The Twilight Saga

Thanks for reading my fan fiction! This story is a variation of Stephenie's saga. It starts in New Moon when Charlie talks Renee into coming to get Bella after she is abandoned by Edward, and ends in Breaking Dawn.

How will Bella's absence from Forks affect her relationship with Edward once he returned? Read below and find out. I promise it will be a page turner.

-TRCreations

Chapter One
RPOV
Plans

I paced anxiously back and forth on the cool ceramic tile that lined the floor of my Florida living room. It was 7:30 in the morning. Phil, my husband, was still asleep in the next room; a feat that was proving to be harder and harder for me to accomplish lately. I had never been the mother figure in my relationship with my only child, Bella, but no mother can stand by while their child is in pain.

Should I call? Is it too early? There’s what, a three hour time difference? I thought to myself, trying to decide whether to call Charlie. Charlie. He was so worried about Bella. I’ve never heard such strain in his voice, even during our few years of marriage, than what I heard when he called to give me updates on Bella’s condition.

I still remember the night I got the frantic phone call from him, when Bella went missing. It still sends chills down my spine to think that my child was lost, missing, out in the woods in Forks, Washington. I think it more so scared me because I was helpless in the search for her. I live on the other side of the country, in Jacksonville, Florida. Thank god Charlie and the boys from the Quileute reservation found her. I also knew who was responsible for upsetting my child and leaving her in the woods. Edward Cullen.

How could he leave her like that? Of course, I’ve only met him once, in the hospital after Bella fell down the stairs, but I thought that he was in love with her. Why else would he stay by her hospital bedside as vigilantly as he did? In fact, I was certain that he loved her. Didn’t I warn her about that fact? But love is blind. It’s quite obvious that her feelings for Edward warranted a ranking higher than a mere teenage crush, as she claimed.

I sighed as I looked at the clock again. It’s 8:30 here, so it’ll be 5:30 in Washington. Charlie should be getting up soon to get ready for work. I think it’s safe to call now. I justified as I began dialing the number to Charlie’s house. An exhausted Charlie answered the phone on the fourth ring.

“Hi Charlie, it is Renee. Did I wake you?”

“Hey Renee,” the voice replied disoriented. “What time is it?”

I blushed. Clearly he was still sleeping. “It is 5:30 your time. I thought you would be up by now.”

“No, it was a long night. Bella had another nightmare,” he replied after clearing his throat.

“I thought I would go into work later than normal today. Try to catch up on some sleep.”

Since Charlie and the search party found Bella in the woods, she’d taken to having nightmares. Charlie told me that she would wake up screaming in the middle of the night. He also said that she would sit and stare into space for minutes at a time. She still would occasionally whisper, “he’s gone,” or would start crying silent tears for no apparent reason.

“It doesn’t sound like she’s doing any better,” I said sadly, more so to myself than to Charlie.

Charlie sighed, “No, she isn’t. It really is Night of the Living Dead around here. I’m not sure that she can get through this without some kind of professional . . . help,” he finished as his voice cracked.

“What can I do?” I asked in frustration.

“Come to Forks and get her. Maybe a change of scenery will do her some good. Also,” he hesitated as if deciding whether or not to continue, “if it comes to the point where we will have to hospitalize her, I think that you will be better equipped to do so than I.”

I did not want to hospitalize my daughter. She was always the strong one. She always took care of me. I don’t understand. What was really going on between Edward and Bella? I must be missing some vital piece of information, something that explains her reaction. This kind of reaction, to this extreme, does not happen in a normal relationship!

“Let’s pray that it doesn’t come to that point. Bella is strong. She will get through this.” I said reassuring both Charlie and myself.

“Give me a couple of days to get things together here. I will fly over and get Bella.”

“Alright. I’ll pitch the idea to her.”

“I’ll call you back with my travel information. Take care of our baby girl,” I said as I got off of the phone.

Phil walked groggily into the living room as I was hanging up the phone.

“Are you ok?” he asked as he began to massage my shoulders. “You’re really tense,” he said as a frown creased the center of his handsome face.

My husband. I thought to myself. He shouldn’t have to worry about this; especially since he’s dealing with the pressure of starting a new job. Phil just got hired on as the baseball coach for a local team. But he loves Bella just as much as I do, so he deserves to know.

“I was on the phone with Charlie. Bella isn’t getting any better.” Phil expelled his breath and hugged me for support. I let him comfort me as I continued.

“He thinks that we need to come and get her; bring her here. Hopefully a change of scenery will help her. Otherwise . . . Charlie is afraid . . . that we may have to hospitalize,” I stumbled over the previous word, “her.”

Phil held me even tighter to his chest, which had been sculpted by years of lifting weights to be in the best shape to play baseball.

“We will just have to help her through this rough time. We can’t let it get to the point where we will have to commit her,” he whispered into my hair.

