The Twilight Saga

Hybrid

She wasn't ugly, but not remarkably beautiful either. Not too fat, not too tall, not too loud, but definitely not shy. Steelly grey eyes that matched the clouds that hung over Forks under serious eyebrows made her look continually determined. This, paired with a jet black, short, shaggy bob gave her a tomboyish edge. A delicate jaw shape and heart lips redeemed and otherwise solemn face.There was really nothing very special about her at all, and yet still, much more than ordinary.  

These were the thoughts of the Cullen/Hale/Black family, back in their old roost or Forks, Washington for another round of highschool. It had been nearly fifty years since they were last here, and yet surrounded by totally new people, the town itself had changed very little. This was just fine for the Cullen/Hale/Black family, who themselves had not changed either.  As the largest group of supernatural beings living together in North America, they counted themselves lucky to have a place to retreat to.

Forks was where werewolf Jacob Black is the Alpha of the wolves in La Push. He and his wife Renesmee had remained on the reservation while the rest of the family went to travel the world.  

Carlisle Cullen is the founder of the clan, he created Esme, his wife, Edward, a mind reader, Rosalie, the diva, and Emmet, the jokester. They were later joined by Alice, who can see the future, and Jasper who can feel and manipulate the emotions of those around him.  During there last visit to Forks, Edward met Bella, who was a human at the time. After war and conflict and a messy love triangle and a wedding, Bella became pregnant with Edward's baby, only possible because she was still a human. She had Renesmee, a half human-half vampire baby. An overdose of vampire venom saved Bella from near-death, and Jacob imprinted on Renesmee. A stand off with the Volturi came to a draw, and the Cullen/Hale/Black Family dispersed for a while.

They came back together for a short time when Renesmee and Jacob had twins, a boy and girl named Jurni and Caohme. They were the closest thing the world had to a wolf/vamp hybrid, so everyone held their breath for what would come. Other than a growth spurt more dramatic than Renesmee's, Jurni turned into a normal werewolf and Caohme remains ageless.

Now they were back, and they were watching the newest member of Forks High School, Janessa Marquez. She seemed to slide right into the routine, as though there were no new school shock at all, though still in the first week of attendance. All of her teachers already liked her, not surprising seeing how she always got her work done on time, early even. Popularity was common for new students, but sophomore Janessa seemed to like the freshmen more.  She was not unaware of the Cullen/Hale/Black family(CHB). It was impossible to live in Forks and not know about the CHB. Not only was their 'father' the best doctor they had ever had, their seclusive tendencies and perpetual good looks made them hard to ignore.  Edward had been the first to really notice her. As a mind reader, he had learned to tune out the insipid voices of teenage thoughts. It wasn't until he was directly adressed by Janessa that he realized he could not hear her thoughts.   In Environmental Science, they were supposed to be writing an essay about landfills. At the end of class, she said something to him, but he hadn't caught it. Edward was used to just looking into a person's mind to see what they wanted, but it was like there was nothing there. the affect was not unlike missing a stair at the top of the staircase, or perhaps falling because the wall you meant to lean on wasn't there.  She stared at him, large dark grey eyes boring into him in a way that made him feel as if she were drilling into his very soul. Not used to floundering in this manner, Edward forced himself to speak.

"What?" he said, with an air of helplessness and an ounce of defense.  Now, she looked a little annoyed.

"I said, 'Your chair is on my bag.' Three minutes ago. When the bell rang." she said. Edward then noticed that the room was very empty, except for the teacher, Janessa and him.

"Er, excuse me." he muttered, moving his chair.

"Thanks." she said flatly, then left.  Edward was puzzled by this. The only person's thoughts who he could not hear, were Bella's. But that was nothing like this. Everyone's mind was like a speaker, Bella's talent was being able to cover hers. But Janessa didn't seem to have one at all.  He wasn't the only member of the CHB to notice that Janessa was strangley immuned to their supernatural powers. Emmett had her in his Geometry class. He made an off color comment in his usual fashion. This, however, earned him an icy glare from Janessa that made even his century old vampire skin crawl. Jasper, also in that class, immediately hoped to 'help', but could not find her emotions. Emmett had been feeling uncomfortable, and those around him were amused, but there was no emotion for the expression on Janessa's face.

It was now lunch time. Of course, everyone at CHB table had food, but no one was eating, except Jacob and Jurni. Edward had conveyed what he noticed, Jasper and Emmet corroborated, and now they were taking turns studying her, because it would definitely be noticed if ten pairs of unblinking eyes were trained on one person. Janessa sat with a group of freshmen, talking and eating. She didn't smile, but she didn't look bleak or angry.

