The Twilight Saga

I've been working on this fan fiction for about a month I suppose and I've been posting it on Fan Fiction.Net. It's called The Twilight Saga - Solar Flare. It's basically the story of what would have happened if Jacob and Bella had kissed in New Moon without that phone call interrupting them. It's the story of what would happen if Jacob and Edward's roles were reversed. I've already got 3 chapters made and I'm working on chapter 4 now. I thought I might as well post them here as well.

The story begins right when they're about to kiss.

1. Promise

BELLA SWAN

"Bella," Jacob whispered.

I was frozen.

No! I hadn't made this decision yet. I didn't know if I could do this, and now I was out of time to think. But I would have been a fool if I thought rejecting him now would have no consequences.

Maybe it would feel nice. Maybe it wouldn't feel like a betrayal. True love was forever lost, so who was I betraying? Only myself.

Keeping his eyes on mine, Jacob began to bend his face toward me. The closer he got, the more unsure I became. Was I really going to do this? How badly would this end up? Would this end badly? He held my face still and closed his eyes as his lips met mine, my eyes shut as well, a little too tight.

As his mouth had discovered my passive resistance, he moved his right hand to the back of my head and his left gently around my waist, pulling me closer now. The closer I became, the more my lips would resist. I wasn't trying to pull away, but wouldn't respond back, I couldn't. Jacob could see this now, he started to rub the back of neck trying to get a response out of me; I just couldn't.

That's when Jacob stopped, his right hand slowly releasing my neck, his left unwrapping around my waist, and his lips fading away. I didn't need to look at Jacob to see the hurt, I could feel it, and his pain was my pain. Something in me broke free just then and I couldn't hold it back. My hands reacted before I could realize it, my left arm wrapping around his waist, my right hand grabbing the back of his head, pulling him closer to me now. Just as I could feel his pain, I could feel his joy now too. Jacob responded almost instantly; he wrapped his arms around me and began kissing me back, his warm lips gentle. I couldn't tell how long we were kissing, it felt like forever, and I didn't want it to stop.

That's when it hit me; I'd been wrong all this time, I'd been lying to myself. Jacob was more than just my friend, he was more than someone I could rely on to make me feel better. I knew I needed him more than I needed most people, but I had no idea just how much until now. I've never felt happier before, after being so abnormal for so long, it's like a breath of air after being underwater for hours. The hole in my chest is completely gone now, I didn't think it were possible, but Jacob cured everything. He is everything to me, I was in love with him. I'd loved him all this time, but I was too afraid to get it through my thick skull. I was too afraid of betrayal, too afraid of him. I wonder if I'll ever hear his voice again, not that it mattered anymore.

Suddenly I felt Jacob stiffen up, he jerked away from me and released his arms. I opened my eyes, ready to pull him back, but he was shaking again. The expression on his face was half angry and half horrified.

He jetted for the front door, grabbing the handle with a little too much force. I stumbled after him with my arm out in front of me.

"No!" I shouted. It was a reflex.

Jacob stopped then, releasing the handle. He looked at me distraught, still standing right next to the door. He took a quick glance at the door handle and back at me, like he was deciding something. I didn't want him to leave, now more than ever. Did he have to leave now? If he did leave, would I go with him? What about Alice?

Jacob turned his entire body in my direction. He slowly walked toward me, wrapped his one arm around my waist, and positioned himself in front of me, as if trying to protect me.

Protect me from what, was Victoria nearby? Did she get past Embry and Jared? Was she attracted her by Alice? That's when it hit me, Alice, of course. Alice came through the back door and walked gracefully into the kitchen, resting her arms onto the kitchen table. Jacob backed us away toward the sink, he was shaking again and his teeth were clenched. Alice's face did not look approving either.

"I see you two get along well," Alice judged, staring directly at Jacob.

I nodded gently, a little embarrassed. Jacob pulled me closer to him.

"Alice this is Jacob. Jacob, Alice," I said, blushing now.

Jacob stabbed me a disgusted look and growled. Alice rolled her eyes at me.

"Bella, I think it's time I left."

Jacob gave a brief sigh of relief, while still holding me tight.

"No!" I shouted. Jacob stabbed another look at me, a look of betrayal.

"Really though, Bella, I think it's time I left. If Edward finds out I'm here…" Alice explained, looking a bit nervous, "He can get really angry sometimes."

I flinched a little and Jacob growled again.

"Do you have to go now? Just a few more weeks, please?" I begged.

"I'm really sorry Bella, but it has to be tonight," She said, looking truly sorry.

"Tonight. Good," Jacob muttered under his breath. Alice seemed to hear that and glared at him again. She looked back at me, suddenly cheerful.

"How about we spend the entire day doing whatever you want together. We could drive around, catch a movie, go to the mall, I'll buy you whatever you want. We won't separate for a second," She said, smiling wide.

I nodded sadly. "Yeah, that sounds good."

"You don't look very happy."

"No, I am. Really."

Alice pouted. "It's the best I can do. All the clothes you want, on me."

Jacob's shaking began to increase, his teeth clenched, and his eyes shut tight. I embraced him, it was almost instinctual.

"Jake, please. Calm," I whispered.

"Right…calm," He whispered back, his body going stiff now with only his hands shaking.

"We can go as soon as you put the dog out," Alice said critically. Jacob began to shake again.

"Calm," I reminded. His shaking only slowed down this time. He released me and started to back away.

"Don't worry, leech. I was just going," He hissed. He looked at me, his expression broken, "Bye, Bella."

Jacob began to walk towards the front door. I wrapped me arms around him, trying to get him to stop. "No, please. Stay. Please," I begged.

Jacob turned to look at me. "Bella, I have to go. I was only supposed to come here and get information. I have to report back."

My face fell, of course he was right. He was a werewolf, she was a vampire, and Jacob had responsibilities. But I didn't want to let him go, it was either go with Jacob and abandon Alice or go with Alice and leave Jacob betrayed. Stupid conflict. Why couldn't they just get along?

"Can't you just tell Embry and Jared, and then come back?" I insisted.

Jacob made a disgusted sound. "I don't think so, Bella. Besides, we've been neglecting treaty lines enough as it is."

Alice sighed. "Well, I'm the only Cullen here. So I guess if I say it's okay for now, than there shouldn't be a problem. For now." She grumbled.

My face lit up giving Alice a look of thanks. Jacob looked at her half angry, half confused, and back at me.

"You seriously want me around her? Remember what I said earlier, Bella."

I hadn't forgotten. This could end badly, very badly. By the end of the day, both of them might end up… I couldn't even think about it. I'm not going to let my selfishness hurt them both. I had to choose.

Before I could say a thing, Jacob wiped a tear from my eye. I was crying, I hadn't realized. He stood there for a few seconds, once again distraught. He then grabbed my arms and freed himself from my embrace. He stomped out the front, slamming the door behind him. My legs started to shake.

Alice made her way next to me and put her arm around my shoulder. "Sorry." She mouthed the word.

I rested my cheek on her head trying to fight back the tears that were welling up. This was for the best, right? I can manage to be away from Jacob for today, couldn't I? Just then, Alice groaned and released her arm from around me, folding them over her chest.

