The Twilight Saga

Thanks for reading my fan fiction! This story is a variation of Stephenie's saga. It starts in New Moon when Charlie talks Renee into coming to get Bella after she is abandoned by Edward, and ends in Breaking Dawn.

How will Bella's absence from Forks affect her relationship with Edward once he returned? Read below and find out. I promise it will be a page turner.

-TRCreations

Chapter One
RPOV
Plans

I paced anxiously back and forth on the cool ceramic tile that lined the floor of my Florida living room. It was 7:30 in the morning. Phil, my husband, was still asleep in the next room; a feat that was proving to be harder and harder for me to accomplish lately. I had never been the mother figure in my relationship with my only child, Bella, but no mother can stand by while their child is in pain.

Should I call? Is it too early? There’s what, a three hour time difference? I thought to myself, trying to decide whether to call Charlie. Charlie. He was so worried about Bella. I’ve never heard such strain in his voice, even during our few years of marriage, than what I heard when he called to give me updates on Bella’s condition.

I still remember the night I got the frantic phone call from him, when Bella went missing. It still sends chills down my spine to think that my child was lost, missing, out in the woods in Forks, Washington. I think it more so scared me because I was helpless in the search for her. I live on the other side of the country, in Jacksonville, Florida. Thank god Charlie and the boys from the Quileute reservation found her. I also knew who was responsible for upsetting my child and leaving her in the woods. Edward Cullen.

How could he leave her like that? Of course, I’ve only met him once, in the hospital after Bella fell down the stairs, but I thought that he was in love with her. Why else would he stay by her hospital bedside as vigilantly as he did? In fact, I was certain that he loved her. Didn’t I warn her about that fact? But love is blind. It’s quite obvious that her feelings for Edward warranted a ranking higher than a mere teenage crush, as she claimed.

I sighed as I looked at the clock again. It’s 8:30 here, so it’ll be 5:30 in Washington. Charlie should be getting up soon to get ready for work. I think it’s safe to call now. I justified as I began dialing the number to Charlie’s house. An exhausted Charlie answered the phone on the fourth ring.

“Hi Charlie, it is Renee. Did I wake you?”

“Hey Renee,” the voice replied disoriented. “What time is it?”

I blushed. Clearly he was still sleeping. “It is 5:30 your time. I thought you would be up by now.”

“No, it was a long night. Bella had another nightmare,” he replied after clearing his throat.

“I thought I would go into work later than normal today. Try to catch up on some sleep.”

Since Charlie and the search party found Bella in the woods, she’d taken to having nightmares. Charlie told me that she would wake up screaming in the middle of the night. He also said that she would sit and stare into space for minutes at a time. She still would occasionally whisper, “he’s gone,” or would start crying silent tears for no apparent reason.

“It doesn’t sound like she’s doing any better,” I said sadly, more so to myself than to Charlie.

Charlie sighed, “No, she isn’t. It really is Night of the Living Dead around here. I’m not sure that she can get through this without some kind of professional . . . help,” he finished as his voice cracked.

“What can I do?” I asked in frustration.

“Come to Forks and get her. Maybe a change of scenery will do her some good. Also,” he hesitated as if deciding whether or not to continue, “if it comes to the point where we will have to hospitalize her, I think that you will be better equipped to do so than I.”

I did not want to hospitalize my daughter. She was always the strong one. She always took care of me. I don’t understand. What was really going on between Edward and Bella? I must be missing some vital piece of information, something that explains her reaction. This kind of reaction, to this extreme, does not happen in a normal relationship!

“Let’s pray that it doesn’t come to that point. Bella is strong. She will get through this.” I said reassuring both Charlie and myself.

“Give me a couple of days to get things together here. I will fly over and get Bella.”

“Alright. I’ll pitch the idea to her.”

“I’ll call you back with my travel information. Take care of our baby girl,” I said as I got off of the phone.

Phil walked groggily into the living room as I was hanging up the phone.

“Are you ok?” he asked as he began to massage my shoulders. “You’re really tense,” he said as a frown creased the center of his handsome face.