The freshmen around her would spuratically burst into laughter or call out, but she did little more than nod interestedly. Of course, Rosalie went snooping. Janessa was an emancipated minor living in the house that her deceased grandmother willed to her, her parents were also dead. Her grandpa was some kind of entrepreneur that traveled all over the world selling planes or something. she had a perfect record. She was also part Quiliette Indian.

None of this information was remotely helpful. Nor were Jurni's thoughts. Edward was a litte uneasy with Jurni's infatuation, it was his grandson afterall. he also recalled similar thoughts from Jacob over fifty years ago, and how painful it was for him. If Jurni was meant to imprint on someone, it would happen the at first sight, right? It didn't matter what Jurni felt right now. However human Janessa seemed to be, without his mind reading edge, Edward felt exposed, threatened even. Whether she was just a girl with latent abilities like Bella was, or something more sinister, he knew it was imperative he find out.

Views: 919

Replies to This Discussion

Roman seems to be a really interesting character.  I can't wait to see what he has to say for himself.  Now both the wolves and the vampires are aware of his presence, they will have to establish some kind of contact.  Jim would probably have to mediate and reveal herself.  Or will she keep trying to cover his tracks?  I also wonder about her relationship with Jurni as opposed to her relationship with Roman.  What exactly are her feelings towards them?  And why did she retire as a vampire hunter?  You really have me wondering.  Please update soon! 

Chpt 11

Jurni had taken his sweet time about driving the Camaro back the CHB house. He had been practicing how to guard his thoughts from Edward. He could think of the lyrics to popular songs, especially ones he knew that annoyed Edward, he could count by doubles, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, etc., and he could focus on one object in the room and compare it to life. These were sure to keep Edward in the dark about Jim. It gave him a strange sense of purpose.

But when he arrived at the CHB, he didn't have to try as hard as he thought to control his thoughts. It seemed inevitable that they would find something else to obssess about once Edward was convinced Jim wasn't a threat. He walked into the living room, where Jasper and Edward were explaining what they discovered to Carlisle. Some Werewolf-like scent of something tried to give them the slip. Jurni inadvertantly wondered if recent events were just ego-bruises getting blown out of proportioned.

"It's real, Jurni. This thing is running around scaring away the animals. Not only does it mean we have go further to hunt, but this thing could pose a threat to humans as well." Edward said. Since Jurni left the night before to get away from an argument, he backed off of this one. At least Jim would be left alone now. He quickly started counting to get as far away from his thoughts of Jim as possible.

"You're sure it's not a Quileutte wolf?" Carlisle asked.

"Pretty sure. Sam or Jake would have noticed it right away, even if he was trying to stay under the radar." Jasper said.

"We were getting close to the reservation when we though the trail disappeared. The breeze switched directions at the right time and blew it right at us. I didn't want to risk crossing over into the reservation while we followed it." Edward said.

"If it even crossed over. We can't assume anything, there's just too many questions. How did it manage to cover it's scent at all? Water won't wash away the scent in the air and chemicals would be more easily recognized than the scent itself." Carlisle said.

"And if its scent is as spread out as you say it is, it's been romping around right under our noses for at least a week. How did we miss that?" Bella asked. There were plenty more questions one could ask, but these seemed to be the main two. No one said anything for a long time.

"Do you think it's that girl? Jim?" Rosalie asked. Jurni's jaw tightened but he forced himself to continue counting. 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192....

"Maybe she's a shapeshifter?" Esme restated for her.

"That seems possible. It's also possible that she might be a real Werewolf. We've never come across one, so we don't know anything about their abilities or habits." Carlisle said.

"So her scent only shows up when she's in wolf form?" Emmett asked, starting to pay attention after 'a real Werewolf' was mentioned.

"That's just it. It's not going to be a full moon for another five more days, she wouldn't be in wolf form at all. But, like you said. We don't know anything about real Werewolves." Edward said, turning to Carlisle.

"Jim's not a Werewolf." Jurni blurted.  There was silence. Edward looked at him.

"What makes you so sure?" he inquired, his eyes narrowing slightly. Somehow, it wasn't hard not to think about assumptiuous and self righteous Edward thought he was. Jim was different, but that was the perfect excuse. Jurni could bet that he was concocting several truly intricate and excessive plans to catch, question, maybe even kill Jim, all to restore the quiet tranquility of his undead life. It was a twisted logic, something 200 years in the making. He could tell he struck a nerve, he saw a slight contraction in Edward's pupils. But Jurni didn't expect what would happen next.

