The Twilight Saga

Jacob's Invitation To Bella's Wedding: Was It Right Or Wrong Of Edward To Extend It ? And Was It Right Or Wrong Of Jacob To Accept It ?

Discussion KSDE101809 By Doc B
Jacob's Invitation To Bella's Wedding: Was It Right Or Wrong Of Edward To Extend It ? And Was It Right Or Wrong Of Jacob To Accept It ?

Question no. 1: Do you think that Edward made the correct decision when he invited Jacob, to attend his and Bella's wedding ? And why ?
Question no. 2: Having watched Jacob experience the joy, the love, the pain, and the anguish of a broken heart, would you have advised Jacob to attend Bella's wedding.

Saga relevance: Jacob was stunned when he opened the invitation to Bella Swan's wedding, and discovered that it was from Edward Cullen! (The thought: Will there be NO END to this pain, must have gone through his mind) The "man" that had beaten him, in his desperate fight for Bella's love, was now inviting him to watch the two of them marry. In his mind their wedding also guaranteed the death of the woman he still so desperatley loved. (The woman who had brought him both the greatest joy, and the most bitter pain of his life.)
On the other hand Edward appreciated Jacob's help. But he also knew the invitation would be painful for Jacob to rieieve. And that it might turn his and Bella's wedding into "quite literaly" a blood bath.

Alice had planned a beautiful wedding for Bella at the Cullen's estate. And she had one of the fastest rising stars in the fashion world create a spectacular dress for Bella. She had instructed the designer to use Edward's mother's antique wedding ring as an inspiration.
And Alice had even personally designed the lace for Bella's dress.
But had she been able to read werewolfs' futures as easily as she did vampires, she would have foreseen Jacob, shimmering as he prepared to shift into a werewolf, to kill her brother at the wedding.

There were certainly pros and cons that both Edward and Jacob had to weigh, before they made their decisions. How would you have advised them ?

We sincerely look forward to learning your opinion. To both increase our understanding and our enjoyment of the "Twilight Saga."

Most sincerely, your friend,
Doc B,
How To Join The Rose Discussion Group. And Be Notified Of Our Daily Discussions: Just Go To MY Page http://www.thetwilightsaga.com/profile/BurleighJmatthew
And hit the "Want to be a Friend" icon under the (Avatar) picture of the big "Reading Bear"

http://tinyurl.com/kpgvsr

Views: 1651

Replies to This Discussion

a pleasant day....

Actually for me it's alrightfor edward to invite jacob...why?jacob has the right to knowwhat's going on with bella his her best friend(remember?)and as what i have understand about edwards intentions of sending jake the invitation is to end the coflict between the two of them..maybe he thought jacob can feel that he will take care of bella for him...and maybe edward wanted jacob to be his friend badly...(remember in eclipse? they're conversation at the middle of the forest).....maybe edward wanted jake to be his friend just like what seth id to him...maybe he realized that the theory vampres- and-werewolves-are-always-enimies doesn't apply anymore....

And come to think of it:
In whose wedding will it be that the best man doesn't get any invitation? ----Not Bella's of course----
spegs

I think that your right that, it was some what of an olive branch for Jacobe, and Edward understood that Bella would want jacob to have the choice to come if he wanted, because Edward did have respect for Jacob, even if Jacob didnt see it that way.

I totally agree to that he may of wanted him to see that he would love and look after Bell and she would be ok with him.

thanks for your thoughts

G x
Question no. 1:
Do you think that Edward made the correct decision when he invited Jacob, to attend his and Bella's wedding? And why?

Yes, I think Edward made the right decision to invite Jacob to the Wedding. I think Edward knew that if Jacob did attend the Wedding that it would help him with having closure regarding #1 Bella choosing to marry Edward and #2 Bella choosing to forfeit her human life to become a vampire.
Edward knew that it would hurt Jacob to attend the Wedding; it would hurt Jacob to watch the woman he was in-love with marry another. But Edward also knew at the core of Jacob’s character was a deep seeded loyalty.
I believe that Edward knew that Jacob’s loyalty to Bella and the incredible bond of friendship Bella and Jacob shared would allow them to get past the pain and realize that the strength of their friendship could endure Bella’s forth coming choice. Edward also knew that although he had won Bella’s heart…that Bella very much need Jacob to attend the wedding…she needed Jacob to look her in the eye and give her his blessing…and to let her go. Bella needed Jacob’s acceptance of her choice, because as much as she loved Edward what was built between her and Jacob would stay with her forever, and in order for her to cross the threshold of her new life, she very much needed the Love, acceptance and approval of her best friend to be at peace with her moving on.

Question no. 2:
Having watched Jacob experience the joy, the love, the pain, and the anguish of a broken heart, would you have advised Jacob to attend Bella's wedding

Wow…this is a tough one. Personally, having experienced heartbreak similar to Jacob’s…I am not sure I would advise him to attend the actual Ceremony. Watching a man and a woman who are truly in-love, committed to one another, sobered by the promise the are about to make...take vows is a very powerful thing. To watch the one you love and long for say the words you so desperately want to hear to another…I think is too much to ask for one heart to bear. (I feel this especially in Jacob’s case) I would have advised Jacob to attend the Reception. At that point the vows have been said…the decision is made…both rings are on…reality is staring you in the face…and you have to deal.

