The Twilight Saga

DAVID SLADE TO DIRECT SUMMIT ENTERTAINMENT'S THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE

Los Angeles, CA April 22, 2009 — Summit Entertainment announced today that David Slade has been hired to direct THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE from a screenplay written by Melissa Rosenberg. THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE, the third film in the studio's TWILIGHT film franchise based on the Stephenie Meyer's blockbuster book series, will be released theatrically in North America on Wednesday, June 30, 2010. The announcement was made by Erik Feig, Summit's President of Production.

Meyer stated, "I am thrilled that David Slade will be directing ECLIPSE. He's a visionary filmmaker who has so much to offer this franchise. From the beginning, we've been blessed with wonderful directorial talent for the Twilight Saga, and I'm so happy that ECLIPSE will be carrying on with that tradition."

Feig said, "Stephenie Meyer's ECLIPSE is a muscular, rich, vivid book and we at Summit looked long and hard for a director who could do it justice. We believe we have found that talent in David Slade, a director who has been able to create complex, visually arresting worlds. We cannot wait to see the ECLIPSE he brings to life and brings to the fans eagerly awaiting its arrival in summer of 2010."

Filmmaker Slade came to prominence as a director for his work on 2006's engrossing film HARD CANDY starring Academy Award® Nominated actress Ellen Page as well as directing 2007's genre hit 30 DAYS OF NIGHT which opened to number one at the box office its first weekend of release.

In ECLIPSE, Bella once again finds herself surrounded by danger as Seattle is ravaged by a string of mysterious killings and a malicious vampire continues her quest for revenge. In the midst of it all, she is forced to choose between her love for Edward and her friendship with Jacob — knowing that her decision has the potential to ignite the ageless struggle between vampire and werewolf. With her graduation quickly approaching, Bella is confronted with the most important decision of her life.

Slade is represented by William Morris Agency.

Is it wrong of me to say that I am upset about this? I have looked at the movies he has made and I am clearly disturbed by this choice. I am also incensed by Stephenies response, is she dazzled by dollars? I feel he cleary is lacking an understand of the romantic storyline that is central to the entire series. He may make a great action flick, but who is that for? Certainly not for us! What do you think?

Should we do something about it? I think a fan movement needs to begin!

Views: 13

Replies to This Discussion

another new director again??? Eclipse is not a horror fllick so i don't think Mr. Slade can do justice about the movie. It might hurt the book again just as what happened in the twilight movie. As what is saw in the trailer of New Moon, i think Mr. Chris did a good job. Good because i don't see the whole movie yet but i have a good vibes on him.
Hi' Tru Cullens Spirit; I find this topic very intersting. Based on myself & others hed started Petitions, about preventing him from having anything to do with everything Twilight. But we closed them, because Stephenie Meyer had strongly decided to use him. This really did hurt to have to do .Because we Twilight Fans are very passionate about "The Twilight Saga' . And I don't see how he can possibly be as passionate. He might do okay with the Newborns...? And I don't know if you guys heard what comment he made on Twitter back in 11/08. This was reported in 5/09, on (The Daily 10 ). The comment was taken off his Twitter page. And he apologized to us The Twilight Fans, & Stephenie Meyer. But as I stated on my petition. his apology to me was like (James trying to apologies to Bella & Edward & the rest of the Cullens family after all the damage was already done. Here's his comment.
"Twilight Drunk , No Not Even Drunk".
"Twilight On Acid", No Not Even On Acid".
"Twilight With A Gun ", Just Shoot Me!"
He said at the time he had not seen or read Twilight: yeah whatever these are very harsh words. Even though we closed the petitions,. I still sent Summit Entertainment a letter , letting them know how we felt about what he said. And there were petitions out there. I haven't heard back. But at least they know!
What all the directors need to do is keep with the books and not change everything so much. Even in the trailer for New Moon the way Jacob jumps over Bella, where is that in the book. and at the party, if Edward would of Pushed Bella like that he would have killed her. I just think they need to get some one that stays with the way the book is and stop changing it. Dont get me wrong i love the movie and cant wait for New Moon and the rest.
Yeah I totally agree with you; and yes I like the movie to & watching the trailer I was excited to finally see it. But at the same time there were changes from the book, I really hope they don't change things to much. And all the different directors this I don't understand. I know what happen with Catherine, I really hope each movie won't have a different Director. Especially David Slade
OMG, when I found out about him directing Eclipse, I got the movie 30 days of night to watch, just to see how it would be, OMG that movie was weird, Eclipse is my favorite book and Im afraid what he will do to it, maybe I'm wrong and he will do great with it. I just don't wat Eclipse to be bad. because its my favorite.
Hard Candy is pretty wierd also. Either you like it or you dont. i didnt.
I am semi excited to see David direct Eclipse. I have to admit I'm looking forward to this more darker version however I have to also admit that the vamps in 30 days of night were not at all scary and looked too much like business men/women on crack than what I would depict a vamp to look like. Over all 30 days of night was dark and creepy but not that great of a movie. I'm hoping we can count on David to keep real to the book and add a darker twist to those newborn vamps at the end of the story!!!!!
I thought I read somewhere in the past that he was even quoted as saying he believe Twlight wasn't a good movie or dumb. Cant remember exactly. I really feel they would have been best to stay w/the Director that they had in the beginning Cathrine Hardwlick-- or whatever her name is She did such and Outstanding job the first time I personally think she would just get even better...... Im sorry but when it comes to Romance/love stories like Twlight I personally feel a woman has a better understanding Of what Women want vice a man. HOw men and women see relationships is total different. I know that is a "sexist" statement but lets be honest. Twlight takes me to a love Most of us will only truly ever dream of in ourlifetimes.. sorry to make anyone mad its just my personal opinion..
You have taken the words right out of my mouth, I could not have said it better.
Pretty well stated. I'm a much larger fan of Twilight, the book, than the movie. I have come to appreciate the movie as a quick fix for the book and the story, but it was fairly disjointed. The first time I watched it, I was like... Its alright, it'll do I suppose. But the more I watched it and thought about it. If you HADN'T read the book, there was SO much that you couldn't get from the movie. It tried to imply certain things, but mostly failed. I understand why you hear so many stories of husbands that went with their wives to see it, and came out thinking "That's what you've been all worked up over?" Fortunately, my wife and I both read it first so there was none of that, but we both came away feeling disappointed in the movie initially.
30 days and Nights....ugh. He'll make a retarded Zombie movie. I'd rather see a Mike Newell or David Yates type.
I'd rather keep the story and loose all the special effects.
Personally, I don't think that she is dazzled by the dollars. I think that since she has publicly stated that she likes the different directors for the movies since they bring a fresh perspective and interpretation, like many readers will have, it is logical to change again. As for who they chose, I don't believe that she has a LOT of say in that. I agree that the underlying story, the whole point, is the love story between Bella and Edward, but feel that if you are going to have an action-oriented director for one of the books' adaptations, Eclipse is it. It can't be Breaking Dawn. That has to be almost pure drama and suspense. It couldn't be Twilight, as that had to set a grand stage for the foundation of the saga. New Moon... Could have been it, but it really ramps up the action/intensity in Eclipse. Lets just hope that he has enough understanding to keep the overtones where they need to be, and allows the love story to outshine a spectacular set of action sequences, rather than the other way around. One last point, SM wrote the books to share her world with people (ultimately, the fans). Summit is NOT making movies for the same reason. I'm sure they feel that throwing an action-flick director on one of the movies (and number three makes more sense than number 4) will expand the audience a bit, maybe bring in some more male audience money.

Just my two cents, I suppose.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hachette Book Group.

Report an Issue | Guidelines  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service