My husband. I thought to myself. He shouldn’t have to worry about this; especially since he’s dealing with the pressure of starting a new job. Phil just got hired on as the baseball coach for a local team. But he loves Bella just as much as I do, so he deserves to know.

“I was on the phone with Charlie. Bella isn’t getting any better.” Phil expelled his breath and hugged me for support. I let him comfort me as I continued.

“He thinks that we need to come and get her; bring her here. Hopefully a change of scenery will help her. Otherwise . . . Charlie is afraid . . . that we may have to hospitalize,” I stumbled over the previous word, “her.”

Phil held me even tighter to his chest, which had been sculpted by years of lifting weights to be in the best shape to play baseball.

“We will just have to help her through this rough time. We can’t let it get to the point where we will have to commit her,” he whispered into my hair.

“But what if it’s too late. What if she’s so far gone that we don’t have a choice?” I asked as a sudden case of hysteria started working through my system.

“Shh. You know that Bella is strong. She’ll get through this.” He reassured me. I stayed in his arms and allowed myself to be consoled for a few more minutes.

“We need to start getting ready. You’ve got to go to work. I’ve got to start making the flight arrangements. I need to set up Bella’s room. Maybe I’ll even paint her room some cheerful color . . .,” I began as I fluttered around with a new purpose. If I was going to bring Bella back with me, I was going to make sure that she came back to someplace happy . . . someplace that didn’t remind her of Forks or of Edward. It’s always sunny here in Jacksonville, so that’s got to help. A cheerful color palette should help also.

Didn’t I read somewhere that psychologically shades of purple induces feelings of peace and combats shock, and that it helps to balance the mind and transform obsessions and fears? I’ll paint her room purple. I went into my bathroom and began to get ready for a busy day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Thank you Mrs. Martin. You are booked to depart Jacksonville International Airport at eight o’clock tomorrow morning, flight number 522, arriving at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport at twelve noon. You also have two open return tickets. Please give us a call when you know when you will be returning and we will gladly update your tickets. Is there anything else I can help you with, ma’am?” the ticketing agent asked.

“No, that was all.” I replied while grabbing a snack.

“Thank you for calling Western Airlines. You have a great day. Good-bye.”

I hung up the phone, and made sure I had all of the flight information written down. One down, several more items to go. I thought to myself as I mentally checked making travel arrangement off of my “to do” list.

I still need to pack, buy a new comforter set for Bella’s room; a new bathroom set for her bathroom; buy the paint, and check into local therapists that are covered under our insurance. Maybe I can get Phil to paint the room while I’m gone . . .

I walked around the Queen Anne-styled sofa into the den that was my office and pulled out the chair made of cherry wood as I started up the computer which sat on the matching desk. As I waited for the system to boot up, I reached for the remote to the small, but efficient sound system. As the familiar verses and chords started playing through the speakers, I navigated through the various programs until I came to my internet application. A few strokes of the keys, I was looking at the results of my search on therapists who accepted Flamingo Cove insurance. Dr. Carla Jones, Dr. Robert Bryant, Dr. Beth Walters, Dr. James Snider . . ., I recited to myself as I jotted down their names and phone numbers on the nearby memo pad. Thoroughly satisfied that I had a sufficient amount of names, but not motivated enough to start the interview process, not just yet, I decided to check my email in the hopes that maybe Bella responded to my last email. There was nothing in my inbox. I sighed and began to write another email to my daughter.

Dearest Bella:
Where are you? I haven’t heard from you in a couple of days and I know you have Internet access. I am worried about you. Please respond or call me as soon as you get this email.
I don’t know if your father told you yet, but I’m coming to Forks to visit for a couple of days. Phil is doing great at his new job! So since things are slow around here I thought that I would go to see my favorite daughter. You can introduce me to all of your friends; we can go shopping; there is so much that we can do! My plane arrives tomorrow afternoon. I’ll see you then.
I love you,
-Mom

I hit the spell check key to make sure everything was perfect and sent the email. Hopefully I’ll get some kind of response. I thought as I switched off the computer and the stereo.

