The Twilight Saga

What if, after Eclipse, Bella and Edward had an opportunity of a lifetime - what if Dumbledore and Carlisle were old friends, and Dumbledore comes asking for help?

What happens when Edward enters the Goblet of Fire...

Banner by Leesa

The Complete Story in PDF: Cullens go to Hogwarts_Jan 20, 2010.pdf

Banner by Tami - thanks so much for the recognition! :-)

Banner by ICEnSTAR

Banner by ale_nicolle_twilighter

Banner by BettingOnAlice

Banner by Tomtom55Liam

Banner by J.R.

** Cullens and other Twilight Characters belong to Stephenie Meyer **
** Wizards and other Harry Potter characters belong to JK Rowling **
** Storyline loosely follows 'The Goblet of Fire' by JK Rowling **

Story Adaptation by Erica Bailey

Other Fan Fiction by Erica:

Actors Hooked on Fan Fiction COMPLETE
Dawn of the Phoenix: Cedric goes to Forks IN PROGRESS
Eclipse EPOV IN PROGRESS

One Shots:

First Kiss EPOV COMPLETE
Edward Decides to Leave COMPLETE

The following chapters, after chapter 1, are hyperlinked. To get to the next chapter, simply click on the chapter title and it should redirect you to the next chapter. Happy reading!

Chapter 1 in main post
Chapter 2 Family Conference & 3 Delayed Plans - on page 1 (seco...
Chapter 4: The Plan
Chapter 5: Decisions
Chapter 6: Packing up to go
Chapter 7: United Kingdom, Here we Come!
Chapter 8: The Port Key
Chapter 9: Welcome to the Wizard World
Chapter 10: Quidditch World Cup
Chapter 11: The Dark Side of the Wizarding World
Chapter 12: Castle Venlaw
Chapter 13: Back to School Preparations
Chapter 14: Hogwarts
Chapter 15: Start of School Banquet
Chapter 16: First Day of School
Chapter 17: Dumbledore's Office
Chapter 18: Spiders, Rats and Vans
Chapter 19: Flying High... Flying Low
Chapter 20: Short Glimpses at the First Few Weeks
Chapter 21: A New Tune...
Chapter 22: Beauxbatons and Durmstrang
Chapter 23: The Goblet of Fire - Part 1
Chapter 23: The Goblet of Fire - Part 2
Chapter 24: The Fourth Champion
Chapter 25: Celebrations and Nightcaps
Chapter 26: Dragons
Chapter 27: Five Reasons for a Very Difficult Week
Chapter 28 A: Shield Practise
Chapter 28 B: Complications and Mysteries
Chapter 29: Testing, Testing
Chapter 30: Revelation
Chapter 31: Final Preparations
Chapter 32: The First Task - Part 1
Chapter 33: The First Task Part 2
Chapter 34: Making Plans
Chapter 35: The Sleep-over -er- Hanging Out for the Night
Chapter 36: The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men... and Vampires
Chapter 37: Every Rose has its Thorn
Chapter 38: Scones and Lemon Drops
Chapter 39: Christmas Day
Chapter 40: Christmas Evening - The Yule Ball Part 1
Chapter 40: Christmas Evening - The Yule Ball Part 2
Chapter 41: Aftermath
Chapter 42: Difficult Conversations
Chapter 43: They Say Time Heals Everything...
Chapter 44: That Witch of a Reporter
Chapter 45: Gillyweed
Chapter 46: The Second Task
Chapter 47: The Volturi Guard
Chapter 48: Coming Home
Chapter 49: Kissing Still Allowed
Chapter 50: That Man is Seriously a Dog?
Chapter 51: A Friend of Strays and Hippogriffs
Chapter 52: Bigger Issues than Rita Skeeter
Chapter 53: Secrets
Chapter 54: Mr. Crouch
Chapter 55: Just When Things Couldn't Get Worse
Chapter 56: Cockroach Cluster
Chapter 57: Memories
Chapter 58: Friends
Chapter 59: The Third Task
Chapter 60: The Graveyard - Part 1
Chapter 60: The Graveyard - Part 2
Chapter 60: The Graveyard - Part 3
Chapter 61: Revelation
Chapter 62: Parting Ways - Part 1
Chapter 62: Parting Ways - Part 2
The End

Outtake: Breaking a Few of the Rules

Erica's Fan Fiction Links

Sequel - Dawn of the Phoenix: Cedric goes to Forks

Chapter 1: The Visitor

“Someone is coming to visit” Alice said, her eyes slightly unfocused. She was having one of her visions.

“Anyone we know?” Esme asked, nervously. It seemed that, in recent history anyway, those words were ominous… usually the beginning of trouble.

“No, nobody I recognize… Edward?”

I listened, trying to catch the thoughts of the approaching stranger… He knew Carlisle, or at least new of Carlisle. “Do you know someone called “Hagrid?” I asked Carlisle?

“Hagrid?” He replied… Hagrid… there is only one Hagrid I have ever heard of, and I wasn’t even sure if he was real… Could it be?

I puzzled over his thoughts. It was clear this was not someone Carlisle had met, but what did he mean that he wasn’t even sure he existed.