"Great. Just wonderful," She said with heavy sarcasm.

"What? What's wrong?" I asked, my voice breaking.

"The dog's tagging along."

I gasped, my eyes widened at the thought. I then heard a shout coming from outside, followed by angry and irritated voices. Were they arguing? My eyes were locked on the front door now. After a minute, I heard the sound of an engine starting up, followed by the squeal of the tires driving off, all a little too quickly. My eyes were still locked onto the door, my heart was racing.

The door slowly opened and Jacob came through. He looked at me and smiled, I smiled back wiping the tears that had escaped my efforts. Jacob glared at Alice, eyes very distrustful. Alice stared back at him with the same eyes.

"You better watch yourself," Jacob warned.

"Oh please, I should be saying that to you." Alice turned toward me, changing her expression to cheerful again. "So, where to first?"

"Really, you should decide. I'm sure you have better ideas than me."

"Oh, but I'm doing this for you."

"I think your last day here," I grimaced at the words, "Should be exactly what you want."

"Hmm…" Alice looked far off in concentration. Jacob put his arm around me again and backed away from Alice.

"It's okay," I whispered to him.

"Don't wanna take any chances," He whispered back through his teeth.

Alice groaned loudly, suddenly very irritated. She glared at Jacob.

"This would be so much easier if I could see our plans and go by those." She put extra emphasis on 'see'.

Jacob raised one eyebrow in confusion, but his face quickly lightened into one of understanding. He laughed once mockingly. "What? The future to blurry for you?"

Alice's mouth fell open for a split second, she gave me an accusing look. I let my head fall, looking up at her with apologetic eyes.

Alice sighed. "Yes, because you're around."

Jacob's eyes widened in surprise. "You can't see the future when I'm around?" That's great!"

Alice let a growl escape her teeth. I changed the subject. "Why don't we go see a movie first? Sound like a plan?"

"Sure," Alice agreed, "As long as we take Carlisle's car."

"Deal."

Alice headed out the front door leaving it wide open. Jacob hesitated to move, I tried nudging him with my elbow, no effect. Alice came back into view, seeing her clearly through the open door, she gave Jacob a mocking smile.

"Scared?" She called back.

Jacob rolled his eyes, but it seemed to do the trick. Jacob kept his arm securely around me and headed out the door slowly. Alice had already gotten in the driver's seat and the car door to the backseats was already open. Alice must have guessed that we'd want to sit together. Jacob walked up to the car at the same pace and hesitantly got in with me alongside him. I closed the door.

"Ugh, it stinks," Jacob groaned silently.

Alice turned the keys in the ignition and drove off immediately. Alice drove fast, almost as fast as Edward did; to think that I was frightened by the speed of the motorcycles. Jacob was very restless the whole way. He fidgeted, shifting his body from side to side and re-adjusted his arm around me. This was ridiculous, the point of this was to have fun with Alice, have fun while she's still here. How are we suppose to have fun when she and Jacob will be at each other's throats the whole time, it defeats the purpose. Maybe this is what I deserve, for being so selfish.

We were almost there, took no time at all, Jacob groaned and started staring at the car floor. He then, to my surprise, started to laugh.

"I cannot believe I'm doing this," Jacob laughed at himself, "Not only am I tagging along for your girl time, but with a bloodsucker as well. I've really lost it."

I hung my head down, slightly turning to look at his face. I was about to apologize, but Alice caught me off guard.

"We're here!" Alice sang, "So, what're we going to see?"

My head snapped up at her voice, that was a good question. I suggested the movies, but had no idea what to go see. I just wanted to get out of the house before Alice and Jake killed each other. My past experiences going to the movies were not entirely pleasant ones, I hoped that this wouldn't be the worst.

Alice waited for my answer; I grimaced at having to be the one to decide. Jacob raised his head and sighed.

"I hear Tomorrow and Forever's pretty popular," He suggested, looking directly at me, ignoring Alice.

I nodded my head, eager to agree, I was up for anything. Then it came back to me, I remember I'd turned down this movie before, back when Mike asked me. It was back when I was too broken to handle a romance. How would I feel now? I truly believe that the hole in my chest is somewhat gone at least, plus I have Jacob and Alice, for the moment. Maybe it won't be so bad.

"Bella," Alice looked at me doubtfully, "Is that what you want?"

"Yeah, sure."

"All right."

Alice got out and opened the door on my side. She reached out and took my hand, a warm smile lit up her face. Jacob, with his arm still securely around my waist, pulled me back. Alice grabbed my hand again and yanked, while Jacob firmly resisted. It was a brief match of tug-of-war with me as the rope, both competitors glaring each other down.

"Jake!" I snapped at him.

Jacob grimaced but gave up, releasing me hesitantly. Alice yanked me from my seat, causing me to stumble, but she caught me before I could cause any damage to myself.

"Sorry," She apologized, "Forgot how fragile you were."

"You sound like Edward."

Jacob got out on his side and made his way next to me, Alice to my right and Jacob to my left. We headed toward the theater; Alice bought two tickets for herself and me, leaving Jacob to pay for his own.

There weren't that many people in the theater, I'm assuming everyone had seen the movie already. It had been out for a while, this might be it's last week in theaters. We sat down, Alice to my right and Jacob to my left like before. I kept my eyes on them both cautiously; they wouldn't fight in here would they?

Alice suddenly started giggling, I looked up at the screen and a man was coming up with every excuse in the book to keep from getting fired. I was so occupied with watching Alice and Jake that I hadn't realized that the movie started already, for who knows how long.

I actually began to watch now; the man that got fired meets a rich woman who enjoys working with children. They fall in love and the man begins to help out with the children too, while still jobless. The man is secretly involved in some shady business involving loans and dangerous favors. The woman finds out what he's up to and the man confesses all that he's done, which in turn gets the woman involved.

So far the movie was pretty good; I wasn't feeling any pain from what I've seen up until now. Unfortunately, I'd spoken too soon. The man felt terrible for burdening the woman in his problems and decides to leave her.

I winced at the words "I don't want you to come." The man had spoken the same words as his. My head sank, I didn't want to look up at the screen anymore, I felt tense.

Jacob saw this; he put his arm around my shoulder and leaned his head against mine. I rested my head on his shoulder and shifted closer to him. Normally, something like this would set me off. I could see myself breaking into tears, screaming, and running out of the theater after witnessing this. But Jacob made everything so much better, he was my own personal sun again, but something else radiated from him besides the usual happiness and comfort. Love.

I let out a deep sigh of relief and looked up at the screen. Apparently I had missed a lot; the man was already begging the woman to take him back, saying that they can work something out as long as they're together. The woman all too happily takes him back and they agree to start a new life together somewhere far away.

The credits started rolling and the lights came back on. Alice eagerly got up and started toward the exit, Jacob and I followed.

Back in the car, Alice started the engine immediately but left it in park for a few minutes.

"Mmm, cliché ending," Alice said, looking thoughtful. Jacob nodded his head, looking past Alice.

"Yeah," Jacob looked at me now, "It's better than that other movie you took me to, though."

He laughed and I joined in; comparing it to Tomorrow and Forever just makes Crosshairs seem even more ridiculous. Alice looked back at me, a wide smile across her face.