Phil was due to be back home from school soon. It’s a good thing I already ran all of my errands already. I went to the kitchen to try to figure out what I was going to cook for dinner. Cooking was not my forte. I like the meals that I cook, but Charlie and Phil would always complain that my food was too exotic and unpredictable. But I needed to do something to butter Phil up before I asked him to paint Bella’s room while I was away.

I heard the old station wagon pull into the driveway. Phil was home. I quickly pulled out some chicken breasts and threw it in the oven. When Phil walked through the door I was in the process of peeling potatoes.

“Hi hon,” Phil said as he gave me a kiss on the cheek.

“How was your day?”

“Well, you know . . . the usual. I had to show the third baseman how to properly defend the base and how to turn a double play.”

“Sounds interesting,” I said smiling at him.

“Speaking of interesting . . .” Phil began as he cautiously eyed my cooking, “what is all of this for?” he asked as he gestured towards the oven. I put down the peering knife that I was using to peel the potatoes and snuggled into his waiting arms.

“Well . . . I was just thinking that there is a lot of stuff that I need to get done before I bring Bella back from Washington . . .”

“Uhm hum.”

“. . . and I was wondering if you would be so kind as to paint Bella’s room a nice shade of purple while I was gone.”

“Do you really think that will help?”

“I don’t see how it couldn’t.”

Phil seemed to think it over. “Sure.” I stood on my toes and kissed him.

“Thanks baby,” was my response as I slipped out of his arms and resumed fixing dinner.

“Is it actually edible?” Phil asked jokingly. I threw the dish towel at him as we both began to laugh.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the morning I made it to the airport just in time to catch the flight. It's a four-hour flight from Jacksonville to Seattle, another hour in a small plane up to Port Angeles, and then an hour drive back down to Forks. Of course, it was raining when I reached the outskirts of the small logging town.

Nothing has changed. I thought as I drove through the town. I remembered the time that I spent here with my then husband, Charlie. I also remembered why I had to leave. Charlie’s house, my old house, looked exactly the same. I pulled my rented 2010 Chevrolet Camero into the driveway and cut off the engine. I hadn’t had time to sit and mentally prepare myself for this moment while I was in Jacksonville. I never thought that the situation with Bella would get so bad that her father and I would have to stage a mini-intervention.

I looked out of the window at the neighborhood. Everyone else was going about their normal routines, oblivious to the turmoil happening in this little 2 bedroom house. The expanse of woods behind Charlie’s house caught my eye. So that’s where that monster left my little girl. I thought as anger, once again, began to fill my being as I thought of Edward.

If I had managed to talk her into coming back to Florida with me after her accident none of this would have happened. She wouldn’t have gone missing . . . she wouldn’t have gotten depressed over that boy moving away . . . everything would be normal, as it should be. I closed my eyes and took several deep breaths before opening the door.

The front door opened as I began walking towards it. Charlie must have heard the car as I pulled up.

“Renee! You made it,” he started.

“It was no problem. You’re looking well.”

“Thanks,” he replied blushing and looking down.

“Come on in.” Charlie moved out of the door to let me into the house.

Exactly as I remembered it. He didn’t even repaint the kitchen cabinets. I assessed as I walked through the house.

“Where is she?” I asked timidly.

“At school. She goes through the motions of being normal. I guess in an attempt to make me think that she’s ok.”

“I’ll tell you Renee,” he started thoughtfully, “I’ve never seen anything like it. It’s like she’s trying to avoid anything that reminds her of him. Whenever you try to bring up a subject that makes her think of him, she wraps her arms around herself, like she’s trying to keep herself together in one piece.”

My anger with Edward flared as I mentally pictured what Charlie was telling me. God, please . . . please let me run into Edward Cullen in a dark alley. I silently pled.

“Did you tell her that I was coming? Did you tell her why?”

“I told her that you were coming, but she already knew. She said that you emailed her and told her that you were coming. I didn’t tell her why you were coming. Did you tell her why?”

