The Twilight Saga

COPYRIGHT ALERT: The Twilight characters are not mine, they are Stephenie Meyer's.  The other characters, however, ARE mine, and so is the story idea.  Please do not steal it. Thanks. :)

Summary:

What else could possibly go wrong??  Anira’s life has been a complete disaster this past week, and obviously it’s not going to give her a break any time soon.  The local power plant almost had a meltdown, a bunch of stupid teenagers burnt down half of the forest she lives in, the government found out that she was living in an abandoned shed and threatened to move her into an orphanage, and worst of all, HER BOYFRIEND DUMPED HER.  When she wakes up on the first school day after winter break with that same sinking feeling in her stomach, she knows something else will go wrong, but never in her wildest dreams did she imagine it would lead her on a path like this.  A story of self-discovery, this anything-but-average teenager is forced to confront a past she never knew existed, survive an encounter with deadly yet somehow civilized vampires, and juggle a secret that no one can ever know, right in the middle of the worst week of her life.

Palo, Iowa wasn’t supposed to be this unpredictable.

Chapter 1: Get me out of this mess

I opened my eyes groggily and groaned.  My stomach was twisting and turning again, like it had almost every other day this past week.  And almost every other day this past week, something had gone wrong.  The first day had been the absolute worst though, in my opinion.

Hey, Anira, I need to talk to you, Nick, my boyfriend, had said.  It was the last day of school before winter break, and we had just climbed off the bus to go home.  I had looked at him and smiled, trying to ignore that gut-wrenching feeling I always got when something bad was going to happen.  I… Uh, I think we should just be friends.  We just aren’t very good together, you know?  I hope you understand.  It’s nothing personal.  We can still be friends though, right?  I had agreed with a little too much enthusiasm.

The next day, after I had cried myself to sleep, I’d barely noticed that same feeling when I woke up- I thought it was a side effect from all the sobs- until late in the night when I caught a whiff of smoke and realized that my forest was burning.  Apparently a group of teenagers had thought this was a good place for a bonfire to celebrate the week-long vacation.  Why they had wanted to be outside in December was beyond me, but there they were, burning down the only thing that hid my house from view.

Then, of course, after the trees had been drastically thinned, the inevitable happened: I got a notice on my door saying that my house was on government property and I needed to go to court to get a real home under penalty of the law.  Of course, as soon as I showed up and they realized I was only fifteen, they threatened to send me to an orphanage or foster home until I was legally old enough to live alone.  I had two weeks to pick a foster home of my choice before they forced me into some rotten place with the other homeless kids.

If that wasn’t enough to take in with all I had already been going through, the local power plant was in danger of having a meltdown, and I had to work there for days trying to calm everyone down and take control of the situation.  By the time all the chaos was over, I had only three days left of my break to relax.

And of course relaxation was an impossibility with my home being threatened and my heart completely shattered in my chest.

Now it was the first day of the new semester, and I could tell that something else was going to go wrong.  But what else could possibly go wrong?!  After everything I’d been through in the past week, what else could go wrong?!

I sat up grudgingly and stretched my aching muscles.  I wasn’t used to sleeping so often.  Usually I only had to sleep two or three times a week, but I was so upset during the break that I had actually slept every night. It wasn’t natural.

After going to my closet and grabbing a dull green blouse and khakis, I went into the kitchen to get some breakfast.  It wasn’t a very big room, with only the bare necessities to keep it running: a refrigerator, a sink, a stove, and a little wooden table with one chair on either side.  The refrigerator was actually pretty unnecessary at this time of year.  Since my house had no heater or air conditioner, the food just adapted to whatever temperature it was outside, and since it had just snowed… Well, my food would be plenty cool without manmade appliances.

I knew perfectly well that not having a heater was strange and unthinkable to any of the humans around me.  It was part of the reason why I had never invited anyone to my house.  But to be perfectly honest, I liked my house without all those silly indulgences.  I could really taste the fresh air when the musty air of a machine wasn’t in the way, and besides, the thing would be unnecessary anyway.  I couldn’t feel temperatures.  Well, I could feel when the weather changed, and I could tell when it was hot or cold, but I was never actually affected by temperature.  My skin was just the same 85˚ all the time.

I grabbed an apple from the fridge and went into the bathroom as I ate, my feet dragging a little as I walked.  The bathroom was a little smaller than the kitchen, with a bath tub, a toilet, a sink, and a mirror. I lived in an extremely small house. 