"Shopping now?" Alice asked, delighted. I rolled my eyes.

"Of course, Alice."

"I'll make sure you have the most beautiful clothes in the store."

"Don't overdo it."

Alice pouted; she started driving straight for the mall which wasn't far from the movie theater at all. It took only two minutes to get there.

I told her not to overdo it, but in the end she ignored me. We went to every clothing store the mall had to offer, buying at least three things from each one. Every so often Alice would find something that she wanted for herself and get me the same one in my size. Jacob was enjoying the ordeal even less than I was; Alice was making him carry all the clothes. I could tell Jake was trying very hard not to lose his temper, I had to tell Alice to ease up a little. Alice was having the time of her life however, at least she was happy.

By the time we were done, it was dark out. The bright headlights of cars were passing by, avoiding people as they walked out of the mall and varies other stores around us.

"Well, I'd better get you home," Alice reminded.

I nodded slowly, knowing what will happen afterwards. The drive home felt longer, either Alice wasn't driving as fast as before or I was just trying to cling onto this moment for as long as I could.

Charlie wasn't there when we walked in. He must still be at the Clearwater's, probably doing whatever he can to help out. I felt bad that I wasn't there too, felt even worse that I was keeping Jacob away. I sat down on the sofa and Jacob joined me. Alice was arranging the clothes she bought in one pile and the clothes for me in another on the kitchen table. In a flash, she darted upstairs and my new clothes disappeared. The next second she was back, looking as cheerful as before.

"Hope you don't mind, but I'm sure you'll find your new beautiful clothes in perfect order," Alice said confidently.

"It's fine."

Alice started to stare off into the distance, her expression lost. Jacob shifted himself closer to me in a protective position. Alice let out a gasp, her cheerful expression didn't return.

"It's time for me to go."

I couldn't speak, I just let my head fall.

"I'm sorry Bella, but it's time. I can't stay any longer."

I just nodded. I was starting to feel the pain come back to me.

"Come on." Alice grabbed my hand and lifted me off the sofa. She led me outside to her car, Jacob followed quickly.

She let go of my hand to give me a hug. Her hard cold skin felt strangely soft and gentle when her arms wrapped around me. The wind blew her sweet clean scent toward me, I'd remember it for a while. I embraced her back, trying very hard to fight back tears. It seemed to last for a lifetime.

"Bye Bella," She said quietly in my ear, "I promise I'll be back."

"Promise?"

She nodded, "Promise."

Tags: alternate, bella, ending, fan, fiction, flare, jacob, saga, solar, twilight

Views: 2688

Replies to This Discussion

Hahaha! I had a feeling the lack of werewolves and a lot of Edward would annoy some people. Yeah, Jacob won't be thrilled. As for Bella feeling on Edward, well, it IS Bella. Gotta expect some kind of disappointment. :P Glad you liked the chapter :)

I don't mind lateness. I'm use to it.:)

Bella calls Edward "Ed" now? That's new.xD

I love this chapter, as always. Keep writing!

Yeah, though Edward's not too happy with the nickname. :P

14. Bodyguard (Part 1 of 2)

BELLA SWAN

"Thanks, Bella. Really, you have no idea how grateful I am that you could help," Angela said as I made my way out her bedroom door, passing Ben as he came through.

"Wow!" Ben exclaimed, looking at our work, "You girls did do a nice job. Too bad there's nothing left for me to do, I would've…" He let the thought trail off and started up again. "Ang, I can't believe you missed this one. It was awesome! There was this one part where this guy had a…well, I guess you'll just have to see it to know what I mean."

Angela sighed and rolled her eyes at me, which I chuckled at.

"Well, I'll see you two at school," I said, waving goodbye.

"Right, see you," she replied.

Ben looked at my leaving after Angela made it clear. "Oh. Later, Bella."

I made my way out the front door and to my truck pretty sluggishly. I didn't know helping prepare graduation announcements could be so tiring. Angela wasn't exaggerating about just how many announcements she had to address. It was no wonder she put it off for so long. Ben was lucky, since he had plans to go see this karate flick with Austin, he was gone for the time it took us to finish the announcements. Though Angela definitely wasn't thrilled to be working on the announcements, it seemed like she preferred that to the movie.

Even with my slow truck, it didn't take too long to get home from Angela's house. Once I made it into the driveway though, I couldn't seem to get out. I was tired, but not so much that I couldn't perform the simple task of opening the door. I knew that once I got out, I'd go to my room, quickly fall asleep, and be with Jacob all day the next day. Was that why I couldn't get out? Was I afraid of that? Since when have I been afraid to be with Jacob? But after today, after being told that Edward would stop avoiding me, I was at least nervous of Jacob finding that out. He would find out eventually, there was no point in hiding it from him, but how would he respond once he knew? This was probably the main thing he didn't want to happen and now it was happening. If he thought that I might go back to Edward because of this, he was wrong; there was no reason for him to worry about that or be jealous. Maybe if I just made that clear, that I was his forever, then maybe he wouldn't get so angry; though he should've already known that. But even so, did it have to be tomorrow? Did it have to be so soon? I could try and avoid the topic until I was ready to tell him, but when would that be? Next week when it's too late and Jacob catches me walking out of school with him?

Just then, I heard three taps on the door's window as I jumped in surprise and looked to see who it was. Charlie was standing by the door and looking in with slight worry on his face. He made a circular motion with his hand, prompting me to roll down the window. I nodded and he began speaking when it was about half way down.

"Bella, you okay, honey?" Charlie asked with concern.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine."

He could tell I wasn't being truthful. "Are you sure? There isn't anything I should know? No reason why you're just sitting out here?"

"I'm just tired, that's all. I was helping Angela out with some graduation announcements and there were a lot of them."

His eyes widened. "Oh really? Well, that's great. I'm glad that you're finding time to hang out with your other high school friends."

"Yeah, it was nice. Tiring though; I'm not sure if I'll be able to write again."

"If you're tired, then you should probably hit the hay a little early. But could you let me out first?" He pointed at his car right in front of me.

"Are you going somewhere?"

"Yeah, I'm going to help out Sue for a little while with cleaning and stuff like that. Her kids are busy tonight, so I went ahead and volunteered. She does get lonely sometimes, so it's not just for the help, but the company."

"Good for you, dad. Hang on."

I put my truck in reverse and backed out of the driveway as Charlie followed in his car. He waved at me once he got onto the road and headed in the direction of La Push. Once he was gone, I went back into the driveway and found the courage to actually get out. I headed inside and upstairs to my room. As I put my school bag away, I felt my bed calling to me. I was definitely tired, but I just couldn't bring myself to sleep just yet. Instead, I went downstairs and prepared something for me to eat. It wasn't going to be anything big, but I ended up making lasagna anyway, which took about an hour to make. After I ate, I went upstairs to take a shower. Part of me hoped that a shower would keep me awake, delaying the next day, but that failed as I was still tired after I got out. I dried myself off and put on my usual sleepwear once I got into my room. My body wanted desperately to sleep, but my brain was yelling at it not to. As another means to delay the sleep, I got onto my old computer and tried checking my email.