“But what if it’s too late. What if she’s so far gone that we don’t have a choice?” I asked as a sudden case of hysteria started working through my system.

“Shh. You know that Bella is strong. She’ll get through this.” He reassured me. I stayed in his arms and allowed myself to be consoled for a few more minutes.

“We need to start getting ready. You’ve got to go to work. I’ve got to start making the flight arrangements. I need to set up Bella’s room. Maybe I’ll even paint her room some cheerful color . . .,” I began as I fluttered around with a new purpose. If I was going to bring Bella back with me, I was going to make sure that she came back to someplace happy . . . someplace that didn’t remind her of Forks or of Edward. It’s always sunny here in Jacksonville, so that’s got to help. A cheerful color palette should help also.

Didn’t I read somewhere that psychologically shades of purple induces feelings of peace and combats shock, and that it helps to balance the mind and transform obsessions and fears? I’ll paint her room purple. I went into my bathroom and began to get ready for a busy day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Thank you Mrs. Martin. You are booked to depart Jacksonville International Airport at eight o’clock tomorrow morning, flight number 522, arriving at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport at twelve noon. You also have two open return tickets. Please give us a call when you know when you will be returning and we will gladly update your tickets. Is there anything else I can help you with, ma’am?” the ticketing agent asked.

“No, that was all.” I replied while grabbing a snack.

“Thank you for calling Western Airlines. You have a great day. Good-bye.”

I hung up the phone, and made sure I had all of the flight information written down. One down, several more items to go. I thought to myself as I mentally checked making travel arrangement off of my “to do” list.

I still need to pack, buy a new comforter set for Bella’s room; a new bathroom set for her bathroom; buy the paint, and check into local therapists that are covered under our insurance. Maybe I can get Phil to paint the room while I’m gone . . .

I walked around the Queen Anne-styled sofa into the den that was my office and pulled out the chair made of cherry wood as I started up the computer which sat on the matching desk. As I waited for the system to boot up, I reached for the remote to the small, but efficient sound system. As the familiar verses and chords started playing through the speakers, I navigated through the various programs until I came to my internet application. A few strokes of the keys, I was looking at the results of my search on therapists who accepted Flamingo Cove insurance. Dr. Carla Jones, Dr. Robert Bryant, Dr. Beth Walters, Dr. James Snider . . ., I recited to myself as I jotted down their names and phone numbers on the nearby memo pad. Thoroughly satisfied that I had a sufficient amount of names, but not motivated enough to start the interview process, not just yet, I decided to check my email in the hopes that maybe Bella responded to my last email. There was nothing in my inbox. I sighed and began to write another email to my daughter.

Dearest Bella:
Where are you? I haven’t heard from you in a couple of days and I know you have Internet access. I am worried about you. Please respond or call me as soon as you get this email.
I don’t know if your father told you yet, but I’m coming to Forks to visit for a couple of days. Phil is doing great at his new job! So since things are slow around here I thought that I would go to see my favorite daughter. You can introduce me to all of your friends; we can go shopping; there is so much that we can do! My plane arrives tomorrow afternoon. I’ll see you then.
I love you,
-Mom

I hit the spell check key to make sure everything was perfect and sent the email. Hopefully I’ll get some kind of response. I thought as I switched off the computer and the stereo.

Phil was due to be back home from school soon. It’s a good thing I already ran all of my errands already. I went to the kitchen to try to figure out what I was going to cook for dinner. Cooking was not my forte. I like the meals that I cook, but Charlie and Phil would always complain that my food was too exotic and unpredictable. But I needed to do something to butter Phil up before I asked him to paint Bella’s room while I was away.

I heard the old station wagon pull into the driveway. Phil was home. I quickly pulled out some chicken breasts and threw it in the oven. When Phil walked through the door I was in the process of peeling potatoes.

“Hi hon,” Phil said as he gave me a kiss on the cheek.

“How was your day?”

“Well, you know . . . the usual. I had to show the third baseman how to properly defend the base and how to turn a double play.”

“Sounds interesting,” I said smiling at him.

“Speaking of interesting . . .” Phil began as he cautiously eyed my cooking, “what is all of this for?” he asked as he gestured towards the oven. I put down the peering knife that I was using to peel the potatoes and snuggled into his waiting arms.

“Well . . . I was just thinking that there is a lot of stuff that I need to get done before I bring Bella back from Washington . . .”

“Uhm hum.”

“. . . and I was wondering if you would be so kind as to paint Bella’s room a nice shade of purple while I was gone.”

“Do you really think that will help?”

“I don’t see how it couldn’t.”

Phil seemed to think it over. “Sure.” I stood on my toes and kissed him.

“Thanks baby,” was my response as I slipped out of his arms and resumed fixing dinner.