I looked at my reflection in the mirror without interest.  Just a little over a week ago my eyes had been bright and shining with life.  Now they were just a dull forest green, similar to my shirt color, with no emotions and no light.  There were shadows under my eyelids that hadn’t been there before.  I may have been sleeping more than usual, but that certainly didn’t mean I’d been sleeping well.

My hair was an unkempt mess, knotted and tangled from the many days of neglect.  I grabbed my brush from the sink now, not wanting to look like a zombie when I got on the bus to meet Nick.  I couldn’t let him know how much his decision had affected me.  I had to suck it up and act like nothing had changed, as if it didn’t matter in the slightest that he had broken my heart.  It wasn’t really his fault, I guess.  He wasn’t trying to be mean or anything.  He just didn’t think we were right for each other.

I sighed when I was finally done and watched the gossamer strands flow all the way down my legs, halting just below my knees.  The name Rapunzel fluttered through my mind as I glanced back in the mirror.  I was a strange sight to see, with flawless pale skin and pale hair that ran all the way down to my calves.  Maybe that was why Nick had dumped me…

I shook the thought out of my head and checked my watch.  7:30. I still had 30 minutes before I had to be at the bus stop, and I was already set to leave.  What was I supposed to do for 30 whole minutes?

My eyes brightened just slightly as an idea came into my head.  I ran back into the kitchen to look out the windows at the surrounding forest- at least what was left of it.  Was it safe?  Would anybody really be out and about this early in the morning?  Ordinarily I wouldn’t be too worried about getting caught, but after those stupid teenagers had burned down the woods, I couldn’t be too careful.  The coast seemed clear, and that uncomfortable feeling in my stomach had subsided, for now, so maybe I could get some exercise in before I left.

Before I could change my mind, I reached behind me to reveal the crease in my shirt where I had installed the zipper.  Very carefully, I pulled the zipper down until the hole was completely open and exhaled in relief as my wings slipped through the flap.  I had been too preoccupied over my vacation to stretch out my wings, but now nobody was around, I could sense that it was safe, and I had 30 minutes of free time to kill.  What better way to spend that time than to fly as fast as I could and just tune out the world for a few precious moments?

I fluttered my wings experimentally, smiling as my feet lifted off the ground.  It felt so good to finally use them again!  I shot out the back door after a short warm-up and let the world blur around me.

I thought about my past while I flew, all the memories I had before this week that didn’t make me want to hide in bed all day.  Before I had lived on Earth, I had grown up in a small planet called Avalon.  I lived there for eight years, but then one day our Fairy Council had come to my house and asked my parents if they could send me to Earth.  They sent different fairies to Earth every year to help the humans with their natural disasters and magical infestations, but only the ones with the best talents could go.  I was honored to be a part of their program and left immediately.  I had always admired the fairies that came to this planet, and I had hoped they would pick me, but I had also thought that my talent wasn’t good enough.  While some fairies could bend the elements or turn invisible, my only unique quality was my sense of danger.  I knew when something bad would happen.  I didn’t know what it would be, but I always knew, and it had saved my people’s lives many times.  So they sent me here, to this tiny town of Palo, Iowa, where I could live safely undetected and help those in need.

Well, that plan was in the process of being uprooted and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it.  The officials had trusted me to keep our secret, and though nobody knew what I really was, the fact that they had found my house was enough to put us all in grave danger.  Nobody could know we existed, humans and other mythical creatures alike.  We could not be discovered.  It was the law.

I slowed to a more human speed and dropped down to the ground when I heard a rustle in the bushes.  A deer jumped out of nowhere and scampered across the path to disappear into the trees once again.  That same uneasy feeling came back as I watched the creature, and I backed away on foot.  Whatever that creature was running from had to be the danger I was to face today.  I wasn’t going to let it find me here, completely vulnerable and with no witnesses.

I opened my wings and fled back to the house.

Tags: cullens, faeries, fairies, irina, reincarnation, vampires

Views: 2267

Replies to This Discussion

great udpate!  post again soon please!

that was awesome  i hope you update soon. :D

- h -

Thanks. :)  Ok, so I need all of my readers to help me out with this: I'm having some minor writer's block and I want Anira to do something on Sunday (it's Saturday in the last chapter I updated).  Does anyone have any ideas that they could picture Anira doing on a Sunday after bringing her boyfriend into her screwed-up life?...  Or based off of everything she's learned from her last visit to the Cullens' house?  I have most of the rest of the story planned, but for some reason I never thought of a Sunday activity..... =3  I'd love any help or ideas!!