“Oh my… Oh my…” Alice’s face went blank again. I watched as she saw the stranger approaching… now noticing something was different, but it took me a few moments to figure out what. He was walking alone, but he seemed out of place, or wrong. Then I saw what it was – he was too big… Or the trees were too small. The landscape looked familiar – I could see the recognizable driveway up to our house, the familiar foliage lining the way… but this guy was huge in comparison.

“This Hagrid you knew of – was he… excessively large?” Alice asked.

Oh my, he is real… Carlisle’s thoughts alarmed me. “Esme prepare the house. I don’t know what to expect, but this is unusual. It is best to be prepared.”

Esme quickly flipped the switch that pulled metal shutters over the solid glass back of the house. Carlisle called us all down to the front room to prepare.

“We have a visitor – someone who, until now, I wasn’t even sure existed. His name is Hagrid – he his half giant, half human, or at least that is what the lore says. From what I had heard, he is friendly and is usually good hearted, but I don’t know anything for certain. As I said, until just now, I didn’t even know he existed for certain.”

The tension was high as we waited in silence, not sure what the night would bring. I was thankful that Bella was safely at home in her bed, though a part of me desperately wanted to have her by my side, just to know that she was safe with me. My logical side knew better. If things went terribly wrong tonight, it would be better that she was at home.

Thump, Thump, Thump… the knocking at the front door sounded like someone was trying to break it down with a club. Jasper, Emmet and I got in defensive positions around the door, prepared to jump in if needed. Alice’s face went blank as she focused on the immediate future. Esme and Roslie stood to one side, ready to attack if it came to that.

“It will be okay.” Alice finally said. We breathed a collective sigh of relief, “He has a message for Carlisle… and Edward. It affects us all.” Suddenly she was grinning. I searched her vision to see why.. Oh, this could be interesting.

“Well, I guess I should welcome our visitor,” Carlisle stated, not sure what Alice had seen but taking her word that there was no danger. “Good evening” he said to the stranger as he opened the door, “Welcome to my home. My name is Carlisle. Would you like to come in?”

“I’d be muc’ obliged.” A rough, booming voice replied back, as in walked the largest human we had ever seen. He had to stoop almost to his knees to clear the standard door frame and I wondered if, due to his width, he would fit at all. He was almost twice as tall as an average man and nearly five times as wide…

“Rubeus Hagrid’s th’ name. Everybody calls me Hagrid.”

“We’re very pleased to meet you” Carlisle offered his hand when Hagrid finally squeezed himself into our entry way. It was fortunate that our house was designed to be very open with high ceilings. As it was Hagrid had to sit on the floor to be able to carry on any type of conversation.

Carlisle then gestured back toward us… During the process of Hagrid’s entrance and settling in, we had all backed up considerably. Carlisle frowned slightly at what could be construed as our rudeness, as he introduced us, “Hagrid, this is my family: Esme, my wife, and our children, Edward, Rosalie and Emmet, Jasper and Alice. Everyone, come and meet Hagrid. He is an assistant to Dumbledore, a gentleman I was fortunate to have met some time ago.”

We all filed forward and greeted Hagrid in the order we were introduced.

“Well, then, the introductions are take’ care of… Down to business. Now where was me note…” he padded around his leather clothing, checking pockets and creases until he found was he was apparently looking for, “Ah, yes, here it is… An urgent letter from Albus Dumbledore.” He said as he presented an envelope to Carlisle.

The envelope looked as though it had come from another time, one closer to when Carlisle was changed then the rest of us. The paper appeared to be parchment, the address written in calligraphy and having the appearance of being written with a fountain pen. It was bulky and as Hagrid handed it to Carlisle, I noticed it was sealed with wax.

“Thank you.” Carlisle responded as he took the letter.

“You sees, Dumbledore needs you to come to Hogwarts righ’ away. There’s an issue a brewing with Harry Potter – nots that there ain’t always something with Harry. That boy is cursed with bad luck.” I smiled as I recalled someone else with that particular ailment.

Carlisle smiled as this Hagrid recounted what was supposed to be in a private letter.

“I guess I shouldn’t ‘ve said that – well, it’s all in the letter…”

Carlisle opened the letter then, scanning it over at once, then reading to the rest of us.

My old friend Carlisle,

Very dark times are upon us, or I would not have risked sending you this letter. A very dark Wizard, Lord Voldemort, is gathering strength. He is using all his power to reappear as he once was and take control in the Wizarding world. This would have far reaching implications in the muggle world, as I am sure you can understand, affecting all creatures, magical and otherwise.

We have a young boy who is the key to our freedom, Harry Potter. His life is at great risk and I need assistance in protecting him. I have received a prophesy that Harry will be entered into the Tri-Wizard Tournament, though he is under aged and unprepared for such a battle. I fear this is the work of this wizard in an attempt on young Potter’s life.

There are few people I trust with such a task, and those I do trust, are already known to Lord Voldemort. I need someone who would be unknown to come to Hogwarts to help protect young Harry. I hope you will accept my invitation to teach at Hogwarts over the coming year. We have an opening in Herbology that I think you could fill given your extensive knowledge. I assume your family would also accompany you. We may have need for the services of your son, Edward.

