The Twilight Saga

DAVID SLADE TO DIRECT SUMMIT ENTERTAINMENT'S THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE

Los Angeles, CA April 22, 2009 — Summit Entertainment announced today that David Slade has been hired to direct THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE from a screenplay written by Melissa Rosenberg. THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE, the third film in the studio's TWILIGHT film franchise based on the Stephenie Meyer's blockbuster book series, will be released theatrically in North America on Wednesday, June 30, 2010. The announcement was made by Erik Feig, Summit's President of Production.

Meyer stated, "I am thrilled that David Slade will be directing ECLIPSE. He's a visionary filmmaker who has so much to offer this franchise. From the beginning, we've been blessed with wonderful directorial talent for the Twilight Saga, and I'm so happy that ECLIPSE will be carrying on with that tradition."

Feig said, "Stephenie Meyer's ECLIPSE is a muscular, rich, vivid book and we at Summit looked long and hard for a director who could do it justice. We believe we have found that talent in David Slade, a director who has been able to create complex, visually arresting worlds. We cannot wait to see the ECLIPSE he brings to life and brings to the fans eagerly awaiting its arrival in summer of 2010."

Filmmaker Slade came to prominence as a director for his work on 2006's engrossing film HARD CANDY starring Academy Award® Nominated actress Ellen Page as well as directing 2007's genre hit 30 DAYS OF NIGHT which opened to number one at the box office its first weekend of release.

In ECLIPSE, Bella once again finds herself surrounded by danger as Seattle is ravaged by a string of mysterious killings and a malicious vampire continues her quest for revenge. In the midst of it all, she is forced to choose between her love for Edward and her friendship with Jacob — knowing that her decision has the potential to ignite the ageless struggle between vampire and werewolf. With her graduation quickly approaching, Bella is confronted with the most important decision of her life.

Slade is represented by William Morris Agency.

Is it wrong of me to say that I am upset about this? I have looked at the movies he has made and I am clearly disturbed by this choice. I am also incensed by Stephenies response, is she dazzled by dollars? I feel he cleary is lacking an understand of the romantic storyline that is central to the entire series. He may make a great action flick, but who is that for? Certainly not for us! What do you think?

Should we do something about it? I think a fan movement needs to begin!

Views: 13

Replies to This Discussion

I honestly think they picked David because all his films have been dark/action/disturb. I think that book 3 is most definitly all those things. I think that he will be able to stay true to the romance piece he has to for us fans and then he will make the build up to the fight scene and the end of the fight scene very really for us. I think we should give him a chance between Stephenie and Melissa Rosenberg the screen play we should be ok. Have faith and believe they will not go off the story line.
Personally I believe he is a good choice. He's most know by several music videos, like Stone Temple Pilots "Sour Girl" (which I love) and movies like "Hard Candy" and "30 days of night".
He has a talent to develop the mystery and horror on the screen, but he finds the soft side and the emotions on whatever mess as well. Even thou "Eclipse" has a lot of a romantic material, has a lot of conflicts and it's also kind of gory.
There is a lot of suspense on this book, the battle against the new vampires takes place; and it's when Bella finally meet the real vampire in Edward; besides all the love drama.
I think he's cool!

The one it hasn't convince me is the "New Moon" director, but he'll make a good movie at the end. (I hope!)
I think anything is an improvement from the first director. (sorry to those that liked the 1st movie)

Chris W for New Moon made a statement to SM fans on her website. If he does what he says he will do, it should be good. He directed The Golden Compass. You should check SM's website.

The new guy for Eclipse, well I think we will have to ponder that one some more. 30 Days of Nt wasn't a bad movie. If he directs and they keep it as close to the bk as possible, I can't complain. Hopefully the movie doesn't just revolve around the battle w/ Victoria. Lots of really important things happen besides the fight.
I'd say the jury is out and will have to do some more thinking on the matter.

We all get a bit excited when we hear of all these new things. Cast for the Volturi, new directors, etc. They better not mess up our FAVORITE STORIES. :)
AT THE VERY LEAST IT IS NOT DREW BARRYMORE
No I dont think you are.. If they are going in this direction that is such BS... Bella wasnt afraid of her Hallucinations she chased them on purpose.. Hence the reason she jumped off the cliff and Edward came back.... HELOOOOO.. Shes not gonna be chasing them if shes scared...God I have a feeling this is going to be another Twilight...UGHHHHH
Yeah, I read that line and it's got me really worried too!!! I admit, when I read it, I kept repeating, "Stephenie said what's she's seen is good... Stephenie said what she's seen is good..." I can't imagine as the author, she'd let them twist the entire reason for Bella's existence into her biggest fear!!!

What I'm *hoping* he meant was that Bella fears her hallucinations b/c of how he breaks up with her and how it rips her heart out every time she sees him (remember her grabbing the hole in her chest)? That's what I'm holding out hope for.

I REALLY hope we won't be disappointed!!!!
I think that the direction for Eclipse could go either way. I honestly thought that 30 days of night was a bad movie. The visual effects were good but I kept waiting for something to happen that never did. It's not the directors fault. He didn't write the script. Eclipse is darker than the first two books. Remember there is a lot more violence and the tone is a little darker. This may be the creative vision that Eclipse needs. The most important decision for a director will be for Breaking Dawn. How will they squeeze everything into a 2 hour movie? There is so much detail to cover and to skip one minor detail may just kill the entire movie francise. Then there is a question about keeping a PG-13 rating. Not only is sex brought into the last book but the birth of Renesmee alone may push the envelope to a more mature audience. They need to be very, very careful not to skip around.
I'm a little confused here - Slade said this??? “Twilight drunk? No, not even drunk. Twilight on acid? No, not even on acid? Twilight at gun point? Just shoot me.”

If he's the one that said it - that's not exactly smart on his part - and its definitely only about the money for him not the passion of the piece. I certainly hope he changes his mind...
I am getting bad feelings about this- is he saying in a light hearted way -what a crazy world ho hum a film I wouldn't even go and see, yet now I'm going to direct one of the sequels? Or as I suspect having a go at -
1 Twilight film, ( ok flawed but still very very enjoyable)
2 Twilight books

by saying they are not to his taste?

If so Gods help Eclipse, cos he is going to screw up, run and take the money.
That's absolutely nuts of him to say that. He just wants to cash in on this new cash cow - he doesn't care if he likes it or cares about it or not sounds like. ugh.
If I were Summit, I would def rethink their choice of director for Eclipse. I am offended, probably like almost every other Twihard out there. I can't beleive Summit is going to pay this man to direct a movie from a franchise he'd rather die than to watch.
Yeah, seriously-- I expect some sort of statement soon. If they did a bunch of damage control for comments Rob & Kristen made, then they've GOT to do the same thing if a director made them!!

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service