The Twilight Saga

"Good friends are like stars: you don't always see them, but they're always there" I feel Carlisle and Esme don't get enough attention, but through the whole Twilight saga they've always been there, offering love and support and taking risks for Edward and Bella. They deserve a little recognition, so this is what this story offers...hope you like it! Disclaimer: all this belongs to the brilliant Stephanie Meyer, i just do my best to interpret thoughts and emotions and fill in the gaps

Chapter One: The New Girl

Carlisle: It was a quiet day at the hospital. A broken wrist, an ankle sprain…nothing much out of the ordinary. That is, until Edward called in.

“Edward?” I wondered aloud; Edward hardly ever called me at work, let alone came into the building, and never in the middle of the school day. Unless…oh, no. I pulled him into my office.

“I have to go, Carlisle,” Edward started. “I have to go now.”

“What’s happened?” I asked, trying not to let the worry show up in my voice. We had been so careful, for so long…Edward had never slipped up: not while he was staying with me.

"Nothing. Yet,” he said, glancing around anxiously. “But it will, if I stay.” Oh, Edward. I knew you were strong enough…Scolding myself for my doubt, I reached for his arm, still unsure of what to say. He cringed away from my hand, and I let it drop. Though Edward and I shared no physical traits other than those our condition and diet allowed, I had begun to draw various similarities between us. Particularly, we shared guilty consciences: we could not accept forgiveness when we were not ready to forgive ourselves. But he hadn’t done anything, so what was to forgive?

“I don’t understand,” I said. Please, Edward…stay. He drew a deep breath and looked at me with wild, almost panicked eyes.

“Have you ever…has there ever been a time…” he experimented with the words on his tongue, but they were coming out wrong. “Has any one person ever smelled better to you than the rest of them? Much better?”

“Oh,” was all I could say. I recalled Esme all those years ago, lying so still; so fragile. Her scent was so sweet and so strong that it nearly killed me to let her live. I shiver ran down my spine when I remembered what I had done to her…how she shuddered and convulsed under me as my venom coursed through her. How she moaned in pain, how she tried with dying limbs to push me away. My dear Esme, too weak to even scream as I allowed the thirst to drive me to bite again. In an early 20th century cottage bedroom, the sweetest blood in the world ran down my throat, and standing in my doctors’ office nearly a century later, I tasted it again. His face fell with shame.

I reached out for him, wishing to relieve him of his torment, by any means necessary. He recoiled from me again, but I left my hand on his shoulder.

“Do what you must to resist, son,” I hated every word coming out of my mouth, but it had to be done. Even if it meant leaving Esme and I again. Even if it meant I had to be the one to watch her face fall as she realised her son had left again.

“I will miss you,” I told him. “Here, take my car, it’s faster.” I pressed the keys into his hand. This is right. She’ll live now. Everything will be okay. I don’t know whether I was thinking to myself or to Edward as I watched the familiar black car disappear. I remembered the sheer relief on Esme’s as she threw her arms around Edward after his return from years away. His eyes were bright scarlet, lost and angry at the same time, but Esme could still tell him it didn’t matter, that she loved him no matter what. “Promise me you’ll never leave again,” she had practically sobbed. Her words echoed in my head as I sunk into my chair. I remembered in flashes the growing stack of newspapers that recorded Edward’s killings…a collection I had made an effort to hide from Edward. This is different, I told myself. This time he’s leaving to save someone. But how long will it last? No, Carlisle, don’t think like that…he’ll manage, of course he will. He’s leaving, remember? Of course I remembered; how could I forget?

My son was leaving.

Again.

Driving home in Edward’s Volvo, I was infinitely glad of my extraordinary senses; with a human’s awareness, I would very likely have crashed. I was at the same time bursting with happiness and pride that my son had been able to resist as I was falling apart with worry for him and Esme the others. When I reached the drive, I stopped so fast the screech rang out. I was inside in less than a second. Esme flew straight into my arms, silent, and I held her against my chest and waited for her to stop shaking.

“He’s leaving again, isn’t he?” Esme asked, finally standing.

“It’s for the best, Esme,” Alice assured her.

“He’ll be back, you’ll see.”

“Her name is Isabella Swan,” Jasper explained, still a little stiff, though not as uncomfortable as he was at school. “She really does smell delicious.” He looked ashamed for having drawn that conclusion, but Alice danced cheerfully over to him.

“Don’t worry, Jazz,” she said. “You wouldn’t have done anything. But I did see-”

"You were wrong,” Rosalie growled. Esme fidgeted, disquieted by the tense atmosphere.

“What did you see, Alice?” I asked politely. Rosalie huffed.

“Bella was one of us. She isn’t yet, but she will be…” Alice said.

“It’s Isabella. She’s human, Alice; she’s not friend material,” Rosalie reminded her sister.