Calody

Hi,

I'm really sorry that I haven't commented on your story in ages! Now that she knows her past, maybe she could visit her previous family in Denali? I've written a fanfiction called Sunset Forest, please check it out!

Thanks for the idea. :)  I'll see what I can do.  I actually do have some more ideas now as well, so I don't think I'll have anymore writer's block.  The only problem is finding time to write the story... =/  As soon as this fall is over, I think I'll have plenty of time.  Sorry to everyone that I've kept waiting...

Calody

:D Finally!

Chapter 30: Could Somebody Please Distract my Boyfriend?

We spent the rest of the day explaining to Vincent just exactly what a fledgling vampire was, blood-thirsty habits and all.  We explained how human blood would seem so much more appetizing than animal blood, but if he wanted to stick around town, he would have to deal with the ‘vegetarian diet’ that the Cullens enforced (I would never be able to kill Vincent, but I wouldn’t allow him to kill innocents in my vicinity either).  We told him that he would be a lot stronger than the humans around him, and much faster, so he would have to be very careful around the humans so he didn’t scare them.  We mentioned that he would look a little different, but we didn’t want to overwhelm him too much with the idea of red eyes and chalky skin. 

“They would change to gold in a few months,” I insisted, touching his leg gently, “if you stuck to the vegetarian diet.  It wouldn’t be that big a change.  It’s just a little lighter than your eye color now.”

“It’s still creepy,” he muttered.

We skipped over the whole burn-until-you’re-crazy-while-you-become-immortal concept altogether, hoping we would never need to tell him that little detail.  Hoping he could stay human, at least for a while.

After all the eerie details of vampire life were taken care of, Vincent and I left for my house.  I didn’t want him going home with his brain so full of fuzz that he couldn’t think about anything else for the rest of the night.  I wanted to find a way to distract him from the afternoon’s events before I sent him home to his mother.

“How are you doing?” I asked hesitantly, hoping he wasn’t dwelling too much on his recent information overload.

“Umm… Good?” was his reply.  I chuckled a little.

“I’m really sorry, Vincent,” I said, for about the millionth time since we’d started our flight home (it was the most convenient way to travel, now that he knew my secret).

“Stop saying that,” he sighed.  “It’s not your fault.”

“But it is,” I insisted.  “If I didn’t exist, you would never even be going through this.”  He tried to twist his head around to look up at my face.

“If you didn’t exist, Emmett would have sucked all the blood from my body last night.”  I shuddered.

“I guess that’s true…”

“If you want to lay blame on someone, I’m the one who asked you on that date.”

“Oh, don’t even try to make this your fault!” I said, rolling my eyes.  “It’s my fault I said yes.”
            “Or maybe I’m just too sexy for my own good?”  A surprised laugh escaped my lips at this comment.  I’d never heard him use that word before.

“Yes, you are way too… sexy.”  I giggled.

At this point we had landed back in the alley we came from and were walking across town, towards my forest.  He still hadn’t said much, other than during our rather short conversation over the topic I was futilely trying to avoid.

“What are you thinking about?” I asked, twining our fingers together.  He sighed.

“You already know.  Today has been crazy,” he murmured ruefully, glancing at me from the corner of his eye.

“I know, Vincent,” I replied, “but you really shouldn’t think about it now.  We don’t want you to slip up and say anything to your parents.”  He laughed humorlessly.

“Oh, what exactly am I going to say?  ‘By the way, my girlfriend has wings and the new kids in school want to suck my blood?’  They would send me straight to the insane asylum.”  I grimaced; it did sound crazy.  “Besides, I don’t think something like that would escape from my mouth during a normal, human conversation.”

“Well, you never know.  They could ask you what you did today.  And then what would you say?”  He pursed his lips, his eyebrows furrowing as he thought.

“I suppose I would say that I hung out with you,” he finally replied.  “It is true, to some extent.”  He saw my worried expression.  “Don’t worry, I’ll watch my tongue,” he promised.  “The last thing I’d want to do is tell my parents about it, anyway.  They would consider you a bad influence for forcing such ridiculous stories into my head.”  I laughed.

“Please.  Your mom couldn’t care less how crazy I am!” I retorted.  “You know how much she’s probably wanted you to have a girlfriend?  She was practically drooling over us when I came to help you with your math homework last week.”  He chuckled.

“I guess that’s true…”

“We still don’t want you to tell her, of course, but if something does slip out, feel free to blame me for telling you ghost stories all day.”  His lips curved up slightly and he pulled me in for a one-armed hug.

“Thanks, Anira,” he murmured.  I smiled in response.

