The Twilight Saga

Shadow...Short Story. Not Twilight related. Give it a try please.

This is just a crazy middle of the night, strange short story that wouldn't let me sleep, so I got up and wrote it out. Yeah, I know, it's really out there, lol. Just thought I'd let you guys see what goes through my head sometimes. So without further ado, please try and enjoy my weirdness and let me know what you think. As always, the ending is a cliffy so beware, hehe.  If it's crap, that's fine, just tell me. I put this up for fun, so criticize as you like. No editing done to it. Now maybe I can get some sleep, lol.   Delilah

Shadow:

You might consider me suicidal, but I am not. Nor am I mad. I am simply, empty of emotions and tired of my beating heart, pounding, always pounding louder in my own chest. Slowly, it ticks away, reminding me of my lingering doom on a day much later than this one. Why must it prolong the inevitable? Why must everyone pretend that it is not in their future as well? It’s coming for all of us one day. The dark shadow of which they call the Grimm Reaper will appear whether we like it or not, so again, I ask, why prolong it?

I have been scathed where as my darling wife and innocent children are unscathed by the most dangerous morbid monster; death. I beg of you Reaper to allow me the chance to go out with my dignity intact and without your help. I do not require your business in my home or anywhere else, for what I have planned will only take a moment.

Heavily, it beats again as I ponder on what I have left my family. A regal home, fancying themselves with what I acquired for money. I have done my duties as a husband and father. I cannot regret that I leave them behind. I can only regret that they fancied me mad for my beliefs in death itself. I tried, oh how I tried to release them of their notion that they need not worry about death until their golden age. Its presence had surrounded us all since birth, how could they not realize such a burden had been put upon us from our very conception, I had not a clue.

Life comes at a premium price; death will always follow.

The dark calm waters of the lake, nestled in the center of few cabins, I stood alone on the dock. Knowing full well that that dark shadow that constantly lurked over my shoulder, lingering and waiting to take something from me that was truly never mine to begin with would try his hand at getting me before I could do the sick deed myself. He would not win; I would make sure of that.

I whispered to the shadow in the chilled night air.

“I know you’re out there waiting, but you cannot have me, for this body is mine and I will rightfully dispose of it to how I see fit. I will not allow you to make such a decision for me.”

My beating heart grew stronger with each passing like that of a ticking of a clock. The bell tower beat of it rang in my ears, close to causing a deafness that I did not know existed. Tick, tock it wanted to remind me. I screamed for relief that never came. My voice thwarting words that I was not aware of,

“Please, make it stop. Stop this beating heart. It aches in my chest. Why give me life, only to take it away? I have not gone mad as they all say I have. I see truth where they do not. I see only one purpose to a person’s life and that is death. We’re allowed to experience things in-between that we cherish only to realize later on that we cannot keep them for eternity. The in-between has no purpose if not allowed to keep it forever, so I ask you once, now that I stand here close to my own death; show yourself to me and answer one question, but leave me be to die of my own free will once you have answered.

By all accounts, I should have been afraid, very afraid when I heard the black shadows voice so melancholy not far from me in one direction, but in every all at once,

“You seek an answer from me, do you not?”

My shoulders slumped and my knees became weak. The powdery substance I ingested earlier was finally taking effect. I couldn’t see the lake clearly now, which told me that my eyes had become hazy. With both hands, I reached lower and lower until I could firmly touch the decrepit wooden boards beneath my very body and quietly sat on the edge, allowing my lethargic legs to carelessly hang above the still water. I readied myself for the answer I had been searching for, for so long now as I had been given the chance to ask the question that had been eating away at me from the inside out,

“Yes Shadow, I do seek an answer from you. Will you allow me to ask of it first? I know you must bore of the question by so many like me, but please let me ask it of you anyway.”

His movements were silent, but I could hear them, one solid step to another as he came closer. I dared not look up in any direction in fear that I would see him in every part of my eye sight. The beat of my heart still lingered with a pounding like a drum, but the tone had become muffled, no doubt a product of what I had taken had slowly begun to befall me.