“Is it actually edible?” Phil asked jokingly. I threw the dish towel at him as we both began to laugh.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the morning I made it to the airport just in time to catch the flight. It's a four-hour flight from Jacksonville to Seattle, another hour in a small plane up to Port Angeles, and then an hour drive back down to Forks. Of course, it was raining when I reached the outskirts of the small logging town.

Nothing has changed. I thought as I drove through the town. I remembered the time that I spent here with my then husband, Charlie. I also remembered why I had to leave. Charlie’s house, my old house, looked exactly the same. I pulled my rented 2010 Chevrolet Camero into the driveway and cut off the engine. I hadn’t had time to sit and mentally prepare myself for this moment while I was in Jacksonville. I never thought that the situation with Bella would get so bad that her father and I would have to stage a mini-intervention.

I looked out of the window at the neighborhood. Everyone else was going about their normal routines, oblivious to the turmoil happening in this little 2 bedroom house. The expanse of woods behind Charlie’s house caught my eye. So that’s where that monster left my little girl. I thought as anger, once again, began to fill my being as I thought of Edward.

If I had managed to talk her into coming back to Florida with me after her accident none of this would have happened. She wouldn’t have gone missing . . . she wouldn’t have gotten depressed over that boy moving away . . . everything would be normal, as it should be. I closed my eyes and took several deep breaths before opening the door.

The front door opened as I began walking towards it. Charlie must have heard the car as I pulled up.

“Renee! You made it,” he started.

“It was no problem. You’re looking well.”

“Thanks,” he replied blushing and looking down.

“Come on in.” Charlie moved out of the door to let me into the house.

Exactly as I remembered it. He didn’t even repaint the kitchen cabinets. I assessed as I walked through the house.

“Where is she?” I asked timidly.

“At school. She goes through the motions of being normal. I guess in an attempt to make me think that she’s ok.”

“I’ll tell you Renee,” he started thoughtfully, “I’ve never seen anything like it. It’s like she’s trying to avoid anything that reminds her of him. Whenever you try to bring up a subject that makes her think of him, she wraps her arms around herself, like she’s trying to keep herself together in one piece.”

My anger with Edward flared as I mentally pictured what Charlie was telling me. God, please . . . please let me run into Edward Cullen in a dark alley. I silently pled.

“Did you tell her that I was coming? Did you tell her why?”

“I told her that you were coming, but she already knew. She said that you emailed her and told her that you were coming. I didn’t tell her why you were coming. Did you tell her why?”

So she did read my email. “I told her that I wanted to spend some time with her. You know, mother-daughter time.”

I went into the living room and took a seat on the loveseat. I thought I caught a look of disappointment on Charlie’s face as I sat on the loveseat, but he quickly masked it. I wonder why.

“Uhm, did you want any water, orange juice, coffee?” Charlie asked, breaking the silence.

“Sure. Water will be fine.”

Charlie headed towards the kitchen to retrieve my water as a rumbling noise came from outside.

“Bella’s home!” Charlie yelled to me over the noise.

A fresh wave of panic came over me in anticipation of Bella walking through the front door. What could I say that will console her? What could I do to help her? The front door opened and in walked Bella.

She looked the same. I thought as I looked her over; or at least that was what I thought until I looked into her eyes. They were empty; like no one was there, almost soulless.

“Hi mom.” She said, giving me a weak smile that didn’t touch her eyes.

“Hey sweetie,” I replied, giving her a hug. I put my hand to her cheek and looked into her eyes genuinely concerned. “How are you?”

She shrugged, “I’m doing fine.” She sidestepped me and went to put her book bag down. “Hey dad.”

“Hey Bells, how was school?” Charlie asked, trying to engage Bella in a conversation.

“It was fine. I had a pop quiz in History. I think I did ok.”

“Of course you did well.” I chimed in.

Bella went to the refrigerator and started pulling out ingredients for dinner. I leaned against the doorframe and watched as she got everything together and began to cook.

She does look a little thinner than when I saw her last. Stress will definitely do that to you. I wonder if she’s eating. Charlie hadn’t mentioned anything about a lack of appetite.

“I’m guessing this is the normal routine?” I asked teasingly.

“Yeah, you know Charlie can’t cook!” Bella replied with a thin smile.

“I was doing just fine before you came Bells. Didn’t miss one meal.” Charlie said, obviously proud of himself.

My eyes met with Bella’s with an unspoken message. We both knew what Charlie’s meals consisted of before Bella moved to Forks; microwave dinners.

Charlie handed me the glass of water as I sat in the kitchen chair. Charlie sat next to me, both of us facing where Bella was preparing dinner. What was the best way to approach this situation? Bella brought up the subject before I could figure out where to start.

“Mom, I’m glad that you came, but if you’re only here because you’re concerned about me, you made this trip for nothing.”

“I came because I want to see you. Of course I am concerned about your well being.” I began.