“By now we had reached the edge of my forest, home to the frightful nightmare that had completely unraveled my secret in less than 10 minutes.  I felt Vincent shudder at my side.

“Come on,” I said, gently tugging at his shirt sleeve.  Very hesitantly, he followed me in.

The atmosphere of the forest was completely different in the afternoon than at night.  While at 10:00 pm there had been shadows jumping out at every turn, now nothing could escape the shafts of light that shone through the leaves.  While there was no way to run when Emmett attacked, for fear of tripping over hidden branches or tree roots, now everything was visible, even incandescent from the sun’s rays.  Even the air seemed different, lighter somehow, making it easier to breathe.  All traces of the scuffle we’d had the night before had been erased with the light.

We walked through the woods in silence for a while, just looking around at all the trees, listening to the little animal noises and the crunch of the leaves.  Before long, we arrived at my house.

And, surprise, surprise, found another piece of paper taped to my door.

“What’s that?” Vincent asked, pointing to the notice questioningly.  I ripped it off the wood and jammed it into my jeans pocket.

“It’s nothing,” I lied, opening the door and letting him inside.  “Just some solicitors asking me to buy something.”  He nodded.

“Yeah, they do that to us all the time!  But why would they come here?  No offense, but your house looks pretty abandoned when you’re not in it.”  I laughed a little nervously.

“Well, you know, if they’re desperate enough, they’d risk it.  What harm could they do by advertising to a house with no people in it?”  He chuckled, then shivered.

“Geez, it feels abandoned, too.  Don’t you have a heater or something?  It’s just as cold in here as it is out there.”  I sighed and gave him a sheepish smile.

“Yeah, about that… One of the cool things about Faeries is that we aren’t affected by temperatures.  Having a heater would just be an unnecessary waste of money.”

“What about when guests come over?”

“Vincent, I’m amazed YOU found my house.  Nobody’s even supposed to know about it, really.  I never planned on having guests.  Like, ever.”  He frowned.

“I always knew you were different, Anira,” he said.  “I didn’t know how different, but I knew you weren’t like everyone else ever since I first laid eyes on you in 8th grade.  You were withdrawn, but friendly.  The only other person you ever seemed to hang out with was Nick.”  He made a face at the name.  “Now I guess I know why.”  I laughed.

“I know I’m supposed to try to blend in,” I said wryly, “but there’s only so much social interaction I can take before I say something stupid and give myself away.  As you’ve noticed.”  He grimaced a little.

“I’m fine with you being a… a faerie,” he replied earnestly.  “I’m just having a hard time wrapping my mind around… well, you know, being a vampire.”

“You’re not a vampire and you’re not going to be,” I said sharply.  He jumped at my tone in surprise.  “We’re going to do everything in our power to keep that from happening,” I added more gently.  He nodded thoughtfully.

“Then why did you tell me all those things about newborn vampires?  It sounded like it was pretty decided to me.”

“That information was solely so you know what you will have to accept if necessary.  We’re going to keep you away from the Volturi, Vincent.  Don’t worry about being a vampire.  It’s not going to happen.”  My voice came out confident, but we both knew I couldn’t promise something like that.  However, he seemed consoled nonetheless.

“Okay,” he said, smiling.  I grinned back.

“Now, are we done talking about this?  Or do I need to distract you?”  His smile broadened.

“Hey, I think it’s time for me to be in charge of the distractions for a change,” he said playfully.  “You’re under just as much stress as I am.  I can see it in your eyes.”  I grimaced.  “Come on, let me help.”  He lifted his hands to my face gingerly and leaned in close.  My breath caught in my throat.  “Are you distracted yet?” he whispered.

“Not quite,” I managed to breathe.  His lips curved up at the edges.  And then he kissed me.

This feeling was so different from the way I felt when Nick had first kissed me.  That feeling was nice, but hollow somehow.  The craving I felt when I had kissed him back was more of a craving to feel loved, rather than a desire for the actual person.  Back in 8th grade, I couldn’t tell the difference.  Now, it seemed crystal clear.  Because the sensation coursing through my veins the moment our lips touched was more powerful than anything I had ever experienced.  It was electrifying.

“Follow me,” I murmured, twining my fingers in his.  With that, I pulled him into my bedroom – the only room with any comfortable furniture – and shut the door.  He was right; we were both in need of some major distractions, and right now all I wanted to do was lose myself in his arms and forget about the world for just a few precious moments.

Because as much as I knew his life was in chaos right now, mine was about to get infinitely worse.