There is much to discuss, and time is short. I ask you to consider this request with haste.

Your old friend,

Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore.’

There was a moment of silence then as we took in all that was said, realizing that we were not much more clear about what was happening then before the letter was read. Questions flooded to me all at once, as not only my own but the entire family’s thoughts penetrated my head:

“What, there are Wizards? Why hadn’t I heard of this before?”
“What is with this Harry Potter? Why don’t they just un-enter him from the contest?”
“Can I be in charge of protection? Wizard or not, I’ll bring him down” That one was Emmet.
“When did Carlisle meet this Dumbledore, and why is he asking for our help”
“Does this mean we have to move again? I’m almost done high school.”
“I wonder if I could take him… He is huge, but still, I am stronger… I wonder how strong half-giants are?” Emmet again.

“Well, then, there it is – so shall I tell the headmaster you accep’ his offer?” Hagrid said, hopefully.

We all looked up at him in shock. Was he serious? We were just wrapping our minds around the existence of a half-giant and Wizards… And now he was asking if we were ready to go to Hogwarts, whatever that was, to defend against a dark Wizard?

“Ah, Hagrid… I think my family may have a few questions. Do you have leave to respond to them, or do I need to take them up with Dumbledore directly?” Carlisle started.

“I’ll try me bes’ to answer what I can. I’m only the groundskeeper.” Hagrid responded, looking slightly disappointed that Carlisle didn’t answer in the affirmative immediately.

“All right. Thank you. Hogwarts – I am assuming that is Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry?”

“Yes, that is right.” He responded as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

“And Albus Dumbledore is now the headmaster of this institution?”

“Yes.” He began to eye Carlisle as though he questioned his intelligence.

Carlisle turned to us then… “I’m afraid I may need to fill in some of the gaps, here. Albus Dumbledore is a Wizard I came across once in my visits to England. Wizards are not immortal as we are, but do live much longer lives then normal humans, or muggles as they call them. I met him not long before I settled in Chicago, where I met you, Edward, he looked down at me. He was young then, almost thirty, but was already a very talented and well regarded Wizard.

“I did not know much about his world and, in fact, know very little to this day… However, he did tell me about the existence of Wizards and a school whether they developed their magical skills… This is the Hogwarts referred to in the letter.

“Over the years, I have heard word from and about Albus from time to time. That is how I heard about Hagrid. It was really just a story in passing about a half giant who was working with Albus at Hogwarts. I don’t know much more then that. I also recall hearing about some sort of uprising that occurred roughly 13 years ago… It was very dark and there was concern it would have an effect on the entire world, but it died down. I didn’t ever hear why, but I do remember hearing the phrase ‘he, who shall not be named’. I am quite sure, however, I have never heard of the boy you speak of, Harry Potter”

“You’ve never hear’ of Harry?” Hagrid looked incredulously at Carlisle and then the rest of us. Finally accepting that we, indeed, had never heard of this Harry Potter, he launched into an explanation, “Well, Harry Potter is the one who defeated Volde… er, he, who shall not be named in the first place. When he was bu’ a baby, Harry was attacked along with his mum and dad. His parents die’, but when he, who shall not be named, attacked Harry, he survived, and he, who shall not be named, was killed. Or at least that is what everyone though’. He is famous – the most famous Wizard of all time.” He looked back at us all then – as if he imagined we would now recall that we remembered this Harry Potter, but, of course, we didn’t.

“Carlisle,” Esme started, the first of all of us to have actually spoken since the stranger arrived, “Why haven’t you ever mentioned any of this before?”

“The Wizards protect their identity as strongly as we protect ours. They do not, hastily, bring others into their world. It was only because I was involved in an incident that I came in contact with Albus at all. And, it was only because of what I am, that I maintained that knowledge – otherwise the spell they use on muggles would have erased the memory from my mind.” Carlisle explained, “There was never any need to share the knowledge – it was no more then a passing event in my long life… In context, until now, it was insignificant…”

I finally found my voice, “Why does he know about me, then?” I searched through my vampire memories which were as clear as the day they happened, but found nothing. No reason to believe that I had ever met this Albus Dumbledore.

“As I said, I met Albus just before settling in Chicago. We corresponded sparingly after we first met. In one of my letters I told him about my first attempts to create companions – you, Edward, and then Esme. We haven’t corresponded since then, and so I am sure he is unaware of the rest of you.”

“Yes, that’s true. He said I was to find Carlisle, Edward and Esme Cullen. He never mentione’ four more o’ you’s.” Hagrid piped in. “Had a lot of fun findin’ you I did. Not easy to track down… And this land is bloody huge, if you don’t mind me sayin’.”

I saw then, in his mind, that he had to cross the ocean by boat and then travel the country on foot. I guessed he wouldn’t fit on any commercial airlines and I couldn’t imagine a vehicle that would fit him.

“Well, I best be off” He said, suddenly. “What should I tell Dumbledore?” he asked Carlisle.

“Tell him I will consider his offer. I would, very much, like to confer with my family and, I am wondering, if he would consider meeting with me before I finalize my decision.”