"I don't care if you have a stupid crush on Jim or that you have the relentless need to rebel against every word that comes out of my mouth, but there is one thing I am not going to tolerate from you anymore. If you think I'm crazy because I'm willing to anything to protect this family, than you need to grow up." Edward said. It wasn't with his usual, calm, sagacious tone. It was quite harsh, in fact, like a tsunami wave crashing over a beach, leaving the inhabitants stunned to silence. Wordlessly, emotionlessly, Jurni walked out the door and into the woods. Not long after his footsteps disappeared into the woods did another pair come racing toward the house. Renesmee entered, a little unsettled by the quietness.

"Erm....I just passed Jurni. He didn't say anything to me.....Is everything okay?" She asked, half afraid of what the answer might be. Several long tense moments passed before Esme spoke up.

"You should ask your father." she said tersely, before leaving. Esme's anger made it official. It was like the old say, "Ain't momma happy, ain't NOBODY happy."

Jim was pacing in her living room, turning over fresh regrets as well as the old ones. She should have high-tailed it far away from Forks the moment she knew there were Vampires there. She shouldn't have humored Caohme or Jurni with the possibility of friendship. She should have known better than to believe she could have gotten away from her old lifestyle. What she didn't know was what to do next. Roman was in the kitchen, raiding the refridgerator. He emerged with a tupperware box of leftovers and a diet Dr. Pepper.

"Why do you always get diet sodas?" He asked walking into the living room.

"Because regular soda makes me sick." Jim answered distractedly, stopping by the window to look out at the trees across the clearing. Roman settled onto the couch and cracked the soda open. He knew better than to try and make her talk it out, she would come to her own conclusions. It was a little strange that she was so uptight about the Vampires. It seemed that she had already decided not to kill them, what more was there to think about?

"Maybe we should just leave." Jim said finally, turning around from the window. Roman was halfway through a gulp when she made this suggestion. He choked and coughed a little.

"Leave? Why?" He demanded, wiping his mouth. Jim looked at him sharply, knowing that he probably thought she was going to back away from a tough situation like a wimp.

"Because I said I didn't want to deal with Vampires anymore." She snapped. When Roman said nothing, she knew that it was too defensive. She sighed and plopped down on the couch next to him, rubbing her face like someone trying to stay awake. Vegetarian Vampires and shapeshifting Werewolves, as if that insanity enough, but not she had to cover Roman too. That reminded her.

"Why were you prowling around in lion form if you knew there was Vampires around?" she asked. He shrugged.

"I didn't know you were trying to hide from them." He answered simply. Jim cringed at the word 'hide'. Runaway and hide, these were words that never entered her mind before. There was something almost sinful about considering them as options now. Roman looked at her, noticing how haggard she was becoming. She was too young to be so stressed out. He felt guilty.

"I'm sorry Jim. I didn't mean to mess this up for you." he said. She looked at him, then smirked.

"No, you didn't mess this up. I messed this up. But that's okay, you know why?" Jim said, with a sudden burst of energy, hopping to her feet.

"Hm?" Roman inquired with a mouthful of cold spaghetti.

"Because the vamps don't know that. They're freaking out, they're frantic, they're the ones in the dark. As long as I keep Jurni under control and keep you from smelling like a giant lion, I'll be the one pushing the buttons. Or is it pulling strings?" Jim wondered.

"In charge?" Roman offered.

"Calling the shots, that's it. I'm the one calling the shots." Jim said with finallity.

This is a very difficult situation.  I wonder what Jim is planning?  And what is going on with Edward?

I like Jim.

and ouch with the whole Jurni and Edward thing, it made me cringe, literally.

Edward was really letting him have it in this chapter, he isn't usually so stressed.

The vamps are already thinking of another sort of shape shfter I'm not sure how long they are going to be able to keep it a secret for.

Great Chapter

Best wishes

Chris

Love It!!!

Keep Me Posted...

--KITKAT

Chapter 12

Monday morning. No one spoke. Everyone silently went about their business. In every definition of the word, there wasn't any tension, only a definite block or words between everyone. No one dared think about Edward or Jurni. Instead, they filled their heads with meaningless observations about the weather and current news. The TV had never been more interesting to the CHB.

Jurni hadn't come back and it was doubtful that he would anytime soon. If he could think of one good thing about the situation, it was that it gave him the perfect excuse to stay away so he wouldn't have to worry about his thoughts so much. Now all he had to focus on was staying out of wolf form.

As he walked to school, he couldn't help but think about Jim. She agreed to his condition to be sociable, but the way she outlined it made him a little suspicious. Jurni already knew she could be sneaky, but just how far would she go? He drew near the school and knew he would soon find out.