Ms. Anira DeCaprio,

You have been summoned to appear in court on the day of Sunday, January 10, to determine the whereabouts of your new home…

Poor Anira is under so much stress!   I hope everything works out for her and Vincent!  They are great together.

Thanks guys. :)  I've been working a bit on the next chapter, and after that I think it'll be pretty easy sailing for me as far as writer's block goes. :)

Hi Calody

I am a new reader - read from the beginning to here and have to say I love the twists it has taken so far :D

please let me know when you update

DarkOne

Hey all.  I know I haven't updated in a while, and I know I've apologized a lot for that.  Basically, I just hope I can finish this fanfiction before I go off to college.  I finally finished another chapter, and I was going to hold off on posting it until I finished writing the whole story, but I decided that if I did that, I would forget to warn you about a few things in this chapter, and I don't want to be accused of copyright infringement.  First, there's a court scene in this chapter that isn't necessarily realistic at all.  I've never been to court, so I have no idea how accurate I was.  Second, there's a huge chunk of this chapter that has been directly quoted from Breaking Dawn, chapter 36.  This is not mine, it is Stephenie Meyer's.  I just wanted my story to be as "historically accurate" as possible, so I had to take quite a bit from the original book.  You have been warned.

Chapter 31: The Last Dream

“Anira DeCaprio.”  I approached the bench nervously, fiddling with the small strand of hair that had loosened from my bun.  “I trust you’ve gotten the list of foster homes that were delivered to your… house?”  He made a discouraging face at the last word.  Obviously he didn’t think my home was a suitable living space.

“Yes,” I replied.

“And have you chosen your new family?”

“No.”  The judge sighed.

“Anira, I’m sure this must be a difficult situation for you, but you’re only fifteen.  You can’t live in that ruddy old cabin forever, especially not as a high school student with no parents, no job, and no money.”

“I have some money,” I mumbled.

“Is it enough to pay rent?” the judge asked sarcastically.  “Or need I remind you that your house is on government property, and shouldn’t exist?”  I sighed exasperatedly.

“I didn’t like any of the families.”  He frowned.

“This is not up for discussion,” he said sternly.  “You are going to have to choose one of these households, or I will have no choice but to choose for you.”

“No!” I said a little loudly.  He raised an eyebrow.  I cleared my throat awkwardly.  “I mean, you don’t have to do that.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah.  Um, I may not have liked the families on that first sheet of paper, but…”  I hesitated, then sighed.  I really had no other choice at this point.  “There is one family… that I think would be okay to live with.”  The judge nodded and began shuffling through the papers on his desk.

“Wonderful.  Which one?”

“The Cullens.”  He continued to shuffle through the papers, the expression on his face becoming increasingly confused.

“There is no Cullen family on this list.”

“Oh, yes, I know, but I talked to them.  They live in my town, and they said they would be interested in taking me in.”  He frowned again.

“Well, that would be great, if we could believe you.”  I grimaced.  “As it stands, you’re going to have to take this family to court with you.  Just to ensure that they’re really willing to take you into their home.”  I nodded, keeping my poker face.

How was I going to tell the blood-suckers about this?

ZZZ

I walked into my bedroom and fell back onto the bedspread with a sigh.  How could everything in my life be this terrible for this long?  It had been a whole two weeks since that first twist of pain in my stomach, and it showed no sign of easing up any time soon.  Even though I technically had a home now, a place that had been offered up to me until I turned 18, my heart didn’t feel any lighter.  If anything, now I just felt guilty for taking advantage of the vampires’ offer.  I knew that not all of them welcomed me into their home.  It was just the whim of the kind brunette that even made their house an option.  How would the mind-reader feel?  Or that preppy blonde?  And what about that mutt, Jacob?  Would I be willing to live on the same property as him?  Now that Vincent was no longer with me, my disgust had returned for the shapeshifter, though luckily not as powerfully as before.  This new situation I had put myself into was full of flaws.  Would I really be able to overlook them all?  Could I really gain all the vampires’ favor before my next court date on Thursday?

I let out a loud groan and buried my head into my pillow.  This was impossible!

Before I could get too freaked out over my current predicament, I heard my phone buzz on my bedside table.  It was a text message.

Meet me in the main hallway before school tomorrow. ~Alice

I had to reread the text about three times before it sank in.  She wanted to talk to me?  About what?  And how had she gotten my phone number, anyway??  I hadn’t even thought about that when she called yesterday, but it was a pretty legitimate question.

I picked up my phone after a few minutes of mulling over her request, not entirely sure what to say.