“He thought you might say that. Here are airline tickets for the three of you to come to England. Dumbledore would be happ’ to meet with you and discuss the details. I’m not too sure of them all me self. As I said, I’m only the groundskeeper.”

“Do you want anything to eat or do you need a place to rest?” Esme added then. We had some food stocked now that Bella was a regular visitor, but I couldn’t see where we would be able to offer him a place to rest.

“No, I need to be on my way. I res’ when I need to… I’ve a long journey.”

I could only imagine, as he now had to walk back across the country and then travel to England by boat, how long it would take him. I wondered if we would make it there before he did – if we came at all.

“Thank you, Hagrid. Give my best to Albus. I’ll be seeing him soon.” Carlisle shook his hand and Hagrid stooped and squeezed himself back out of the house and started off down the path.

We all stood in the living room watching him go… for once, the shock and amazement did not flood me with thoughts – everyone was truly speechless in voice and mind.

NOTE: Below is Draft #2 of the entire story in a PDF file that you should be able to download to your computer and open with Adobe reader or most other viewers... Also a cover thanks to the magical fingers of Leesa!

Tags: Bella Swan, Cullens go to Hogwarts, Edward Cullen, Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter

Views: 4827

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Erica,
I am trying to read 1-2 chapters a day to catch up with you. By the way. . . how do you write so quickly? It literally blows my mind!

So, I just finished Chapter 15: Start of School Banquet. Probably my favorite part is Dumblebore's little tangent:

“I am not joking, Mr.Weasley,” he said, “though, now you mention it, I did hear an excellent one over the summer about a troll, a hag and a leprechaun who all go into a bar..”

Professor McGonagall cleared her throat loudly.

I was just busting up imagining him up in front of ALL the students and professors about to tell a '3 people walked into a bar' joke! That's like the adult version of 'Why Did the Chicken Cross the Road?'

Love it, love it, love it! Please tell Rob he's doing an excellent job with the story. . . *winks*
Thank you NTF! I'll mention that to Rob (wink, wink) - yes I can't imagine how he finds time to write all this inbetween filming, jetting off to Italy to take half naked shots and then back to LA to win awards... crazy life that boy has.

That was a good line - one of JKs... I wish I had read that earlier. I would have tried to have Emmett or Jasper actually tell him a joke when they meet... I might add that during the editting process...

BTW - I seriously hope Rob commits your version of Breaking Dawn Book 1 (The Honeymoon) to memory before they get to shooting the fourth book...
Well, there you go. . . proof that I have only read the first Harry Potter book. I've seen all the movies, though. My kids love them, and even my husband is looking forward to The Half-Blood Prince!

So, anyone know how to get in touch with Rob? We can send him a copy. LOL
If only we could!

NOTICE TO ALL - IF YOU KNOW ROB - TELL HIM TO READ THE HONEYMOON BY NEW TWILIGHT FAN!!!!
Ch. 62 - Part 2

“But what you said about Fudge – what was that all about?” I asked.

“Ah, Well, Edward – Fudge doesn’t believe Voldemort has returned. He would rather remain in the dark then cause a panic…”

“What? How can he think that? Does he think I just died of natural causes?” Bella squeezed me a little tighter at the mention of my death.

“He is afraid of losing his position.” Carlisle supposed…

“Yes,” replied Dumbledore, “and he thinks Harry is just crying out for attention.”

“That’s insane. Harry is the last person seeking attention. All he wants is to be normal… well, like everybody else. How is he by the way?”

“He is doing as well as can be expected.” Hermione answered, “We visited him this morning… but he doesn’t like being around anyone else right now… And he doesn’t want to talk about what happened in the Graveyard.”

“He said that?”

“No, it’s what he doesn’t say…” she sighed heavily, “In fact, he doesn’t say much of anything. He just sat in silence with Ron and I. It’s quite sad, really.”

“That will pass,” Dumbledore said, “He knows the truth, or at least as much of the truth as he needs… His mind is just processing what happened. It is unfortunate that he need suffer so much.”

“We should go down and pay him a visit, Carlisle,” Esme said, “Even if he doesn’t want it… it might be good for him.”

“So, is he going back to the Dursley’s then?” I asked.

“That, too, is necessary.”

I recalled the graveyard – Voldemort’s mention of the magic that protected him there. I understood.

“But I think I will have the Weasley’s send for him as soon as it seems safe.” He continued, “I’m sure he would like that…”

There was a moment of silence as we all knew there was more to say, but worked out how to best say it, or which topic to begin…

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Hermione pull out a jar and hand it to Bella. She shuddered at first as she looked at the contents and then gasped in shock.

“Is that?” she asked.

Hermione nodded her head, “Found her lurking on the windowsill in the infirmary, right by Harry.”

I swung my head to look at her capture full on… It was a large fat beetle, with markings that looked like Rita Skeeter’s glasses around the antennae. “Is that really Rita Skeeter? But she’s been here the entire time… she’ll know.”

“Nope, I charmed the jar. It is unbreakable, sound proof and all she can see from in there is a lovely view of the black lake.” Hermione grinned. “She won’t be writing any more interesting articles – unless she wants me to share her secret.”

Dumbledore had suddenly found fascination with one of the wall hangings and appeared as though he had missed the entire conversation.