He didn't sense anything amiss when he arrived at school and he casually went to his locker like it was just any other day. None of the CHB were there yet, but it was early. Jurni didn't want to think about his family anyway.

With nothing else to do, Jurni went to World History. He had never been in any of his classes more than five minutes before the bell rang, so being in a classroom that was empty except the teacher was a little awkward. It was a good thing Mr. Daniels wasn't a big talker. He barely looked up when Jurni came in.

Jurni sat down and fiddled with a pencil for a a few moments, looking out the window and listening carefully for any familiar voices beyond the room. When he felt he should look busy, he pulled a notebook out and pretended to be busy doodling in it. To pass the time, he began to draw small triangles on the inner cover, trying to fit them all together without gaps. It distracted him more than he realized because when the bell rang, he started slightly.

People slowly trickled into the room, talking loudly about their weekends and wondering if there was homework assigned on Friday. Jurni looked at each person that came in as though he wasn't quite sure Jim would show up. A strong feeling in his gut told him to look away from the door. He didn't want to but he did. Sure enough, Jim came in and spoke to the teacher about her absences last week.

"Sorry about that, I fell under the weather. I'm still trying to get used to the climate here, it's damp." She explained. Jurni was fighting the urge to look up but something in his mind told him that he shouldn't. It would somehow be like giving her a free point.

"Don't worry about it. I see you know Roman." Mr. Daniels said. His tone was strange. It wasn't far from his usual dry flat manner, maybe a little sarcastic, but more than that. Jurni had to look. Then he almost wished he hadn't.

Roman was huge, blonde and seemed to radiate arrogance. His arm was thrown casually around Jim's shoulders with a haughty curl in his lip. A cracking noise from his hand made Jurni realize that he had reduced his pencil to splinters. It wasn't like he hadn't seen Roman before, it was just that now he seemed much more....signifigant.

"Alright, thank you." Jim said, taking her work from Mr. Daniels.

"No problem. The only open seat is next to Mr. Black over there but don't worry, he doesn't bite." Mr. Daniels assured. Jim nodded, turning around. Jurni felt a little better when she seemed to shrug out of Roman's hold, it had really begun to bother him.

"I wouldn't be so sure about that." Roman said quietly and Jim smirked. Jurni was silently mutinous. Roman was making comments about him LIKE HE KNEW HIM. This wasn't the first time someone said something insulting about him, he'd hung around the Quileutte wolves more than once. They said things ten times worse, robably with more intention to burn him than Roman's offhand comment, but this seemed to really get on his nerves.

"Morning Jurni." Jim said lightly, sitting down next to him. Roman sat in the desk across from her.

"Morning. Who's your friend?" Jurni asked as tonelessly as he could manage. He didn't want to seem bothered by her closeness to him, no matter what the circumstances.

"Not my friend, your friend." She corrected, looking over the work she had to make up. Jurni didn't know what she meant.

"What?" He asked.

Jim looked up, her grey eyes dark and cold but still full of mischief.

"Don't tell me you forgot. Remember our deal? You keep my secret, I get you a friend?" She asked in a low voice, raising an eyebrow. Jurni stared at her, realizing why she wanted to make sure the conditions were clear. She herself wasn't going to hangout with him. Roman suddenly appeared over her shoulder.

"What's with the whispering? I thought we were supposed to be on the hush, even with our thoughts." he said. I looked from him to Jim.

"Does he...?" I began, but then remembered that my family was no doubt listening.

"Oh yes, Roman is very aware of the situation. But maybe we should discuss this later. We're in class and I have a ton of make up work to do. Do you mind?" She asked Roman. He promptly got off of her shoulder and grinned at me.

"Nice to meet you, by the way." He said, before returning to his seat. Jurni said nothing in return but turned to the front and tried to focus on the lesson. Jim had tricked him and he was still stuck with guarding her secret. Roman was someone who knew about Vampires and Werewolves obviously, but his relationship to Jim was still to be determined. Jurni couldn't tell which he was more irritated about.

Now Roman is in school with them too!  This has the makings of a very interesting situation!  Jim is certainly full of tricks!  What will she come up with next?!

I could just see the look on Jurni's face!!! HAHA! he must feel like a loser.

I want to know more about Roman, his personality and how he met Jim. Does he like her? Does she like him?

MORE PLEASE >./p>

now they are all at school, I hope this works out OK for the sake of the rest of the human kids.

Jim doesn't seem to like Roman's tactileness.

Great update.

Best wishes

Chris

Haha..I could just picture his face!!

Keep Me Posted..

--KITKAT

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service