The Twilight Saga

A misconception kept them apart. A once in a lifetime experience might be enough to bring them together. Bella and Edward are about to learn some home truths about themselves and each other as they take a journey to Australia and find that things aren't always what they seem.

I know I said I wasn't sure if I would write another one but I couldn't help it. This was planned before I decided to help AnahyR bring her story ideas to life and I put it on hold. It keeps going around and around in my mind so I have chosen to just go with it and see how it pans out. I hope you enjoy.

Previous stories of mine you might be interested in:

The Heart is a Bloom:  Is fame worth it? A different take on the characters of Twilight and how they met. Edward is a famous musician who has a past demon that is about to catch up with him. Unfortunately it is just as he has met the woman of his dreams.

http://thetwilightsaga.com/forum/topics/the-heart-is-a-bloom-now?gr...

No Choice: Edward returns to Forks to fight for a hurt and angry Bella. Not such an easy thing to do in this story. This is set after the Cullens have been away for quite a few months but before Bella makes the decision to cliff dive.

http://thetwilightsaga.com/group/fanfiction/forum/topics/no-choice-...

Loss to LoveSometimes love just can't be denied - no matter how untimely it hits us. Sparks fly between Edward and Bella the very first time they meet; problem is that Bella is already committed to another. See how the two of them deal with their unspoken attraction and how a tragedy could bring them closer together or push them further apart.

Loss to Love was written on the basis of AnayhR's ideas.

http://thetwilightsaga.com/group/fanfiction/forum/topics/loss-to-lo...

Views: 9497

Replies to This Discussion

Chapter Three

BPOV - Defensive Mode

I was livid!

Painfully so.

And not only with the red headed bimbo, who had the audacity to insinuate that Edward was getting a free ride because Carlisle was his uncle. No, not just with her. I was entirely infuriated with myself because yet again I had lost my focus when it came to Edward.  When I looked around at the stunned faces surrounding me I knew I had made a huge mistake and that rankled.

“Bella. You just defended Edward.” Fell from Angela’s lips and the oddity of that had not been missed by any of the people here who knew me.  Their expressions of incredulity taunted me and when I chanced a look at Edward I noticed that besides the shock, he was displaying some sort of satisfaction that I didn’t even want to think about.

Oh no Cullen. We are not even going to go there.

“Hmmm she’s a spitfire this one. Exactly my type, Eddie.” I wasn’t entirely sure that I had heard correctly but when Edward’s head whipped around to glare at James and his expression turned from  stunned  to furious in a matter of seconds I became more certain of my hearing. What I wasn’t so certain of was why Edward was reacting so strongly to James and words that shouldn’t mean anything to him. I chose to ignore their stare down and concentrated on the other people standing around me.

“I was sticking up for the whole Cullen family,” I stated begrudgingly but before I could say anything more Victoria spoke. I was surprised that my outburst had kept her silent for so long. She didn’t look like the type who would sit back and allow someone to have a go at her. I prepared myself for her scathing words but was left confused when instead of addressing me she began to artfully retract her words to Edward who was now looking at her with a blank expression.

“Oh Edward. I am sorry if I offended you. I didn’t mean to insult you,” Her hand was on his arm again and her head was tilted so that she could cast him a guileless  gaze that was no doubt meant to melt his heart. I couldn’t bring myself to see how Edward responded to her manipulation. It was none of my business and I had already shown the others that I wasn’t as immune to him as I wanted them to believe. I arched my eyebrow when Victoria turned to Alice and apologised to her also. It pleased me to see that Alice’s only response was a narrowing of her eyes and a slight nod of her head. Alice was not stupid and she would see through Victoria’s facade.