“Edward,” He started, changing the topic, “I didn’t want to ask last night, given your condition, but can you tell me what happened?’

I knew what he was really wanting. Though it would be uncomfortable, it was a far cry from the pain that was now dwindling, finally… “Let me show you.”

He stared intently into my eyes, his boring into my soul, dredging up the memories that I wished I could forget – those awful moments in the graveyard when I thought I was dead, and then when I thought I might not make it back. My stomach felt more queasy then just from the intrusion on my mind… the memory was not something I wanted to dwell on.

“I see.” He said when he finished….

“Did you see Alice’s vision – what happened after?”

She rose and came to kneel beside Dumbledore. Using the same process, he took that memory as well. His face became very concerned.

“Lucius” was all he said. I nodded.

Carlisle looked at us in alarm. “What about Lucuis?”

“He shared something with Aro before diapparating.” Dumbledore said, worry in his eyes as he stroked his beard.

“Back at the Quidditch World Cup, he slipped when he saw us… For a moment I heard his thoughts – he thought our name was familiar.”

“That is very concerning.” Dumbledore continued. “If Voldemort is connected to the Volturi…”

“If he is connected to the Romanians, there is no way.” Jasper stated firmly.

“hmmm” Dumbledore mused, “But Lucius, on the other hand, may be keeping his options open…”

“What of Snape?” I asked, quietly.

“Snape is down in his office working on new Potions lessons for his class.” Dumbledore said in a way that intended to say much while saying little. “Though I fear he had a long and painful night.” He added after a moment.

I wondered how many hours of torture he endured before Voldemort decided to let him live… and what he had to promise in order to secure his life. I didn’t envy his role in all of this.

“and Sirius?” Esme asked, “What will become of him?”

“Right now he is enjoying some time with his god son… in dog form of course. But I had a thought… Carlisle, you mentioned wolves in Forks – shape shifters… I was thinking of sending Siruis to make contact with them…”

“Really?” Esme exclaimed, “He would return with us to Forks?”

“I have to discuss it with him, but I think it might be prudent. With what is coming, we need as many supporters as we can find.”

“I am not terribly optimistic about the wolves.” Carlisle warned, “they are stationed with the task of protection of their own. They don’t wander far from home… well, except for…” he didn’t finish the sentence, knowing it would cause Bella worry as she recalled the state of things with Jacob when we’d left. It didn’t matter. She stiffened as she figured out what he was about to say. I rubbed her arm in comfort as she regained her composure. “And we don’t have the closest relationship… thought it is improving.” He added.

“It is worth trying.” Dumbledore sighed. “Well, I’ll join you as you visit Harry, if you don’t mind.” He got up signalling the conversation was over. Carlisle and Esme followed. Cedric and Hermione left soon thereafter promising to return again.

When Carlisle and Esme returned, concern was stretched across Esme’s face. “Poor boy, he just looks like he is in shock.” She said, “Tried to give us his winnings for you, Edward…” If Esme could cry, I was sure she would.

“I’m afraid his earnings won’t bring him much joy.” Carlisle said sadly.

Alice’s eyes suddenly glazed over. I saw the vision as she did, and grinned. “Oh, I think he’ll find a good use for it.”

“Yes, it would appear Harry will make an investment in the Weasley Twin’s joke store…” Alice shared my smile.

“That might be a very necessary thing in the time to come.” Carlisle agreed.

“Oh, and I know what happened to with Ludo.” Alice said excitedly. Jasper ran out of his room to her side. “It would appear he had some gambling debts with the goblins. He bet on Harry to win the Triwizard Tournament.”

Jasper frowned, “That slime, but then he won…”

“Not exactly,” I said as I watched Alice’s vision, “The goblins said Harry didn’t win, he tied…”

“Excellent!” Jasper grinned.

Before we left for good, Esme had to check on the renovations at Venlaw. She was exceedingly disappointed she hadn’t been able to complete the final touches herself and wanted to ensure the Castle was left in impeccable shape. Alice, of course, was just as concerned, though more for aesthetic reasons then concern over the proprietors who had graciously left us their place to live in. Carlisle and Jasper accompanied them, but I was trapped in Dumbledore’s quarters until we left. Fortunately, Bella was trapped with me. She just couldn’t pull off the grieving girlfriend when she was so relieved at my survival. It would appear that Cho was doing a satisfactory job for her.

“She just keeps crying” Hermione reported, “You’d think it was her boyfriend who died.” The slight annoyance in her voice was mixed with concern.

“We were good friends.” I said gently, then teased, “Wouldn’t you cry for me?”

She huffed and turned her head to Bella to change the subject. “So aren’t you getting bored up here all day everyday?”

Bella blushed, “Umm not really.” She smiled at me. “It’s kind of nice after such a stressful year to just have a few quiet days.”

I agreed. Plus now that my body had returned to full functionality, I had been able to repay Bella for taking advantage of me on the night of my return from the dead. Admittedly, a few of the rules had been broken…

“What are you going to do about the yearend feast?” Hermione asked.

“I think I’ll just stay up here.” Bella replied. “I just don’t want to face anyone right now.