OK, I guess. ~Anira

I hit send and threw the phone back in its spot.  It wasn’t like she needed a reply.  She would be able to see whether or not I was going to show up.

This reminder of her strange talent brought with it the probable answer to my earlier question: she probably wanted to talk to me about what I said to the judge today.

But… she couldn’t see my future.  She could only see humans and vampires.  She said so herself that whenever I got involved, the future was just a big blur.  So she couldn’t possibly have seen my encounter at court.  Maybe she could see that she couldn’t see her future anymore, because I would be mixed up in it?  Did that even make any sense?

Ugh, forget it.  I was tired, I was frustrated, and I was confused.  I would figure it out tomorrow.  For now, I was going to bed.

ZZZ

I stared at my sisters in horror.  My beautiful sisters, whom I had lived with for generations; who had endured so many hardships, so much pain and suffering, almost as much as I had.  Almost.

How could they take the Cullens’ side instead of mine?  But then, how could they not?  They were our extended family, after all, werewolves or no werewolves.  Did I really expect them to shun our fellow vegetarians just because I held a grudge?  But they broke the law!  Well, at least I thought they did.  They must have seen the child before she was all… well, different.  How could they fight for something so similar to the forbidden, even if she wasn’t exactly what I had expected?

I felt so alone.  Not only had I lost my mate, my true love, but I had betrayed my own sisters, and Carmen and Eleazer.  I could see them amongst the opposing battalion, as well.  They were all fighting for the Cullens, for this… creature.  They didn’t care that they were working with the mutts who killed my dear Laurent.  They were there for the Cullens, to fight the strongest alliance of vampires ever created, probably knowing they wouldn’t survive.

They wouldn’t be in this mess if it weren’t for me.  If I had known that I was putting my sisters’ lives in danger by going to the Volturi, I never would have done it.  Especially since it was so obvious now that my accusation was wrong.

“Artifice!” Caius snapped, snapping me out of my horrified trance.  “Where is the informer?  Let her come forward!”  I looked over at the malicious vampire hesitantly, my face still completely blank.  This whole situation was so messed up, I couldn’t decide what facial expression to use.  “You!  Come!”

I stared for a few seconds longer, not at all wanting to go to the ancient.  I was still trying to wrap my head around the fact that I was completely and utterly alone.  This couldn’t possibly be happening.

Suddenly, I felt something jab me in the back.  I blinked twice and slowly advanced towards Caius.

I stopped just a few yards away from him, my gaze never losing sight of my sisters from across the battlefield.

Caius stepped up to me in less than a second and slapped me across the face.  I clenched my teeth and glared up at him defiantly, trying not to let the humiliation show on my face.  I deserved it.

He pointed to the child angrily.

“This is the child you saw?” he demanded.  “The one that was obviously more than human?”  Once again, I looked at the girl.  It was obvious that she had grown, but I didn’t understand how it was possible.  She couldn’t possibly be human!  I saw her jump at least twenty feet in the air just a few months ago!!  But then, I had also seen a toddler, not a 7-year-old girl, yet they were obviously the same person.

“I… I’m not sure,” I stammered, not sure what else to say.

“What do you mean?” he hissed.  I tried to explain.

“She’s not the same, but I think it’s the same child.  What I mean is, she’s changed.  This child is bigger than the one I saw, but—”

Caius let out a strangled croak, his gaze steely with rage.  I decided it was best to stop talking, for fear of angering him further.

Aro glided over to us before his fellow ancient could humiliate me any further.

“Be composed, brother.  We have time to sort this out.”  I heard him say something else, but my thoughts were once again occupied.  This was my fault.  My sisters were in danger, and it was my fault.  I had to fix this somehow.

I realized a second late that Aro wanted to read my thoughts.  I put my hand in his uncertainly.

“You see, Caius?” he said.  “It’s a simple matter to get what we need.”  He glanced around at everyone, and then turned to Carlisle.  “And so we have a mystery on our hands, it seems…”

I watched in fascination as Edward was summoned to explain their story.  Of course, I couldn’t hear for myself what was going on, but by the look on Aro’s face when he finally touched his palm, it was worth hearing.

The next ten minutes were all spent on Renesmee, which was apparently the child’s name.  I learned what she really was, how she was conceived, the talents she had, her attachment to that blasted mutt, Jacob.  In those ten minutes, I realized just how wrong I had been.  My poor, innocent sisters were lined up to die because of me, over something they didn’t deserve to die over.