“Of course the two of you worked hard to get into the project and I am sure I will get to see just how good you both are in your respective fields once we get to Australia.” Victoria’s high pitched voice was getting on my nerves now and I wished that she would just stop her talking and give us all a break. Instead of my wish coming true I had to listen to more of it as she tried to make her voice become  lower  and more alluring for Edward’s benefit. “I intend to do my best to make up for my little mistake and can guarantee you Edward that I will be a wonderful nurse to your doctor.”

I coughed and spluttered in disbelief at her shameless attempt to be seductive but then gained control of myself so as to not embarrass myself again. With a quirk to his lips Emmett showed me that he was entirely amused by Victoria’s words and Edward’s  faltering acceptance of her apology. I rolled my eyes at Emmett and gave a slight shake to the head and his answer was a quick loud boom of laughter.

“Well on that note I think I might see you all later and go and do........um......that thing I was intending to do and leave you people to play doctors and nurses on your own.”

Edward stared directly at Emmett with a murderous glare that only made Em smile even wider.

“I’m with you Emmett,” I quickly agreed because there was no way I was going to be able to stand here and handle anymore of the flirting. I directed my attention around the group, particularly the new people I had met today and tried to give them as cheerful a smile as I could. “It was nice to have met you all. See you on Friday.”

Alice linked her arm with mine and gave me a reassuring smile.

“I will join you. Bella and I need to get a few last minute things done. As Bella said it was nice to meet you all and I know we are going to have a great time together.”

I was entirely sure she didn’t mean that for everyone!

I felt her move onto her tiptoes as she stretched up to kiss Jasper goodbye. “You’re okay without me for a couple of hours Jazz, right? You did after all promise Edward that you would help him at his apartment.”

Relief rolled off Edward as he gave his cousin a grateful smile and then eagerly began to say his goodbyes to everyone else in the group, including a very put out Victoria who was trying to cling onto him as if she could stop him from leaving.  Jasper was trying very hard to keep his own huge smile off his face as Edward took Alice’s avenue of escape.

“Spoil spoilt,” Emmett leant down to whisper in Alice’s ear so that only she and I could hear. “I was having fun with Eddie.”

“I am not letting that leech get her claws into my cousin, Emmett,” Alice hissed through her pretend smile as she sent a scathing look towards Victoria who was completely unaware of anything but Edward. “He was uncomfortable. I helped him out.”

Emmett harrumphed as the three of us said our final goodbyes and left the room. Emmett quickly took off in the direction of his dorm room, leaving Alice and I alone. She looked behind us and when I saw the direction of her gaze I noted that Jasper and Edward were following not far behind us, along with Ben and Angela. Alice gave them a quick wave and hurried me away from them all.

“So Bella. Would you like to tell me what that was all about?” Alice questioned as soon as we were out of earshot.

I knew exactly what she was talking about but I tried to put off the inevitable. “What do you mean?” I asked innocently.

“I mean........” Alice hesitated and rolled her eyes dramatically, indicating that she knew I was trying to get out of this conversation. “ ….what happened back there to make your usual ice princess routine  thaw out and actually have a kind word to say about one Edward Cullen?”

How was I meant to answer that when I wasn’t even sure of the answer myself? How could I tell Alice that even though I had been giving her cousin the cold shoulder for the past seven or so months that I could not deal with that horrible girl having her hands all over him? How could I explain that I was hypocritically upset that anyone would dare accuse Edward of being anything less than a man with great skill and decent morals?  I was so completely confused by that notion when the reason why I despised him so much was because I knew his principals were in question – that he was able to do something that I could never ever agree with, regardless of his reasoning for doing it. Why had I slipped and gone off at a girl who had kind of been affirming what I already believed about Edward’s ethics?

Maybe because what you believe him capable of has never been proven by his current behaviours.

My inner voice was doing me no favours and I firmly stamped down the wayward thought. My confusion was too hard to admit so I made my voice strong and replied to Alice confidently instead.

“It wasn’t about him. I was not going to let her sully you or Carlisle’s good name and that meant I had to say something nice about Edward.” I shrugged to show my nonchalance about the whole situation.

