The Twilight Saga

Who was the "most evil" Jane, James, Aro, or Victoria.

One of the discovery channels is running a new show. It attempts to analyzes and the degree of evil of different villainous characters. It might compare Hitler, to Stalin, to Mao for example.  Then they will conclude that this villain was more evil than the other. 

Rose Discussion question number one: If you were to list, the above four characters by their degree of evilness. (most evil to least) how would you list them?

And two. If Stephanie Meyer choose Carlisle to symbolise good in the "Twilight Saga" (a debatable premise, I agree) who do you think she choose to represent evil?

Sincerely,

Doc B

I get new "Twi-Photographs every day. Many more than I can ever use. So I started a "Professor Button's Rose Photo Club at my face page. For those of you who enjoy "Twi-photographs.

Will run now. I never want to talk your ear off. lol RB 

Views: 494

Replies to This Discussion

I've read that last year, but I can't recall what Aro did...What Aro did??? LOL
This is from Stephenie's website:
http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/bd_faq.html

What happened to Marcus's wife?

Once upon a time, a fairly young vampire (he had only been a vampire for a decade and a half) named Aro changed his young sister Didyme, who had just reached adulthood, into a vampire in order to add her to his growing coven. Aro always wanted power, and because he himself had a potent mind-reading gift, he hoped his biological sister would also be gifted in a way that would help him rise in the vampire world. It turned out that Didyme did have a gift; she carried with her an aura of happiness that affected everyone who came near her. Though it wasn't exactly what he had hoped for, Aro pondered the best ways he could use this gift. Meanwhile, Aro's most trusted partner, Marcus, fell in love with Didyme. This was not unusual; given the way she made people feel, lots of people fell in love with Didyme. The difference was that this time, Didyme fell in love herself. The two of them were tremendously happy. So happy, in fact that, after a while, they no longer cared that much about Aro's plans for domination. After a few centuries, Didyme and Marcus discussed going their own way. Of course, Aro was well aware of their intentions. He was not happy about it, but he pretended to give his blessing. Then he waited for an opportunity to act, and when he knew he would never be found out, he murdered his sister. After all, Marcus's gift was much more useful to him than hers had been. This is not to say that Aro did not truly love his sister; it's just that a key part of his personality is the ability to destroy even what he loves in order to further his ambitions. Marcus never found out that Aro was responsible for Didyme's death. He became an empty man. Aro used Chelsea's gift to keep Marcus loyal to the Volturi, though not even Chelsea's gift could make Marcus show any enthusiasm for it.
Yeah! I remember! Thanks a lot for the info! Aro is evil and wicked, but still he is typically evil, for pride and power. I really like Marcus of all, I sort of pitied him, why love is so complicated?? Haha
Question # 1. The way I see it, the most evil are in this order 1. James 2. Victoria 3. Aro 4. Jane