I could hear the faint tapping of the Shadows forefinger on his chin as he weighed in my request and then, finally, he spoke,

“I will grant your request on one condition my lost friend, will you oblige?”

My thoughts rendered me useless at guessing the Shadows motive behind this, but I did want an answer to my question and my life was fading fast, so,

“I will…”

“Allow me to ask my question first, will you?”

“I will, but pleasantries are not needed, so hurry with your question, so I do not run out of time to ask of mine, please.”

In both ears, I could feel his breath whisper to me, “What was it about your life that saddened you enough to poison the very blood that runs through your veins?”

I had to admit the Shadows question was surprising at the very least, but my answer was short, “It wasn’t my life that saddened me at all, I loved life for everything it had given me and shown me throughout. It was death that saddened me. I do not want to die. I want to live…I want to experience everything there is about life. I want to live forever. I have answered your question in full honesty Shadow. Is it not fair for you to answer mine now?”

“Of course lost one... Before you take your last breath which is well on its way sooner than you think, ask your question.”

I heaved deeply, feeling no pain as I thought I would by now and asked of it before my heart stopped beating,

“Being born comes with the inevitable of death, why is it so?”

Motion was hard to acquire now in my slow death-like state, but I caught a glimpse of movement to my left and I slowly turned my head with what strength I had left only to see-a man. “I say, who are you?” This was no distortion of any kind. It was a man. Where was the Shadow?

“I have come to like the nickname you have given me, so I will use it, I am Shadow.”

“No, Shadow is not a mere man as I. Again, I say, who are you?”

“I am the Shadow you have longed feared that would take your life without your consent. Do you wish for me to answer your question before death succumbs you?”

Without the conscious thought of it, I assume I fabricated Shadow to resemble a man, so without further ado and death coming on fast, I said yes.

“I’m afraid my answer will not please you lost one. I am not the one that gives life a beating heart nor do I wish to be the one to take it away to those who wish to keep it within them. I am not the Reaper to all souls that perish. I am, however, without a beating heart. I am dead. I am alive. This may confuse you lost one. However, I’m afraid I do not have enough time to explain it all in detail. You must feel death coming to you. Your heartbeat is but a beat of a bird’s heart. You have only moments left lost one. Do you feel it?”

Shadow was right. I could hardly feel my limbs and I suddenly became peaceful although his answer did nothing to ease me. No longer could I hold my body upright. I began to fall, but had not a clue in which direction I was going. I closed my eyes knowing that this was it. I was going out my way and no one else’s. Shadow’s voice appeared in my ear once more. His velvety tone erected my eyes to open and what I saw was his face only an inch from mine,

“I cradle you lost one to ask a final question if you’re able to give an answer.”

I could do no more than to nod my yes. I had nothing left.

“Life without a heartbeat is possible; death could be nothing more than an illusion. A life with no end, no death could happen if you choose to accept the gift. If you were given the choice lost one, would you choose real death or a death that allows you to live forever?”

He was talking in riddles, I swear it. It was a cruel joke to play on someone so close to death. I detested his arrogance, but there was nothing now that I could do or say that would last longer than my life. I quickly tried to make sense of his outlandish ramblings and wondered if it was possible of the latter, would I want that and I found that yes, I would. Why you may ask, the answer is simple; I’ve always loved life and I wanted to enjoy it to its fullest, but I’d always known that one day, death would become me and take it all away. That was my greatest fear and still is. So while his question may have been odd in its entirety, it would be a nice way to leave this plain and start a new even if it was only a dream, a last dream that I would gladly want.

I was no longer able to keep my eyelids open when I whispered my last words to Shadow and I felt everything of whom I once was, let go all at once, peacefulness swept through me when I said,

“Forever, I’ll…take…forever…”

Views: 483

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Forever,

Thanks for the advice. I will think about that. Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed the short piece :)

D

I did :))))

Hi Dark_One,

Thanks so much. Wow, I really never realized that  could affect anyone as you and others have said. It makes me speechless. Thank you so much.