“She said she prefers Bella. And if Edward goes to such lengths to protect her, she must be worthy to be someone’s friend.”

“I wish you wouldn’t make such a big deal out of this,” Rosalie said, scowling. “She’s really quite plain, you know, and far too awkward…she’d make a very clumsy vampire.” Emmett laughed.

“Yeah – she was shaking like a leaf this morning, and have you checked out her truck?”

“Emmett, really-” Esme scolded.

“It shouldn’t matter-” I started simultaneously.

“Vampire or not, she’s going to be my friend,” Alice stated cheerfully.

“I’ll attack before any of you, I always do,” Jasper hung his head.

“She won’t be one of us!” Rosalie cut us all off. “This one isn’t your choice.” She gave me a dark glare, reminding me of every word she’d ever spoken against me and what I had done to her, then turned and stormed out of the house.

“C’mon babe,” Emmett started, chasing her.

“Oh, dear,” Esme whispered, shocked and sympathetic. “I wish she wouldn’t do that. But I think she is right about this Bella girl…perhaps we would be best to leave too.” Behind her words was another meaning: as much as she wanted to protect the innocents here – which she didn’t count herself among, but did include me – she hoped Edward would be able to return to us. I hoped for it too, but I knew we had to stay. None of our decisions would result in the girl being changed unless it was to leave her unprotected.

“He’ll come back, love,” I assured her, kissing her smooth hair as I fought to hold onto Alice’s words; he’ll be back, you’ll see… _________________________________________________________________________

loving the banners ppl check em out

and more!! great work everyone!!

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Discussion ~ Chapter One

Page 1 ~ Chapter 2

Page 2 ~ Chapters 3, 4(pts 1+2), 5 (pt 1)

Page 3 ~ Chapters 5(pt 2), 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Page 4 ~ Chapters 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

Page 5 ~ Chapters 17(pts 1+2), 18, 19, 20

Page 6 ~ Chapters 21(pts 1+2), 22, 23

Page 7 ~ Chapters 24, 25

Page 8 ~ Chapters 26, 27(pt 1)

Page 9 ~ Chapters 27(pt 2), 28, 29

Page 10 ~ Chapters 30, 31, 32

Page 11 ~ Chapters 33, 34

Page 12 ~ Chapters 35, 36, 37(pt 1)

Page 13 ~ Chapters 37(pt 2), 38

Page 14 ~ Chapters 39, 40

Page 15 ~ Chapters 41(pts 1+2), 42

Page 16 ~ Chapters 43, 44, 45
Page 17 ~ Chapters 46, 47

Page 18 ~ Chapters 48, 49

Page 19 ~ Chapters 50, 51
Page 20 ~ Chapters 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57

Page 21 ~ OK we have ended up with two chapter 58s. whoops! there's 58, and then 58(pts 1+2)

Page 22 ~ Chapters 59, 60

Page 23 ~ Chapters 61, 62 (pt 1)

Page 24 ~ Chapters 62 (pt 2), 63, 64

Page 25 ~ Chapters 65, 66 (pts 1+2)

Page 26 ~ Chapters 67, 68, 69

Page 27 ~ Chapters 70, 71 (pts 1+2), 72

Page 28 ~ Chapters 73, 74

Page 29 ~ Chapters 75, 76

Page 30 ~ Chapter 77

Page 31 ~ Epilogue

Tags: always, can't, carlisle, esme, saga, see, stars, there, twilight

Views: 266

Replies to This Discussion

thanks Kel it's always great to hear from you. glad you like it :) LOL i just had to put that bit in
Oh....I LOVE that ending! Vampires have angels too! Edward's and Bella's were working very hard to keep them together! *smile* That was extreamly romantic and I loved the song! Thank you forwriting another AMAZING fanfic! I look forward to seeing the next! You should do one on Shiver/Linger. Those are very good books!
awwwwwe! this is cute and a wonderful ending...too bad it ended lol....
thanks guys I'm touched :)
Omg C+E i loved it.
Hi guys,
just a quick note before I get onto the FINAL EVER CHAPTER OF STARS (*SOB!*)
1. i own eclipse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. a little idea intrigued me when I was thinking about posting this on ffic.net (which I have started doing btw): when researching possible half-vampire cases, Carlisle found a story about how his own mother was a victim. I was thinking of writing...well, not a sequel exactly but a companion ffic of sorts that delves into that. waddaya reckon?

anyway, here goes...oh geez I'm gonna cry....