As slow as my computer was, I could've fallen asleep right there waiting for it to start up. Once it finally did though, I heard a sharp tap on my window that made me jump from my seat in panic. I looked and saw a pebble hit against the window, making the same noise. I stood there stunned. It couldn't be, not now, not already.

"Bella!" the voice of Jacob called from outside, "Bella, open up!"

I cringed as I walked toward the window to open it. I looked down and saw him smiling at me, which I tried to return, though not too well. I stood back so that he'd have room to climb up, but I couldn't keep the stiff expression from my face. Why was it that the one time I wasn't in a hurry to see Jacob, he had to surprise me? I stood by my bed and prepared myself as he climbed into my bedroom.

"Hey, Bella," he greeted with a smile.

"Hey," I replied nervously.

He raised a brow. "You okay? Did I scare you or something?"

"I…I didn't expect to see you."

"Sorry. Today was a really boring day. I just had to see you; I didn't think you'd mind me coming unannounced."

"I don't mind." Though that was half a lie.

I started twiddling my thumbs as I tried to just spit out what I needed to tell him. 'Just get it over with,' I told myself, there was no point in delaying. I took a deep breath as I looked up at him, but held it in and froze in place upon seeing his suddenly angered expression as he sniffed the air. He made his way closer to me and sniffed a few times in my direction.

"Bella…you smell like…" he began to say, sniffing some more.

I let out my breath uneasily. "I know, I smell like a vampire."

"No. Not just a vampire, you smell like him. Edward. Why is that?"

My breathing became unsteady. "When I visited today…he was there."

"Please tell me it's a onetime only thing," he said through his now clenched teeth.

My face fell to the floor, but he quickly lifted my chin so that I'd look at him; his eyes piercing and demanding an answer. I slowly shook my head and immediately he let go of my chin to slam his fist onto the bed.

*Edited by moderator for vulgarity*

He stomped over to the window, but stopped in place as he held his forehead with one hand while his other shook with anger. Usually, I would walk over and wrap my arms around him to calm him down, but I wasn't sure if that was the best idea in this situation. I was having another debate with myself as my body wanted so desperately to hold him, while my brain said no. I began inching toward him slowly, still unsure, but it didn't matter because Jacob's shaking was already starting to calm. He was still clearly angry, but definitely not in a dangerous way. He lowered his one hand and looked at me with a scowl still on his face.

"When's the next time you visit them? Tuesday, right?" he asked in a low voice.

I nodded my head slowly.

"And let me guess, he'll be around at your school too?"

"Y-yes," I finally spoke.

"And you want him around, don't you?"

I lost my voice again, too afraid to answer, but my silence itself seemed to be the answer as he nodded his head and looked away.

"Right. That's all I need to know."

The atmosphere was tense and we both stood there in awkward silence. I couldn't stop staring at his face as the hard defensive mask he wore would fade, revealing how sad this news made him. This was my chance to tell him that he didn't need to be sad or angry. This was my chance to tell him that I was all his; his and no one else's. But as much as I wanted to tell him, I just couldn't find my voice.

Suddenly, Jacob's eyes darted toward me with that hard defensive mask on his face. Before I could react, he was right in front of me as he grabbed my waist too tightly and yanked me forward so that my body pressed against his. His other hand caught the back of my head and he crushed his lips against mine with an eagerness that was almost violent. I could feel his lips move angrily against mine, demanding a response. As I felt his anger, I could also feel the hurt held deeply underneath. He caught me totally off guard and I wasn't used to any kiss like this. I didn't like the anger or hurt, but this was still Jacob, still myJacob, and it didn't take long for my lips to get used to his angry movements as I synchronized my lips with his. Immediately, I could feel Jacob calm down as he held me to him more gently and kissed me with the same passion and love as he always did. This quickly turned into a kiss that I could get lost in, where time didn't matter, all that mattered was Jacob. I was always good at calming Jake down and it was good to know I could do the same in this way. I didn't need to tell him that I was his forever, this kiss was enough of an answer, and I could tell he knew that.

We kissed for an unknowing amount of time, until Jake finally parted his lips from mine with a sigh.

"I should go," he whispered calmly.

I looked up at him sadly and he looked back in apology. It was funny how not long ago I was afraid of him being here, but now I didn't want him to leave. He gave me one long hug and I hugged him back, letting my face rest on his chest that was bare as usual.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" he asked.

"Of course," I assured him.

He finally smiled again and kissed my forehead lightly before letting me go. He was out the window in seconds and I watched him run deep into the trees until he was completely out of sight. As soon as he was gone, I remembered just how tired I was. I wasn't up for checking my email anymore, so I just turned off the computer. I got into bed quickly and turned off my light; it didn't take long at all for me to fall asleep. That night I dreamt of Jacob like I usually did, but it was different than usual. He was standing on a hill and looking off into the distance with an angry expression. He was breathing heavily, his teeth were clenched, and every muscle in his body flexed. Part of me wanted to hold him and calm him down like always, but another part, the part that kept me stationed here, wanted to just stare at this angry Jacob. It was embarrassing for me to admit, shameful even, but sometimes Jacob really was sexy when mad. Still, I preferred my personal sun any day, as the better part of me made its way over to make Jake happy again.

The weekend went as it usually did, which actually surprised me. We hung out with Quil and Embry, the pack went to visit the Clearwaters, and Jake and I had time to ourselves. All the while, Jake was his pleasant, sunny self. He rarely frowned and never mentioned anything about the Cullens or Edward. I didn't want to ask and ruin his mood, but why was that? All he said about the situation was when I first told him. Was me visiting him on Tuesday and Edward being around at school all he needed to know? That was the other thing that surprised me. Monday at school, Edward kept to his word. I saw him in the halls and he sat with the rest of us at lunch. My other friends were definitely shocked at his addition, especially Mike, but it was easy for me to ignore. When school was over, Edward and Alice left me alone when I went outside to Jacob. Jake could definitely smell Edward on me, but he didn't lose it or get angry. He was a bit tense at the smell, but all it took was a kiss to make him completely calm. Was Jacob okay with this? Was he okay with Edward? He never said that he was, but his attitude toward the whole thing left me confused.

14. Bodyguard (Part 2 of 2)

BELLA SWAN

It was Tuesday now and the bell to dismiss last period was about to ring. I was always eager for the bell to ring, but today was a 'vampire day' and this time with Edward. We didn't get to see each other that often during school, only at lunchtime, so I was really looking forward to spending time with him and catching up. When it finally rang, I went to my locker and put away all my unneeded materials.

"Ready?" Edward's voice suddenly asked from behind me, causing me to jump, "Oh, sorry."

I turned to look at him and smiled. "It's okay, and yeah, I'm ready."

He closed my locker for me and smiled as we walked down the hall. Alice wasn't too far away when she joined our short walk. We got caught up in the crowd of people leaving out the main entrance, but when we were close enough to see the door, Edward stiffened up.

"What's wrong?" I asked, concerned.

He shook his head. "Nothing. I'll just meet you guys at the house."

"You're not coming with us?"

Alice then stiffened for a second and pouted. "Oh, I see."

"See what?"

She sighed. "I'll stay with you, Bella."