So she did read my email. “I told her that I wanted to spend some time with her. You know, mother-daughter time.”

I went into the living room and took a seat on the loveseat. I thought I caught a look of disappointment on Charlie’s face as I sat on the loveseat, but he quickly masked it. I wonder why.

“Uhm, did you want any water, orange juice, coffee?” Charlie asked, breaking the silence.

“Sure. Water will be fine.”

Charlie headed towards the kitchen to retrieve my water as a rumbling noise came from outside.

“Bella’s home!” Charlie yelled to me over the noise.

A fresh wave of panic came over me in anticipation of Bella walking through the front door. What could I say that will console her? What could I do to help her? The front door opened and in walked Bella.

She looked the same. I thought as I looked her over; or at least that was what I thought until I looked into her eyes. They were empty; like no one was there, almost soulless.

“Hi mom.” She said, giving me a weak smile that didn’t touch her eyes.

“Hey sweetie,” I replied, giving her a hug. I put my hand to her cheek and looked into her eyes genuinely concerned. “How are you?”

She shrugged, “I’m doing fine.” She sidestepped me and went to put her book bag down. “Hey dad.”

“Hey Bells, how was school?” Charlie asked, trying to engage Bella in a conversation.

“It was fine. I had a pop quiz in History. I think I did ok.”

“Of course you did well.” I chimed in.

Bella went to the refrigerator and started pulling out ingredients for dinner. I leaned against the doorframe and watched as she got everything together and began to cook.

She does look a little thinner than when I saw her last. Stress will definitely do that to you. I wonder if she’s eating. Charlie hadn’t mentioned anything about a lack of appetite.

“I’m guessing this is the normal routine?” I asked teasingly.

“Yeah, you know Charlie can’t cook!” Bella replied with a thin smile.

“I was doing just fine before you came Bells. Didn’t miss one meal.” Charlie said, obviously proud of himself.

My eyes met with Bella’s with an unspoken message. We both knew what Charlie’s meals consisted of before Bella moved to Forks; microwave dinners.

Charlie handed me the glass of water as I sat in the kitchen chair. Charlie sat next to me, both of us facing where Bella was preparing dinner. What was the best way to approach this situation? Bella brought up the subject before I could figure out where to start.

“Mom, I’m glad that you came, but if you’re only here because you’re concerned about me, you made this trip for nothing.”

“I came because I want to see you. Of course I am concerned about your well being.” I began.

“Honestly mom, I am fine.”

“No Bella, you are not fine. You don’t behave like a normal teenager. You don’t hang out with your friends. You aren’t involved in any school activities. You mope around the house all the time.” Charlie chimed in the conversation.

Bella pressed her lips together while stirring a pot of noodles.

“Your mother and I are really worried. You haven’t been the same since . . .”

“Don’t say it! I don’t want to think about that!” Bella interrupted as she began hugging herself.

Charlie shot me a look while I watched my daughter writhe in obvious pain.

“Well, you know. I think, that it will be a good idea for you to get away from Forks for a while. You know, go and stay with your mother for a while.”

“You don’t want me here?” Bella asked astonished and hurt.

“Of course Charlie wants you here, Bella. But, being here isn’t healthy for you. You are our number one priority. You’re going to love Jacksonville! It’s sunny every day and you’ll have your own bathroom!” I sounded like a pitchman even in my own ears. Bella had regained some of her composure and went back to cooking, though it appeared as though it took her some effort to do so.

“I’ve already bought your plane ticket. We can head back to Jacksonville whenever you would like.” I continued, pressing my resolve and willing her not to make a scene.

Bella put the spoon down and faced Charlie and myself.

“Ok. I’ll go back with you.”

Astonishment overtook me. I was not expecting her to give in so quickly. Bella usually stuck to her guns when she made a decision, and it was her decision to move to Forks. I knew better than to think that the power of mine and Charlie’s argument swayed her to see our point of view.

What was the driving reason for her consent? I wondered. But you don’t look a gift horse in the mouth, or so the saying is.

“Great!! When do you want to leave?” I asked enthusiastically.