Leaving questions for the reader is kind of my specialty, lol. In the end, they can make it the way they want.

Oh yes, I always think my things are strange, lol. Glad to know you know how I feel.

Well thank you and you're welcome.

D

wow this is slightly odd. But good odd. This is different, It was like he was arguing with him self on some level which made him sound crazy even though Shadow was like a real person, but it seemed like that to me.  I like this, it sounded like a poem as well lol

i liked it!! i think u should continue. this doesnt have to be really long for u to continue.. it can still be a short story u know? since u already have ideas to write more, u should continue it. maybe dont do it in chapter form so it could still feel like a short story and not a full blown thing. this way ur kinda in the middle.. not doing a full blown story, but still continuing it. because one shots can still be very long. so i think u should see where this takes u. death is always an interesting mystery to read and write about, isnt it? please think about it!! this was wonderfully written. i really like ur writing style.

This was amazing. I feel connected somehow to the lost one. They way he looks at life as a gift and death as something uncontroalable and impossible to prevent from happening. They way he looked at death and took his into his own hands, poisoning himself and letting his life end slowly, by the lakeside. It was beautiful. I want to believe he didn't make it; that he spoke is want to live forever without living just a mere second to late and that he is gone. I feel like, that is the best way to end this story but, I could also see where you could take it if he were to have been able to be dead while living. A human-like-zombie. It's beautiful they way you put this together. I love it. It has me thinking much about how I have always known I thought about things but never put much time into thinking about them. I'm very glad I took the time to read this, short story. Shadow. A wonderful read for those who can put enough thought into understanding it.

- Dajah

Because I loved your story so much, I created a banner for it :) Hope you like it

- Dajah

Wow,

Envy, I love the banner. I didn't have to ask for one, lol. I love it, really. Thank you.

Thank you for the wonderful comment as well. I didn't think anyone would actually like this. It comes from odd places in my head right before I fall completely asleep, lol.

Delilah

Lol well it's great. And your welcome for the banner, i'm glad you like it :)

- Dajah

Hi Dajah,

I am so sorry it took so long to read your comment. Honestly, I was going through a lot at the time after posting and by the time I came back, this short story wasn't close to being on the first few pages. I remember posting the new version and again things went south with RL. A new comment brought it back to my attention after all this time and I just saw your comment. Again, I am very sorry.

With that, I will now comment back to you. Hopefully it hasn't been that long that you don't get to see this. I couldn't write this any other way without having the readers feel his pain, his numbing painful feeling and confusion throughout it all. His questions were spot on. Something we all think about sooner or later. This story came to me as I tried to sleep and it wouldn't leave me alone. His angst just inspired me to get up and jot just the basics down, but I ended up writing this out, lol. It was so powerful, throughout writing it though, I knew one thing for certain; I had no answers as to whether he was actually crazy or whether or not the Shadow truly existed. The more I thought about it, the more I had to come to terms I had no clue. It possessed me in a way.

I think maybe he went slowly hoping to get the answers he wanted, but did he get them? Did he really get them? 

Thank you very much. When something like this takes hold of you it's very hard to ignore it. This is the way it just came out. It wasn't planned that's for sure. Yes, I do agree that it takes a certain understanding to really get this and thank you for pointing that out. I did worry if anyone would grasp this. Thank you very much for your insightful look into the mind of the lost ones story. I felt it was quite compelling.

Delilah

Okay everyone, well, I had someone take a look at this and they did some much needed editing. Please re-read the short story and let me know which is better. Please comment your thoughts on both.

Thanks Delilah

P.S. Also, thank you Envy for the wonderful banner.