Without a word, Edward swiftly went the other direction through the crowd.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"You'll see when we get outside," Alice said.

I hated when I was left in the dark. Why couldn't they just tell me? I was getting more and more nervous the closer we got to the door. When we did make it outside, I immediately saw what Edward and Alice were talking about. Jacob was standing right by Alice's Porsche with a clear scowl on his face. His arms were crossed and he was wearing only a pair of cut-off jeans. Like the last time Jake came to school shirtless, the other girls around couldn't keep their eyes off him. He glared in our direction as we made our way to him. Alice moved even slower than I did, which was weird considering she was much faster than me, though I was eager to see Jacob for whatever he wanted.

"Jake?" I said, surprised.

He nodded once. "Hi, Bella."

"What are you doing here today?"

"I was about to ask the same thing," Alice came in annoyed.

He glared at Alice and back to me. "You're going to visit them today, right?"

I nodded. "Yes."

"Then I'm coming too."

My mouth fell open in surprise and Alice echoed my reaction.

"You're coming with us?" I asked.

"Yep."

"But what about your patrols?"

"I worked it out with Sam."

Alice frowned fiercely. "Who said you were invited?"

Jacob glared back. "No one told me I needed an invitation."

"Alice, it's okay," I reasoned.

She groaned. "Come on, Bella."

"Please."

She shook her head in disagreement, but it didn't look like she was going to stop anything. This was so strange and sudden. Why was Jacob suddenly willing to come with me and meet the Cullens? Was his calm attitude this weekend a sign of it?

"Jake, why do you want to come all of a sudden? Not that I'm not happy; just confused. Do you want to patch things up with Edward or something?" I asked him. This was happening right after the Edward news.

"Don't be ridiculous!" he growled through his teeth.

I flinched. "Then…why?"

"I've lost all trust in these leeches." I glared at him for his word choice, which he just rolled his eyes at. "And I'm not just going to let you go with things I don't trust. So I'm coming with you to make sure they don't do anything I'd kill them over."

I just looked at him in disappointment, which didn't seem to faze him much. "This is about Edward, isn't it?"

"Could be."

"Jacob, you should know better than that."

"That I don't trust him? He's already proven that I shouldn't."

"Edward's not going to do anything to me. He won't hurt me either."

He shrugged. "I'm still coming. Think of me as your bodyguard."

"I don't need a bodyguard."

"You didn't seem to complain the first time."

I stopped what I was about to say as I remembered Jacob coming with me and Alice the day we first kissed. I hadn't really thought about it, but Jacob was being my bodyguard in a way. Back then, I wanted him to come. In the end, it turned out okay; would this time be the same.

Alice quickly stepped in front of me, glaring at Jake. "You heard her. She doesn't need a bodyguard."

He looked at me with one brow raised. "So, you want me to leave?"

"No," I said quickly.

He smirked, like he expected my answer, while Alice looked at me a little betrayed.

"I just don't want you coming for that reason."

"Well, that's all I've got. It's better than not letting you go at all, right?"

I looked at him clearly unhappy, but I conceded. As much I didn't like him coming as a protector, I hated him leaving even more. Alice saw this on my face and groaned loudly.

"So, you're seriously coming?" Alice asked annoyed.

"Yep," Jacob answered, the look on his face making it clear that his mind was made up.

Alice scowled and got into the driver's seat of her Porsche, closing the door angrily. I slowly got into the backseat, nervous to make any eye contact, and waited for Jake to join me. He was still standing in the same spot.

"Well, get in," Alice instructed, her tone irritated.

He looked at her disgusted. "No way. I've gotten in a car with a vampire once and I'm not doing it again. I'll meet you guys there."

Alice accepted that and quickly started the car. I looked at him confused.

"If you can't handle being in a car with one, then how will you survive a house full of them?" I asked.

He cringed at that. "I never said I was coming inside."

"You're not?"

"No. I don't need to be in that crypt to keep an eye on you. Let's hope there won't be a reason for me to come inside."

"Oh, come on, Jake." This was getting more and more disappointing.

He shook his head, his mind made up. "Sorry."

And with that, Alice all too eagerly pulled out of the school lot and onto the road. I kept my eyes on Jake until he was out of sight as we drove directly to the Cullen house. The whole way there was silent; Alice focusing on getting there and me too concerned about Jake to say anything.

Once we made it to the house, I saw Jacob emerge from the trees in his wolf form simultaneously with us pulling in the driveway. We both got out of the car and Alice grabbed my hand, pulling me to the front door. I stared at Jacob, pleading for him to turn human and come inside, but he stood there shaking his head, unmoved.

"Just ignore him, okay?" Alice said, as we went inside.

That was easier said than done. Impossible, actually. Jacob could hear and smell all, not to mention see what he could through the windows. Even if he wasn't coming inside, he was definitely here.

We walked into the living room where Emmett sat on the couch, looking at us confused. Alice sighed and pointed her head toward me.

"Aw, Bella. You brought your doggy with you?" Emmett asked, scrunching his nose.

"Not exactly, he brought himself," I said, looking out the window to the far left, though I couldn't see him.

"You gotta train them to 'stay', Bella."

"Yeah, if she wanted him to," Alice added.

Suddenly, I felt a cold hand touch my shoulder. I looked to see Edward standing right next to me, and the look on his face was not happy at all. He was staring outside the window in the general direction of where Jacob was, though he still couldn't be seen. I was starting to think that this might be really dangerous. I felt like I could trust both guys to control themselves, but what if I was just too optimistic about that? Alice was right that I was the only person who could tell Jacob to go away, but I didn't want to. I didn't like him being a bodyguard, I didn't like him being outside, and I didn't like all the tension. But still, I couldn't tell him to go away.

Edward noticed my uneasiness about the whole thing and began rubbing my shoulder in comfort. It didn't last long though, as a low growl came from outside the moment Edward started. He continued to glare out the window as he slowly removed his hand from me. He then turned towards me, trying to erase all discomfort from his face and ignore Jacob.

"Bella, are you hungry?" he asked.

"Just a little," I admitted.

"Do you want to help me out in the kitchen?"

I turned my head to its side. "You cook?"

"I just recently gave it a shot. I'm still learning though."

"Why would you need to cook?"

He chuckled. "For you, of course. And I can never tell if I did a good job because I don't have a taste tester. I thought you might fit the role perfectly."

Another low growl came from outside and Edward glared back in irritation.

"Shut up," he groaned softly.

I tried to get back on subject. "Sure, I'd love to."

He looked back at me and half smiled. "Alright, let's go."

He led me into their large decorated kitchen just around the corner, and I could already smell the ingredients to what he was cooking as they were laid out evenly and organized on the counter. Some chicken breasts, garlic cloves, broccoli, green beans, carrots, mushrooms, Chinese cabbage, sesame oil, and teriyaki sauce.

"So, what are we making?" I asked, looking at the materials we had.

"Chicken stir-fry," he said, grabbing a medium sized wok from the cabinets.

"That sounds good. How can I help?"

"You're my taste tester, remember? Sometimes I think that I've cooked something properly, but I can't be sure unless it tastes done."

"Okay, will do. Anything else?"