“Honestly mom, I am fine.”

“No Bella, you are not fine. You don’t behave like a normal teenager. You don’t hang out with your friends. You aren’t involved in any school activities. You mope around the house all the time.” Charlie chimed in the conversation.

Bella pressed her lips together while stirring a pot of noodles.

“Your mother and I are really worried. You haven’t been the same since . . .”

“Don’t say it! I don’t want to think about that!” Bella interrupted as she began hugging herself.

Charlie shot me a look while I watched my daughter writhe in obvious pain.

“Well, you know. I think, that it will be a good idea for you to get away from Forks for a while. You know, go and stay with your mother for a while.”

“You don’t want me here?” Bella asked astonished and hurt.

“Of course Charlie wants you here, Bella. But, being here isn’t healthy for you. You are our number one priority. You’re going to love Jacksonville! It’s sunny every day and you’ll have your own bathroom!” I sounded like a pitchman even in my own ears. Bella had regained some of her composure and went back to cooking, though it appeared as though it took her some effort to do so.

“I’ve already bought your plane ticket. We can head back to Jacksonville whenever you would like.” I continued, pressing my resolve and willing her not to make a scene.

Bella put the spoon down and faced Charlie and myself.

“Ok. I’ll go back with you.”

Astonishment overtook me. I was not expecting her to give in so quickly. Bella usually stuck to her guns when she made a decision, and it was her decision to move to Forks. I knew better than to think that the power of mine and Charlie’s argument swayed her to see our point of view.

What was the driving reason for her consent? I wondered. But you don’t look a gift horse in the mouth, or so the saying is.

“Great!! When do you want to leave?” I asked enthusiastically.

Bella shrugged her shoulders and went back to cooking.

“Well, tomorrow is Friday, and next week is Spring Break. If you guys leave, say Saturday, that will give you time to get settled in with your mom and time to get ready for school there,” Charlie offered. “The kids won’t be there, but I’m sure that the teachers and administrative staff will be.”

“You know, that actually isn’t a bad idea.” I conceded.

It was settled. Bella and I will leave for Jacksonville on Saturday morning. After dinner I excused myself to call Phil and make the necessary travel arrangements. My baby girl was coming home. I only prayed that we weren’t too late in getting her some help.

Views: 2537

Replies to This Discussion

I want to see brennan bust out laughing at the things that bella is thinking......
this was a good chapter and i love brennan and amber......they are really cool.
That was soo good. Please post again soon.
OMEM there going to forks!!!!!!!
AMAZING CHAPTER!!!!!!!!!!!
I need more!!!!!!!
I am only on chapter 23 - i just started today but I wanted to tell you this is FANTASTIC I am really enjoying it and praying there isn't going to be a power cut because I really want to finish it tonight but there is a big storm and the lights keep flickering. It's soo goood - keep writing..
omg i love it!!!! i have a question tho ... do you think she could met the pack and bring them in ? i love that brennan can read her mind!!!!
Chapter Forty-Eight
BSPOV
Theory

The expression on Edward’s and Brennan’s face stopped my conversation with Eleazar in mid-sentence.

“What’s wrong?” I asked Edward, alarmed. I could hear Amber echoing my question to her brother. Jasper was immediately at Alice’s side.

“Alice, what did you see?”

“The Volturi have made their decision. They’re coming.” She said in terror.

The color drained from my own face. Whatever needed to happen to force them to make their decision had happened! I watched as horror colored the faces of my family.

“Can you see how soon?” Carlisle asked. He appeared to be calm.

“I can’t see when they arrive.”

“Are they coming for us?!” Tanya asked.

“Yes!” Alice replied exasperated.

“Why? We’ve done nothing wrong!” Kate exclaimed.

Alice did not give her an answer. I suspected that even Alice did not know exactly why the Volturi were coming. Rather than the hysteria that was beginning to manifest, a peace filled the room. I began to feel calm and relaxed about the situation. Everyone else looked calmer as well.

Jasper must be controlling the atmosphere.

I looked questioningly at Jasper, my unspoken question conveyed in my eyes. He nodded in my direction.

“How many of them?” Jasper asked, taking control.

“Just the guard. Jane is coming with them.”

Who was Jane? I have never heard anything substantive about her. Eleazar had mentioned her and someone named Alec earlier. . . . I need to ask Edward about that. More importantly, I think now is a good time as ever to tell them about my theory.

“I have a suggestion,” I spoke up, commanding their attention.

Edward looked puzzled and apprehensive. I smiled at him to reassure him.

“We think that all of this has to do with the Harmons, right?”

“Right,” they agreed in various forms.

“And we know that Alice can’t see them nor can Edward hear them. . . .”

“Where are you going with this Bella? We all know these things,” Rosalie said. I turned my icy glare on my future sister-in-law.
My patience was thin, exacerbated by the stress of the situation.