“Irina,” Caius barked, snapping me out of my reverie once again.  I looked up in surprise, and fear.  What did he want now?

He snapped his fingers, and I approached him once again.

“So you appear to have been quite mistaken in your allegations.”

“I’m sorry,” I whispered.  “I should have made sure of what I was seeing.  But I had no idea…” I gestured towards the half-blood girl helplessly.  Aro tried to chide him for his harshness, but he brushed the comments away.

“We all know you made a mistake,” he said.  “I meant to speak of your motivations.”  What?

“My motivations?” I asked, confused.

“Yes, for coming to spy on them in the first place.”  I flinched; much as I hated to admit it, that was exactly what I was doing.  I was looking for a good opportunity to get my revenge.  It seemed bitterly ironic now.  “You were unhappy with the Cullens, were you not?”

“I was…”

“Because…?” he asked impatiently.

“Because the werewolves killed my friend,” I finished reluctantly.  “And the Cullens wouldn’t stand aside to let me avenge him.”  Aro said something to correct me, but nobody was paying any attention to him anymore.

“So the Cullens sided with the shape-shifters against our own kind – against the friend of a friend, even.”  I stiffened.

“That’s how I saw it.”

“If you’d like to make a formal complaint against the shape-shifters – and the Cullens for supporting their actions – now would be the time.”  He smiled expectantly.  I raised my chin defensively in response.

“No, I have no complaint against the wolves, or the CUllens.  You came here today to destroy an immortal child.  No immortal child exists.  This was my mistake, and I take full responsibility for it.  But the Cullens are innocent, and you have no reason to still be here.”  I turned to look across the battlefield at all the people who were lined up to die because of me.  “I’m so sorry.”  Then I looked towards the Volturi witnesses.  “There was no crime.  There’s no valid reason for you to continue here.”  There; let the Volturi try to kill my family now, now that everyone knew there was no reason to punish them.

Caius raised his hand up, and at first I thought he was going to slap me again.  But then I realized he was holding something.

A lighter.

ZZZ

I lurched out of my bed, tears streaming down my face, my heart pounding hard enough to break a rib.

“I’m sorry,” I whispered.

Now she remembers everything!  I wonder how the Cullens will react when she says she wants to live with them?  Will they be able to reconcile their past differences?  And more immediately, why does Alice want to see her?  Thanks for posting this chapter now.  I can't wait to see what else you have in store for us!

Sorry, this one's a little short...

Chapter 32: Odd Requests

I woke up the next morning feeling like crap.  After waking up from that horrid dream last night, I couldn’t fall back asleep for fear of being enveloped by flames.  I knew what happened next.  I knew everything without question.  Irina had been unjustly murdered.  I had been unjustly murdered.

I sighed and walked into the bathroom, observing the slight bags under my eyes.  This was going to be a fun day at school.  Why couldn’t I have had that stupid dream two nights ago??

I brushed through my hair quickly and went to the fridge to grab some fruit.  There was only one apple left.  I was just about to take my first bite when I heard my phone go off in the other room.  It was another text message from Alice.

Don’t forget. ~Alice

Right.  I was supposed to meet her before school for some mysterious reason.  The time on my phone read 7:45.  So I only had about 5 minutes before I had to leave for our little chat.  Why couldn’t I get more than 5 minutes of free time to relax anymore??

I didn’t bother replying.  If I was really starting to get on the vampires’ good side, I didn’t want a grumpy text to be taken the wrong way and send me a few steps backward.  I needed all the brownie points I could get if I was going to ask to live with them.  Ugh.

After scarfing down my apple and changing into a normal-looking outfit – a sweatshirt and jeans – I grabbed my backpack and headed out the door. Luckily nobody was out and about yet this morning, so I just slipped my wings through the hole in the back of my shirt and flew the whole way to school.  I landed in the bushes a few yards away from the front doors.  The familiar little vampire was standing just on the other side of the glass.

“Uh, hi, Alice,” I said awkwardly, walking up to her and doing my best to keep the grumpy tone out of my voice.  She turned to look at me and smiled.

“Hello Anira.”  A few moments of silence passed between us, and I shifted my weight uncomfortably.  Why was she smiling at me?

“So… what did you want to talk to me about?” I finally asked, rubbing my neck.  Her grin grew smug.

“Actually, I just wanted to know if you wanted to go shopping after school today?”  I felt my jaw drop a few inches.  She had to be joking.

“You… want to go shopping?”

“Please???” she begged, grabbing my arm.  I blinked in surprise; none of the other vampires had dared touch me before, especially not in such a thoughtless manner.  She must have been desperate for a shopping partner.

