The Twilight Saga

First of all, before you all plunge into the life of my newest character (That's here to stay!) I want to give a HUGE thanks to Angel for making this absolutely fantabulous banner that is so absolutely amazing!!!

Now let the story....

Begin.

~

Chapter One

What if?

That’s always the big question, isn’t it? What if I had followed him? What if I hadn’t agreed to go to this new house? What if I had been a rebellious kid? What if I had hung out with the cheerleaders? What if I hadn’t turned out as guyish as I did? What if I did wear makeup once and became addicted to how it made me look?

I could do on and on—these questions pierce everyone’s minds at least once in their lifetime. Thinking questions that start with “What if” is an addicting thing to do—even if it tortures you, and you know it does, you can’t stop. Those two words are like persistent flies that don’t get the phrase, “I’m going to kill you with a fly swatter” until you’ve already done it and they’re long gone—except, they never leave until they’ve been answered.
      I, personally, don’t have many questions like these in my head for several reasons—one key reason being I live in the moment and don’t have any regrets…mostly. The only time I’m not brave is when it comes to emotions—besides that, I just go with the flow without any rhyme or reason. Pretty sweet, huh?
     Now, as I sat on the counter in the local bakery-type-thing-that-also-serves-milkshakes-and-muffins-and-such, I most definitely didn’t have any of that on my mind.
     “Well that sucks,” Jade announced as I gave her the news—I was moving. Not far, really, we were just moving a bit closer to the newest store my dad was working at as he tried to “turn it around”.
     Jade was the gothic one in the bunch of us---I mean, I didn’t view her as goth but everyone else did. She had raven black hair, piercing green eyes, and relatively pale skin. She always had her nails painted black and she loved to complain and be sarcastic—but, she was one of my best friends. From the moment we’d moved here and I’d gotten to my new—erm, old now I supposed—school, I had pinned her down to be my friend since she didn’t seem like the type to pry or care even in the slightest that I was about 75%+ boy—technically. I mean, I was still a girl, I just didn’t act or dress like most girls did.
     “We’ll still get to see you, right?” Lilly’s voice quivered as she asked me this.
     Lilly was a ditzy blond with some memory problems. She, too, had green eyes but hers had more of an Aqua tone to them then Jade’s did. Her skin wasn’t as pale, but still pale and, also, freckle-less. She may have been seventeen, but she acted like any six year old—you know, minus the bratty attitude. She was distracted by shiny objects—basically anything, really--, had wandering thoughts, and an attention span that was roughly the equivalent of a ten year old; maybe a tad bit better than that.
     I laughed at Lilly’s comment, now, though. “Of course you will, Lilly! You live with me and I’ll still work here so I’ll be able to see Jade.” I rolled my eyes, smiling now however.
     Lilly blinked at this then giggled herself. “Oh yeah! I forgot!” She beamed at me, not the least bit phased.
     "You’re moving schools, too, you know,” I reminded her gently since I had a feeling she’d forgotten that, if I was moving schools, she was as well.
     “I knew that, silly Kris!” She laughed again and said to Jade, “Hey, Jade, isn’t Kris silly? She is, isn’t she?”
     Again, I rolled my eyes with a grin but—truth be told—I felt terrible for Lilly. She had no parents, a horrible memory, and she also talked to herself at times by answering her own questions or murmuring stuff to herself when she didn’t know something. I thought she might be slightly insane, but I’d never say that to her—she was a bit too…fragile. Sure, she’d take it good at first, but once it settled in she’d go into hysterias of sobbing and she might run off—I wouldn’t want her to do that.
     While Lilly had no parents that we knew of, Jade had parents—and two brothers as well, though she rarely spoke of them--, her parents were split. Jade lived with her mom—her brothers with her dad-- and had switched her last names when her mom had remarried.
     The chime above the door sounded and Lilly yelled as cheerily as ever, “Hi! Welcome!” She gave the person who had walked in a big smile as she poised at her station behind the counter, ready to grab something at a seconds notice.
     Lilly worked behind the counter getting ice cream, muffins, and milkshakes--whatever the order was. She used to work at the cash register because of her perky and people loving nature, but she’d always press the wrong buttons, give too much change or too little, and she’d take forever as she’d try to remember what to do—so we switched her and put her behind the scenes so she wouldn’t cause as much trouble…although, she did—occasionally—spill something and make a big mess it was really no trouble at all to clean it up.
     Jade, now, worked at the register---which probably wasn’t the best position for her considering she didn’t really like people, but she was quick with cash. She didn’t mind it, but she didn’t love it. I sensed she would rather be behind the scenes so she wouldn’t have to talk to anyone who came in, but she didn’t complain because she didn’t truthfully care.