Esme, Carlisle, Alice and Jasper returned just then.

“Well, there are a few things I would have liked to have done, but over all, it looks good.” Esme smiled in relief. She wouldn’t have left if it hadn’t.

“I still think we could have added a closet or two…” Alice considered.

“It’s a bed and breakfast, Alice” I pointed out, “How much closet space do you think they’d need.”

“And it isn’t period.” Esme pointed out.

Not period… closets are always in style.

The next day was the Feast. As discussed, Bella and I would stay back in Dumbledore’s residence while the others went. Her excuse was not being able to face the others and pretend to be distraught over my death… but a part of me hoped it had to do with our alone time.

Alice, of course, went overboard, helping Hermione with her hair and make-up and finding an outfit to wear under her robes. As a result Hermione looked quite nice… I couldn’t wait to see the result on Ron. For once, I chose to watch the festivities in his mind.

Bloody Hell… What is with her this year – all fancied up… probably all for him.. His glare fell momentarily on Krum who was also watching Hermione enter the Hall, with the look of a blind man just given the gift of sight. Don’t know why she can’t just wear her normal stuff… but underlying his forced thoughts was unmistakeable attraction and jealousy… That was an emotion I had come to understand all too well. She looked up at the far end of the room, drawing Ron’s gaze to follow hers.

The Hall wasn’t its normal cheerful place. The decorations had been removed and black drapes hung on the wall behind the teacher’s table. I instantly realized this was in my honour. I was horror struck and awed at the same time. Professor Moody – the real one I assumed, was seated at the table, looking extremely twitchy and nervous. I suppose it made sense after his ten month imprisonment. Professor Karkaroff’s chair was empty. I thought bleakly of that night. I wondered if he had been found yet by Voldemort and, if so, how he was faring. I didn’t like or trust Karkaroff, but I didn’t wish him the kind of death that was sure to find him.

Madam Maxim was already seated as well, looking much more cheerful then she had since the Yule Ball. She was sitting next to Hagrid and, if I wasn’t mistaken, seemed particularly happy to be engaged in quiet conversation with him. McGonagall and Snape were also already seated. I wished Ron kept his gaze on Snape longer, but he was much more interested in returning his eyes to Hermione. I quickly switched to Harry’s mind. He stayed much longer watching Snape. I wondered at the dark shadows under his eyes and his face much paler then usual. He looked like a vampire long thirsty for blood. He was more then physically exhausted… He was mentally drained. Harry was sceptical, wondering why Dumbledore trusted Snape unequivocally…

His gaze fell on Dumbledore then, who was standing, forcing the students to grant their attention. “The end,” he gazed around at the entire room with his penetrating stare, “of another year.” His gaze stopped on my old table. I wished I could see them through his eyes, just for a moment. To see my old housemates one last time. Harry noted Dumbledore’s gaze and looked over then, satisfying my wish. I felt physical pain as I looked upon the down cast faces of Ernie, Patrick and James… then finally the not so down cast face of Cedric. He was playing his part – but was perhaps only a slightly better actor then Bella.

“There is much that I would like to say to you all tonight,” Dumbledore continued, “but I must first acknowledge the loss of a very fine person, who should be sitting here,” he gestured toward my housemates, “enjoying our Feast with us. I would like you all, please, to stand, and raise your glasses, to Edward Cullen.”

I was aghast as I heard the scrapping of every bench and the rising of every body, each holding out their goblets and echoing in one low rumbling voice, “Edward Cullen.” A shiver went down my spine at the eeriness of the moment, conflicting with the awe of their joined honour of me – the monster in their midst… Well, perhaps not the monster I thought I had been…

Harry’s gaze wandered over to Cho then, and I saw the same agony of my housemates reflected in her tears as she sobbed quietly. I felt sick for her. She had always been kind, a good friend like Cedric and Hermione… helping me prepare for the final task… helping me calm down that day before the maze… she had helped me despite the fact I didn’t return the strength of her feelings. She deserved better. I wished I had been able to connect her with Harry – to bring them both joy. Perhaps that was someone else’s task.

Dumbledore interrupted my musings “Edward was a person who exemplified many of the qualities which distinguish Hufflepuff house. He was a good and loyal friend, a hard worker, he valued fair play. His death has affected you all, whether you knew him well or not. I think that you have the right, therefore, to know exactly how it came about.” I felt the shame of the undeserved praise.

A gasp was heard in the Hall. I realized it was Harry.

“Edward Cullen was murdered by Lord Voldemort.”

The single gasp turned to many, and then to panicked whispers sweeping through the Great Hall. Harry looked about the room, highlighting the shocked faces, some filled with disbelief.

“The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this. It is possible that some of your parents will be horrified that I have done so – either because they will not believe that Lord Voldemort has returned, or because they think I should not tell you so, young as you are. It is my belief, however, that the truth is generally preferable to lies,” I cringed as I thought of the lie he had to tell now, for our protection, “and that any attempt to pretend that Edward died as the result of an accident, or some sort of blunder of his own, is an insult to his memory.”