Question # 2. I'm not real sure on that one, maybe James.
I think it was victoria who seemed more evil than james
We have to remember James picked Bella for revenge over Alice. With out reading I don't remember the whole story but James remebered Alice's face from a long time ago.
Everything was a game to James...I think it was Edward that he wanted, seeing as he was protecting a human.
James had told Bella "I'm sorry, but I just don't think he'll be able to resist hunting me after he watches this. And I wouldn't want him to miss anything. It was all for him, of course. You're simply a human, who unforntuately was in the wrong place, at the wrong time, and indisputably running with the wrong crowd, I might add."
quite honestly, i truely believe that aro is the ultimate symbolization of evil hes absolutely more evil than anyone else in the books. he is not only openly evil, he also attempts to create this trusting nice facade thats meant to lure you into this false sense of security
Rose Discussion question number one: If you were to list, the above four characters by their degree of evilness. (most evil to least) how would you list them?
Aro
In my opinion, Aro is the most evil of these characters because he is not only evil himself, but he seeks to turn others to his own evil agenda. He seeks out and recruits people like Jane and Alec in order to build his arsenal of weapons, lest anyone try to challenge his quest for control. He even killed his own sister in a bid to keep Marcus under his thumb. He uses Heidi's skill to strengthen his guard's (and Marcus') loyalty to him, essentially quelling their ability to exercise their free will.
If Aro were only Aro, he would still be evil. But because he manipulates others to do his dirty deeds for him, he is doubly so, in my opinion. He uses the appearance of civility and the support of law to carry out his plans. In doing so, he violates the trust of the vampires he rules--vampires who follow the laws as they were intended and don't seek to manipulate the rules to their own gain.
Jane
This little girl is some bad seed. The very nature of her gift--causing people the illusion of pain--tells us that even as a human, she had a cruel streak that probably ran to torture. She would have been the type of child who maimed and mutilated kittens and other small animals. I do believe that some of Jane's delight in torturing people is derived from being able to please Aro, her "master." He seems to have taken on a sort of fatherly role with her, and she enjoys pleasing him and carrying out his work. But as we can see from her casual treatment of poor Bree--when the Cullens point out that Jane doesn't have to hurt the girl, that Bree would answer her questions anyway, Jane says, "yes, I know"--so we can see that Jane also simply enjoys hurting others for no real purpose at all.
James
He has a bit of a mean streak, yes. But judging from his tracking ability, it's possible to surmise that as a human, James was simply a guy who was a particularly decent hunter, who enjoyed hunting for the sport of it. One of those guys that hunts for the trophy on the wall rather than for food. I feel like his meanness as a vampire comes more from a sort of boredom and a place of ego--tracking is the one thing James is really good at, and he likes a good hunt. It gives him a chance to show off for Victoria, and also gives them some sort of entertainment--I mean, they have to feed. Why not make it fun? And Bella, since she's protected by vampires at least as powerful as he and Victoria, is sort of the ultimate trophy. She's the equivalent of a record-setting buck.
I don't know that James really understood that Edward and Bella were bonded in the same way that he and Victoria were. Obviously he knew that Edward had some sort of bizarre interest in protecting Bella, but bonded? Why would he think that? I mean, Rosalie--Edward's own "sister"--didn't even realize the connection between Bella and Edward was that strong. So why would James? Perhaps if he had, he would have relented? Perhaps not. But I don't think he was purely evil. He was capable of caring for Victoria, after all.
Victoria
She isn't really inherently evil, I don't believe. I think she is a woman who was deeply in love and feels a need for vengeance against the person/people she feels are responsible for her loss. We don't really know enough about her, though, to say that she was evil prior to meeting James, so it's possible that she was a decent girl who was led astray.

And two. If Stephanie Meyer choose Carlisle to symbolise good in the "Twilight Saga" (a debatable premise, I agree) who do you think she choose to represent evil?
Aro. Carlisle collects vampires who choose to stay with him of their own free will, and encourages them to do good things, positive things. He lives by a moral code that derives pleasure from helping and protecting humans. He has respect for the law--in order to be a Cullen, Alice tells Bella, you have to be responsible above everything else. Carlisle's ethics seem to be of the "always do the right thing, even if you're unsure of the outcome" variety. Which is the opposite of Aro's, which seem to be "the end justifies the means" variety. Aro's "ends" and his means to achieve them are selfish, while Carlisle's goals are selfless. Carlisle does not want power--Aro wants power above all else. Aro collects people with powerful skills and then manipulates them and their feelings of loyalty in order to bind them to him. Carlisle doesn't force anyone to follow him--they choose to simply because he represents the best that their kind can be.
A counterpoint question Doc--
What do you think the root of Alec's power is? Obviously, he can deprive people of their senses. But I'm interested in what people think his power was as a human, and also interested in whether Alec is evil like Jane?
Counterpoint Question:
I do believe Alec is more...restrain then Jane, he is more cool, I would say...And when he is human, I think he is manipulative (if there's such word, haha), that's why he seems to be able to control one's mind, by blanking them...
Sincerely,
Natshane
I agree with the manipulation theory, its the only thing that makes sense. being able to manipulate ones feelings into what you want them to be is devastating in the natural world, so i can see how in the vampire world it was hightened into a weapon of mass destruction for lack of a better word.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service