“If you would keep quiet, then I can get to my point!” I snapped. Edward, though shocked at my outburst, walked over to me.

He probably wanted to console me in some way, but I am fine. I thought. He stood behind me and stroked my arms, as if trying to warm them. I knew that it was meant to calm me down. Though it was annoying at the moment, I didn’t want to hurt his feelings; so I ignored it. The rest of the family was equally shocked. Rosalie was furious.

“I’m ok,” I told them. “As I was saying. . . .” I started again, rolling my eyes at Rosalie, “I was thinking that perhaps we are blind to the Harmons because of the history between Carlisle and Nathan. So. . . . I have a theory that I want to test.” I said, looking around the room.

“Brennan, can you please absorb Alice’s and Edward’s power?”

“Love, what’s your theory?” Edward asked. I knew that he hated being left in the dark.

“That is ingenious!” Brennan exclaimed. “It might just work!”

“Can someone please explain?!” Carmen asked totally lost.

“My theory is that since we can’t see or hear the Harmons, perhaps Brennan can. He is not close to the situation. He may be able to see our future as far as the Harmons are concerned, and may be able to get into Nathan’s mind. That will be our advantage. They will have no idea that we already know what’s coming.”

I watched as my theory processed on the faces of my beautiful family.

“That may work,” Carlisle agreed.

Edward kissed the top of my head. “You’re a genius. No wonder I love you so much.”

“Let’s try this!” Alice exclaimed, happy at the possibility of an advantage. Amber agreed.

Alice extended her hand as Brennan took it. There was nothing extraordinary about the moment; no sound of rushing wind or magical chimes; something as simple as a touch. Brennan just placed his hand on Edward’s shoulder and stepped away.

“You have to think about what you want to see and focus on it,” Alice instructed him on how to use her power.

Brennan closed his eyes for several minutes.

“Focus on Nathan Harmon,” she whispered.

“I can hear Nathan,” he said finally. The sounds of astonishment reverberated throughout the room. Esme gave me a hug, whispering “good job Bella,” in my ear. The rest of them smiled at me, with the exception of Rosalie.

“They are definitely behind the murders in Beaver and in Forks. Nathan is talking with the family; instructing the newborns.”

No one was surprised. We had suspected as much.

“You were right about the motive. All that guy can think about is revenge.” Brennan continued. He locked eyes with Edward. I could tell that some communication was taking place between them. I looked back at Edward, he had his mask on, but his body language shouted that he was angry once again.

“Brennan, Edward, will one of you please tell me what that was all about?” I asked, looking between the both of them.

“Do you,” Brennan started.

“No,” Edward replied stiffly. “Bella, let’s talk about this later.”

“Does it concern the family?” I asked.

“No. It concerns you.”

“Me?” I questioned. It must have been about something that Brennan heard in Nathan’s thoughts. I thought as I suddenly felt sick.

“Ok,” I accepted my voice weak. “Brennan, can you see our future?” I asked.

“Not now,” he said after concentrating for some minutes.

“Don’t worry. Sometimes it takes time for something to come through,” Alice stated, shrugging her shoulders.

“At least we can see into Nathan’s mind,” Emmett reminded us.

“He’s not planning on attacking today. That much has been decided,” Brennan added.

Jasper looked over his shoulder at the stairs, as did the rest of them. I could hear the sound too. My parents were getting up. I glanced at the clock. It was now eight o’clock, and I have not yet gone to bed!

“Edward,” I said. He must have been thinking the same thing, because he swept me off my feet and we raced up the stairs to his room.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He laid me gently on the bed before he went to throw the switch that lowered a massive set of blinds over the glass wall. Daylight was still making its way through the blinds, but it was dark enough for me to sleep.

“I am totally exhausted,” I admitted.

“You look like you are. I thought you would have passed out a long time ago.”

“Too much going on. I didn’t realize how sleepy I was until I heard my parents start to get up.”

I kicked off my tennis shoes and jeans, took my hair out of the ponytail and slid under the comforter as Edward walked back to the bed. I folded back the part of the comforter that was closest to him; an unspoken invitation for him to lay down with me. Edward complied, lying on his side.

I laid in his arms, waiting on the exhaustion to pull me into unconsciousness.

“Edward?”

“Yes my love?” he replied as he kissed my ear.

I intertwined my fingers with his.

“Do you ever wonder what things will be like? Later on after we’re married and all?”

“Sometimes,” he said softly.

“Will it still be like this after I’m immortal? I mean, if you decide to make me immortal.” I said softly. That was the main thing that I wondered even worried about. Would I still feel the same for Edward? I didn’t know how much I would change.

Edward was silent for a moment. If he were human, I would have thought he’d fallen asleep.

“You really want this, don’t you?” he asked. I could detect some sadness in his voice.