Harry gazed over the now frightened faces of his school mates settling on Draco Malfoy – who was neither shocked nor frightened. He was muttering to Crabb and Goyle. Shame Potter wasn’t the one killed… Edward was simply a casualty… I heard the thoughts of the words he spoke to his accomplices. Venom boiled to my mouth as I recalled their fathers, standing in the circle around Harry… and then as Lucious took Aro’s hand. What had he told Aro? What information had been shared? And what promises made? What was the connection?

“There is somebody else who must be mentioned in connection with Edward’s death,” Dumbledore went on, “I am talking, of course, about Harry Potter.” A rumble of sound echoed through the hall, but I saw none of the expressions as Harry’s head dropped and stared at his plate.

“Harry Potter managed to escape Lord Voldemort. He risked his own life to return Edward’s body to Hogwarts. He showed, in every respect, the sort of bravery that few wizards have ever shown in facing Lord Voldemort, and for this, I honour him.”

As Harry looked up in shock at Dumbledore. I heard the scraping of benches again as people stood raising their cups to Harry, but I saw none of it through his eyes, as he locked in on Dumbledore. Then, at the last moment, as Harry looked down, I saw from the corner of his eye that Draco and his thugs had not joined in the salute.

“The Triwizard Tournament’s aim was to further and promote magical understanding. In the light of what has happened – of Lord Voldemort’s return – such ties are more important than ever before…”

I realized then that it was no mistake the tournament has been resurrected at this particular time. Dumbledore had seen the signs, known what was coming. I supposed he had been instrumental on bringing the three wizarding schools together so that, when difficult times arose, as they were sure to very soon, they would have made connections that would hopefully prove fatal to Voldemort’s attempt to regain power. This was why he hadn’t put a stop to it when he knew Harry was in danger, why he had brought us here, why he was now sending Cedric and Sirius back with us… because in the midst of dangerous times, you are only as strong as the ties you’ve made with others… as the love you share with your friends.

My mind suddenly drew back to the sitting room, to the chair I shared with Bella as I held her on my lap. I realized I had been commenting on the proceedings for her as she pulled herself closer to my chest and felt her tears on my shirt.

“I know you are thinking you don’t deserve it, but what Dumbledore said is true.” She said as she held me close, her scent washing over me as it had every moment we’d been together since the beginning of my life… the life that grew out of my existence when she entered it.

I pulled her closer still and kissed the top of her head. I recalled the words I had thought before the maze, that I had shared with her upon my return… They echoed Dumbledore’s message. She was my strength. Her love protected me in ways I could never have imagined… “I love you” I murmured.

“As I love you.”

The End....

The Beginning.
SNEAK PEEK

I just want to thank all of you for reading... It has been a pleasure writing this - and an even greater joy to know others have enjoyed it as well...

I have included here a sneak peek of what I'm thinking for my next fan fiction. It would be a continuation of this story - an alternate universe where Cedric is alive and begins his journey by returning to Forks with the Cullens. My intention is for this to follow the significant events in Breaking Dawn and Order of the Pheonix... from there, who knows? Anyway, here is my first attempt at the beginning of the story. I'll be doing a little more work on this over the weekend and intend to begin posting on Monday... Also, struggling with a name... I'm really not good with names - I am sort of thinking Cedric goes to Forks... (this is where my straight forward accountant mind kicks in...)

Chapter 1

As I recalled my last days at Hogwarts, I felt relief to be sitting on a plane over the Atlantic ocean surrounded by vampires… I suppose I should feel otherwise. Any normal person would – even a wizard.

It had been awkward, being around Ernie, James and Patrick. I had heard their hushed sobs in the night, their stoic faces during the end of year feast. The effort with which they avoided his name… All in vain, I thought… No, not entirely in vain – it was for his protection after all.

And then there was Cho. Her sobs still haunted me. I had heard them enough times during the final week. I had wanted to go to her, to provide some comfort. She was a good person – a good girl… a good woman, really. But I couldn’t. What would I say?

A part of it bothered me – the lies and deception. It burned against every fiber of my being to sit back and act out my part in the falsehood that protected my friend. That knowledge was the only thing that kept me from shouting out the truth – that Edward Cullen was alive… He’s alive!

That truth, though, would only kill him. If Voldemort – I still cringed at the name, but Dumbledore was right. Fear of the name only perpetuates fear of the man himself… If he knew, he would know what Edward really was… and that would be deadly. A flick of the wrist and wizards fire would consume him.

It had only taken until the day after my realization of what he truly was to recall the first task – how Edward had faced the dragon and his deadly fire – all for the sake of protecting Harry Potter… I cringed when I recalled the recklessness of our practice – me aiming wizards fire at him as he hid behind a mere boulder. I couldn’t believe he and his brothers had talked me into it when I thought he was a simply muggle… Even then he could have died, or at the least lost a limb… but as a vampire, a single strike would have been certain death.

I looked over at him, sitting with his love beside him, wrapped up in his arms. It still ached to see them like this… to see her. Edward glanced at me. I flinched. His being able to hear my thoughts was incredibly inconvenient. A smiled twitched at the corner of his mouth. I sighed. He was my best friend, but sometimes he was more then a little annoying, I thought with emphasis… He smiled in earnest. His true love sighed beside him in her sleep…. Edward…

When I met Bella, I knew dating her was a long shot. She is incredible – sweet, kind, good, intelligent, brave… and beautiful. She stood out from the crowd, from the gaggle of giggling girls that had followed Edward and Harry around as Hogwarts Champions. She was out of my league… I hadn’t known then that they were together. If I had, I’d never have screwed up the courage to ask her to the Yule Ball. I had been shocked when she said “yes”… only to find out it was fates cruel joke. She already belonged to Edward.

