The Twilight Saga

DAVID SLADE TO DIRECT SUMMIT ENTERTAINMENT'S THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE

Los Angeles, CA April 22, 2009 — Summit Entertainment announced today that David Slade has been hired to direct THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE from a screenplay written by Melissa Rosenberg. THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE, the third film in the studio's TWILIGHT film franchise based on the Stephenie Meyer's blockbuster book series, will be released theatrically in North America on Wednesday, June 30, 2010. The announcement was made by Erik Feig, Summit's President of Production.

Meyer stated, "I am thrilled that David Slade will be directing ECLIPSE. He's a visionary filmmaker who has so much to offer this franchise. From the beginning, we've been blessed with wonderful directorial talent for the Twilight Saga, and I'm so happy that ECLIPSE will be carrying on with that tradition."

Feig said, "Stephenie Meyer's ECLIPSE is a muscular, rich, vivid book and we at Summit looked long and hard for a director who could do it justice. We believe we have found that talent in David Slade, a director who has been able to create complex, visually arresting worlds. We cannot wait to see the ECLIPSE he brings to life and brings to the fans eagerly awaiting its arrival in summer of 2010."

Filmmaker Slade came to prominence as a director for his work on 2006's engrossing film HARD CANDY starring Academy Award® Nominated actress Ellen Page as well as directing 2007's genre hit 30 DAYS OF NIGHT which opened to number one at the box office its first weekend of release.

In ECLIPSE, Bella once again finds herself surrounded by danger as Seattle is ravaged by a string of mysterious killings and a malicious vampire continues her quest for revenge. In the midst of it all, she is forced to choose between her love for Edward and her friendship with Jacob — knowing that her decision has the potential to ignite the ageless struggle between vampire and werewolf. With her graduation quickly approaching, Bella is confronted with the most important decision of her life.

Slade is represented by William Morris Agency.

Is it wrong of me to say that I am upset about this? I have looked at the movies he has made and I am clearly disturbed by this choice. I am also incensed by Stephenies response, is she dazzled by dollars? I feel he cleary is lacking an understand of the romantic storyline that is central to the entire series. He may make a great action flick, but who is that for? Certainly not for us! What do you think?

Should we do something about it? I think a fan movement needs to begin!

Views: 13

Replies to This Discussion

Good point Erika

I remember when Summit bought the rights for Twilight from Paramount's MTV movie unit. Supposedly the MTV screen play, had vampire helicopter fights and the Cullen's chasing people on jet skies. I can't help but believe that the MTV version might have missed the essence of Stephanies vision.
For real? I hadn't heard that and just picturing it makes me laugh. Thank heaven for small favors, eh? At least we can say CH didn't have the Cullens on jet skies and helicopter fights. ;)
I haven't seen any of his movies, so I'm not sure yet. That being said, Eclipse is my favorite book so he better not F it up!!! The action is secondary to the love triangle that's going on. If I were SM, I would've had him sign in blood (ha-ha!) that he would make the love story paramount in the movie. I guess I'm going to have to start hunting up clips from his movies...
Well said LuvTopazEyes. I think the action was great in the book, but we would not have the action if it weren't for Edward and Bella's love story......THE LOVE STORY BETTER BE THERE!!!!!!
Well spoken, and I agree.
ok, so how well did 30 days of night do in comparison to Twilight ? Hey the Vampire / Wolf thing is great but.......... The love that developed between Edward and Bella was what made the movie albeit it a love with a twist. I'm an action kinda guy who is a hopeless romantic, so Mr. Slade will have to do his best work to illustrate that wonderful crazy twisted vampy love. And LuvTopazEyes that signing in blood thing would be wicked indeed, but Slade might get the message then.
SM has already met with slade.

I'm OK with it because I didn't like some of the other very inexperienced options that were being thrown around. At least he has done movies with special effects before. yes, the romance/story is pivotal and crucial, but representing the battle and the vamps/newborns is also crucial. If they come off hokie in any way, I'll be pissed. moreso I think than if they screw up the romance. JMHO.
Well, I was worried when I heard that Weitz was directing "New Moon" just due to the fact that he had directed "American Pie" which I loved but WHAT does kind of credibility does that give him in understanding true love, loss and depression. AP was all about "getting it", "getting OVER it", and "getting it on." Not so deep. Anyhoo, I am most worried that they will CGI these next movies to death in order to make them more visually pleasing, therefore taking away from the central themes and characters. I never would have thought James Cameron would have made "Titanic" the epic love story that it was, after all, he was the TERMINATOR guy, but that was what drove the movie, the intense human relationships. So, I guess I just really loved that Katherine Hardwick did such a REAL and BEAUTIFUL job on Twilight, really taking us there and shooting in a film noir, documentary style that was more like the books. I just do not want that to all go out the window and have them green screen the entire movie. My 2 cents....
Ok.. So I guess maybe Im going to play devis advocate here, and say Maybe we should just wait and give him a chance... You never know he might be good for Eclipse... I havent actually seen any of his movies, but everyone should atleast be given a chance...
yea I hate that they are using different directors.. but I think he might do a good job. I liked 30 days of night. I'm not quite sure what the rush to all the movies done is about I guess money.
I totally agree with you there, but I am glad they replaced Catherine Hardwiche.. Im hoping that This new guy will keep New Moon closer to the book. I think they should keep the same one too. My only point is since they arent, maybe we should give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he does.
I totally didnt know that Harry Potter had different Directors.. Really????

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service