“We don’t have to talk about this now,” I said, deciding to change the subject. I was too exhausted to argue with him. That is what’s about to happen, isn’t it?

I could imagine Edward processing my words and tone. “I’m not going to argue with you,” he said. “I just want an honest answer.”

“Yes. That’s the only way that we can be together forever.” I whispered.

He sighed at my response. I turned in his arms to face him. His eyes had grown more towards black than topaz. He looked spent, even though I knew that he was not tired. Maybe stressed was the word I was looking for.

I reached up, placed my hand on his cheek and kissed him. I loved the way that his cheek felt underneath my hand; the way that his lips moved against mine. I broke the kiss after losing my breath; my heart thundering in my ears. Normally, Edward would have smiled at my reaction. He did not though.

“I love you,” he said, frowning as he looked into my eyes, “more than you’ll ever know.”

“I love you too,” I replied, confused by the intensity that suddenly filled the little space between us.

He looked away for a moment before recapturing my gaze.

“You asked me to make you immortal.”

I looked into his eyes, unable to speak; my “yes” sounding silently in my consciousness. All I could do was nod. I watched as he steeled himself. I could see how hard he was working to keep some kind of emotion in check.

He placed his hand on my cheek and stroked it. “I will give you what you want,” he said softly, looking deeply into my eyes as they began to fill with tears and spill over softly. I pressed my cheek into his chest as the tears continued to flow. Edward’s arms tightened around me.

“That is the last piece; the only thing that I was holding back. I surrender everything to you,” he continued, his voice raw with emotion.

Surrendered, echoed through my mind as I fell asleep.
wow the emotions that just roll off this chapter is so great.

Hugs
The next one is even better. I like writing from Edward's POV. You get all of the behind the scene happenings; especially since he can read minds.

-TRCreations
Chapter Forty-Nine
EPOV
Theory

The expression on mine and Brennan’s face stopped Bella’s and Eleazar’s conversation in mid-sentence.

“What’s wrong?” Bella and Amber asked us, alarmed. My family was straight away aware of a problem. Jasper was immediately at Alice’s side.

“Alice, what did you see?”

“The Volturi have made their decision. They’re coming.” She said in terror.

Emmett’s thoughts were a string of expletives as he raged against the idea of the Volturi coming. Carlisle’s thoughts were more civilized, though equally concerned. In fact, none of my family relished the thought of a confrontation with the Volturi.

Whatever needed to happen to force them to make their decision had happened! I thought enraged.

“Can you see how soon?” Carlisle asked. He appeared to be calm, but Brennan and I knew the inner turmoil. In some ways, Carlisle felt responsible for the Volturi coming down on us. He thought that perhaps if he had not left them, then Nathan Harmon would not have held out a vendetta, which led to the murders which was the likely cause of the Volturi making their decision. My father seemed to forget that his situation with the Volturi wasn’t the only reason why the Harmons were hunting Bella. I was the other half of the problem.

“I can’t see when they arrive.” Alice replied, still horrorstruck.

“Are they coming for us?!” Tanya asked.

I closed my eyes to concentrate. Everyone’s thoughts were coming fast, as hysteria was starting to take hold.

“Yes!” Alice replied exasperated.

“Why? We’ve done nothing wrong!” Kate exclaimed.

I don’t know!! Alice screamed.

A peace began to replace the hysterical feelings.

This was getting out of control, Jasper thought as he calmed everyone down. He nodded in Bella’s direction.

She was wondering if Jasper was using his power. Brennan informed me.

“How many of them?” Jasper asked, taking control.

“Just the guard. Jane is coming with them.”

Jane! That was to be expected. Brennan thought.

How are we going to protect Bella and her family from them? Esme worried.

A typical regiment, no doubt. Eleazar pondered.

“I have a suggestion,” Bella spoke. Everyone looked at her; she commanded our attention.

What is she scheming? I wondered. She looked at me and smiled.

“We think that all of this has to do with the Harmons, right?”

Well duh!! Emmett thought sarcastically.

“Right,” we agreed in various forms.

“And we know that Alice can’t see them nor can Edward hear them. . . .”

How many times must she remind me of my short sidedness? Alice wondered upset at her lack of vision. I shared my sister’s response.

God! Will she shut up already and get to the point!! Rosalie yelled.

“Where are you going with this Bella? We all know these things,” Rosalie said.

Bella turned her icy glare on Rosalie.

“If you would keep quiet, then I can get to my point!” she snapped.

Now there’s a reaction that I’ve never seen before. I thought, alarmed. I walked over to where she was. She had to be on edge with all of the danger. I stood behind her and stroked her arms, as if trying to warm them.

Hel-lo! Alice thought, equally shocked.

Whew! Little sis has a temper! Emmett thought, glancing at me.

Want me to help? Jasper asked. I shook my head no.

