The Twilight Saga

Have something you want to say to Stephenie? Post it here!

Views: 942

Replies to This Discussion

I think you are an amazing writer. I have never been so sucked into a world that seems so real to me. I actually felt like the characters were part of my family. I miss them. I've read the series over again a couple of times. Truthfully I've never reread a book ever in my life. But I can't help not wanting to be with these amazing characters. You truly are amazing! To affect older people such as myself like you have with your writings.
Thank you so much for bring great joy to this gals' life when she needed it the most. Your terrific!
I am wondering how Stephenie feels about all the fan fiction? Does she find it flattering, obsessive, offensive, what? Would she be open to actually allowing someone to publish something written in "her universe"? Does she read any of it? How does she feel about how people "mess with" her characters? This topic is very personally interesting to me, as I am a writer myself and I would love to write something about Twilight, but I would never, ever want to trespass. So what about it?
Also, I wish with all my heart she'd finish Midnight Sun, but the pressure must be hard for someone like her. So, I will endure the wait, however long, and fantasize about whenever it's finished...I'd also LOVE to read Edward's perspective in every other book, as I know everyone else would. Hint hint! ;P
We love you, Stephenie. Keep it up!
love it!
i want to say thanks for writing twilight saga i love it and have enjoyed reading them several times. I think that you are talent and have a fantastic imagination that i m envious of! if you ever feel you could finish midnight sun that would be amazing but if its not right for you. Then as fans we understand that too
Much luv
Gem J
Well said, I am in total agreement..Thank You Stephenie for your wonderful and amazing books, they are a treasure.
Hi stephenie,Just wanted to let you know how great your twilight saga books are.your writing is brilliant.i was sucked into a fantasy world.i loved it!carry on with your great writting.you can count on it that i,as well as thousands of other will be reading your work!
Dear Steph, thinking of you.
Doc B

Why are Stephanie Meyer's novels so addictive ? http://tinyurl.com/lhelll

Jane Austen (the creator of the modern romance novel) introduced the general reading public to the addictive nature of romance novels. Her readers literally became addicted to Mr. Darcy and Ms. Bennett.

But Stephanie Meyer's "Twilight Saga" novels are even more addictive than Ms. Austen's were.

The reason Stephanie's novels "seem" addictive, is because "they really are" addictive.

All addictions are caused by a release of endorphins in the human brain, brought on by either a specific activity, or a specific medication.

Good addictions, such as exercising, or reading a Stephanie Meyer novel, also are created by a release of endorphins. And that is what makes them so addictive.

Edward becomes an addiction for Bella, Bella for Edward, and both can become addictions for Stephanie's readers.

Falling in love causes a tremendous release of endorphins. When Ms. Meyer's readers are deprived of their daily endorphin "rush" their minds naturally craves more.

It is common to hear one of her readers say, "I have enjoyed reading a romance novel every week for years. But when I read "Twilight" it literally knocked me off my feet."

Or: "As soon as I finished it, I felt like I had to read it again.

Typical romance novels inform us about love affairs. And this causes a small release of endorphins.

But Meyer's novels can actually causes her reader's subconscious minds to fall in love. And falling in love, and reading about love are two entirely different things.

Rather than causing the typical small endorphin release, that most romance novels produce, Stephanie's can cause a huge release of endorphins.

In Psychology we refer to the mental phenomenon Austen and Meyer's novels produce as, a "reverse transference."

Meyer's works so draws you into her characters' psyches, that your subconscious mind actualy undergoes a transference phenomenon. And as you continue to read, eventually your subconscious mind, interprets Edward, Bella , and Jacobs feelings as your very own.

For example in a regular romance novel readers may feel disappointed if the main characters relationship fails.

But some "New Moon" readers report being so distraught, that they can't stop crying for days at a time. Their subconscious minds aren't reading about Bella and Edward's suffering, their subconscious minds really are suffering.

When a reader comes to the end of a typical romance novel, he or she might feel a ting of sadness. But finishing the "Saga Novel" means saying good by to people you have grown to love. And as Jung (the father of modern psycology) would say "you sense a part of your self dying, as if you were saying good bye to an actual part of yourself."

"Parting really is such sweet sorrow"

Now how did Ms. Meyer accomplish her little piece of literary magic.

It took her several steps.

First she so vividly depicts Edward, Bella and Jacob, that her readers begin to see them as real people.

Then she endows them with such endearing character traits, that the reader's subconscious mind sees them as lovable.