Bella shrugged her shoulders and went back to cooking.

“Well, tomorrow is Friday, and next week is Spring Break. If you guys leave, say Saturday, that will give you time to get settled in with your mom and time to get ready for school there,” Charlie offered. “The kids won’t be there, but I’m sure that the teachers and administrative staff will be.”

“You know, that actually isn’t a bad idea.” I conceded.

It was settled. Bella and I will leave for Jacksonville on Saturday morning. After dinner I excused myself to call Phil and make the necessary travel arrangements. My baby girl was coming home. I only prayed that we weren’t too late in getting her some help.

Views: 2504

Replies to This Discussion

There is a lot going on. We know why the Harmons (including Victoria) are hunting Bella. And it makes sense that the Volturi would hear about the murders in Beaver and Forks and decide to investigate.

I'll post more as soon as I have it written. I'm literally posting as soon as the chapter is done.

-TRCreations
I just finished up with what you have so far and its awesome you are a great writer well thought out story I absolutely love it. I would like to get updates if you dont mind!!
Thank you and thanks for reading my story! I just sent a friend request.

-TRCreations
Awesome chapter
Awesome!!! I love this chapter!!!!!

I'm so glad the illusion worked on Brennen!!! Bella and Edward don't need another love triangle!

I can't wait to find out how they save Renee and Phil...
I don't think it's that messed up. The conflict between Brennan and Edward is resolved. Bella as a truce with Rosalie. So the main issue with the Harmons need to be resolved. The Volturi are coming in reaction to the Harmons causing trouble, thoug their presence will cause an additional problem for the Cullens.

The Cullens and Bella's family will be fine.

-TRCreations
how about the voutri come right when the harmans are about to attack with the new borns and the harmmens get in trouble just a suggesten
it just keeps getin better i love it!!!!!1 keep me posted!!!
peace love and twilight!!
Ally~Ray Cullen <3
So good :)
Chapter Fifty-Nine
BPOV
Shielding

I got back into the bed, trying to grasp some additional sleep. Now that I knew that the battle between my family and the Harmons will take place in two days, I had to make sure that I was well rested. I knew that we had a lot that we needed to accomplish before then.

I laid on my back, staring up at the ceiling. The room took on a magical color as the sun began to shine in through the different shaded fabrics that Edward and Alice attached to the glass walls.

“Edward?” I called, as I turned my head to the right to see him sitting on the sofa, reading a book. He looked up when I called his name.

“Do you think that we have time to squeeze in one more training session tonight?”

“We do,” he replied, trying to figure out why I was interested in the training session. “We will be fine,” he said, assuming that I was worried.

I was worried. Worried about him; worried about the Cullens in general; worried about Renee and Phil; and most importantly, worried about Charlie. In fact, I was too worried to sleep.

“I’m worried.”

“I know that you are,” he said, putting the book down and standing up. “And you have every right to be worried.”

“What are we going to do about my parents?” I asked, still unable to come up with an answer.

“I don’t know,” he said, his brow furrowed. “But we will figure something out,” he assured me.

“I was thinking. . . . maybe Brennan can use my shield to protect everyone from Jane. If she works in the mind, then that
will give you guys some help. Right?”

“Right. That’s what Alice saw when Amber was putting Brennan under. She saw Brennan using your shield to protect us.”

“That’s what you whispered to Amber.” I said understanding.

“There was a change of plans.” “Bella, try to get some sleep,” he said as he stroked my hair.

“I can’t sleep. I know that I need to sleep, but I’m too keyed up. Do you think Carlisle can help?”

Edward seemed reluctant to get Carlisle. “I’d rather you try to sleep on your own without the aid of medication. That way you can wake up when you’re ready.”

“Just in case something happens that you’ll need me awake before the medication wears off,” I said, completing his thought.

He didn’t answer, he just looked at me.

I scooted over some as he sat on the edge of the bed closest to me.