I take it they don’t get along. Amber thought, looking between Bella and Rosalie. The rest of the family was staring. Rosalie was furious.

“I’m ok,” Bella told us. “As I was saying. . . . I was thinking that perhaps we are blind to the Harmons because of the history between Carlisle and Nathan. So. . . . I have a theory that I want to test.”

I’m not going to interrupt her. Kate thought.

“Brennan, can you please absorb Alice’s and Edward’s power?”

“Love, what’s your theory?” I asked, unable to discern where she was taking this.

“That is ingenious!” Brennan exclaimed. “It might just work!”

What!! What might just work?!?!!

“Can someone please explain?!” Carmen asked totally lost.

Thank you!! Someone who understands what I’m feeling! Amber shouted.

“My theory is that since we can’t see or hear the Harmons, perhaps Brennan can. He is not close to the situation. He may be able to see our future as far as the Harmons are concerned, and may be able to get into Nathan’s mind. That will be our advantage. They will have no idea that we already know what’s coming.”

“That may work,” Carlisle agreed.

I processed her logic. It seemed plausible. In fact, I was willing to bet that she was right.

I kissed the top of my head. “You’re a genius. No wonder I love you so much.”

“Let’s try this!” Alice exclaimed, happy at the possibility of an advantage. Amber agreed.

Dumb fools! Rosalie yelled.

Alice extended her hand as Brennan took it. As soon as he took Alice’s hand, I couldn’t hear anything from him. I guess since she would be the third person that he touched, she served kind of like a reset button. Brennan walked over to me and merely placed his hand on my shoulder.

Sorry about that. Since I can only carry two gifts at a time, the third, fifth, seventh, etc. is like a reset. I absorb their gift, but lose the others. He explained.

Ok.

“You have to think about what you want to see and focus on it,” Alice instructed him on how to use her power.

Brennan closed his eyes for several minutes. I could see that he was concentrating as Alice had instructed, but nothing was coming through.

“Focus on Nathan Harmon,” she whispered.

Brennan gave up on trying to see the future, rather he focused on trying to hear Nathan’s thoughts. Finally they came through.

What do you know about the Cullens? Nathan asked, looking around the room.

They are our enemy. Karen replied.

Carlisle Cullen betrayed the Volturi and therefore us! Lauren added.

Edward Cullen killed my mate! Victoria seethed.

Edward Cullen killed my son, your brother. What do we want to do for revenge?

Destroy the Cullens! Myles and Kristopher stated.

How?

By dispatching Bella Swan! Rachel said.

“I can hear Nathan,” Brennan told my family.

The sounds of astonishment reverberated throughout the room. But I was lost in my own personal hell to participate in their minor celebration. The Harmons wanted to destroy us, and they planned to dispatch Bella as the means to do so. I always knew that that was their plan. But it really did something to me when I heard it from the mind of our enemy.

Are you ok? Jasper asked me. I ignored him.

“They are definitely behind the murders in Beaver and in Forks. Nathan is talking with the family; instructing the newborns.” Brennan explained.

No one was surprised. We had suspected as much.

“You were right about the motive. All that guy can think about is revenge.” Brennan continued. His eyes locked with mine.

There is no way we’re going to let them do that to her. He vowed.

I know. I could feel the animal within me trying to claw its way out. I wanted so badly to go and find the Harmons, to end this myself.

If you do go, I’m going with you. Brennan said, hearing my deepest desires. I silently acknowledged his offer.

Bella noticed our silent conversation. “Brennan, Edward, will one of you please tell me what that was all about?” she asked, looking between us both.

“Do you,” Brennan started, want to tell her?

“No,” I replied stiffly. “Bella, let’s talk about this later.” I wasn’t in a good state of mind to talk about this with her right now.

“Does it concern the family?” she asked.

“No. It concerns you.” And how much the Harmons want to “dispatch” you!! I roared within myself.

“Me?” she questioned. The look on her face told me that she understood.

“Ok,” she accepted; her voice weak. “Brennan, can you see our future?”

I focused on getting my anger under control as Brennan tried to see the future once again.

“Not now,” he said after concentrating for some minutes.

“Don’t worry. Sometimes it takes time for something to come through,” Alice stated, shrugging her shoulders.

They seem so much happier knowing that we have an advantage. Brennan mused.

Everyone but Carlisle. My father was looking at Brennan and me curiously.

What ever it was, was it that bad? He asked.

Brennan nodded.

I watched as Carlisle’s jaw tightened. Bella is like a daughter to me. No. She is my daughter. You know that I don’t take pleasure in the idea of taking another life, but in this case; if it will make Bella safe; I’ll make an exception.I wasn’t at all shocked by the anger that Carlisle felt.

“At least we can see into Nathan’s mind,” Emmett reminded us.

“He’s not planning on attacking today. That much has been decided,” Brennan added.