And finally she takes her readers very deeply into her characters minds. She exposing their strengths, weaknesses, vulnerabilities, and humanity to the degree that her readers actually identify with them. And that is when the subconscious transference occurs.

Stephanie's use of vulnerable human statements, that we often say to ourselves, are what cause the transference.

Examples:

"It was more than pathetic, it was unhealthy."

"Not her."

"You are my life now."

"I would rather die than stay away from you."

"The lion fell in love with the lamb..stupid lamb..masochistic lion."

"It makes me anxious to be away from you."

"Hopelessly, irrevocably in love."

And by doing that her reader's subconscious mind's final hurtle is overcome. The reader's subconscious quits thinking, that is exactly how I would have felt. And starts thinking "How could Edward have deserted me !" or "You are my life now."

Thousands of Meyer's readers have reported, that having read all of Meyer's works they desperately want to find something else like them. But sadly there is nothing quite like her works presently ouy there.

In her novel, "Pride and Prejudice," Jane Austen taught the general reading public how powerful transference can be. She did so causing them to fall in love with Elizabeth and Darcy. It seems only right then that Ms. Austen should also be the one to warn the public of the risks. She did so in her novel "Northanger Abby."

Through Henry she tells us:

"The risk (of transference) is not in the (novels) we choose to read, but in how we read them. The power of (fiction) is it's ability to deceive, but that is also where the danger lies. For fiction and reality are as different as air and water. And if you confuse the two, you will drown. Unless of course you are a fish. But if you are, (beware) for then the danger lies in the air."

Reading Stephanie's works cause the reader to run the risk of saying good bye to people they have grown to love. But it is better to have loved and lost, than to not have loved at all.

Your friend,
Doc B http://tinyurl.com/kpgvsr

If any of our readers have any specific comments or questions, I look forward to discussing them.
Congratulations on a wonderful year,
May God bless and keep, you one and all,
Doc B

Read your delightful " I am a storyteller quote:" and had to jot this thought.
Is it really 5 degrees cooler in Cave Creek than it is in Scottsdale ?

The longevity of Ms. Meyers works have been insured, by the cries of Hector's baby..
I listened as, the student asked the "great" Professor Beven, if the Iliad's longevity was do more to Homer's use of hexameter verse, or to 'as Aristotle argued' his creation of a unified theme of action.

The Beven smiled and said "If you'll allow me I'll show you." Then he closed his eyes for a moment. And when he opened them he was a blind poet. He was Homer.

And as our blind poet paced around the room, he recited from memory and in perfect verse, the scene from his Iliad where Hector prepares for his death.

The Trojan leader Hector puts on his red crested helmet. He embraced his wife, and then starts to leave to fight Achilles.

But when he gets to the door, he remembers that he was walking to his death.

And that he will never return.

( Hector knew that Achilles was 99% immortal. And Hector also knew that he had no chance of surviving their death match.)

And so Hector turns back, so that, before he dies, he can hold his baby one last time.

But as he reaches into his crib, to his surprise his baby looks up at him and cries out in terror.

Hector realizes that his baby is only terrified of the scarlet feathered plump that adorns his commander's helmet.

He smiles, holds his baby to his chest, and kisses his child one last time.

And then he gently lays him back in his crib.

And turns and walks to his death.

Beven stopped and 'lovingly' shook his fist at us and said: "It's the story. It's the story. It's always been the story !"

"Don't you see," Beven said, "the reason Alexander The Great, slept with a copy of the Iliad under his head wasn't because of it's beautiful hexameter verse. Or it's unified theme. He did it out of his love of the story.

And that's exactly why we still love it two thousand years later.

Remember, It's the story. It's always about the story.

"Homer's Iliad has lasted long after the works of a million others authors were forgotten because he was such a great story teller." The Beven said.

"Remember class, It's always the works of the great story tellers that last the longest.

Tomorrow's lecture shall be on "the Poetics"

And then the great Beven exeted stage left.

That was the memory that flashed through my mind yesterday, as I read an interview Stephanie Meyer's had given.

It said. And Ms. Meyer replied:

"I have never thought of myself as a writer, I have always thought of myself as a story teller."

And I knew somewhere in heaven Beven was smiling, as we enjoyed reading those words together.

Most sincerely,

Doc B http://tr.im/rkop

Steph,
Job well done, Job well done indeed,
Love,
Doc B

The Secrete Love Story, Stephanie Hid In "Twilight" For All Of Us.