Epilogue ~ six months later:

Carlisle was bent over his desk as I entered his study. The shelves were slowly being emptied as we prepared to leave Forks. The only things that remained now were a few religious volumes, an eclectic collection of small paintings and that big, old wooden cross. And whatever it was that my husband was so enthusiastically working on.
I sidled up to him and leaned over his shoulder, and saw that he was scraping away at a lump of metal with what looked like some kind of tooth pick, or perhaps a very small scalpel. He was carving our crest into it. I smiled.
"I wanted to give it to Bella before we left," he explained, answering my silent question as he deftly outlined the hand of justice. "It just seems right that she should get it while we're still here, where she joined the family. I've been thinking about it for a while - what exactly she would prefer - but time has snuck up on me."
Alice's delicate ribbon choker; Rose's flashy pendant; my small, dainty bracelet - where the crest was drawn in tiny little bubbles in glass - were thoughtfully designed to suit our stylistic preferences. Bella's style remained an enigma for all of us. One that would quite possibly never be solved. Nevertheless, that left us with the problem of trying to decide which form we - Carlisle and I, as the coven leaders - were to provide her with an official, material symbol of belonging.

I looked at the options before me: Carlisle had laid out several ring bases, bracelets and necklaces of different sizes, styles and metals.
"The crest is silver," he informed me, holding it up by his ear, already knowing I was critiquing the situation. Suddenly, it came to me. Not wanting to lose the vision, I batted Carlisle aside and set about adapting the basic jewellery to suit my design. I removed a plate of gold from one of the rings and carefully melded the crest to it, creating a thin golden frame around the outside. With the addition of a clasp at the top, I examined my craftsmanship.
"Do you think we'd be allowed on her bracelet?" I asked, glancing at Carlisle who was watching with a benign, amused expression. At my comment, he squeezed his eyes shut.
"Of course! I didn't think of that." He chuckled and searched through a nearby stack for the perfect box. "Best give her a chain, just in case." He picked up a golden necklace chain with small links and clipped our pendant to the centre before slipping it into the box.

The doorbell rang at that instant, and I heard the gurgling laughter of my beloved granddaughter as she stumbled across the floor and up the stairs to her grandpa's study, insisting all the while in a sophisticated voice that she didn't need help. I crept over to the door and opened it when our little cherub gave a push - she wasn't quite high enough to reach the handle yet, being almost one year old with the height of a three year old.
She caught me flitting back to Carlisle's side and frowned. I smiled innocently, pretending I hadn't been anywhere near the door. Nessie was a very independent little girl. With parents like Bella and Edward, it wasn't really a surprise. Eyes still adorably suspicious, Nessie grinned and skipped up to Carlisle and I.
"Come on, old man," she encouraged, prodding Carlisle's knee with a tiny finger. In the other hand, she grasped one of my fingers: she didn't need any more of a grip to know I'd answer to her every whim. Carlisle, meanwhile, was making a show of struggling to get out of his chair: he found it highly amusing to act out the nickname Jacob Black had so kindly graced him with - and, it seemed, his granddaughter felt the desire to carry on. Nessie pouted - an expression stolen straight from Alice's face - and moaned.
"Come on, Grandpa."
Carlisle laughed and his youth returned: he leapt to his feet and swung Nessie off hers in one smooth movement. She shrieked with laughter as he swung her up onto his shoulders, pecked me on the cheek, and took off downstairs.

I gathered up the last of Carlisle's things and dropped them into a box, which I brought downstairs with me on one hip. I was on my way out to the car - no, cars - no, fleet waiting outside when Carlisle pulled the box from my grasp and, dumping it on the corner of the table, hauled me into the living room.
"Will you do the honours?" he invited, passing over the small, green, velvet-covered box that held Bella's pendant. The others all looked on in confusion. Well, except Edward, of course, who grinned knowingly to himself as he so often did. Even I was a little flustered at Carlisle's offer: I had always considered the family crest our gift to give, but he had always been the one to bestow it.
Nevertheless, I took the box from Carlisle's hand and turned to the rest of the family. Realisation dawned, most obvious on Bella's face, as I cleared my throat and began to formulate a speech. I'd never been one for great speeches - I always got nervous and seized up - but words came easily this time.
"Bella." I couldn't help infusing my voice with the smile that I felt while keeping my expression straight. This was a serious proposition. "Isabella Marie Swan Cullen...I met you a shy, insecure, clumsy but beautiful and caring young woman. You brought a spark to Edward's eye that not even his beloved piano ever could." I winked at my son, whose smile widened, before continuing.
"But it was not just his life you changed. I don't think you realise what you've done for the rest of us, especially Carlisle and I." Bella smiled awkwardly from her seat between Alice and Nessie on the couch, and I knew she felt our connection through that intrinsic family bond. We had never shared a moment of such intimacy, such powerful silent interaction. I fingered the box I was holding, reminding myself to go on.
"The first time Carlisle mentioned the smart, perceptive, suffer-in-silence girl Edward saved from a van, I knew you'd be special. I was right. Over the short time we've known you, your powerful devotion to our son, to our family, has astounded both of us. In fact, you became one of us when you first stepped through our door, again when Edward was granted your hand, and again when his venom transformed you. You are still our Bella, just a little less fragile." I smiled for a moment at the running family joke, but my straight face returned as I opened the box and passed it to her.
"You may have noticed that all of us wear this. The Cullen crest. It is a material symbol of the ties that bind us. We feel that those ties have enveloped you too, so we would like to offer you the crest. Do you accept?"
Bella, who had been staring in awe at the contents of the tiny box, looked past it at me. For a few seconds, there was no response. I inclined my head and smiled shyly. Suddenly, Bella's face lit up with joy.
"Are you thirsty, Esme?" she asked, smiling widely. "Of course I accept!" She sprung out of her seat and - as Carlisle stepped discreetly aside - threw her arms around my neck.
"One thing," she amended, stepping back. "This is where you belong." She unclipped the pendant from the necklace and fastened it to her ever-present charm bracelet, symbolising her loves: a wolf for Jacob, a crystal heart for Edward and recently, an amber butterfly for Nessie. And now, us. I felt like crying.