"No, that's it. I'm trying to do as much of this on my own."

I nodded in understanding. "I see. Where'd you learn how to make stir-fry, or are you just experimenting?"

"If I was experimenting, then the finished product would be something truly dreaded." He chuckled and shook his head. "I learned from the Food Network."

"You remember what to do?"

"Of course. I do have a great memory."

I made a slightly embarrassed face for forgetting that. "Oh, right."

He chuckled and looked at what he was working with on the counter. He nodded once toward the ingredients, as if to tell them he's ready, and immediately began working. He did everything at lightning speed; he minced the garlic cloves so fast that his hands were a blur, in seconds the mushrooms were sliced into small even pieces, I looked away for a moment and went back to see the carrots already peeled and julienned, the green beans diced, and cabbage chopped perfectly even. The only times Edward didn't go insanely fast were when he was forced to wait as the food cooked. He cooked the chicken breasts in sesame oil and garlic very carefully. Occasionally, he'd grimace a bit from the scent of chicken becoming stronger as it cooked. I knew this wasn't appealing to him, but it smelled great to me. Once he thought they were done, he placed them on a plate to the side and cut them into strips.

"Okay, Bella, tell me if you think the chicken was cooked right," he instructed.

As he increased the heat on the stove and put the wok on, I took a small piece of a strip and ate it.

"It tastes great, Edward," I assured him, smiling.

He smiled back and began to cook the vegetables. He cooked and stirred it all in, adding just the right amount of teriyaki sauce. Once the vegetables were soft, he added the chicken in and continued stirring, still grimacing from the smell. After a few more minutes, he turned the heat off and grabbed a plate and fork from the cabinet. He took a large serving spoon, scooped up enough for the spoon to handle, and put it on the plate.

"Here you go, try it," he said, handing me the hot plate.

I sat it down on the counter and blew on it a little before eating. Edward watched attentively as I took my first bite. I chewed cautiously, trying not to burn my mouth, and swallowed as my eyes lit up.

"Edward, this is delicious," I exclaimed, extremely impressed.

"Really?" he asked, a bit skeptical.

"Yes, really. This is amazing."

He smiled. "Thank you. It's good to know that I can do that right; you don't have to cook all the time."

"You'd make a mom proud," suddenly came the voice of Esme as she walked into the kitchen, smiling.

"Hi, Esme," I greeted.

"Hello, Bella." She then looked at Edward and patted his shoulder like a mother proud of his son.

"We also have rice to go with it. I could prepare that if you want," Edward suggested.

"Sounds great," I said, nodding and eating some more, "Do you think Jacob might want some?"

His face hardened once I mentioned Jake. His eyes looked far off, like he was taking in something.

"No. He doesn't want anything made by me."

I frowned, though I should've figured. It was so Jacob. Esme didn't seem to be as bothered by Jacob being here than the others. I always knew Esme was exceptionally kind, but I wasn't sure how far that kindness went. I'd think it would bother her that Edward had to deal with Jacob's presence, considering we were lovers, yet she still had a smile on her face.

"Hey Edward, Bella, come in here," Emmett called out. I looked at Edward, wondering what they might want.

He chuckled. "Go ahead. I'm going to get the rice started, it shouldn't take long."

"Okay," I agreed and went into the living room where everyone was as Esme stayed to help Edward with anything.

I walked in and saw Alice setting up three chessboards, each with their own individual table. Jasper and Rosalie were also sitting on the couch with Emmett. I greeted them both and Jasper greeted back, while Rosalie just looked at me, acknowledging my presence. They both looked kind of irritated, most likely because of Jacob being outside.

"Did it turn out okay, Bella?" Emmett asked, pointing at the plate of stir-fry I was still holding.

I nodded enthusiastically. "Yeah, it's really delicious."

"So Edward can cook?" He laughed. "I'll take your word for it then."

"It's too bad you can't tell for yourself. It's really good," I teased.

"That's new," Edward called from the kitchen.

I groaned, though he was right. I'd never teased a vampire about any sort of shortcomings they had before. It had to have been from hanging with werewolves all the time.

Emmett laughed and his tone returned the teasing. "Yep, yep. The only thing in this house I could tell is really good would be you."

Immediately, a loud and vicious bark fierce as thunder came from outside, causing everyone to tense up. I gasped as everyone clenched their teeth and glared out the window toward Jacob's direction. Emmett on the other hand just grimaced.

"Oh jeez, my bad," he whispered.

Jacob seemed to calm down a bit as his growls gradually got quieter to the point where I couldn't hear it. Once everything seemed under control, Alice continued to set things up, ending with the chess pieces.

"What's going on?" I asked.

Alice smiled. "We're having a little tournament."

"Tournament?"

"Yeah, we were hoping you could join."

I grimaced. "I guess, but I haven't played chess in a while."

Emmett grinned. "Cool. That earns someone a spot up."

Jasper jabbed Emmett in the shoulder and looked at me. "I'm sure you'll do fine, Bella."

"But we all know who's gonna win. Either Edward or Alice." Emmett gave Alice a dirty look. "Cheaters."

She shrugged. "If you want, we could have mine and Edward's match separate. With all six of us in three matches, it is kind of uneven."

"I'm fine with that," Rosalie agreed.

"Awesome! Now maybe I can win," Emmett cheered.

We flipped a coin to decide match ups. In the end, Emmett was matched with Rosalie first while I got Jasper. Edward came in right before we got started with another plate of stir-fry, this time with rice. He handed the plate to me and took my other one as I eagerly ate. After eating, we finally began. Both matches were going on at the same time as Edward and Alice decided to watch. Alice would watch everyone's moves and laugh because she said she already knew who would win. I was the only one she couldn't predict, but judging by my performance, it was a no brainer who would win; Jasper was destroying me from the start. Alice's hovering made Emmett really nervous and he'd keep delaying and over think each move; though I was doing the same thing, even if I was losing with little chance of a came back. This was taking a lot longer than I thought.

Edward sighed. "Emmett, just do something."

"Don't rush me," Emmett complained and reached for his knight.

"Mm-hmm," Alice murmured and nodded to herself.

He looked at Alice suspiciously. "I don't know if that means I'm doing good or if I'm just going by what you saw."

Rosalie groaned. "Just move your knight."

Emmett's eyes narrowed. "Hmmm…I'm not sure anymore."

Edward and Rosalie groaned in annoyance, but Alice just giggled to herself. Ten more minutes passed without either one of us making a move. I was about to finally move my piece when I saw Jasper staring at the TV. I looked around and saw everyone else looking too. On the screen was the same female reporter I saw the first time I visited the Cullens since they came back, and she was reporting on the same thing too.

"Seattle is in a state of terror, as the murders and disappearances that began almost a month ago aren't letting up. In fact, they appear to be slowly growing. Police are hard at work trying to find out what's behind the killings, but no clear evidence has ever been found to help the cause," she announced.

"Sooo…" Emmett muttered, looking at his siblings for a response.

"We might have to step in at this rate. I don't like the way things are going," Jasper said, which Emmett nodded at approvingly.

"What about the Volturi?" Rosalie asked, "If things really do get too serious, they'll take care of it. It doesn't have to be us."