Jasper looked over his shoulder at the stairs, as did the rest of my family. I could hear the sound of someone pulling the bed sheets back, standing up and walking across the floor. The sound was repeated two additional times.

Her parents must be getting up.

“Edward,” Bella said. A glance at the clock told me that it was eight and she hadn’t even slept.

I swept her off her feet and we raced up the stairs to my room.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I laid her gently on the bed before I went to throw the switch that lowered a massive set of blinds over the glass wall. Daylight was still making its way through the blinds, but I figured that it was dark enough for her to sleep.

“I am totally exhausted.”

I looked her over. “You look like you are. I thought you would have passed out a long time ago.”

“Too much going on. I didn’t realize how sleepy I was until I heard my parents start to get up.” She said as she kicked off her tennis shoes and jeans, took her hair out of the ponytail and slid under the comforter. I was nearly breathless at the sight of her. Her beauty always dazed me. I guess I was more sensitive today, in light of Nathan Harmon’s thoughts.

Bella pulled back the part of the comforter that was closest to me; an unspoken invitation for me to lay down with her. I took my shoes off and slid onto the bed next to her, lying on my side. Bella turned and pressed her back to me as I wrapped my arms around her.

I heard her sigh as she relaxed.

“Edward?”

“Yes my love?” I asked as I kissed her ear.

Bella intertwined her fingers with mine.

“Do you ever wonder what things will be like? Later on after we’re married and all?”

Her questions caught me off guard. I was sure she was going to ask me about the unspoken conversation between Brennan and myself. As usual, I thought that honesty was best.

“Sometimes,” I said softly.

If only she knew how much I thought about our future; how much I wanted our future.

“Will it still be like this after I’m immortal? I mean, if you decide to make me immortal.” she said softly.

I could hear so much emotion in her voice: some of it curiosity; some of it pain that I didn’t want to make her an immortal. It dawned on me that maybe she took my resolve not to change her as rejection. It was that realization, the pain in her voice and the memory of my conversation with Brennan that had me at the point of being broken.

What has her worried? I wondered. “Will it still be like this after I’m immortal?” Does she mean will she still feel the way that she does about me afterwards? Does she mean physically will she still feel the same sensations? The questions ran wild in my mind as I held her quietly.

“You really want this, don’t you?” I asked with my sadness over her pain and soon ending mortality seeping into my voice.

“We don’t have to talk about this now,” she said, deciding to change the subject.

I processed her words and tone. “I’m not going to argue with you. I just want an honest answer.”

“Yes. That’s the only way that we can be together forever.” she whispered.

I sighed at her response. Of course I wanted to be with her forever just as badly as she does with me. But I was still wrestling with what I wanted versus what I know is the right thing to do.

The right thing. I scoffed at myself. The right thing would have been to walk away from the very beginning. Yet, here I remain; on the verge of agreeing to take her life away.

The conflict raged within me, causing me so much pain. Bella turned in my arms to face me. I watched her, knowing what she would see. Her eyes were sweet; loving; concerned. She reached up and placed her hand on my cheek as she kissed me. I fell deeply into the feelings, into the longings that flooded my mind and body. My lips moved urgently against hers, searching for some sort of salvation from my torment.

Bella broke the kiss after losing her breath. Her heart was racing wildly. Normally, I would have found such a thing as being cute and would have smiled. Right now I was not feeling particularly cheerful. I knew what I was going to do, and it went against what I thought; what I wanted for her in the best case scenario. But I love her; so much; that I resolved myself to giving her what she wanted most.

I’ve been lying to her. I realized. I’ve been telling her that she had all of me; every part of my being. But there’s one part that I was not willing to give to her.

“I love you,” I said, frowning as I looked into her eyes, “more than you’ll ever know.”

“I love you too,” she replied, confused.

I could feel the intensity that suddenly filled the little space between us; and I knew that this decision will change both of our lives, forever.

I looked away for a moment before recapturing her gaze.

“You asked me to make you immortal.”

Bella looked into my eyes, unable to speak. All she could do was nod her head. I steeled myself as I fought hard to control my emotions all the while Bella was watching me with clear eyes. I placed my hand on her cheek and stroked it. I loved how her skin warmed my hand. That was something else that I was going to miss.

“I will give you what you want,” I said softly, looking deeply into her eyes as they began to fill with tears and spill over softly. I didn’t want her to cry. I wanted to keep her from crying. She pressed her cheek into my chest as the tears continued to flow; my arms tightened around her drawing her into me.

“That is the last piece; the only thing that I was holding back. I surrender everything to you,” I continued, my voice raw with emotion.
Thanks!!

-TRCreations
“That is the last piece; the only thing that I was holding back. I surrender everything to you,” I continued, my voice raw with emotion.
This was such a beautiful chapter. Thanks for giving us two.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service