Shadow

You might consider me suicidal, but I am not. Nor am I mad. I am simply empty of emotions, and tired of my beating heart—pounding, always pounding—louder in my own chest. Slowly, it ticks away, reminding me of my lingering doom on a day much later than this one. Why must it prolong the inevitable? Why must everyone pretend that it is not in their future as well? It’s coming for all of us, one day. The dark shadow better known as the Grimm Reaper, will appear whether we like it or not, so I ask again, why prolong it?

I have been scathed where as my darling wife and innocent children are unscathed, but I have not been so lucky to avoid the dangerous, morbid monster—death. I beg of you, Reaper, allow me the chance to go out with my dignity intact and without your help. I do not require your acquaintance in my home or anywhere else, for what I have planned will only take a moment.

Weary, it beats as I ponder on what I have left my family. A regent home, fancying themselves with what I acquired from money. I have done my duties as a husband and father. I cannot regret that I leave them behind. I can only regret that they fancied me mad for my beliefs in death itself. I tried, oh, how I tried to release them of their notion that they need not worry about death until their golden age. Its presents had surrounded us all since birth, how could they not realize such a burden had been put upon us from our very conception, I had not a clue.

Life comes at a premium price—death will always follow.

At the dark calm waters of the lake, nestled in the center of a few cabins, I stood alone on the dock. Knowing, full well that the dark shadow constantly lurked over my shoulder, lingering and waiting to take something from me that was truly never mine to begin. He would try his hand at getting me, before I could do the sick deed myself. He would not win; I would make sure of that.

I whispered to the shadow in the chilly night air.

“I know you’re out there waiting, but you cannot have me, for this body is mine, and I will rightfully dispose of it to how I see fit. I will not allow you to make such a decision for me.”

The beating of my heart grew stronger with each passing moment, like the ticking of a clock. The beat akin to a bell tower rang in my ears, as if to cause a deafness that I did not know existed. Tick, tock . . . it wanted to remind me. I screamed for relief that never came. My voice thwarting words that I was not aware of escaped.

“Please, make it stop. Stop this beating heart. It aches in my chest. Why give me life, only to take it away? I have not gone mad as they all say I have. I see truth where they do not. I see only one purpose to a person’s life, and that is death. We’re allowed to experience things in-between that we cherish only to realize later on that we cannot keep them for eternity. The in-between has no purpose if not allowed to keep it forever, so I ask you once, now that I stand here close to my own death—show yourself to me and answer one question—but leave me be to die of my own free will once you have responded.

By all accounts, I should have been afraid, very afraid, when I heard the black shadows voice so melancholy not far from me. Not only in one direction, but everywhere, all at once.

“You seek an answer from me, do you not?”

My shoulders slumped and my knees became weak. The powdery substance I ingested earlier was finally taking effect. I couldn’t see the lake clearly now, my eyes had become hazy. With both hands, I reached lower and lower, until I could firmly touch the decrepit wooden boards beneath and quietly sat on the edge, allowing my lethargic legs to hang carelessly above the still water. I readied myself for the answer I had been searching for, for so long now as I had been given the chance to ask the question that had been eating away at me from the inside out,

“Yes, Shadow, I do seek an answer from you. Will you allow me to ask of it first? I know you must bore of the question by so many like me, but please let me ask it of you anyway.”

His movements were subtle, but I could hear them, one solid step to another as he came closer. I dared not look up in any direction in fear that I would see him everywhere I looked. My heart, still ferociously pounding like a drum, had become muffled, slowing, no doubt, a symptom of what I had taken earlier.

I could hear the faint tapping of the Shadows forefinger on his chin as he weighed my request, and then finally, he spoke,

“I will grant your request on one condition, my lost friend, will you oblige?”

My thoughts rendered me useless at guessing the Shadows motive behind this, but I did want an answer to my question, and my life was fading fast.

“I will…”

“Allow me to ask my question first, will you?”

“I will, but pleasantries are not needed, so hurry with your question, before I run out of time to ask of mine, please.”

In both ears, I could feel his breath as he whispered to me, “What was it about your life that saddened you enough to poison the very blood that runs through your veins?”

