can I?” I teased, climbing on top of him.

**Let me know what you think. The higher the number of responses we get, the closer we get to being in the top ten on the front of the Fan-Fic page! Also--thank you for nominating After All These Years for best fanfic on the FanFiction Award group. You may now vote on the stories that were nominated...good news...you get to vote for your 4 faves. Here's the link...
http://www.thetwilightsaga.com/group/fanfictionawards/forum/topics/...
I totally love your story... please keep going!!!!!
AHHHHHHMAZING!!! I lovvveeeddd it! You couldn't have made it any better!!! Jacob is so awesome!!! Write more!!!
Thanks! glad you liked it!
WOW !!! Amazing, perfect...
just perfect!!!
Wonderful...I love Jacob today...that was so nice of him to make the exception.
And what a place to have the Honeymoon - bloody brilliant!!
He's been such a good friend to Bella--got to love him!
wow!!!!!! this was too awesome! It was awesome, and you used quotes from the book!! great job, detailed in the right places, a very good job!!
LOVE IT!!!!! I thought that was so sweet of Edward to take Bella to their meadow!!! How romantic. PLEASE keep writing..
WOW THAT WAS AN AMAZING CHAPTER LOVED IT =)
girl you are amazing i love the chap!!!!
please keep writing!!!!

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service