"Hey, where's my little butterfly?" Jake wondered loudly, announcing himself as he burst through the door. "Shouldn't we be at the airport?"
"JAKE!" Nessie cried gleefully, racing up to him, jumping and attempting to throw her tiny arms around his broad shoulders. I mentally slapped myself on the forehead. We had completely forgotten to thank Jake for all he'd done these past few months. In fact, I had forgotten that he would be coming with us. There had been quite a debate about it not so long ago: Seth, Leah and Jake at each other's throats over who was going where. Leah, of course, was determined that Seth would remain with her in La Push. She wanted Jake to stay too, but didn't have nearly as much control over him. Even her little brother refused to sit quietly while decisions were made about his life. He wanted to come with us. In the end it was decided that, when he was eighteen (we had gone over the fact that it was actual, not physical age) we would drop by and pick him up. I'd miss him - I think we all will - but it was for the best. He was nearly sixteen anyway, so it wasn't that long to wait.
Jake, meanwhile, would be traipsing around the countryside after us. I glanced at Carlisle. Perhaps we should have gotten something for him, too, to make him feel a little more welcome under Rose's disgusted sneers. As the others filed out to the legion of vehicles awaiting us, I apologised to Jacob for our luck of consideration. He good-naturedly shrugged it off.
"That's okay, Mrs C. Really," he said. "Considering I've been pretty much mooching off you guys for the last year - and probably will be for a while - I should be thanking you...as weird as it feels to say that." He paused. The awkwardness was not lost on any of us.
"Er...wait there." Jacob disappeared into the other room and returned with a smooth, white sculpture. It was not big, but not tiny either: about the size of a small shoebox. I didn't see what it depicted until Jake passed it to me.
"I made it myself," he explained modestly. I couldn't express my gratitude: it was so beautiful I found myself holding my breath as I examined it.

It was a pair of wolves: a soft, feminine one lying at the feet of her brave protector. Frozen in time, she looks up adoringly and he bends his head down to promise her safety. Almost touching noses, looking deep into each other's golden eyes, delicately painted by their loving creator...Jake took a lot of care and pride in his work. I turned the statue to take in a different angle of the marble masterpiece in my hands, and froze when the light hit the Protector-Wolf's eyes. I recognised those eyes. I had looked deep into them almost every day for the last ninety years.
"What is it?" Carlisle murmured, staring in awe over my shoulder at the statue. I turned and tilted it the opposite way, so that the female's eyes caught the light. Just like mine had, Carlisle's breath hitched at the strikingly familiar sight.
"It's- it's us."
Both of us looked back to Jacob, who smiled.
"Wolves are often misunderstood," he said. "They're very loving, devoted creatures. They're also reluctant to let new members into the pack, just in case it turns out to be a risk. Think of this as a thank you for letting me into your pack."
"Wow, Jake, I don't know what to say," I breathed.
"It's amazing," Carlisle articulated. "Thank you."
Hugging Wolf-Carlisle and Wolf-Esme to my chest, I followed the last two members of my family out the door, on towards our new life.
awe...omg...awe...speechless
aawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, im so sad this is over!!! Write the other idea u had now! :)
thanks both of you, I'm glad you liked it :)

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW I loved it! That's the best ending you could have ever given it.

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I read the message but didn't ahve time to read it at that moment and I forgot about it until now. I wish i had read it anyways!

thank you! your support over the...however long I've been writing this...has been great and I recommend all of you to check out the new and improved Stars on FF.net if you want :) It has been a great help with my writing and I am proud to polish it up for the wider ffic world. I have many more all-new ffics there too so I invite you to check 'em out! (I am TotallyTeamCE on ffic.net)

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service