“Sleep,’ he whispered as he stroked my cheek and began to hum my lullaby.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was close to noon before I woke up. Those few hours of sleep, really helped. I looked over at the sofa, expecting to see Edward there, but he wasn’t. Instead, Alice was sitting at his desk, on the Mac again. Edward wasn’t in the room.

“Where is Edward?” I asked, sitting up.

“He had an errand to run. He’ll be right back.”

“Oh,” I replied somewhat disappointed. I had gotten used to seeing his angelic face every time I woke up.

“Searching for more plane tickets?” I asked as I started to get out of the bed.

“Nope. Actually, I’m shopping for you,” she replied, smiling.

“For me? What for?”

“For your honeymoon. You’re going to need new clothes to wear. I found some fabulous pieces that I am positive that Edward will appreciate!”

“Let me see,” I said, walking over to the computer screen. I didn’t like the sound of what Alice said. I was sure that she’d pick something that I would never wear when I was alone, and especially alone with Edward.

Alice quickly closed the browser again. “You can’t see this either. I have to pack your bags for you.”

“No you’re not! Why?” I protested.

“Because if you pack, you could guess where you’re going. . . .” Alice paused for a second. “On second thought, you’ll never guess, but I’m still packing your bags!”

“Alice!” I whined.

“You better go freshen up. There’s a lot to do today and Edward will be back soon,” she said, effectively dismissing me.

I gathered up my toiletries and a change of clothes before heading towards the bathroom down the hall.

There was an elegant, embossed note card on the counter that was addressed to me. I set my things down and read the card.

“Dearest Bella. If you are reading this card, I did not make it back to my place at your side before you woke. I had a few errands to run this morning and will be back as soon as possible. Alice will keep you company until my return.
Take care of my heart; I left it with you.
Love always,
Edward”

I smiled as I reread his last line. It didn’t take me long to freshen up and I was back in Edward’s room within fifteen minutes. Alice was gone, but he was there waiting on me.

“Hi,” I said breathlessly as I put my things down. “So where did you go?”

“I had to go and pick up some things,” he said as he gave me a kiss that had my heart fluttering.

“Really?”

He smiled my favorite crooked smile that touched his eyes.

There was a knock at the door before I could think of anything else to say.

“Come in,” he called. I went about putting my things away as Brennan walked into the room. I instinctively tensed as he entered, not knowing how Edward would react to being so near to Brennan. Edward’s jovial mood didn’t change when Brennan entered.

“Good afternoon,” Brennan said as he spoke to the both of us.

“Hi Brennan,” I replied, pretending to be engrossed in putting away my toiletry bag.

“What’s up?” Edward asked.

“I was wondering if I could share your gift again. It’s been a couple of days so it doesn’t work anymore.”

“Sure,” Edward replied without hesitation. “It would be helpful if you and I could communicate to help coordinate our attack.”

“I was thinking the same thing.”

“Have you thought about the second gift you’ll use?”

“I’m assuming that you have a suggestion,” Brennan said, assuming correctly.

“Alice saw you using Bella’s gift.”

Panic ran through my system. If I share my gift with Brennan, would he be able to hear my thoughts again? I wondered. I’m sure Edward wouldn’t tell Brennan about Alice’s vision if he thought that there was a chance that Brennan would pick up my thoughts again.

“Shielding,” Brennan said thinking about it. “That would be helpful. If I can learn to project it far enough, I may be able to shield the family from Jane and Demetri,” Brennan said thinking aloud.

“Exactly.”

Seeing the two of them together plotting our defense put in me total awe of Amber’s gift. Only a couple of hours ago, the friendship between Edward and Brennan was on the rocks, at best.

“Bella, do you mind if I shared your gift?” Brennan asked.

“Sure,” I replied as I walked over to them.

“Thank you,” Brennan said as he extended his hand. I shook his hand, as did Edward.

“You’re welcome. I just hope it can be useful.”

“I’ll be willing to work with you,” Edward replied to no one.

“What did he say?” I asked, knowing that they were talking to each other.

“Brennan wants to start practicing on projecting your gift.”

“Is that something that we can do while my parents are up?”