“Oh right. You were merely sticking up for me and my father. Edward had nothing to do with it? You didn’t look a little green when Victoria was all over him? That was my imagination then?” Alice fired off at me with way too much enthusiasm.

“Yes it was your imagination. Victoria can do anything she wants with Edward.....”

“Except insult him, apparently.” Alice said knowingly.

“Alice can we not do this please? We both know that what she said was garbage and even if I don’t like Edward as a person I do know that he got into this program on his own merits and not because of Carlisle. I called Victoria on it and it came across as more than it was. As far as her having her hands on Edward she can have him. I certainly don’t want him.”

“Me thinks you doth protesteth  too much my dear Bella and one day you are going to explain to me how you can be so negative about a man that you are obviously attracted to at the same time.”

I choked on my own retort as I completely took in what she was alluding to. “I....I am NOT attracted to Edward Cullen......how can you even suggest that Alice? He..... I....there is no way.... he is the last type of person I would ever be with....he....he....” I ended there not wanting to cause any friction between Alice and I when we had done so well in keeping my dislike for her cousin separate from our friendship.  Alice’s face darkened a little and I wondered if I had already stepped over that line in my attempt to deny I felt anything for Edward. She took a deep breath and gave me a pleading look.

“I just don’t understand Bella. You liked him once. What could he possibly have done to make you think so little of him? He is a good guy and as for how I can suggest that you are attracted to him....well that is easy. I have two eyes and I can see that you work hard to keep him out even though deep down you want it to be different. He is not immune to you either. The two of you could have something special if you could just get over this animosity.”

I chewed my bottom lip in apprehension. What she said had a ring of truth to it but I would not accept that he and I could be together because I wanted to hold on to my dislike of him……..I desperately needed to.  I huffed at her so she could see that this was not a subject that I wanted to continue talking about. “That is never going to happen Alice....drop it.”

Alice did not want to cede to my demand. “Bella just tell me what he did to you and maybe we can fix it. Maybe it was a misunderstanding. He sure as hell has no idea what he has done and I have never seen him be anything but a gentleman to you, even when you are ignoring or taunting him with unkind words.  Surely he deserves a second chance. Everyone deserves that, don’t they?”

“Yes, I guess in general but sometimes people just have to take responsibility for their own actions and that’s all I want to say about it. Edward did wrong and has to face the consequences one way or another for it, even if it is only through my lack of acceptance. We've been through all this before Alice and it gets us nowhere except at each others throats. This is one thing I can not share with you Alice. I made a promise and I intend to bide by that. You and I are just going to have to agree to disagree when it comes to Edward.”

Alice looked like she wanted to say more but thought better of it when she saw the determined expression on my face.

“Okay,” she said with a resigned sigh and a whole lot of sadness “But you are right in that we disagree because I can’t imagine Edward ever doing anything so awful that he deserves what you’ve been serving him up. I will drop it because I don’t want our friendship to be damaged but you must realise that I care about him a whole lot too and what is happening between the two of you is affecting other people beside yourself.”

I couldn’t stop the bitterness seeping through as I answered her appeal. “Oh Alice, I am more than aware that this effects other people. You can’t even begin to imagine. I wish things were different for so many reasons but they’re not and I am not going to change my mind. I love you and I love our friends but when it comes to Edward, the subject is closed.”

We stood face to face, eyeing one another with trepidation because there was oh so much more that could be said on the subject and it wasn’t in Alice’s personality to just give up as I was requesting. I didn’t want to start this trip off with a huge gulf between me and my best friend. I couldn’t bear it. She finally gave in with a slump to her shoulders and  a half hearted smile.

“He’s the one for you Bella. I just know it.” She whispered with the most earnest of looks on her face. I quickly averted my own eyes so I didn’t have to see what she actually believed. There was no way I was going to tell her that……….

……….there had been a time when I believed in that possibility too.