But I couldn’t stay angry with him. I wanted to… I was – and jealous. Insanely jealous – an emotion I had been previously unacquainted with. But more then my attraction for Bella was my craving for Edward’s friendship. He was like a part of me that had been missing. All the things I wanted for my life – to live out the beliefs I held so dear – to face danger despite the risks because it was the right thing to do – to be noble… he was. And somehow, I felt like he needed me… It was hard to explain.

And that is why I now found myself seated in first class surrounded by a family of vampires with no fear for my life… Because our world is in danger. I believe it with every fiber of my being – and I can’t just sit back and watch it happen. I have to do something.

“Do you suppose the oxygen masks will fall soon?” the voice next to me asked. I turned to see Sirius Black, as pale as the vampires around us, clutching fiercely to the armrests of his chair.

“How can you be scared?” I asked, “You fly all the time.”

“I fly all the time when I’m in control – with a force that isn’t infallible – that isn’t comprised of a million tiny components, run off a flawed fuel source that could run out any minute, at the controls of strangers I’ve never met and have no idea what their background is.”

I supposed he would have felt better if he’d been allowed to carry his broom on board, but Carlisle had assured him it wouldn’t get past security… Something about new security measures ever since 9-11... I wasn’t really sure what that meant. He had looked at me in shock when I admitted my ignorance… asking me why I hadn’t watched it on some device called a TV.

Having grown up in a fully wizard family for at least 5 generations, I had no idea of muggle technology or practices. I supposed I needed to learn before I was unleashed on my task. The thought left my mouth dry and my stomach queasy… how was I to convince total strangers of the coming danger and, moreover, to risk their own safety to come to our aid for the good of the world. It was an impossible task. How in the world did one explain about… Voldemort.

I choked on the name even in my thoughts. I needed to get over that. The story was insane enough without constantly referring to ‘he who shall not be named’. How did you tell others of an evil wizard, a dark Lord, who was hell bent on eternal life and omnipotent power? Edward said he would help.

“We’ve just begun our decent into Newark airport. The flight attendants will be coming through the cabin to collect any unwanted items from your flight. At this time we ask that you fasten your seatbelts and return your seat backs and table trays to their full and upright position.” The cheerful voice chimed over the intercom system. Sirius began searching frantically for his seatbelt.

“You’re already wearing it.” I reminded him. He hadn’t removed it the entire trip. I smiled with ease at his antics. It had been a shock when I was first introduced to him in Dumbledore’s sitting room.

I had walked into the room. The Cullen family was there along with Bella and Hermione. Dumbledore was standing there, a large black dog at his side. I was surprised. I hadn’t recalled Dumbledore ever owning a dog.

“Cedric, here is your travel companion.” He had said gesturing to the dog.

I eyed it speculatively. Really, it was impressive in size, but that was about it. It had no set pedigree and was relatively un-groomed. “A dog, Dumbledore? Do you think they’ll let it on the plane?”

“My boy, this is Sirius Black.”

“The convicted killer.”

“The one and the same.” A voice suddenly came from beside Dumbledore as where once stood a large black dog, there was now a man – almost as scruffy as the dog he had replaced.

“W-what?” I jumped in surprise.

It took some doing, but I was finally convinced of his innocence. I almost chuckled now to see him – terrified as we descended toward North America… killer my foot.

“Hey this is seriously dangerous, you know – one in every five crash.” I heard Emmett’s booming voice from up ahead.

“R-r-really?” Sirius stuttered.

“No, Emmett’s pulling your leg.” Jasper said in an annoyed voice as the elegant hand of Rosalie slapped the back of Emmett’s head.

A sweet pixy like face popped up over our seats then. “Don’t worry. We’ll make it down safely. I can see it clearly.” She laughed pointing at her forehead as she spoke. Her voice was like magical bells.

Suddenly I felt a wave of calm hit me. Jasper! I wished he could focus his gift in one specific direction. I was already exhausted. I didn’t need any encouragement to fall asleep… but that seemed to be exactly what happened. For the next thing I knew I was sitting up with a start.

“Excellent – solid ground once more.” I heard beside me.

“Yes, but we still have to make it home.” One of the voiced from up ahead reminded.

“But we can drive there, right?”

“Not if you want to make it today.” Edward laughed… We’re almost as close to Hogwarts as we are to home.

Sirius’ face turned chalk white. “You mean we have to do it again?”
First Comment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was great!
I can't believe it's over!!!!!!!
Thank you! So glad you liked it... Oh, and congrats on being the first to comment!
Thank you - will do! :-)
Oh my god this is the best fanfic story.You are the best I love it.I didnt comment before because I wanted to read the story first,and it was great.
Hey Danna, thanks for commenting now and letting me know! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it!
Love it!!

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service