The Twilight Saga

"The Proposal" A Scene Analyses, From The Novel "Eclipse." What Do You Think Bella Swan and Edward Really Felt About His Proposal? And, "How Did You Feel As You Read the story Of Edward's Proposal?

"The Proposal" A Scene Analyses, From The Novel  "Eclipse."  What Do You Think Bella Swan Really Felt About Edward's Proposal? How Did Edward Feel About It? And, How Did It Make You Feel As You  Read the story Of Edward's Proposal? 

Introduction: The prelude to Edward's marriage proposal, to Bella Swan, starts on page 455 of the novel "Eclipse." It is one of the most emotionally charged scenes in the entire novel. Interestingly the emotions of the two protagonists, Bella and Edward, appear to be polar opposites. (Protagonists: The main characters in a story)

Bella, starts by explaining to Edward how she feels about the prospect of marrying him.  "I can't believe that I am going along with this!" And "Can you imagine what Angelina will think?... Ugh!"

Edward, Q: " It doesn't have to be a big production. You can wear an old pair of Jeans. We can go to Vegas!"
Bella thinks to herself, that she can demonstrate how little significance the ceremony holds for her, by even lowering Edward's proposed dress standards. She can just wear an old pair of sweat pants to the "ceremony." 

Edward, Q:  "Do you want to see IT!  (referring to the engagement ring, he desperately hopes Bella will accept) Edward adroitly gets THE TERRIFYING LITTLE BLACK BOX out of his night stand. The box which holds the physical object, that Edward treasures more than any other in the entire world. It is Elizabeth Mason's wedding ring. The same ring Edward's father had given his mother. The same ring which she had worn until the day that both she and Edward had died. The ring that was on her hand, as she desperately clung to Doctor Cullen's jacket, begging him to save her boy's life. 

Bella, Q:  "Edward's liquid topaz eyes were suddenly shinning with excitement. "NO!" Bella almost shouts at him. Edward dejectedly says "It can wait."
Then Bella finally relents and says "Show me the DAMNED ring, Edward."

Later after Bella had allowed him to slip the ring on her her hand. Ostensibly (ostensibly; appearing to be for one reason, when it may be for an entirely different reason ) so that he can see if the ring needs to be sized. Bella regrets that she had recently broken her right hand and not her left. For if she had been fortunate enough to have broken her left hand, her RING FINGER would have been too swollen for Edward to slip THE RING on. Bella then shows Edward her hand with Elizabeth's ring in the PLACE that Edward had "dreamed" that it would be, and stay for eternity. Bella, Q: "You like that don't you." Edward replies "YOU HAVE NO IDEA." (To Edward this is possibly the most exciting moment of his entire life.  

Edward then falls to one knee. Causing Bella to moan, "Oh NO!" As she wonders to herself if there will ever be an end to this nightmare.  

Edward says: "Isabella Swan, I promise to love you forever - every single day of forever. Will you marry me?
A long list of alternative responses flash through Bella's mind. After deliberating over different options,she finally says,  yes!

"THANK YOU!" Edward says. Bella replies, Q  "He took my left hand and kissed each finger tip, before he kissed the ring THAT WAS NOW MINE!

White Rose discussion question:

What do you think Bella Swan was really feeling durring this scene? How do you feel Edward felt about it? And, How did it make you feel as you read the story of Edward's proposal? 

As always we sincerely look forward to learning your opinion. Yours, Doc

Views: 900

Replies to This Discussion

Nicely said Sara!!!! :) I couldn't have said it better myself... I can't even remember what I wrote! lol
Dear Sara,
Your comments on Edward's proposal are just excellent. No one had brought up the possability that Edward would be removing Jacob from the competition. But you are exactly right. Excellent points. Thank you for sharing with us, Doc

Welcome Home: As Alice might say :"We have been waiting a long time for you to come.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service