“Uh, sure, I guess.”  She squealed excitedly.  I gave her an odd look, silently pointing out that I thought she was nuts.

“Oh, don’t look at me like that,” she chided.  “You have no idea what I have to live with!  Bella never wants to go shopping, and she hardly ever lets Renesmee go with me.  Rosalie comes along sometimes, I guess, but she’s so picky about her clothes and she can’t shop for hours like I can and I just need a new face to model for me!”  She did a little sort of happy dance and gave me a big, genuine smile.  “Besides, none of my brothers or sisters have any occasions coming up that we need to shop for, but you do.”  I raised an eyebrow.  “Oh, come on, Anira!  Nobody has any birthdays around here without me hearing about it.  I know your birthday is this Saturday, and I know Vincent is hoping you’ll throw a party for once, though he’d never admit it to you, and I can make that happen.”  I rolled my eyes.

“Okay, whatever.  What time should we plan on this shopping trip, then?”  Her smile returned.

“Right after the last class of the day.”  How was I not surprised?  “I’ll meet you outside your classroom.”

“Okay, I’ll see you then.”  At the very least, this would be some good girl bonding time to make her hate me a little less.  Well, she wasn’t really acting like she hated me right now, but it was better to be safe than sorry.  Besides, I definitely needed something to take my mind off of things, and shopping was the perfect brainless, shallow, time-wasting distraction available to mankind, so how could it hurt?

After we went our separate ways, I began to look for Vincent.  It was 8:15 at this point, so he had to be around here somewhere.  I found him a few minutes later, standing outside his first hour class, and strangely enough, he was talking to Emmett.

Could this day get any weirder?

“Hello Anira,” he greeted me, smiling widely as he took my hand in his.  I felt butterflies form in my stomach at his touch, and I couldn’t resist smiling back at him.

“Hi Vincent,” I said.  Then I looked at the burly vampire standing next to him.  “Hey Emmett.”

“How’s it going, short stuff?” he said, grinning at me ruefully.  I rolled my eyes and shrugged.

“I’ve been worse.”  Not by much, but it was technically true.  “How about you?”

“Oh, it’s going fine, other than the fact that a toothpick beat me up on Friday.”  He lifted his hand to examine his nails casually, the grin still playing around his lips.  “My buddy Vincent and I were just planning out the rematch.”  Buddy?  Planning?

“Oh really?” I asked, raising an eyebrow at my boyfriend.  He gave me a sheepish grin.

“Well, more like he’s planning the rematch, and I’m listening to him rant.”  I chuckled.

“It’s nice to see you two getting along, at least.”  I observed the two of them skeptically.

“If I’m going to be a part of this crazy group, I don’t want to be afraid of anyone in it,” Vincent explained, glancing pointedly at Vincent.  Obviously he was still a little intimidated by the vampire, but the fact that he was making an effort to talk to him was admirable.  “Even if I don’t… well, you know, change my diet, I get the feeling we’ll be spending a lot more time with the Cullens, so I just figured that the sooner I’m comfortable around them, the better.”

“Besides, I felt guilty about freaking the poor guy out,” Emmett cut in, giving me that cocky grin of his again.  “I just wanted to make sure he’s more scared of you than he is of me.  You know, because you’re such a scary little faerie.”  I glared at his use of the term ‘faerie.’  My secret was no laughing matter.

“Oh yes, I’m terrified of her,” Vincent said sarcastically, luckily interrupting the snide remark I was about to make.  He wrapped his arms around my waist and kissed my cheek, emphasizing the irony of his statement.  “She’s certainly a creature to be feared.”  I rolled my eyes and smiled a little, then glanced back at Emmett.

“You’re lucky Vincent’s around to save your sorry butt,” I said dryly, “or this ‘scary faerie’ would teach you a thing or two about what is and isn’t socially acceptable to talk about in public.”

“Ah, c’mon, don’t be like that!  I’m just messing with you,” he said, laughing at my serious tone.  “Lighten up.”  After a few seconds of debate, I grinned back reluctantly.  Perhaps I did need to lighten up.  After all, it did sound a bit ridiculous.  I wasn’t about to get into an argument over the word “faerie.”  Arguing over stupid topics was something that siblings did, not soon-to-be-housemates.  And if I had any hope of being a soon-to-be-housemate, it was better to just let him win this round.

“Whatever,” I said.  “I’ll see you in class, faerie-lovers.”  With that, I detached myself from Vincent and glided back to my chemistry room.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service