Love it!!!

Thanks Ashley

Cheers

Michelle

I love it.I wonder what did Edward did.Hmm.I'm guessing I'll find out later.Anyway,I can't wait for more! :)

Hi Michelle,

Once again another perfectly written chapter, with such depth and emotion.  I feel so bad for Edward how he must feel to endure the cold dislike that Bella has for him, for Alice wanting to help her cousin and her best friend but always caught in the middle and for Bella who finds herself twisting in the wind wanting to hate Edward but loving him just the same. I think she lashes out at Edward because she is angry with herself because she feels more for him than she wants but I wonder what happened to make her feel that they could never be together. I know that is the  big question, the basis of your brilliant, amazing, addictive story but I wonder what could possibly happened to change her belief that Edward just might be the one?? OH Michelle I love your writing and I would miss it so much if you ever stopped posting!! I wish you would publish a book so I could  buy it, put it on my shelf with Nicolas Sparks, JK Rowlings, Stephenie Meyer and Nora Roberts and read it over and over again like visiting an old friend.  Seriously you have such an amazing gift and thank you so much for sharing it with all of us.
I hope you are feeling well and that life is good! I am patiently (which is a real feat for me) waiting for next update but no pressure just take it easy and post when you can.

Hugs

Sarah Beth

High compliments Sarah Beth - thanks so much. I agree that they should all be felt sorry for because they are in an awkward situation. It will come out soon but Bella really does have a good reason for hating Edward ( If what she believes was actually true and all I can say is not everything is as it would seem) At one stage they were trying to get close and something happened to put a halt to it. Very soon I will reveal what Bella believes but not the mystery behind it - that will come later ;)

Thanks for all your lovely words. It makes me feel like it is worthwhile writing when people such as yourself believe in me and enjoy the way I write but I am not kidding myself about ever being a published writer - I will leave that up to the professionals who have a much greater capacity to describe and take us to a new world.

Love ya for all your support.

Hugs and cheers back

Cheers

Michelle

Stubborn, stubborn Bella!

I could ring her neck right alongside Alice right now. As much as I want to know what Edward has done to make her become so annoyed by him at the same time I don't much care what Bella thinks of him. Edward can do no wrong, she needs to just get over it.

Whew, now that I got that off my chest, lol. So please tell me somewhere along the line soon, you will put Bella in her place? I for one think she needs it.

D

Thanks Twilight Chick. You will find out in a couple more chapters. Next chapter will be some of Edward and Bella together so stay tuned :)

Cheers

Michelle

isn't it chapter two?? if not I guess I missed that one!!!!!

awesome as always Michelle, but I wonder what did Edward do, or what Bella thinks he did that is so awfully unforgivable?

keep going with the excellent work Michelle,

cheers

as always Michelle another wonderful chapter .. u know I've read all ur stories and u never fail to impress me with every new chapter and I really find myself in amazement at ur beautiful words .. u have a wonderful talent I mean every story is new even though u write them all .. this chapter is very great Bella tries to deny her attraction for Edward but that won't fool Alice .. I loved how Alice tried to defend Edward .. I really can't wait to find out what Edward did ?? I love u Michelle and keep me updated always ..

ur # 1 fan

Bella

Hi Bella.

I keep saying the same thing but thank you so much for all your support and for the kind words you give me. I have tried to make each story different so I am glad you recognise that. 

Bella is trying very hard to deny her attraction because she really, really does not want to like Edward. Alice is very aware of this even though her and Bella try very hard not to discuss him because they won't ruin their friendship and argue over him. It would be hard to be in that situation though. 

Edward's 'mistake' will be revealed soon but all may not be as it seems.

Thanks again for everything

Cheers

Michelle

It is chapter two AnahyR - sorry about the mistake. Love the blue rose!!!!!!!Thank you!

The big question is what did Edward do and some things will come up soonish to spread some light on that.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers

Michelle

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service