Question no. 3:
But if Alice had been able to read werewolfs' futures as easily as she did vampires, she would have foreseen Jacob, shimmering as he prepared to shift into a werewolf, to kill her brother at the wedding.
There were certainly pros and cons that both Edward and Jacob had to weigh, before they made their decisions. How would you have advised them?

Alice was very aware of how Jacob felt about Bella. My opinion is she was not going to let anything get in the way of the happiness that had eluded Edward for nearly 100 years. I believe that Alice knew that Edward would FIND a WAY to make peace with Jacob…and the rest of the Pack. I think Edward acted exactly as he should have. He understood the gravity of the entire situation, he did his best to keep all sides civil and communicating, knowing that no one would be able to change Bella’s mind. The only thing I would have told Jacob…would be to try to hold on to his self-control until the moment that good-bye was upon him. Again this displays SM’s genius because the thought of Bella being that close to Edward before being changed…was too much for Jacob’s 16 year old heart and mind – to handle in a mature fashion.
He just could not keep himself together…and really…who can blame him?

Thanks Doc – Great discussion!
Wow

You always write the most insightful and beautiful posts, i agree with what you have said totally

Thanks for sharing

G x

Dear Stephanie,

S" Closure with their marriage and Bella's acceptance of an end to her human life" Doc B An excellent, excellent observation especially about Bella's acceptance of an end to her human life. We sometimes forget how much the characters mature in the saga. At the Bella Rose Bistro Edward thought less of Jacob than a dog. But by the end of the saga as he entrusts the life of his beloved Nesse to him and says "Good bye my brother, my son" Both character's emotionally mature so much as the Saga progresses.

St " core of Jacob’s character was a deep seeded loyalty. DB what an excellent observation, remember how Jacob fought so hard to not to break his promise to Bella. His loyalty certainly was a key factor in both his life and his character.

St "Jacob, to look her in the eye and give her his blessing…and to let her go" DB a powerful and true observation."

ST" Love, acceptance and approval of her best friend" Db The reason I feel that this observation is so important is because sometimes we forget what TREASURES our real close friends are. And how importantly they are to us both psychologically, and emotionally.

What really close friends did Bella have? Jacob and Angela. And only Jacob had the possibility of continuing to be her friend AFTER HER supernatural transformation. To have lost that friendship would have been a life long tragedy.

Question number two:

St: To watch the one you love and long for, say the words you so desperately want to hear to another…I think is too much to ask for one heart to bear. Db" We agree on this entirely. In an earlier discussion I told you about a relationship I had, had as a young man. A girl I had dated found someone else and I wished them the best. But I don't think that I could have endured the pain of watching them marry then. Now though MANY years later I could. I think that my wonderful wife and I now, could even have a very pleasant time at their reception.

St" My opinion is Alice was not going to let anything get in the way of the happiness" DB I think you "have got our Alice's character perfectly. (One of my very favorite characters.)

St " SM’s genius because the thought of Bella being that close to Edward before being changed…was too much for Jacob’s 16 year old heart and mind – to handle Db I couldn't agree more. SM has this God given gift for being able to understanding life from a dozen different perspectives. And WE have the gift of being able to enjoy the fruits of her gifts. In our discussion "The Bella Rose Restaurant revelation" where we discover how gifted Bella is at being able to perceive things about other people. One discussant said THAT'S HER!!! That, THAT'S STEPHIE DESCRIBING HERSELF! Because if she wasn't so perceptive she never could understand how so many different characters feel about life's challenges.

Stephany, your post was a joy to read as always. Thank you for helping all of us understand this critical Saga moment better.

Your friend,
Doc B

FYI ps from Twittter, e-mail, and face book I know that there are lots of educators who are trying to find ways of integrating saga material into their class work. More than one educator has told me that they photo copy every page of every Rose discussions placed on this sight. I know that if I were and educator I would want a copy of your opinions.
It makes me feel good knowing that 50 years from now. Students will either directly or indirectly still be profiting from your sage opinions.

lolDB
Thank you Doc!

One of the things I love about this group is that you never know if you are going to give or get hugs. But you always know that they are comming.

Phila, Doc
All the pics are great, well all the ones with Bella and Edward at least. I think that it was a good thing for Edward to invite Jacob just cause he's important to Bella and she was happy he was there. However, maybe Jacob should not have shown just cause he had to know how he was going to feel about seeing Bella as the new Mrs Cullen. Oh just those two little words makes me so happy.

Dear Elizebeth, Glad you liked the pics. "Those two little words" Aren't they fun?

Dear Elizebeth, Since you seem to have a special interest in our discussions photos, maybe you could hekp answer a question for me. One member wrote that we use too many "kissing photos" Do you agree? Would you find a photo the one below offensive? I most certainly wouldn't want to offend any members.

Look forward to hearing your advice.Doc B

Look forward to hearing your advice.Doc B
wat i wud give to be her
well i think he did the right thing to invite jake either way he wouldstill have been hurt if he wasnt thot of by anyone jake also did the right thing to attend as a frend i wouldnt go.but jake hd to see that that was her choice and acept it

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service