Dear G,

I have this theory about "Twilight, Stephanie, and Love. And that is that "Twilight" is Stephanie's way of sharing her love with all of us.

My guess is that like Abraham Lincoln, almost no day goes by when Stephanie doesn't read her Bible. How often does she discuss reading religious materials in her books? Not one single time.

And like Lincoln how often do you think Stephanie prays? Often I imagine. How often does she have her characters pray. Not one time that I can remember.

You know that I love to study ALMOST ANYTHING. One subject I have always enjoyed studying is comparative religion. I have my own personal beliefs, but they aren't relevant to this discussion.

But those that follow the faith Stephanie, Lincoln's, and Washington did, have only two absolute orders of faith to live by they are to constantly: love and forgive.

When Stephabie said, "I enjoy seeing how love impacts the world in my novels. What she is doing in her works, is exploring love and sharing her discoveries with others.

When Bella freely gives her love to Edward and Charlie it changes them. Bella's love for Charlie helps sooth his pain over loosing Rene. And that helps Charlie sooth Sue's pain, over the loss of her husband. And part of that love rebounds as her affection for him, helps him have the courage to open his heart to the prospect of trusting another's love again.

That is the nature of love. Every act of sincere love has a never ending ripple like effect, as the Budda said.

Many proponents of Stephanies faith have argued that the most powerful way to influence others is simply to love them. That's it. No proselytizing, just love, and you keep loving until you can't do no more, but you continue to love.

Stephanie said that "Twilight" is a story about what it would be like to look at life through the perspective of love. Bella's love makes Edward, Charlie,Jacob and everyone she touches stronger and more lovable.

But (HERE IS THE MAGICAL PART ) "TWILIGHT" also helps the tens of millions of us who read her books better people too. People who are psycologicaly stronger, have greater capacities to love,and are more accepting of others. You and I and those with us who have daily studdied her works have been the first to understand how and why her novels change her readers lives for the better.

Stephanies magical gift that allows her characters to "come alive" in our own subconscious psyches, also allow Bella's love to transform us for the better. (See my article on the addictive nature of Stephanie Meyer's works.)

In our jaded world, people are famished for REAL love, respect, courtesy, and personal dignity. Bella, Carlisle, Edward, Esme, and all the rest show her millions of readers new possabilities for their own lives.

If the founders of Stephanie's faith had known that she would spread the primary tenant of her faith, BY WRITING A VAMPIRE ROMANCE NOVEL, they wouldn't be rolling in their graves. BUT they would also be saying what a "novel" way to teach others what we believe.

Do I know if my personal beliefs are true. No that is imposable. That is why it is called faith. But like Einstein as a scientist the one thing I am positive of, and that is that love is real.

Job well done Ms. Stephanie Meyer. Job well done indeed.

As always it has been a joy sharring with you,

Doc B

Faith, hope, charity, but the greatest is LOVE!

PS: As you know, I love Abraham Lincoln stories.

By the middle of the Civil War, Lincoln was desperate to bring an end to human slavery. He had already written his "Presidential Emancipation Proclamation." But he was afraid if he announced an end to slavery at the wrong moment, it might alter the war effort and have just the opposite effect he wanted. So his, earth shattering, Proclimation sat waiting to announced in his office desk.

One day a Quaker woman came to see him. She told Lincoln that today was the day, he should announce the end of slavery.

She went on to tell him "That last night her, and his, very own Lord and Master had appeared to her in her bed room. And their Master had told her that she should directly go to Lincoln and tell him to bring an end to slavery.

Lincoln didn't say anything.

Then the Quaker lady said "Don't you believe me Mr. President."

And he said, "Why yes Ma'am, I do believe you."

The the Quaker lady exasperatedly proclaimed, "Well I told you the message our Lord sent you from my bedroom. Why do you wait, even another moment."

"Well Ma'am President Lincoln said, "I just would have felt a little more confident, had he chosen my bedroom to come to than your's."

Love BEAR'S all things
Stephie this post is for you,
Doc b

Sigmund Freud” the father of modern Psychiatry

Carl Jung: The Father of modern Psychology

.A Psychiatrist gives his opinion about Meyer’s interpretations of love. By Doc B. M.D.

Introduction: I am a retired Plastic Surgeon. Consequently during my career I had to have a fairly strong understanding of basic human psychology. But yesterday I had the pleasure of having a Psychiatrist analyze Stephanie Meyers description of Edward, Bella and Jacobs love affair.