“Yes. All I would need is Edward’s and someone else’s help.” “You can be the person I’m trying to protect,” he stated to Edward.

“So we’ll need either Amber to project an illusion, or Kate,” Edward thought aloud.

“What’s Kate’s gift?” I asked. I’d never heard them speak of her gift.

“She can send an electric current. Her gift is sort of like Jane’s only on a smaller scale,” Brennan replied.

“So you’re thinking about having Kate shock you to see if Brennan can project my gift?!” I asked astonished. “I don’t like that idea,” I said shaking my head. “Just like you nixed the idea of Amber trying to change the time on me, I’m nixing this idea.”

“Sweetheart, Kate can’t injure me. You, however, can be injured. That’s why I didn’t want Amber to test that part of her gift on you,” Edward explained.

“We’re equals, remember.”

“I remember,” he replied patiently.

“You have veto power and so do I.”

“We can tell her to use her lowest ‘setting.’ I’m sure she can regulate the levels,” Brennan added, trying to help resolve the conflict.

“Bella, it’s the quickest way,” Edward explained.

I thought about it for a moment. I definitely didn’t like the fact that he would be in pain. But Edward seemed so sure that it was something that he could handle, and as he pointed out tactfully, time is of the essence.

“Fine,” I gave in reluctantly. “But you’ve got to remember that if you guys practice in front of my parents, you can’t express any pain,” I reminded him. He took my face between his hands and kissed my forehead.

“Do you want to watch?”

“Of course!”

Edward and Brennan exchanged a knowing glance as they smiled.

“After you,” Brennan said, stepping aside so I could walk out of the bedroom door.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Renee, Esme, Rosalie and Tanya were all sitting at the dining room table, pouring over a book of sample wedding invitations.

“Bella! Come and pick one that you like,” Renee said, catching me trying to sneak past the opening.

“Wait for me,” I told Edward as he and Brennan went to find Kate.

“Oh, were you two going some where?” she asked.

“Just out back. There was something that he wanted to show me,” I fudged.

“Well. . . .”

“Mom, I trust you and Esme to make a good choice. I really don’t care about the invitations.”

“Bella, you really do need to put more effort into planning this wedding,” Renee complained.

“Ok. Esme, could you please put tiger lilies in my floral arrangements? Rosalie, could you please find two different styled suits for the groomsmen and our fathers? You can get Alice to help you if you need to know what the theme is. Mom, can you please pick out an invitation that is simple, but elegant?” I asked, delegating the responsibility.

“I meant for you to be doing some of the things yourself. You only get to do your first marriage once sweetheart.”

“I know mom. But right now, I’m a little busy.” “I’ll check back in with you guys a little later. I promise,” I said in parting as I went to find Edward and Brennan.

Brennan, Edward and Kate were already out back by the time I caught up with them.

“Ok. So Kate, what we need for you to do is to provide a slight electrical current to Edward, while I try to project Bella’s
shield,” Brennan was explaining.

“You’re trying to project? I can do that too,” she replied.

“How?” I asked curious.

“My gift initially was only in my palms. But over time I learned to be able to spread it to my entire body.”

“How much time did it take?” Brennan asked.

“A couple of years.”

“But we don’t have a couple of years. We have a couple of days. Actually less than that,” I said walking up to them.

“I’m just going to have to work really hard,” Brennan conceded.

“Let’s get started,” Edward said, eager to get going.

I sat on the back porch steps as Brennan stood near Edward while Kate placed her hand on his shoulder. Though he didn’t show any outward signs, I could only imagine that he was getting zapped pretty good.

“Tell me when you can’t feel the current anymore,” Brennan instructed.

They stood in that position for several minutes.

“It’s lessening,” Edward said. “I can still feel the current, but it isn’t as bad.”

Brennan nodded as he seemed to concentrate even harder.

“It’s gone,” Edward said suddenly.

“You can’t feel anything?” Kate asked, making sure.

“I don’t feel anything,” he confirmed.

“Want me to crank up the juice?” Kate asked. “Just to make sure that the shield offer complete protection,” she reasoned.