Once again, Jacob growled from outside. Edward narrowed his eyes as they shifted in Jake's general direction.

"That's easier said than done," Edward called out to him.

"What'd he say?" I asked.

Edward remained silent, listening to Jake's low growls.

"In case you forgot, we're protecting someone here too…Then how come she hasn't been caught yet…You don't know that, besides, we're trying not to take any unnecessary actions that could reveal ourselves, I'm sure you could relate to that…Seattle isn't the woods, it's a city," Edward continued to answer Jake's unheard questions.

"What's he saying?" I asked again.

"Just criticism on why we haven't taken care of it yet."

"Oh. Well, I don't want you to rush, or go at all actually. It's dangerous, right?"

Emmett laughed. "Oh come on, it'd be a cinch. Especially if we're dealing with newborns and we've got Jasper with us."

I looked at Jasper confused. "You mentioned something about being able to handle newborns before when this came up. How come?"

Jasper thought to himself for a minute before answering. "I suppose I can tell you. It's a bit of a long story, but…" He looked over at Emmett, still hesitating to move his piece, "I think they're going to be a while. We have time."

Jasper then told me his story about how he became a vampire. He told me about how he used to be a major in the Confederate Army until a vampire named Maria changed him, how she used him and newborns to reclaim her land and concur others, how she put Jasper in charge of all the newborns, and how Jasper had to kill off many of them that weren't useful. He told about Peter and Charlotte, how he left with them for a while until becoming a nomad and finally meeting Alice. I saw Alice smile at Jasper when that part was brought up and how she led them to their new family. It was an incredible story. I hadn't really paid that much attention to Jasper before, but now I had a lot of respect for him.

"It must've been really hard," I said.

"It was, but I've grown a lot since then. Well…in any way a vampire can grow at least," he chuckled, "By the way, checkmate."

I looked down at the board to see that my king was clearly captured. He smirked at me but I just shrugged; I knew I was going to lose. We watched Emmett and Rosalie's game until it was finally over. Took them long enough.

"Dammit!" Emmett complained, palming his forehead.

"Sorry, Em, but this just isn't your game," Rosalie said, smug.

"Is so. I just kept messing up because somebody likes to be annoying."

Alice giggled and nodded to herself, probably proud that everything went as she saw. It was finally Jasper and Rosalie's turn to have a match and it went a lot faster than ours. It was pretty close, but Jasper came out on top. Alice gave him a congratulatory hug and kiss while Emmett hugged Rosalie in comfort, though she was still a bit annoyed by her loss.

"Our turn, Edward," Alice announced.

"Right," Edward said, setting their game up.

"Hold on, let's make this one a bit more interesting," Emmett suggested with a grin.

"How?"

He thought for a second. "How about this? There'll be a penalty for whoever loses."

"What kind of penalty?" Alice asked.

Emmett grinned again at his idea as Edward's face hardened.

"That's not a good idea," Edward immediately said.

Alice looked at them both suspiciously. "What's he thinking?"

Emmett sighed. "Come on. Just for ten, no, five minutes."

"Emmett."

"Well, I was thinking this. Whoever loses has to sit outside for five minutes with smelly."

My mouth popped open at Emmett's suggestion and everyone else looked equally surprised. Of course, Jacob growled disapprovingly from outside.

"Outside with the mutt? I'd hate to be you guys," Rosalie commented. I quickly glared at her for her word of choice, but it didn't bother her.

"Not a good idea," Edward repeated, making it clear.

Alice sighed and looked out the window. "Oh, come on guys. It's only Jacob. Right, Bella?"

I looked at her a bit confused, but quickly nodded. "Right. There's nothing wrong with him, it shouldn't even be a penalty." I raised my voice. "He won't do anything just like I know neither of you won't."

Jacob was silent outside as he got the message. I said it to defend Jacob, though I was still honestly afraid of the tension they could create. Even if they didn't hurt each other, I'd still be nervously waiting for it to be over.

Jasper glared at Emmett. "If Alice loses this, I hate you, Emmett."

Emmett smirked. "Love ya too, bro."

Edward sat down by the chessboard, looking unconcerned and not even glancing outside like Alice was. Alice sat opposite to Edward and they both began staring intensely at the chessboard and its pieces. A few minutes passed without them making a move. Their eyes would often waver from board to each other, Alice looking like she was concentrating hard, while Edward still looked unconcerned. Suddenly, Alice's eyes widened as she looked at Edward baffled. Edward smirked at her and she gave him a dirty look as she got up and flicked her king hard onto the board.

"Thanks, Emmett, you made the match really short," Alice groaned, as she headed toward the front door.

In a flash, Jasper darted in front of her with worry plastered on his face.

"Relax, Jazz. I'll be fine." She smiled, almost as if she was looking forward to this.

Jasper reluctantly let her through as she went outside. Jasper came back into the living room and sat down on the couch. He wouldn't stop glaring at Emmett for a second, but he also looked like he was trying to hear what was going on outside.

"Well, that was fun. I'm going to my room now," Rosalie announced, clearly bored, as she practically flew upstairs.

"Wait up, me too," Emmett eagerly said, probably trying to avoid Jasper's death stares. He was gone in an instant.

Three long and nerve wracking minutes passed in silence and the tension was just as I expected.

"Oh no," Edward suddenly groaned.

"What?" I gasped.

"Alice is asking Jacob yes or no questions."

"Is that bad? Is Jake losing it or something?"

"Actually, no. He's okay, annoyed, but okay."

"Of course he is." I paused for a second. "What's she asking?"

He looked off, like he was taking it all in, before he answered. "Are you bored? Do you hate it here? Do you love Bella? Do you like my car? Do you like Edward's car? Am I really so annoying? Do you wish I'd go away? Is there a werewolf equivalent to Emmett? Jacob laughed at that one. And, do you think Edward is a pain in the ass? He laughed at that one too." He rolled his eyes and sighed. "Thanks, Alice."

I giggled and nudged him in the shoulder. "Don't worry. Sometimes Jake's a bigger pain in the ass than you."

"That's nice to know." He paused. "Wait, sometimes?"

I started laughing and Edward just shook his head in mock defeat. I looked over to where Jasper was sitting and he was gone. He now stood at the door as Alice walked in with a proud smile. Two minutes had passed a lot quicker this time.

"It's getting kind of late," Edward noted, pointing at the darkness outside, "And Jacob's really eager to leave now."

"Oh. Yeah, I should probably go."

He nodded to himself and slowly led me to the front door where Alice and Jasper still stood. Jasper nodded a goodbye to me and Alice gave me a quick hug.

"I think today was fun. Even with him breathing down our backs," Alice said.

"Yeah, it was," I agreed.

"Do you need Alice to take you home?" Edward asked.

"Um…I don't need to."

"Then how will you get there?"

I looked at him like he should know the answer. "With Jake, of course."

"Jacob brought transportation with him?"

"Something like that."

I walked out the door as Edward watched and there stood my giant furry wolf, smiling. I couldn't stand being an inch away from Jake any longer as I ran up to him and wrapped my arms around his neck, squeezing tight and petting enthusiastically at his neck until his fur became more ruffled than it already was. He rubbed his head against mine lovingly and I pulled back to kiss his snout lightly. Jake lowered himself to the ground and I quickly got on, holding onto him as he rose up.