I had to admit the Shadows question was surprising at the very least, but my answer was short, “It wasn’t my life that saddened me at all. I love life along with everything it had given me, and shown me throughout. It was death that saddened me. I do not want to die. I want to live…I want to experience everything there is about life. I want to live forever. I have answered your question in complete honesty, Shadow. Is it not fair for you to answer mine now?”

“Of course, lost one . . . before you take your last breath, which is well on its way sooner than you think, ask your question.”

I inhaled deeply, feeling no pain as I assumed I would by now, and ask before my heart stopped beating,

“Being born comes with the inevitability of death, why is it so?”

Motion was hard to acquire now in my slow coma-like state, but I caught a glimpse of movement to my left, and I slowly turned my head with what strength I had to see—a man.

”Who are you?” I asked. This was no distortion of any kind, nor a hallucination. It was a man. Where was the Shadow?

“I become fond of the nickname you have given me, so I will use it. I am Shadow.”

“No, Shadow is not a mere man,” I ask again. “Who are you?”

“I am the Shadow you have long feared that would take your life without your consent. Do you wish for me to answer your question before you succumb to death?”

Without conscious thought, I assume I fabricated Shadow to resemble a man, so without further contemplation and death coming fast, I said yes.

“I’m afraid my answer will not please you, lost one. I am not the one that gives life a beating heart nor do I wish to be the one to take it away from those who wish to keep it. I am not the Reaper to which all souls perish. I am, however, without a beating heart. I am dead. I am alive. This may confuse you, lost one. However, I’m afraid I do not have enough time to explain it all in detail. You must feel death coming to you. Your heartbeat is but a flutter. Slow and erratic. You have only moments left, lost one. Do you feel it?”

Shadow was right. I could hardly feel my limbs, and I suddenly felt peaceful, although his answer did nothing to ease me. I could no longer hold my body upright. I began to fall, but had no sense of direction or which direction I was going. I closed my eyes, knowing that this was it. I was going out my way and no one else’s. Shadow’s voice was heard in my ear once more. His velvety tone seduced my eyes to open, and what I saw was his face barely an inch from mine.

“I cradle you lost one to ask a final question, if you’re able to give an answer.”

Weak, I could do no more than nod. I had nothing left.

“Life without a heartbeat is possible—death could be nothing more than an illusion. A life with no end—no death—if you choose to accept the gift. If you were given the choice, lost one, would you choose real death or a death that allows you to live forever?”

He was talking in riddles, I strained to focus, to understand. It was a cruel joke to play on someone so close to death. I detested his arrogance. There was nothing that I could do, or say, that would postpone the inevitable. I quickly tried to make sense of his outlandish ramblings and wondered, if the latter were possible, would I want that? I realized that yes, I would. Why, you may ask? The answer is simple. I’ve always loved life and I wanted to enjoy it to its fullest, but I’d always known that one day, death would come for me and take it all away. That was my greatest fear, and still is. So while his question may have been odd in its entirety, it would be a nice way to leave this plane, and start anew, even if it was only a dream . . . a final dream that I would gladly embrace.

I was no longer able to keep my eyelids open.

I whispered my last words to Shadow and I felt everything of whom I once was, leave all at once, peacefulness swept through me.

With my last breath, I whispered, “Forever, I’ll . . . take . . . forever . . .”

Wonderful. This is just... wonderful. Honestly, I like them both. I'm not going to lie, I did not read this edited version of it as well as I had the first one (Due to the fact that I am rather tired at the moment.) but it is still, very good. This, is something I could see in an English book (Lol please don't take that the wrong way, (I know some people would think that of a bad thing, as English book stories tend to be boring) Your story is no where near boring) because of the way it makes you think about things (Death, for example. And other things came to my mind while reading this) deeper then you ever thought you would. Even, things you have never thought of at all before and its amazing the way you do that with this story. Again, you did wonderfully and I very much enjoyed reading it. And again, you are very welcome for the banner :)

- Dajah  

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service