“No,” I interrupted. “We had an understanding,” I reminded Edward.

“Bella’s right. We do have an understanding,” Edward said.

“Did you feel that?” Kate asked.

“No,” Edward replied, amused.

She must have tried to shock him really good. I realized, slightly annoyed with Kate.

“It’s a well rounded shield. That will work,” Kate replied excited. “I’m sorry Bella. I just had to try and I knew that he wouldn’t consent to it since you talked him into playing it safe,” she explained.

“Kate, I know that you’re trying to help, but next time, please respect our wishes,” I told her as sweetly as I could while getting my annoyance across. Jasper walked out the back door to see what was going on.

“Jasper, I think we may have another advantage,” Edward told him, slightly changing the subject. “Brennan was able to project Bella’s shield beyond himself to include me.”

“Really? That would be useful.” “How far can you project?” he asked Brennan.

“I don’t know. We haven’t tried to measure the distance.”

“How about we do it now?” I suggested.

“Jasper, can you change my emotional atmosphere. While he’s doing that, Brennan, you can try to project to include me,” I said. I figured that there was at least twenty feet between the bottom porch step and where Edward, Brennan and Kate were standing.

“That’s a good start,” Brennan agreed.

“Let’s see how far you can go,” Jasper said, liking the idea.

“Ready?” Kate asked as he prepared to shock Edward.

“Sure,” he replied.

Brennan already had a look of concentration on his face that eventually smoothed out. I was feeling rather anxious before Jasper came outside, and I was still feeling the same.

“Are you even doing anything?” Edward asked Kate.

“Funny, because I was about to ask Jasper the same thing.”

All of us had our different versions of a smile on our faces. Brennan was able to project my shield at least twenty feet.

I wonder if he can go further. I thought.

“He probably can,” Edward answered.

My eyes grew wide. Edward seemed to not realize that he answered my thought, not my words. It was only after he saw my reaction did it dawn on him what just happened. I quickly mentally tucked away those things that I didn’t want him to hear or to know.

“You can hear me,” I stated.

“As long as we’re both under the shield.”

How interesting.

“How about Bella and Jasper go to the front side of the house. That way, Brennan can see if he can cover a large area,” Kate suggested.

I’ll be back. I thought. Edward nodded in response. He looked like he didn’t want me to go.

Having too much fun reading my mind? I asked, assuming that his lack of enthusiasm was because he was fascinated with being able to hear me.

“Actually yes. But I’m sure we can finish this later,” he replied.

Jasper and I headed to the front yard while Brennan, Edward and Kate stayed in the back.

“Jasper, what do you actually think about all of this?” I asked once we were alone in the front. “I mean, what do you think our chances are.”

“There’s no way to tell. There are a lot of variables that can skew the ratios. Like, whether we can deal with the Harmons before the Volturi come; whether Volturi arrive first before the Harmons; whether they arrive at the same time. . . you understand.”

I did understand. “Do you think that the shield will really be of some help?” I questioned as anxiety flared. Usually Jasper would try to calm me down, but I wasn’t feeling calm.

“Have they started?” I asked before he had a chance to respond, knowing that he could hear either Brennan, Edward or Kate talking.

“Actually, Edward never complained of feeling any pain. And you’re still as anxious as ever. I’d say our experiment worked,” he replied.

“Are you trying to calm me down?”

“I was, but it doesn’t seem to be working.”

Brennan can project a shield big enough to cover the entire house, including the yards! I thought in amazement.

“It is amazing,” Edward said as he, Brennan and Kate arrived in the front.

“At least we don’t have to worry about Jane or Demetri,” I stated.

“That should shift more of the odds in our favor,” Jasper thought aloud.

“Brennan, how is it that you managed to master projection in a matter of minutes when it took me years?” Kate asked.

“I don’t know. I project Bella’s shield by picturing a dome in my mind, and pushing it out in my mind. That seems to work.”

“This is definitely something we should tell the others about,” Edward said as we started for the front door.
amazing. you are a really fantastic writer.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service