I was having lunch with a good friend who just happened to be a Psychiatrist.
“It’s your turn to decide this weeks topic for our discussion.” He mused. “So what are we discussing today.”

“Love,” I answered. And his eyebrows pinched together.
“Are you acquainted with a Ms. Stephanie Meyer, or any of her novels?” I asked.
“All that I know about her, is that she lives a couple of miles from my house. And that she has apparently been a very successful writer.” He replied.

“OK,” I said. Here is what I am going to do. I am going to present a psychological case for you to analyze about a girl. But rather than a patient of mine, she is going to be a fictional character from a novel. Let’s call her Bella. And a love triangle, that she gets herself embroiled in. Let’s choose two random names for her paramours. Edward and Jacob should do.”

First her love for Edward is extremely intense, and while their relationship is an over all positive one, it has characteristics which make it addictive in nature. There are elements of obsessive tendencies by both partners. And each is so attached to the other, that life itself with out the other is virtually inconceivable to either of them. They makes statements such as, “I feel afraid when I am not near you.”

The second loving relationship this Bella having is for a boy named Jacob. It started as a typical “phila” affection. (Phila def: The type of love that exists between two friends ) But it matured into a full blown bilateral Eros. (Eros, def: the love that a man and a woman develop for each other) But this affair lacks the intensity and the addictive nature of the first relationship.”
After going into the exact details of the case I asked him.

“So was Ms. Meyer accurate in her description of the different types of human love? And how they might “play out” in this particular case?” I asked.

My friend sat back in his chair and smiled.

And then he said.
“Ms. Meyer is spot on. You see I am some what of an expert on the psychological dynamics of these two entirely different types of erotic relationships. And the reason is: BECAUSE I HAVE PERSONALY BEEN INTIMATLY INVOLVED IN EACH OF THE TWO TYPES, MS. MEYER DESCRIBED! She got it exactly right.”

After a long discussion on the topic, he said. “Is there anything else you would like to know.”

“Yes.” I responded. “Is the psychological nature of a man’s erotic love for a woman the same as a woman’s for a man?

“Well, Yes and no.” He said. But that is a topic for another day,

Most sincerely and respectfully,
Doc B. M.D.
* The vernacular for Eros typically implies intimate physical contact. But it’s true psychological definition simply means “the love that develops between a man and a woman.”

Fyi Doc B

. .
Where did Edward and Darcy come from? Carl Jung answered the question.

Carl Jung (The father of modern psychology) was contemplating the similarities between the Roman’s gods and the Greeks god’s, and the Hawaiian gods.

And then it hit him.
All of the different cultures around the world had at one time worshiped a god of war, a maternal god, a god of love, a masculine god and on and on.

And then he deduced that every where around the entire world every single different cultures had come up with the same concepts of the same gods, because all of them were projecting parts of their identical human psyches.

So every normal man and every normal woman’s psyche (their mental being that made them who they are) had to have part of their nature which was feminine, masculine, loving, hating, kind, cruel, maternal, paternal, and on and on.
Jung taught us that Jane Austen’s wonderful, lovable, male character Darcy in “Pride and Prejudice” is actually just the masculine part of “JANE” (the male part of her even though she was a very normal feminine and natural woman.)

And similarly Stephanie can portray Edward so perfectly, because he actually is a part of her.

And no one else will ever be able to describe exactly how Darcy feels. And how he perceives things as well as Jane Austen could because, he WAS her.

The Same goes for Edward Cullen, and Stephanie Meyer.

And it is for that same reason that the women reading “Twilight” tend to instinctively think of themselves as Bella.

But that is also why they can suffer and delight with Edward. Because a part of each of them, is Edward.

And now you know the rest of the story.

Oh and is a part of all of us Edward’s monster ? I am afraid so. Let’s just hope that it is a very small part.

Most sincerely, and respectfully,
Doc B

* FYI Each Roman thought that he or she was a descendent of a personal god. Julius Caesar the most famous warrior of all time, felt that he was a descendent of Venus, the female goddess of love.

As Mr. Buttons likes to say. “Go figure!” ..

</</body>

pleaaaase Stephenie!!!!!i beg you!!!!release midnight sun!!!!we're talking about my mental health here!!!i need this book!!!!please!!i'm going to be so frustrated if u don't give us the chance to read it....

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service