     I, on the other hand, was a mixture between the supervisor, behind the scenes person, and register worker. Basically, I did it all when I wasn’t doing what I was now—resting and taking my break.
     I wasn’t going to go to school for a few days, however, because I was procrastinating. I’d told my dad that I needed to say goodbye and that I was a bit nervous—he’d just muttered, “yeah, yeah, sure” in response. If he’d been listening, I’m sure he would’ve said different but, hey, who was I to argue?
     The door chimed again and I glanced over to see a little girl with hair so blond it was almost white and bright blue eyes that were shining. She had regular skin—not tan, but not pale—and a smattering of freckles across her nose. I was proud to call this girl Tatum, my younger sister.
     Tatum had inherited our dad’s looks while I had acquired my mom’s strawberry blond hair and eyes such a pale blue that sometimes they were mistaken for being grey. My mom had always said that, when the sunlight hit them just right, it made it seem like I was in a trance of sorts.
     “Kris!” Tatum shrieked as she saw me. She dropped her backpack and ran over to me as I slipped over the counter just in time to scoop her up and twirl her in my arms.
     “Hey, kiddo, how was your first day at your knew school?” I asked her as I kissed her forehead.
     “It was awesome! I met so many new kids and I got to go outside for thirty minutes and play on the swing set! I slid down the slide and everything! I almost knocked into Adam but he moved out of the way!” she gushed, beaming at me. “And after, Adam’s mom offered to bring me home since dad wasn’t there to pick me up!”
     “Oh?” I raised an eyebrow at her. “You know you’re not supposed to take rides from strangers, Tate.” I shook my head. “Next time, go to the office and call my cell phone, okay?”
      Tatum nodded obediently and I said, “Good girl.” I set her down and walked over to the woman who had come in after her, assuming she was Adam’s mom.
     “I’m Kris,” I greeted her, giving her the smallest of smiles. “Kris Gracelyn, Tatum’s older sister. I’m so sorry you had to take her here.”
     As I spoke, I examined this woman. She had dark brown hair and extremely tan skin—not a freckle in sight. She had chocolate brown eyes and the corners of her mouth were tipped up, as if she were ready to smile at any moment.
     “Oh, it’s no big deal really!” She laughed, her voice slightly high-pitched. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Kris. I’m Mrs. Jackson.” Mrs. Jackson smiled at me and gave me a hug—which I thought was a bit personal considering we had only just met. “I’m actually not Adam’s mom; I just help his dad around the house.” She gave a small smile at this then paused before asking, “Is your real name Kris? Or is it Kristen?”
     I shook my head. “No, my real name is Krissy but I absolutely hate it so I’m Kris.” I looked her dead in the eyes as I spoke, hoping she got my silent message that meant she was supposed to call me Kris as well if we ever met again.
     Mrs. Jackson nodded. “Well, as I said, it was a pleasure to meet you Kris and I’m so sorry to have to rush out on you like this, but Adam is waiting in the car right now and I don’t want him to be late getting home.” She gave an apologetic smile and waved as she left.
     I shook my head, making a face at the back of her car as she left. “I don’t like her,” I announced. “Too…girlish.”
     Jade snorted, but the snort was unsteady and I turned around to see her slightly paler then usually.
     “Jade?” I spoke her name softly—something was off.
     “It’s nothing,” she said, waving me off as easily as if I were asking if she had done her homework.
     I nodded, not pressing her further.
     “Now lets get home, Tatum, Lilly, we’ve got to start unpacking.” I took Tatum’s hand in mine and waited for Lilly to come out around the corner. “Are you okay for the last twenty minutes alone, Jade?” I asked her.
      Jade nodded and said, “I’ll just close up early.” She grinned slightly and waved us off. “Have fun in your new house.”
     “Oh yeah, it’ll be a joy,” I grumbled as I left out the door and walked to my car, slipping in after helping Tatum in her booster seat. I started up the car, backed out, and left as a small sense of unease slipped over me.

Tags: If, What, Yuuki

Views: 280

Replies to This Discussion

...*loads gun* Eli, it's time to go bye bye! >_< 

Poor Kris and Josh! My heart was beating like a freaking jack rabbit! I loved the descriptions of the pain and of how she felt. I especially liked the red description ((I don't know why, it was just interesting!))

Loved it Yuuki! UPDATE SOON WITH MORE JOSH!!!!

OmG dis story is sssssssssssoooooooo poppin lol its awesome can u send me a frind request so I can stay updated cuz my computer is actin stupid pplllzz thanks
-love mizz.tw33ty b!rd a.k.a mizz.clearwater-

Sorry I haven't commented in a while. I just caught up now.

It seems like I'm the only one who like Eli!!!!!!! hehe...GO ELI! :D

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service