"Bella, what are you doing," Edward shouted.

My eyes darted toward him in surprise as he stared at me shocked, with his arms slightly out like he was ready to catch me or something.

"Don't tell me this is how you're getting home."

I raised a brow at him. "Of course it is."

"Bella, that's dangerous. You know it is."

Jake and I both looked at each other and began to laugh at the same time. I planted my face into his fur to muffle my laughter until it was somewhat under control.

"Oh please, Edward," I said, lifting my head up and still snickering. He looked at me very unamused and I grimaced. "I'll be fine, I promise. He won't let anything happen to me."

He cringed slightly as Jacob turned in the direction of home and tilted back to dash.

"I'll see you tomo-" was all I got to say before he jetted forward and I instinctively held on tighter. He ran deep through the trees the entire way there and it was really hard for me to see anything. I just closed my eyes and rested my head on his fur until we made it to my house.

Once I felt Jake slow to a stop, I knew we had made it. I looked up and saw the lights from my house not far away through the trees. Jacob let me off and quickly dashed behind a thick tree. He emerged on two feet with cut-off jeans on and a smile on his face. I crossed my arms and glared, remembering that I was supposed to be mad at him. His smile weakened to one of guilt.

"I know, I know. I'm sorry," he said.

"You're sorry?" I asked.

"Yeah, I am."

I frowned. "You're just saying that because you know I'm upset."

"No, really, I am sorry."

"So does that mean you've realized the Cullens are nice people that won't hurt me?"

"No."

"Ugh!" I turned away from him.

"But, listen." He sighed. "I promised to protect you no matter what. But, I also realize that I'm not your father and I don't want to be. As much as I don't want anything to happen to you, I also know that I can't hold your hand all the time. You're a big girl."

"Yes, I am."

"And even though I don't trust the Cullens, especially him, I do know that you trust them. Trust is a really important thing in a relationship, and I trust you, Bella. I trust you to keep yourself safe and I also trust you to not put up with any crap he might pull."

"He won't."

"Whatever you say. But that being said, this'll be my last time doing this. I do not want to go near there again and, honestly, I wasn't sure I could keep this up anyway. Sam barely let me go this time."

I turned back around to narrow my eyes at him. "So is that the real reason why you're quitting?"

"Part of it, but I still meant what I said."

I looked to the ground a bit saddened. "Well…actually, I kind of liked having you nearby when I was over there."

He smiled. "I kind of figured you would. But still, you're a big girl."

"I don't know. What if I wanted to have my hand held?"

He tilted his head to the side. "You want me to be your bodyguard?"

"No. But…it's just never fun being apart."

He nodded. "Yeah, I know what you mean, but I do need to do my fair share of patrolling. Plus, you visit the Cullens on days when I'm too busy to be around you. Well, if I'm around you anyway, then what would be the point of you going there?"

"Because I just like them, maybe?" I smirked.

He groaned. "By the way, that Jasper guy really worries me."

"Jasper? Why?"

"You heard his story, Bella. He can be vicious. He's killed a bunch of humans and vampires with ease. What really worries me is the fact that he's newest to the whole animal blood thing. With a history like his, he's the one most likely to lose it, right? What if you're near him when that happens?"

I immediately turned away again so that he couldn't see me cringe at that, knowing that it has happened before.

"He's like Paul, only deadly," he muttered.

I turned back around. "Yeah, Paul. He's lost control before, but we're always around him."

"Hmph. Maybe that's not such a great idea either."

"Jake."

He sighed. "Anyway, I'm sorry. So, do you forgive me? Do you still love me?"

I slapped his arm, hurting my fingers. "Of course I still love you. Don't even ask."

He looked at me a bit surprised at my reaction, but quickly smiled. "I love you, too."

I finally smiled back and once again I couldn't resist being apart from him. I wrapped my arms around his neck again, not so furry this time, and stretched myself up to reach his lips. He helped me out by leaning in, closing the distance, and kissed me passionately as I got lost in him and his embrace.

"That's another thing," he said, parting his lips from mine, "After you get back from a night with the vampires, I'll be expecting some extra lovin' to make up for lost time."

I giggled. "I can do that. No problem."

"Which brings me to ask you this question." He said it rather formally.

He took his arms from around me and stepped back as he cleared his throat, trying to maintain his formal voice.

"Bella Swan, would you like to go on a date with me tomorrow?"

I stared up at him a little confused. "A date?"

Author's Note: Man, writing two chapters mostly consisting of vampires is tough. These kind of chapters usually take longer. But next chapter should make up for it, because it's all Jacob/Bella. And it's coming either before the end of the month or right after August 1st, in other words, very soon. :)

I love these big chapters.

Love it! Especially when Jacob got all mad. Dirty mouth.XD

And Jacob + the Cullens= EPIC! Good that Jacob realized he was wrong, the thought of him going with Bella to the Cullens all the time would probably be dangerous.(and somewhat entertaining.:P)

I can't wait to read about their date! Wonder where he's gonna take her. Keep writing!

Awesome, I'm glad you like big chapters because they often get bigger than I planned. Yeah, I just had to have Jake curse at that moment (you can't see it anymore). Jacob and the Cullens together IS epic, but at the moment, sitting outside and listening is as far as he'll go. We don't want Jacob turning into an Edward, so of course Jacob eases up. ;)
It was a great chapter - you did a great job being in the vampires' heads!!  Still,  I'm looking forward to more Bella & Jacob -- esp with the promise of " a little more lovin' "!   P S - did you do both part 1 & 2 at once? I only got one notice you'd updated, then it was hard to find , then it was in 2 parts. Don't know why I have trouble logging straight in to your story ~ ~ 

It was all one big chapter. but it was too big to fit in one post, so I split it in two.

Really glad you liked the chapter! :)

I actually just took a guess that girls thought Jake was attractive when mad...I was right. :) I definitely wouldn't want to eat food cooked by a vampire either, doesn't matter how many times they washed their hands. :/ I'm glad you liked Alice and Jacob. It was a small thing, but I liked it too. :)
Woooww, this was an amazing chapter!!!

It was embarrassing for me to admit, shameful even, but sometimes Jacob really was sexy when mad.
^This my friend, is the most amazing thing I've ever read.

"Well, I was thinking this. Whoever loses has to sit outside for five minutes with smelly."
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

"Are you bored? Do you hate it here? Do you love Bella? Do you like my car? Do you like Edward's car? Am I really so annoying? Do you wish I'd go away? Is there a werewolf equivalent to Emmett? Jacob laughed at that one. And, do you think Edward is a pain in the ass? He laughed at that one too." He rolled his eyes and sighed. "Thanks, Alice."
LMAO!

Ohh, boy, can't waaaaaaaait for the next chapter, and I love tha date-idea, it's so cute(l)(l)!

*Edited by moderator for vulgarity*

Glad you liked it! :D 

The most amazing thing you've ever read? Nice. It's kind of hard writing a chapter that has vampires most of the time, but I thank Emmett and Alice for providing the entertainment. :) 

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service